Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Covid restrictions on travelling to europe after jan1st

Poster: A snowHead
@LaForet, pretty sure EHIC continuance has been ruled out by the UK.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

And another article re Covid restrictions etc

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/12/holidays-after-brexit-without-ehic-holidaymakers-may-face-medical-bills-costing-thousands/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2 points -

1. for example the French rules for 3rd countries:

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/
And UK will be in para 2

2. And a comment elsewhere that travel insurance premiums will rise to cover most or all of the current £156m overseas health care costs of travellers, which I presume but not stated, is the EHIC cost to UK.

I'm planning to go to my boat in N France on 26 Dec, then rented Swiss apartment 31 Dec till at least mid March. And I have an application in for French Carte de Sejour, otherwise it will be a French long term visa.

I definitely don't want to be in UK in January. If we thought bare shelves in lockdown was bad, January will be terrible.
All those non thinking Brexiteers will suddenly find quite severe food inflation, 10% car tariffs taking us back to the old 10% car tax, etc etc.
And even Ratcliffe/Ineos have cut and run to build the Grenadier car in France instead of Bridgend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If we thought bare shelves in lockdown was bad, January will be terrible.

New year’s diet will start off well, so every cloud Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Well that’s that then for this season.

F*CK EU!

Err, the UK has chosen to remove itself both from the EU and the EEA, so quite logically both organisations are chosing to treat the UK as a non-member country as from 1st January and will be applying the same Covid-19 entry requirements (based on that country's infection rates) as they apply to all other non member countries.

If there's anything to be blamed it's Brexit, so one could perhaps more accurately say...

F*CK BREXIT! Wink

Well said that man! Little islanders' Euro chickens coming home to roost, indeed.

What a nightmare. Sad Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, Yep. So if your holiday starts on, or after 1/1/2021, then the EHIC is not valid. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AL9000 wrote:
@Alastair Pink, I think the “a” gives it away. She can visit ... as can her household. So bring your sleeping bag, we’re moving in snowHead

But is it the case that to have a Meldezettel the property has to be your main residence?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As for EHIC rule, yes but will the local hospitals etc know that interpretation??

And that NHS page has changed. Section on transition doesn't appear to be there. Now this:

Visits to the EU that start in 2020 and end in 2021
If you're visiting an EU country over the Christmas and New Year period, your UK EHIC entitlements will continue until you leave that country to either:

return to the UK
visit another EU country

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-12-20 11:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's all about "taking back control". The EU and EU member states have taken control, and unsurprisingly the UK is excluded - you don't leave the club and still have unfettered access to the clubhouse!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Austrian Seagull, yes a Meldezettel is from your Gemeinde and it's a registration of your main residence. Anmeldebescheunigung is either your full residency right or second home residency as an EU/EEA citizen obtained from your BH. Of course these are irrelevant to Brits from 1.1.21. Those living permanently in Austria need to apply for an Article 50 EUV and those who do not are subject to the 90-day rule.

Only for Austria of course.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 10-12-20 11:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I think this - Covid + Brexit - is conflating two already very uncertain unknowns.

+1 No useful purpose served by getting too het up today. The long term possibilities are so dismal that the uncertainty about it all is perhaps a faint hope to hang on to...... We don't yet know for certain that we're fecked.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, yes a Meldezettel is from your Gemeinde and it's a registration of your main residence. Anmeldebescheunigung is either your full residency right or second home residency as an EU/EEA citizen obtained from your BH. Of course these are irrelevant to Brits from 1.1.21. Those living permanently in Austria need to apply for an Article 50 EUV and those who do not are subject to the 90-day rule.

Only for Austria of course.

Agreed, which doesn’t help Hells Bells, who wants to visit her Austrian second home after 1 Jan.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Agreed, which doesn’t help Hells Bells, who wants to visit her Austrian second home after 1 Jan.
Her apartment is in France, not Austria.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@colinstone, a similar strategy to ourselves though minus the boat Laughing

Did retirees application this week, though not too sure we'll take it up yet, but gives us six months.

Votre demande de titre de séjour a été instruite par la préfecture. Elle porte le numéro suivant : 44***** (numéro «GED» à rappeler dans vos futures démarches).

Vous êtes invité(e) à prendre rendez-vous auprès de votre préfecture pour finaliser votre démarche (prise d'empreintes biométriques et photographie).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BBC about to update soon. This just hit the webpage.
"
EU publishes contingency plans in case of possible collapse of Brexit trade talks with the UK, including measures for air and road travel
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version."

Link
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55259144

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 10-12-20 11:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Android2000 wrote:
UK citizens can currently travel to (say) Germany, it’s just that they are required to do a period of quarantine on arrival, as indeed are German citizens returning from UK.

In January the situation will be entirely different.

There will be no right to travel to (say) Germany unless for one of the exempted reasons.

Finland offers no automatic rights to travel to/from other EU/EEC Countries
Its a Countries decision who to let in, who not, who has to quarantine & who does not.
Its not EU law & it certainly is not EU v Brexit
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Android2000 wrote:
UK citizens can currently travel to (say) Germany, it’s just that they are required to do a period of quarantine on arrival, as indeed are German citizens returning from UK.

In January the situation will be entirely different.

There will be no right to travel to (say) Germany unless for one of the exempted reasons.

Finland offers no automatic rights to travel to/from other EU/EEC Countries
Its a Countries decision who to let in, who not, who has to quarantine & who does not.
Its not EU law & it certainly is not EU v Brexit

Brexit is relevant from January, because as stated above the UK becomes a third country. Only a small number of states with v. low Covid cases rates are permitted to enter Schengen, and this IS a matter of EU Law:

https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-9208-2020-INIT/en/pdf
snow report
Given the UK has imposed quarantine on return from the vast majority of the EU, there are no surprises here.

But it won't be long before Swiss style self interest will emerge. Protests in Bourg against the killing of the Tarentaise ski industry, along the costas etc.

Given that most of the EU has mismanaged the second wave, with even the German exception almost a distant memory, it may be better for us all if we limited travel, even if that is gutting for skiers. As some countries have now managed to get the infection rates down others are still rising.
snow conditions
Aah, B****t. The gift that keeps on taking away.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Austrian Seagull wrote:

Apologies for confusing anyone. The point I was trying to make is that second home ownership in Austria won’t give UK nationals an automatic right of entry to Austria post 1 Jan if the current US arrangements are applied to the UK.
snow report
colinstone wrote:
2 points -

1. for example the French rules for 3rd countries:

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/
And UK will be in para 2

2. And a comment elsewhere that travel insurance premiums will rise to cover most or all of the current £156m overseas health care costs of travellers, which I presume but not stated, is the EHIC cost to UK.

I'm planning to go to my boat in N France on 26 Dec, then rented Swiss apartment 31 Dec till at least mid March. And I have an application in for French Carte de Sejour, otherwise it will be a French long term visa.

I definitely don't want to be in UK in January. If we thought bare shelves in lockdown was bad, January will be terrible.
All those non thinking Brexiteers will suddenly find quite severe food inflation, 10% car tariffs taking us back to the old 10% car tax, etc etc.
And even Ratcliffe/Ineos have cut and run to build the Grenadier car in France instead of Bridgend.

Not having a go a you personally really but you’ve just articulated exactly why so many less well off people voted for it. Advertising how wealthy you are is so neuveu riche. Maybe you should stay here and use you resources to help feed starving brexiteers
ski holidays
Austrian Seagull wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Austrian Seagull wrote:

Apologies for confusing anyone. The point I was trying to make is that second home ownership in Austria won’t give UK nationals an automatic right of entry to Austria post 1 Jan if the current US arrangements are applied to the UK.

Except the exemptions seemingly do provide for this .

• Persons with a residence in Austria the EU, EEA, or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican, Switzerland or the UK and persons living in the same household
latest report
luigi wrote:
Usually would have been making plans and booking flights/accommodation by now for Half Term 2021. Just too much uncertainty for me...safety/operation of flights, airline failure, overall economic uncertainty, safety of being in enclosed lifts, border closure, quarantine restrictions, etc.

2021 is definitely wait & see. If an effective vaccine gets delivered and things look ok before half-term, it will be a last-minute trip. If the prices are sky-high, I will likely have to pass.

luigi wrote:
I admire the positivity and fully hope it will all be ok, but I'm not laying out my hard-earned cash until I'm certain the virus risk has been mitigated, there aren't going to be more waves of infection or an ongoing deepening economic malaise. Still way too many downside risks for me to start jumping now! Very Happy

luigi wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
in the UK we are 8 weeks into this, 8 weeks & look how much has changed. Other countries are starting to open up after 10 weeks, 2 weeks before the quoted 12 week period that was banding about, now the next ski season is some 30+ weeks away, so I say less of the scaremongering & a bit more positivity.
I already have 6 trips planned & I can assure you I will fit a couple more in, lets be a bit more positive.

Until the second wave of death plague slams into the Alps next winter.

Even thou we’re still living through it, you still don’t get it. The second wave will not slam into the Alps, it will slam into everywhere if it comes.
You just sit wherever you are waiting for cancer to get you & leave us to be positive

I'm not defending Whitegold's provocative language, he likes to troll, but a second wave of infection next winter, if not before is a distinct possibility without a vaccine or the fabled 'herd immunity'.

You're right it could affect many places, but flights, leisure accommodation and lift operations could well be curtailed as they were in the first wave, so my argument is why throw hard-earned at them now when you don't know what will be happening then?

I do hope it will all go away as fast as it arrived, but it's too soon to be jumping the gun IMHO Very Happy

Seems like my comments back in May quoted above were quite prescient...not sure they were welcome at the time though! Laughing

I still hope Boris can pull something out of his hat, so Jonny996 can get his 6 trips in though! Shocked

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152153&start=120#4592982

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-12-20 11:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Interesting genomic analysis of covid strains published yesterday showed that the Scottish 1st wave was almost eradicated and the rise in cases has been down to strains imported from other places; EG returns from holiday abroad, Travel between England and Scotland. Scotland and USA.

Source
https://www.cogconsortium.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/9th-December-2020-COG-UK-Report-Scotland-SARS-CoV-2-a-genomics-perspective-SAGE.pdf

Easy read version
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55246112
snow conditions
Austrian Seagull wrote:
The point I was trying to make is that second home ownership in Austria won’t give UK nationals an automatic right of entry to Austria post 1 Jan if the current US arrangements are applied to the UK.
Yes, the reality of life as a Third Country.
ski holidays
Android2000 wrote:
and this IS a matter of EU Law:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It is Countries decision who they allow in, who they do not allow in.
Not the EU. That link is a recommendation, not a law.

Every country in Europe (EU Countries & non EU Countries) have their own rules.
Some countries rely on tourism. Spain was begging UK to take it off the naughty list for example.
If the relative risk is low from the destination country, then they will be allowed to travel.
EU Citizens have no automatic right to travel to Finland for example.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, maybe it gets absorbed quicker through lobster red skin and freckles. wink
latest report
r11s wrote:

• Persons with a residence in Austria the EU, EEA, or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican, Switzerland or the UK and persons living in the same household
Will those exemptions apply after 31 December 2020?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The full wording is “ Persons with a residence in Austria the EU, EEA, or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican, Switzerland or the UK and persons living in the same household (i.e. holders of a "Meldezettel") ”

My point is that second home owners will not have a Meldezettel.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Interesting genomic analysis of covid strains published yesterday showed that the Scottish 1st wave was almost eradicated and the rise in cases has been down to strains imported from other places; EG returns from holiday abroad, Travel between England and Scotland. Scotland and USA.

Source
https://www.cogconsortium.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/9th-December-2020-COG-UK-Report-Scotland-SARS-CoV-2-a-genomics-perspective-SAGE.pdf

Easy read version

Are you saying the Scots shouldn't have been let to roam freely last summer?! Shocked

And to think my ancestors built a wall nearly 2000 years ago that would have prevented this situation if it had been properly maintained!! Laughing

I am part-Scottish too, so it's only a wee joke! wink snowHead
snow report
So people are fed up of blaming Brexit on everything, so then blame covid...now its back to brexit, we’ll all be blaming it on the boogey next i suppose
ski holidays
@luigi, Happy

Nope just highlighting that the major contribution to accelerating Covid19 cases is travel (local and international).

And what have the Romans ever done for us. Happy
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Android2000 wrote:
and this IS a matter of EU Law:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It is Countries decision who they allow in, who they do not allow in.
Not the EU. That link is a recommendation, not a law.

Every country in Europe (EU Countries & non EU Countries) have their own rules.
Some countries rely on tourism. Spain was begging UK to take it off the naughty list for example.
If the relative risk is low from the destination country, then they will be allowed to travel.
EU Citizens have no automatic right to travel to Finland for example.

No, EU Citizens do have the right to enter Finland. There is an exception to this at the moment, whereby under the Schengen Agreement states are able to introduce border controls for a temporary period due to the health emergency, which is how Finland has effectively closed it's border. But when Covid is over, EU citizens will maintain their right to free movement to Finland.

UK citizens will not have such a right to enter any EU state. As of 1st January. As a direct consequence of Brexit.
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
we’ll all be blaming it on the boogey next i suppose

I think that is the reason for everyone's existence, so ultimately yes!!

The world might have been spared if a lot of people's parents had never done the Boogie!! Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
r11s wrote:

Will those exemptions apply after 31 December 2020?

I'd be fascinated to see if this works for other countries in the EU ie. I am on the deeds of a property in Spain (well my maiden name me is!) and we could use this to visit France. Although if not France, would it work for driving through other countries to say visit Austria?
ski holidays
This confluence of circumstances is presenting British skiers with a formidable labyrinth of items to be considered and researched before making a trip. The prospect of this will put a significant portion off before they even start thinking about it. A further group will, like me, be looking at January and thinking that with a no deal Brexit likely, there will be punitive measures taken by the Eurocracy. So, to a sizeable minority or possibly even a small majority, the shrinking ski season is further reduced in length. Plus, the fear of travel that has been brought about by the Government and media over COVID-19 has hammered consumer confidence in the already decimated sector, an entire day's scheduled flights from Heathrow now fits on three screens.

I'm of the mind that there is always a way to do something, the question to be answered is to what lengths will you go to do it, but we have here two major obstacles: the deterrence policies from Brexit and the C19 panic on international travel, and the market for travel/accommodation/resort options that is virtually unrecognizable from one year ago. Any trip now will cost more in time(more time spent planning and adjusting things for when favorable windows open up) and money, because we will want more flexibility and protection, as is usual in a damaged market.

Whatever your position and thoughts on Brexit and COVID-19, I'd like to put the following question out: Where will the burden of this strangest of ski seasons fall heaviest?

For some context, I voted remain but am not unhappy about Brexit. Whilst I've friends in France and Germany, and love visiting other countries, I don't approve of the EU. More government is, in my view, generally not an improvement for most matters.

For practical information on travel after Jan 1st...get in touch with an embassy. If you do go, make sure you have insurance!
snow report
Android2000 wrote:

UK citizens will not have such a right to enter any EU state. As of 1st January. As a direct consequence of Brexit.

we all new that when voting.
Leave the customs union
leave the single market
end free movement
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Source

Easy read version

Are you saying the Scots shouldn't have been let to roam freely last summer?! Shocked

And to think my ancestors built a wall nearly 2000 years ago that would have prevented this situation if it had been properly maintained!! Laughing

I think you will find that the majority of Scots followed the guidance and stayed at home - but there were quite a lot of folks who decided to travel to Scotland from abroad and from the UK.

If the Scottish borders had been closed - then we would not have seen the import of these new strains of virus.

Brexit had already cost me a fortune and we have not even started yet. I think independence for Scotland and getting right back into Europe (as over 70% of Scotland voted for) is the way to go. Yes i'm happy to have the euro as my currency. That would save me money for a start.
latest report
ropetow wrote:
luigi wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Source

Easy read version

I think you will find that the majority of Scots followed the guidance and stayed at home - but there were quite a lot of folks who decided to travel to Scotland from abroad and from the UK.

If the Scottish borders had been closed - then we would not have seen the import of these new strains of virus. The bald facts - are that people have died as a result of this.

Brexit had already cost me a fortune and we have not even started yet. I think independence for Scotland and getting right back into Europe (as over 70% of Scotland voted for) is the way to go. Yes i'm happy to have the euro as my currency. That would save me money for a start.
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
What would happen if the Swiss plough their own furrow and allow UK to fly to GVA? Assuming the border between CH and F stays open?

That's what I am pinning my hopes on.......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy