Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Covid restrictions on travelling to europe after jan1st

Poster: A snowHead
>for example, today's paper is reporting the possibility of reciprocal arrangements to replace the EHIC for people with chronic but not life-threatening conditions).

Which one please??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peerless ploughman wrote:
Presumably if British tourists are excluded from mainland europe from 1 jan 21, European visitors will find themselves similarly excluded from the UK which they're not at the moment.

colinstone wrote:
Might be an unequal playing field rather like the 90 days for UK in EU and 180 days for EU in UK!!

After Dec 31st the UK will be completely out of the EU and both the UK and EU will be free to set whatever immigration and entry rules they like with respect to one-another. As each has complete freedom over it's rules there is no reason to expect those rules to be the same. And if we DO just mirror the EU rules what exactly is the point of "taking back control"?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy wrote:
....I don't think EEA passport holders need worry about their passport gates.

Except when returning to the UK. Over time, I would expect most UK airports to change the 'EU/EEA' lanes to 'UK only' lanes. EU/EEA passport holders may get a separate lane, but may have to join the "rest of the world" queues - which are sometimes quicker but more commonly a lot slower.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@colinstone,

It is in most papers - Official site here :: Note - It only applies to persons with certain illnesses/circumstances

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/#:~:text=For%20most%20people%2C%20EHIC%20may,cover%20with%20your%20travel%20insurance.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ecureuil wrote:
andy wrote:
....I don't think EEA passport holders need worry about their passport gates.

Except when returning to the UK. Over time, I would expect most UK airports to change the 'EU/EEA' lanes to 'UK only' lanes. EU/EEA passport holders may get a separate lane, but may have to join the "rest of the world" queues - which are sometimes quicker but more commonly a lot slower.

I don't think there will be 'UK only' lanes, maybe UK+Ireland/CTA ones.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@albob, Yes, but on NHS site you need to have registered abroad in some way - S1 etc. Had my hopes u when you mentioned "the possibility of reciprocal arrangements to replace the EHIC for people with chronic...".
Oh well, wait and see!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@colinstone, this applies I think to those unfortunate enough to need regular dialysis or other treatment such as chemotherapy or continuous oxygen wishing to go on holiday. Currently they can arrange treatment in the country they are travelling to, but it wasn't going to continue after 1st Jan. However it has now been agreed that they can. No need to be registered abroad with S1 in this instance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, that is interesting. I need a regular blood test and get a vampire to drain some blood every now and again. I'll investigate further. Thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@colinstone The article is UK tourists who need routine treatment to be covered in EU for 12 months

I have for some time suspected that if it thinks the loss of votes is more costly than funding an EHIC replacement, then the government would spend the money. For me, this is the first in a series of measures. If they can cover only the acutely sick but not everyone, then they'll stop at this point. But when people start to point out that they can travel abroad if they're ill (at the taxpayers expense) but can't if they are well (e.g. because they're over-60) then the government will concede the full package i.e. they'll underwrite a full EHIC replacement. Going abroad on holiday cuts across many traditional political demographics, so there's a real danger that non-replacement of EHIC would upset a very broad constituency. Worse, as we see at the moment, it would hit the more conservative-by-nature over-60s who might well not be able to get travel cover at all if they lose the current EHIC benefits. 57% of the 60-69 age group and 67% of the 70+ age group voted Tory in the last election, so this must be a significant concern.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 18-12-20 15:18; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've now looked at the NHS and nothing there on how to apply. Tried the current EHIC application and told not eligible.
As an aside but similar. My sister was on dialysis and in the early 1980s we flew with a suitcase sized dialysis machine to Morzine. It was just rigged up using the bedroom basin taps etc. Mother took charge and sis gorged on chocolate while it was pumping away.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Moving to Sweden in November looks like one of the best decisions I've made in recent times! Hopefully by March/April I'll be able to drive to Norway to ski, at the minute I'm 'stuck' with the slightly smaller resorts in Sweden if I want to stay local.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just spoken to NHS EHIC team. They hadn't heard of that written statement. So now beavering away to work out what to do!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No exemption on EU Covid travel restrictions for UK
The EU has issued its final list this year of non-EU countries from which visitors may come in because Covid is well-controlled.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/No-exemption-on-EU-Covid-travel-restrictions-for-UK?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=2917c5d027-NewsletterOct72020_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9b5fbe85b4-2917c5d027-358619305

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2020/12/17/travel-restrictions-council-reviews-the-list-of-third-countries-for-which-restrictions-on-non-essential-travel-should-be-lifted/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Despite the January 1st Ban for UK Tourists.

This new InselAffen variant of the Plague has bought forward the ban a couple of weeks....

Europe is closing down flights country by country to the UK..
Rest of the World will follow very soon..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55385768

I am not sure which is worse.

Being led by an incompetent Prime Minister........ I mean who voted for the Worlds top clown?

or

Covid19 variant UK.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or given Kent is where the vast majority of Europeans arrive into the UK, where did it come from, depends whose scientists were onto it first, it may have been imported. Whichever way it's too late.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Or given Kent is where the vast majority of Europeans arrive into the UK, where did it come from, depends whose scientists were onto it first, it may have been imported. Whichever way it's too late.

Indeed, it may well have been imported from another country. The Dutch Government said that in early December, sampling of a case in the country had revealed the same virus strain as that found in the UK. https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-netherlands-britain-idUSKBN28U03A Genomic sequencing of historical Covid-19 samples may retrospectively identify where the first example of this new mutation was to be found, but that's really only of academic interest, there's no scope for finger pointing at a country just because a new mutation happened to occur in that particular country. Where there is possibly room for some finger pointing is how a country dealt with the spread of the virus once it became established in the population.....
snow conditions
>how a country dealt with the spread.....

Taiwan 7 C19 deaths out of 24m. Economy growing by 3.5%. Life pretty much normal. Astonishing.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
InselAffen

You slipped that racist slur in very slyly! rolling eyes

So tell us, by which pejorative name do the Dutch prefer to be called...a Cloggie, a Dyke-jumper or a Kaaskop? wink
snow report
@luigi, Nah, overt. He does it often. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@luigi, let’s not stoop to his level; it’s what they enjoy.
ski holidays
Just got a BBC alert - France has banned entry from UK. Passenger and human-handled freight transport suspended for at least 48 hours from midnight.

Castex on twitter: https://twitter.com/JeanCASTEX/status/1340721381546323970
Quote:
Compte tenu du risque sanitaire nouveau, et dans l'attente de son évaluation, l'ensemble des flux de personnes du Royaume-Uni vers la France sont suspendus à partir de ce soir minuit, pour 48 heures, et pour tous les moyens de transport.
snow conditions
fixx wrote:
Just got a BBC alert - France has banned entry from UK. Passenger and human-handled freight transport suspended for at least 48 hours from midnight.

Does "human-handled freight transport" mean normal lorries (as opposed to containers loaded onto ships or trains or whatever)?
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
fixx wrote:

Does "human-handled freight transport" mean normal lorries (as opposed to containers loaded onto ships or trains or whatever)?

I'm not sure - that would make sense though.
snow report
I must say I'm quite skeptical about this new strain. New strains if this and other viruses very common. I think UK explosion in cases 100% to do with lifting of restrictions and people behaviour. But new strain very convenient excuse for Boris to do U-turn and lockdown over Christmas.
latest report
@peanuthead, the recent rate of increase in cases in SE England is enormous though, and there was also a (smaller) increase in the same areas before England's lockdown was lifted.
snow conditions
Quote:

I must say I'm quite skeptical about this new strain. New strains if this and other viruses very common. I think UK explosion in cases 100% to do with lifting of restrictions and people behaviour. But new strain very convenient excuse for Boris to do U-turn and lockdown over Christmas.

This new strain has been galloping through Essex where I live since before the last lockdown ended , one senior school in Chelmsford had over 30 positive cases of children and teachers recorded over the first weekend post lockdown this had nothing to do with the easing of restrictions 3 days before . It has been rife here since mid Nov and is highly contagious.
latest report
Judging by the lemmings crowding into stations and jamming the roads on Saturday night, stupid is a dominant gene. An evidence-led government would have thought of this ahead of time, and shut the stations to anyone except key workers, and put roadblocks on all of the major routes out of London while announcing that mobile phone data would be used to track and fine anyone who left the M25 without permission, and that they would be returned to their home minus any vehicle they had used to exit the area.

I'm all for personal freedoms in normal times, but these are quite definitely not normal times, and the thousands of people who fled from London to escape the lockdown and spend an extended Christmas period with someone else illegally will inevitably mean that tier 4 is just a matter of time for most of the rest of the country. Expect a significant surge in reported cases from 30th December onwards...
snow report
peanuthead wrote:

Maybe, but he didn't look or sound like a man who wanted to do the u-turn and announcing it has caused significant downsides (see recent travel bans), as could've been predicted from the Danish experience.

Some bits of the country didn't have as effective an lockdown as others and this could go some way to explain it. The confidence around the assessment behind this is only moderate, the number of cases isn't huge so the error bars on some of the estimates are quite large, it sounds like there is more lab work being done now, but if there is moderate confidence in a new highly transmissive strain then it seems reasonable to ask people to reduce risks to the absolute minimum while they gather more data, do more science, and they figure out the appropriate response if one is needed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
fixx wrote:

I'm not sure - that would make sense though.

Word on the street is everything is stopping
latest report
Tunnel closing to France bound traffic at 22.00 hrs
snow report
URGENT: UK-France border closes 23:00 GMT tonight. Last shuttle UK-FR is 21:34 GMT, please check in on time. Access to UK site prohibited from 22:00 GMT.

Amend most bookings using MyEurotunnel: https://t.co/J4wvRBWE64

Request a cancellation/refund: https://t.co/yYTXGiCH4s https://t.co/7qzqEgfQ2A
latest report
Bizarrely, this all feels a bit like a practice run for No Deal. Sorry for any thread drift.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, were you planning on traveling out before 31/12 ?
snow conditions
@Weathercam, No. 23rd is out last day. After that we've decide to xan EU road trips.

Port of Dover is now closed to accompanied vehicles heading to France . No date for reopening Sad
latest report
A new take on the insular Press headline about fog in the channel, "Mutant Covid-19 in Kent, Continent cut off" Sad
snow conditions
b]@Mjit[/bb After Dec 31st the UK will be completely out of the EU....
I know that. Just explain why UK gives 180 days stay???
snow conditions
@colinstone, Maybe a way to emphasise and direct blame to the EU by saying we’re the good guys?
ski holidays
And a Swiss flight/entry from UK ban also added tonight: https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/fr/home/medias/communiqu%C3%A9s-de-presse.msg-id-81764.html
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
fixx wrote:

Containers will be loading as per normal, just human-driven lorries are banned.....
snow conditions
Snowheads could rent a container with climate control etc and ship a bunch of skiers out Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy