Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Covid restrictions on travelling to europe after jan1st

Poster: A snowHead
Some of the UK is already on the risk list.

Current permitted countries include..... United Kingdom (except North East, East Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber)

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr.Egg wrote:
.... UK current rate is 300+ per 100k

Are you sure? There are different possible measurements, but UK 7-day rolling rate is currently about 167 per 100,000. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases

Agree there are parts that are over 300.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How will Austrian immigration know if someone has travelled from one of those parts of the UK?

My passport shows my home address as Nottinghamshire, however, I am currently residing at my Parent's address, where I have been since before the first lockdown.

Vica Versa, I could have a passport address in a lower tier area, but actually have been residing in a tier 3. (This scenario would apply to tens of thousands of Students!)

If I fly from Heathrow, how would they decide if I needed to quarantine, and what proof would I need?

I have no plans to travel to Austria, but just asking in case another EU Country adopts similar rules
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@brianatab, the Austrian rule is rather out of date now and due to expire on Saturday where it will be replaced by a quarantine requirement for countries with a 7-day incidence of more than 100/100,000. From 1st Jan the UK becomes a third country so I believe the incidence rate has to drop even further (under 50?) to be added to the list of "safe" countries.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@brianatab, UK passports don't have your address in them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brianatab wrote:

My passport shows my home address as Nottinghamshire, however, I am currently residing at my Parent's address, where I have been since before the first lockdown.

Unless your passport is very different to mine it doesnt show your address.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ecureuil wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
.... UK current rate is 300+ per 100k

Are you sure? There are different possible measurements, but UK 7-day rolling rate is currently about 167 per 100,000. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases

Agree there are parts that are over 300.

I pulled the 300 from the austrian website - so prob down to when it was last reviewed.
its 300+ in Wales though, So I guess we will be on the naughty list like East Midlands, North East & Yorkshire.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queenie pretty please wrote:
@brianatab, the Austrian rule is rather out of date now and due to expire on Saturday where it will be replaced by a quarantine requirement for countries with a 7-day incidence of more than 100/100,000. From 1st Jan the UK becomes a third country so I believe the incidence rate has to drop even further (under 50?) to be added to the list of "safe" countries.

From what I can work out for 3rd countries
Safe list means you can submit a PCR test taken within 72 hours before arrival
Naughty list means you take a PCR test in Austria within 48 hours of arrival & isolate until you get a negative test result.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mr.Egg, no, that's not true. The current list of safe countries for entry to the EU is as follows:

Australia
Japan
New Zealand
Rwanda
Singapore
South Korea
Thailand
Uruguay
China, subject to confirmation of reciprocity

The UK is not on that list yet as up to 31st December it does not have third country status. Whether the UK makes it onto that list is entirely dependent on the Covid status. The USA has not been on that list at all since the pandemic started.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Egg wrote:
I pulled the 300 from the austrian website - so prob down to when it was last reviewed.
its 300+ in Wales though, So I guess we will be on the naughty list like East Midlands, North East & Yorkshire.

I think you mean like Kent. East Midlands, North East & Yorkshire All below 300. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This shows the difficulty with tying to subdivide countries for covid purposes - things change continuously, and sometimes rapidly. Austria currently excludes "North East, East Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber" but the actual bad parts are now South Wales and Kent/Essex/parts of London.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My passport may not show my address, but is registered there.

Still don't understand how Austrian Immigration would know exactly where in the UK I had traveled from, only the airport of departure, which would be meaningless.

According to the link above, my home address is in an area with 165/100000. However, I live on the corner of a junction. If I cross the road, the number is 110. It I cross the other way, it is 337. Makes the stats meaningless.

My Parent's area is 56. (4 actual cases - probably linked to a party 1/2 a mile away a couple of weeks age. They got fined ). Next district, 50 yards up the road, the rate is so low that it's not registered (less than 3).

The lower the number of people in the area, the greater the effect of 1 case on the rolling average.

So I could probably travel from my parent's address, but not my own, but would be traveling from Heathrow, which is in an area with 156.

How would you decide if I was able to travel or not?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you fly, the airline has to check before boarding that you are eligible to enter the destination country, otherwise they will be fined. In that case, they can check your home address before check in. They might ask you if you have been in a high risk area within the time scale.

If you drive, then the system relies on honesty.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Mr.Egg, no, that's not true. The current list of safe countries for entry to the EU is as follows:

Australia
Japan
New Zealand
Rwanda
Singapore
South Korea
Thailand
Uruguay
China, subject to confirmation of reciprocity

The UK is not on that list yet as up to 31st December it does not have third country status. Whether the UK makes it onto that list is entirely dependent on the Covid status. The USA has not been on that list at all since the pandemic started.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So if by chance they do a Brexit trade deal, does this travel problem go away ??
ski holidays
thunderer wrote:
So if by chance they do a Brexit trade deal, does this travel problem go away ??

No. UK is a third country, regardless of trade deal or no trade deal.
snow report
>How would you decide if I was able to travel or not?

Basically, after 1/1/21 I reckon you won't be able to easily. Get to your destination by 2359 31 Dec!!
latest report
Coronavirus: Germany to go into lockdown over Christmas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55292614

And in today's newspapers there are pictures of staggering UK stupidity being demonstrated in very crowded shopping streets where masses of people will be walking around in a mist of Covid virus.
latest report
colinstone wrote:
Coronavirus: Germany to go into lockdown over Christmas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55292614

And in today's newspapers there are pictures of staggering UK stupidity being demonstrated in very crowded shopping streets where masses of people will be walking around in a mist of Covid virus.

Indeed. And Frau Merkel believes that shopping crowds in Germany caused the spike in covid leading to the lockdown
snow conditions
Switzerland confirms UK passport holders won't be allowed to enter Switzerland from January 1st onwards as tourists due to losing FoM rights post Brexit:

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html#-1876973079

UK citizens who have not acquired rights under the AFMP are regarded as third country citizens when entering Switzerland and no longer have rights of free movement. This means, for example, that UK citizens are no longer allowed to enter Switzerland from the UK as tourists. See ‘Who is not allowed to enter Switzerland?’ under ‘Entering Switzerland’.

Tourists from the UK who hold an EU passport will still be allowed to enter Switzerland, even if travelling directly from the UK.
snow report
Quote:

that UK citizens are no longer allowed to enter Switzerland from the UK as tourists

Eh? Forever?
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

that UK citizens are no longer allowed to enter Switzerland from the UK as tourists

Eh? Forever?

The document is about the covid restrictions introduced in March. My reading is:

UK citizens have been allowed to enter since June when restrictions on freedom of movement within the EU & Switzerland were lifted. Entry from non-EU countries is still restricted and has been since March. The UK reverts to those rules from 1 January. There is no end date but of course restrictions will be lifted once the pandemic is under control.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 17-12-20 13:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

Eh? Forever?

Due to Covid

"Therefore, if you are a UK national you may not enter Switzerland for non-essential travel (e.g. for the purpose of tourism) from 1 January 2021 for as long as the UK is categorized as a high-risk country by Switzerland and these restrictions for non-essential travel remain applicable in the Schengen area, of which Switzerland is a member..."

FAQ 24 -- https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/embassy-in-london/embassy-tasks/political-affairs/brexit-faq.html
snow report
Exactly as I suspected and I am pretty sure that will be the case in all EU countries. There are only around 10 countries worldwide on the safe country list.
latest report
Let’s see..
ski holidays
The nuance is that even though these are Covid restrictions, EU/EEA nationals WILL still be able travel from UK to CH. But UK nationals will not.

Clearly another great Brexit dividend. Will indeed be interesting to see if this is replicated across Schengen.
ski holidays
17th December today. I’d risk 2 Bob that come 2 jan brits won’t be excluded from CH or EU. I’ve been wrong before but the reactions look like more premature knicker twisting by bitter people with whom I respectfully disagree. Time will tell.
snow conditions
r11s wrote:
17th December today. I’d risk 2 Bob that come 2 jan brits won’t be excluded from CH or EU. I’ve been wrong before but the reactions look like more premature knicker twisting by bitter people with whom I respectfully disagree. Time will tell.

I think if I had to place 2 bob on what the situation will be on 2nd January, it's that UK citizens will be excluded from EU / Schengen.

So, for a giggle, I'm willing to take that wager, with the loser paying 10p into the snowheads coffers. Deal? Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deal
latest report
See you on the 2nd!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you until then Smile
snow report
And to you and everyone else . I was due to go to CH on 2nd jan but this is now cancelled irrespective of any restrictions. Fingers firmly crossed for March somewhere . Anywhere!!
ski holidays
Presumably if British tourists are excluded from mainland europe from 1 jan 21, European visitors will find themselves similarly excluded from the UK which they're not at the moment.
Assuming no convincing covid justification, in terms of a big difference in covid rates in their favour compared with UK.
As far as I know, most of the main skiing countries currently have a covid problem roughly as bad as the UK or worse. Exceptions Norway & Finland I think.
snow conditions
I’m not sure and can’t immediately find any information about covid restrictions on entering the UK beyond the quarantine requirements... think it could conceivably be a one-way restriction?
snow report
Might be an unequal playing field rather like the 90 days for UK in EU and 180 days for EU in UK!!
latest report
Might evaporate to nothing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops @Mr.Egg covid aside, travelling with EU passport from 3rd word country, I will not be queuing like 3rd country UK citizens. With EU passport one is treated as EU citizen. Neg covid test will not be a problem either.
latest report
@kedsky, Ironically, when I returned to Gatwick from my last bash, the only passengers who didn't queue were half a dozen 3rd Country passport holders. They went straight through their gate.

The remaining 95%, all EU, had to form a queue to get through 10 gates.

Not that it made much difference overall, as we were all through by the time luggage appeared.
latest report
I'm sure that most international airports will adapt the number of EU/3rd Country gates to match the expected flow of passengers. It's in their interests not to have too many people queuing back down the passageways, as this will also delay the EU residents.
snow report
Well places like Frankfurt have installed shed loads of e-gates, many of which are totally segregated rather than dynamically allocatable, which presumably will be faster still once UK passports are no longer permitted in that bit
Now maybe one day they'll make the Manchester arrival e-gates as swift as Frankfurt ones. Manchester it's always a massive snake to get through. Frankfurt the queue keeps moving too quick, for me to multitask getting passport ready at the right page in one hand (specially the new type with photo on page rather than inside cover), while unlocking phone and entering PIN with the other.
I don't think EEA passport holders need worry about their passport gates.
snow report
We're dealing with three unknown variables here - 1. UK Citizen (Non-EU) Status 2. National Covid Status and 3. 'soft' Political relationships. Conflating them confuses things even further.

We still don't really know where we stand with [1] because no Agreement has been finalised, and an Agreement may get us some traveller benefits (for example, today's paper is reporting the possibility of reciprocal arrangements to replace the EHIC for people with chronic but not life-threatening conditions). And we certainly don't know where we stand with [2] because the relative key metrics (covid infections/100K, deaths/100K, R etc.) and their granularity (all of UK, England, REgion, County etc.) changes. And we don't really know how the more nebulous political relationships will pan out (e.g. the UK putting CH on the blacklist when by almost every metric, the UK is in a worse situation than Switzerland while arrivals from the UK into CH don't have to quarantine - how long is it until the Swiss retaliate?).

So all in all, at the moment, aren't there too many variables? But perhaps after 1.1.2021, at least some of them will be clearer.

However, to be constructive, here are some of the UK, French and Swiss official sites that I've found useful for up-to-date information:

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 18-12-20 12:27; edited 5 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy