Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitting advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm hoping to head out to St. Anton on the 27th of December and was wondering if anyone knows of some good boot fitters out there at a good price, or if it is cheaper to get them fitted in England?
Also, which fairly cheap alpine boots are best for an intermediate/advanced skier.
Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@GeorgeP0902, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

The "best" boots are the ones that fit you the best. Price is a secondary consideration really.

Some great boot fitters in the UK. Where are you located?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As said above, if you make price a primary consideration, there is a good chance you will end up in poorly fitted boots.

Provided you have access to a good Bootfitter in either scenario, the thing to weigh up, are the advantages/disadvantages of buying in resort vs buying at home.

Personally, I like getting them fitted in resort at the start of the holiday, as I can get any adjustments made through the week. The downside is if issues arise when not in resort.

If I lived close to a great Bootfitter in the UK and had access to a Fridge, then I would probably take this option.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-12-20 15:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're not comfortable trying to do it yourself (which I think is the only "cheap" option when it comes to anything that involves professional skills and experience) then cheap boots/fitting and expensive ski holiday (ski holidays by definition tend to be expensive) is a tricky combination.

I've only ever been to one _proper_ bootfitter (SOLE in Chamonix) and, in my earlier skiing days, a few shops that claimed to have bootfitters. Broadly, my experience is that if they are selling cheap boots, and are themselves cheap, they aren't a bootfitter.

I always do it in resort, on day 1/2, at the end of the day when my feet are a bit battered anyway, so a bit less tolerant. Then plenty of days left for tweaking.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GeorgeP0902, Jennewein in St Anton centre. You might need an appointment. The price may be negotiable, it’s always good to ask, and they have a stack of sale items too. (I got some fitted there last season, and they gave 20% off RRP so it worked out okay). Fitting in resort early in the week means you can go back for free modifications as you need them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, +1 for the one next to Galzig.
We used them this January upon arrival. Many brands and models.
Obviously not cheap but very professional and not trying to sell you anything
An experienced and awfully picky friend of mine went for a rather tight freeride boot and has returned 3 consecutive evenings for minor adjustments (toes etc.), it was always ready and much better in the next morning. First time I saw him happy with his boots...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GeorgeP0902, As you're going to be there all season I'd do it in resort, that way you can go back again and again for tweaks if needed. And let them know you'll be there all season and you might get a better deal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GeorgeVII I'm located in Dorset, so not ideal for boot fitters..
The closest one is Team Ski, in Dorchester
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drporat wrote:
@Scarlet, +1 for the one next to Galzig.
We used them this January upon arrival. Many brands and models.
Obviously not cheap but very professional and not trying to sell you anything
An experienced and awfully picky friend of mine went for a rather tight freeride boot and has returned 3 consecutive evenings for minor adjustments (toes etc.), it was always ready and much better in the next morning. First time I saw him happy with his boots...

Shoes are a very individual thing. There is no company that sews shoes that fit absolutely everyone. There are people with unique foot shapes and it is extremely difficult for them to choose something suitable.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
@GeorgeP0902, Jennewein in St Anton centre. You might need an appointment. The price may be negotiable, it’s always good to ask, and they have a stack of sale items too. (I got some fitted there last season, and they gave 20% off RRP so it worked out okay). Fitting in resort early in the week means you can go back for free modifications as you need them.
I didn't like Jennewein at all.
Went in for new liners, with a friend who was after new boots. His teenage son had got boots done there the year before and was pleased with them.
Basically, once they had my money (and they weren't cheap), nothing was too little hassle to be grumpy and surly about. It was that obvious that my friend turned around and went elsewhere for his boots... thanking me for my sacrifice rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@admin, Did you not even get schnapps? They had a good laugh while I balanced on the footbed moulding machine with a glass of their finest firewater rolling eyes Laughing

Originally, I went in before season opening when it was quiet, as I knew it would take a while – 6hrs in the end, but we did stop for lunch. I went back a couple of weeks later for a bit of stretching, but they're fine now. Overall, I saw three different fitters (the first time, I swapped a German speaking fitter with the American when an Austrian woman came in, as native language makes things easier for everyone). No issues or grumpiness at all, and by then it was a busy Saturday afternoon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GeorgeP0902, whatever you do, don't shop ski boots with your wallet, this is the one piece of kit that affects more than any other your comfort performance and enjoyment, if money is tight right now, rent for this trip and save up a little longer

there is always the debate about resort verses at home, there is good and bad in both but at the end of the day it comes down to the fitter for the most part, at home you want to have tested (ideally) on a dry slope or snow centre to wear the boots in a bit, but then you have the advantage of if you need future mods you are in the same country and speaking the same language, in resort you can test immediately and go back for mods but do you want to spend your holiday in the shop each evening and after your week it will cost you for adjustments anywhere else (unless of course you go to the same place each season

good luck getting sorted

ps Dorset isnt that far wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I PREFER to have my boot fitting done near the mountain. That said, over the past 30+ years of skiing, I've had met some really good boot fitters. They do the fitting quite well. Well enough I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the middle of summer without getting on snow right away.

Bottom line, if you KNOW a good fitter in resort, do that. However, if you don't, but know a good one NOT in resort, I would still use that one. A good fitter is a good fitter wherever they're located.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GeorgeP0902, Ask for Jeff or Jurgen at Jennwein, best bootfitters I know, we buy from them. Should be able to get a deal, can't see many people being there.....huge choice, not "cheap" though, you get what you pay for ime.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy