Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis did I buy?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair in a charity shop. I haven't been skiing in 20 years. They are a bit scuffed underneath.

So the numbers / words on them are .

Rossignol, Meribel, sport mid size, fibroblast - made in france. A sticker in the middle says "toko - makes you ski better". 182 LOOK bindings.

Then on edge Y 185 1AH 21 01 00553.

I think they are just cheap downhill skis?

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They look like they belong in a museum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm afraid those belong in the recycling...and look like they came from the early to mid 70s.

If you are going to get back into skiing, buy some modern skis from the likes of Glisshop, or hire - and get some lessons, to make the changes needed to get the most from the newer generation of skis.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 28-11-20 20:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ancient ones.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok they cost me £5, now I live about 30mins from a ski center in Scotland and thought I may go a couple of times to remember old days, I don't plan on going often, well I'll see how it goes. Would these not do the job for a couple of days skiing, are LOOK bingings not a newish binding?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ram80 wrote:
Would these not do the job for a couple of days skiing...

In a word....NO.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:
Ram80 wrote:
Would these not do the job for a couple of days skiing...

In a word....NO.

Ok, why would modern skiis be better, just better traction, glide etc?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm afraid you were robbed. Make them into a chair or something? The binding are decades old, maybe 40 years from the looks of them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only good thing is that you've kindly given a charity a fiver. But don't try and ski them. You'll ski better and more easily and most importantly more safely on modern hire skis.
I hesitate to ask, but what were you going to do for boots?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ram80 wrote:

The Bindings on those skis are no longer indemnified and are probably not safe.

Modern skis are much shorter, and much more "Shaped".

Old-School "straight" skis have a Radius of about 60m, which requires Old-School technique to ski.

A modern Piste Ski is at least 30 cm shorter and has a turn radius of about 14m. They are much easier and less effort to ski, with some modifications on technique required to make the most of them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Ram80 wrote:

The Bindings on those skis are no longer indemnified and are probably not safe.

This is the most important point, you cannot be sure that your boots will release from the bindings if you fall.

The other comments also apply:

Old Fartbag wrote:
Modern skis are much shorter, and much more "Shaped".

Old-School "straight" skis have a Radius of about 60m, which requires Old-School technique to ski.

A modern Piste Ski is at least 30 cm shorter and has a turn radius of about 14m. They are much easier and less effort to ski, with some modifications on technique required to make the most of them.

@Ram80 P.S Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeh hello btw also.

I take your advice, do you think anyone would buy these as an antique?

I'll just hire. These would probably be the era of skis I used in the early 90s at school hence they looked 'normal' to me, I haven't seen a set of skis since then. And I did wonder as said above how I would get boots to fit.

But that settles it, if modern skis are easier to ski on then why bother with these.

We must have been hardy back in the 90s, I do vaguely remember having a few smashes into people.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 28-11-20 18:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ram80 wrote:
Yeh hello btw also.

I take your advice, do you think anyone would buy these as an antique?

I'll just hire. These would probably be the era of skis I used in the early 90s at school hence they looked 'normal' to me, I haven't seen a set of skis since then. And I did wonder as said above how I would get boots to fit.

But that settles it, if modern skis are easier to ski on then why bother with these.

We have have been hardy back in the 90s, I do vaguely remember having a few smashes into people.

For an antique to put on your wall, look for ancient wooden skis, with cable bindings.

IMV. There is little interesting in those skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just realised that the brake is on the toe piece of the binding, guess it was the style at the time. Quite like the look of the binding but definitely wouldn't trust them not to kill my knees.

I'd consider using them to make a sledge with, could be entertaining.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Just realised that the brake is on the toe piece of the binding, guess it was the style at the time.

At least they have a brake. The first skis I used only had a strap.
ski holidays
Welcome to SnowHeads @Ram80,

I think the sledge runners are the best idea.
Or leave them in a ski rack outside a restaurant and help yourself to someone else's black pair of skis.
(But not mine please Twisted Evil )

To be honest, I don't think charity shops would or should be allowed to sell them,
they won't even take in a used baby buggy around this way. (Health and safety is the excuse ... but think its more to do with turning the shops into baby buggy parks)

Or sometimes it looks cool to have a pair of skis in your luggage at the airport ... or used to be, when we could afford it Smile

Your cheapest rental skis and boots are going to be a whole lot safer and easier to drive than those babies.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Just realised that the brake is on the toe piece of the binding, guess it was the style at the time.

...and made of mammoth tusks?
Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

This is the most important point, you cannot be sure that your boots will release from the bindings if you fall.

+1

Hire first. Then if you like it:
1) Spend big money on comfy fitted boots
2) Book loads of lessons at an indoor slope with snow
3) Just get basic clothing.
4) Book a cheap all-inclusive package tour.

Enjoy! snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 28-11-20 21:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
AL9000 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

...and made of mammoth tusks?
Madeye-Smiley

No. They were too expensive. Razz
snow report
@Old Fartbag, Very Happy
snow conditions
Ram80 wrote:
I bought a pair in a charity shop. I haven't been skiing in 20 years. They are a bit scuffed underneath.

Rossignol, Meribel, sport mid size, fibroblast - made in france. A sticker in the middle says "toko - makes you ski better". 182 LOOK bindings.

you is a dodgy spam-troller

loved the innocent fishing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
Ram80 wrote:

you is a dodgy spam-troller

loved the innocent fishing Madeye-Smiley

No spam, skis are skis to me atm, I was looking at one days sking. I haven't seen skis since about 1994. I took a drive up to the carpark at CG and it brought back a few memories from school so thought I'd give it a go this season. I happened to be in a charity shop today and saw these, correct size for me and £5. So what's to lose.

But as people have said you'd have a better time on newer skis.
latest report
@Ram80, just interested, how old are you now? I'm 67 now and still really enjoy skiing.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

You clearly never skied in Scotland at the time such devices were common. Forward facing brakes had a disturbing habit of catching on heather roots mid turn causing an unintended dismount, violent and unexpected.

On reflection, I think they were after market devices fitted to bindings originally designed to only work with straps.
snow conditions
@DixieDean, Sorry, never saw your post.

I'm 44(going on 24), left school in 1994. It's a bit weird reading some of these posts as if the 90s were in the stone age. Also I don't remember skiing to be ridiculously difficult as if we were skiing on railway sleepers. I'll need to try the new skis first. I

I'm a lot more clued up now regarding the new style of skis. I've lived 45mins from Aviemore most of my life but kind of forgot about skiing and thought I'd give it another try.

Need to get some squat training in I think.
ski holidays
They are proper skis and bindings! Rossignol skis, long, straight and true! And look at those Look bindings, proper metal, built to last, not like the cheap plastic stuff now.

I think you’ve got a great deal! Maybe wrap a few yards of Duct tape round the boots and bindings for a bit if extra security and then let´em rip. And be sure to have a friend take a video so we can all vicariously enjoy your return to the slopes!
latest report
Ram80 wrote:

Need to get some squat training in I think.

IMHO lunges better than squats for skiing. Balance better than outright strength too.
snow report
Ram80 wrote:
... left school in 1994. It's a bit weird reading some of these posts as if the 90s were in the stone age. ..
I think you'll find that those bindings date to the late 1970s, not the early 1990s.
Medal outer casings were definitely late 1970s; by the 1980s bindings quickly moved forward. I'd not use any of them, but things advanced quickly after these were made.
Those weren't quite used with leather ski boots, but they are really from the dawn of time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.look-bindings.com/history
snow report
Yeah not sure that's 90s, these look newer and are listed as 1984 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rossignol-4S-Equipe-VAS-207-cm-silver-black-Skis-w-Marker-MRR-Bindings-Vintage/233805854309?hash=item366fea3665:g:ClIAAOSwMp9fx9zV
snow report
I'm going to show my age, my suspicion is that the skis are just about before about my 2nd secondary year which was 1978-79 and I was envious of my chum who raced and had mk2 Rossi STs, even more jealous when he reaplced them with mk3 STs and SMs. The skis above have similar graphics to the Mk1 ST (replaced, iirc, the ROC) which would place them around 1975. It does occur to me that the "Méribel" model marking may have been resort or, indeed shop, rental specific.

@SnoodlesMcFlude, 1984 feels a little early for, in fact almost defo as a chum in the British squad brought his new 3Ss and SMs to the uni races in ~1985. Reaching back, 4Ss were all over the place in 1988, but anyone with any discernment was on Völkl P9s. 4S replaced by the - outrageously lovely in all regards - 7S Kevlar for winter '90.

Bindings, feels about the same to me. I'd probably them as contemporaneous with e.g. Salomon 222s which again I was using around 1975. As @philwig, most definitely not anywhere near the '90s.

[/geek]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-12-20 15:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Ram80, please don't go and ski on them, we had more modern kit in the rental at the dry slope i worked at in 1985
ski holidays
Ram80 wrote:

Phew!
It's not unknown for someone to arrive at snowHeads, seeking the insight of the community but to have such strongly preconceived ideas that they get in a grump and flounceo off to do the exact opposite of what is advisable.

As you can see, the snowHeads just want everyone to ski more, ski better and ski safely.
It is such a relief that you're taking heed of the advice you asked for!

Skis really have changed enormously since those were made. In fact, so has skiing.
I expect you recall, such things required un-weighting, and pivoting to turn. Modern skis are shaped - as in their edges are curved - so can be turned just by leaning to one side. That in itself was transformative but further, modern approaches to composite materials allow better planning of how a ski bends under pressure (flex pattern). Hence, as you lean, the ski starts to flex (in a predictable way) giving the edge greater purchase and allowing you to 'carve' a turn of variable radius dependent upon the pressure you apply.
Most of us who learned on old SkOoL straight skis had a bit of a task to un-learn the old ways, which had become an enormous waste of energy on the new kit but it was soooo worth it.

The best thing you could do (IMHO) would be to hire some skis and get a couple of hours instruction, specifically focussing on adapting to the new ways... and do it before you 'find your ski-legs' as that will only re-establish old habits that you'll struggle harder to get rid of.
And finally, when you do plan to go up there, you might mention it here as you could well find other snowHeads up for a wee trip - they don't take much persuading snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy