Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Experienced large group from USA need advice for 1st week of Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads, this is my first post. I've read through several threads here, and am impressed with the discourse.

I am putting together a trip in early February for about 10 very experienced middle aged skiers from the Pacific NW region of the USA. I'm attending a tradeshow in Barcelona at the end of January and am going to tack on an extra week somewhere in the Alps afterward. A bunch of my friends found out and want to come along Smile.

Criteria:
- Likely snow coverage
- Large interconnected area with a variety of terrain
- Bucket list destination
- Variety of lodging rates
- Breathtaking Vistas

I'm open to booking refundable lodging in a couple of areas to ensure that we are able to have good conditions. We haven't booked any flights yet, but I want to get that out of the way soon. Austria appears to be the safest bet with regard to snow conditions, so I'm guessing that Munich would be our likely transit hub. I went to Chamonix a few years back via Geneva and that was a lovely experience, even the terrifying bit coming down with the guide from the Aiguille Du Midi. The rest of the group are Europe ski virgins.

Thank you for your click.

Easton
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt for vistas and variety and snow coverage and bucket list and multiple countries and areas.

St Anton (or other Alberg resort) for bucket list and terrain and other things.

Or 3 valleys.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@easton, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

@afterski has made some good suggestions. I'd echo his recommendation of including Zermatt in your list. It has a large ski area (including the ability to ski over the border into Cervinia in Italy) and of course the view of the Matterhorn from Zermatt is iconic, probably the most photogenic mountain in the world. If you do choose to spend the week in Zermatt then Zurich or Geneva may be better airport gateways for your friends. Both those airports have their own railway stations and you can travel from there on Swiss railways to Zermatt. Note that if you rent vehicles from the airport instead you can't actually drive all the way into Zermatt, you have to leave your vehicle in the large car park at the nearby village of Täsch and do the last bit of the journey on the train anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zermatt is on my radar, and that might be our western option. I spent a week in the Jungfrau region last June and am completely smitten with it as well. Early February appears to have decent snow conditions there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@easton, well I'm a regular visitor to the Jungfrau region myself, so can understand you being smitten. Very Happy

One other area that hasn't been mentioned so far is the Sella Ronda area of the Italian Dolomites. The scenery is stunning, and the pistes are immaculately maintained, the mountain restaurants have great food at very reasonable prices. However the off-piste is a bit limited. Also maybe not quite so convenient for getting to for your friends, the usual airports used are either Innsbruck in Austria (then travelling over the Brenner Pass into Italy), Verona or Venice (I guess Venice would have the most chance of direct transatlantic flights from USA).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt is also on Ikon pass which if you are American then you or your friends may already have.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just watch your dates, most of Europe has a school week holiday approx 10th February, you really want to be there and gone before the masses arrive
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Polish wife keeps bringing up the fact that her countrymen love the value of the Dolomites. Very Happy Logistics might be a headache though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@easton, "Austria appears to be the safest bet with regard to snow conditions" - is that really the case?

Anyway, if Chamonix isn't a candidate, I'd very much be thinking Verbier/4 Vallées. Easy train from Geneva, bit longer from Zurich. (There are US routes into Geneva and a few flights a day from Barcelona). Staying French, next up would be Val d'Isère/Tignes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
@easton, well I'm a regular visitor to the Jungfrau region myself, so can understand you being smitten. Very Happy

One other area that hasn't been mentioned so far is the Sella Ronda area of the Italian Dolomites. The scenery is stunning, and the pistes are immaculately maintained, the mountain restaurants have great food at very reasonable prices. However the off-piste is a bit limited. Also maybe not quite so convenient for getting to for your friends, the usual airports used are either Innsbruck in Austria (then travelling over the Brenner Pass into Italy), Verona or Venice (I guess Venice would have the most chance of direct transatlantic flights from USA).

The only reason I didn't suggest Grindelwald was ski area size to be honest. I think the Eiger can't be beaten on the views front.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 12-09-23 8:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@easton,
Espace Killy
3 Valleys
Paradiski
Zermatt
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
he's tagging the week on after the tradeshow so he will be flying from Barcelona and flights back to USA from skiing. Direct flights from Barcelona to Innsbruck or Salzburg are pretty non existant, so yes to Munich as a hub. Plenty of flights to Geneva

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 12-09-23 8:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
reiteration, French school holidays start 10 Feb with the Parisien group and you definitely want to avoid that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are fixed on Munich as your airport then either the Arlberg (I would suggest Lech though St Anton would work too and is easier from an access perspective) for the best ski terrain or the Süd Tirol / Dolomites for scenery and all round atmosphere. Casting your net wider, the Jungfrau area - spectacular scenery though not as much skiing as elsewhere (still pretty good though), Zermatt - the Matterhorn plus some very good skiing (better high season once the itineraries have opened), Verbier - high end resort with extensive high end skiing. In France maybe Chamonix (though you seem to have been) or Val d'Isere.

The debate about where the best snow will be is unresolvable. It's probably true that the eastern Alps have been better for the past couple of seasons however they have both been La Nina years this year will be a El Nino one which will mean different weather patterns. As ever past weather is little guide to future weather, plenty of past seasons where the western Alps have had the best of the snow. February should mean decent conditions everywhere along with high season crowds (the French resorts seem more affected by crowds and queues though most places will be at their busiest in February, Brit skiers seem more concerned about this than those from elsewhere)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Austrian and German school vacations start from 03. Februar.
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
@easton,
Espace Killy
3 Valleys
Paradiski
Zermatt

Should have added that they are all easily accessible from Geneva airport.
snow report
Milan to Zermatt is also a pretty similar distance by road transfer if that's something you might want to tick off? Get the Duomo in (the only thing worth seeing in Milan IMO. They rest is a dump)
snow conditions
Quote:
Criteria:
- Likely snow coverage
- Large interconnected area with a variety of terrain
- Bucket list destination
- Variety of lodging rates
- Breathtaking Vistas

By 1st week of February, most resorts should have decent snow coverage.

“Variety of terrain” can really only be attained by hiring a guide. I doubt your group will be doing more than a couple of days of that. So just about any destination should have some off piste terrain for that.

For any American skier who hasn’t skied Europe before, the vista of the Alps from any resort is breathtaking! I’ve been to a few (Dolomite, 3 valley, Jungfrau, St Moritz), I can’t say any one of them is more or less breathtaking than the rest.

What I’m saying is any of the well known destination will be bucket list worthy and fit all of the above criteria.

That said, each destination has unique character that maybe more unique to the eyes of American skiers. My personal bias is the Dolomite! In comparison, 3V is more like a larger version of Whistler, whilst there’s nothing in North America resembling the Dolomite region. There’s a lot more to skiing the Alps than just the skiing! Toofy Grin

So, toss a coin. Look at flight logistics. Compare prices. Any of the above list will do very nicely.

(For the group, that is. The OP had skied in the Alps, and is the instigator of the trip. He should pick what HE personally prefer to go. And let the group follow Very Happy )

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 12-09-23 16:42; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Indeed, early February snow is not something you should worry about. It will be good everywhere in general, even in lower areas.

For the very best on all accounts, for all of your group:

Zermatt (CH)
Val d'Isère (F)
Lech (A)
Val Gardena/Alta Badia (I)
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
Indeed, early February snow is not something you should worry about. It will be good everywhere in general, even in lower areas.

For the very best on all accounts, for all of your group:

Zermatt (CH)
Val d'Isère (F)
Lech (A)
Val Gardena/Alta Badia (I)

+1
snow report
Hi

Best 2 places for me are Tignes/Val d'isere or Val Thorens both the largest ski areas in Europe and high altitude. Val Thorens is part of the 3 valleys where I go every year...over 600 kilometres of wide pisted runs with each valley different from each other. You can actually fit every ski resort in USA into 3 valleys....ski passes are about 400 dollars a week, slightly cheaper if you book in a group...You will definately be very happy if you go there...best place for me to stay is in Meribel, stunning tow, great restaurants and very french.
snow conditions
So much great feedback in such a short period of time! Thank you all so much.
snow conditions
Yes or Really depends on spending power , re snow first week in Feb won’t or shouldn’t be a problem . Barcelona to Geneva isn’t either .
Zermatt could be the one ££££
Val D’Isere £££
Dolomites yes also

BUT you say you are all very experienced middle age skiers with I suspect a decent budget .

Here’s an idea of a two fantastic lodges owned by a very respectable up market global American ski Travel Company of the highest standard in the middle of the Tarentaise in a small village very close to Sainte Foy Tarentaise , the options from here are vast including Val D’Isere , Les Arcs , Sainte Foy , La Rosiere , Heliskiing in Italy dinner in mountain huts etc Guides the lot , might be too pricy but here is a link .
Two chalets of max comfort .

https://elevenexperience.com/chalet-pelerin-france-winter

https://elevenexperience.com/chalet-hibou-france-winter
ski holidays
@Biggazza1,
Quote:

both the largest ski areas in Europe

They can't both be Twisted Evil Razz
ski holidays
Biggazza1 wrote:
Hi

You can actually fit every ski resort in USA into 3 valleys....

Whatever you’re on, I’d like some.
snow report
St Anton. Easy international flights to ZRH or possibly INN for a hop from Barcelona.

Iconic apres. More drunk cloggies than you'll ever want to see again in your life. Great skiing round a huge area. Bring your avi kit and hire a guide.
latest report
As mentioned, this year on the 10th of February the Paris area of France start their holidays. For me, that's enough to stay away from France. 3 valleys or Val Disere are fantastic, but how patient are you with lift lines (I have very little)
Zermatt is unique with great views, but is expensive and is really limited for going off-piste without a guide - in Europe ungroomed means off piste like back country in US.
Sella Ronda in the Dolomites has really stunning views too, great food, great value for money, but the snow cover might be thin even in February and the piste skiing while extensive not very challenging.
Verbier and St Anton might be the best for going a bit off piste. I'd hire a guide for a day or 2 but you can find stuff that's relatively safe and obvious.
Also, Swiss and Austrian areas can be more easily accessed by train (although a large group can probably get a good deal booking a private transfer)
So really depends on your preferences
snow report
We are looking at Feb 3 - Feb 10
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@easton, date-wise that’ll be fine.
ski holidays
@easton, just to be sure: Lech is the more elegant version of St.Anton (sharing the same skipass, with Lech having the edge for snow, access and central position, and restaurants... Lech does not have the party-après of St.Anton though)
snow report
Quote:
Lech does not have the party-après of St.Anton though)

For the group of middle aged skier the OP is herding, that would be a plus rather than a minus.
snow report
abc wrote:
Quote:
Lech does not have the party-après of St.Anton though)

For the group of middle aged skier the OP is herding, that would be a plus rather than a minus.

Normally, this would be the case, but these are seasoned professionals we are talking about. Many of us are bell-to-bell skiers who also hit the apres pretty hard. I am very aware of the differences in mindset between North American and European skiers with regard to on mountain pacing, breaks etc. I'm flying over coach class, returning business class to accommodate the used up wreck that my body will be. Razz
ski holidays
Verbier.
snow conditions
@easton, Do you have either Icon or Epic season passes? If so it might be worth checking which euro resorts are included on them.
ski holidays
Given the profile, another vote for Verbier.
snow conditions
You guys are incredible, quality feedback!
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:

Can you expound on this a bit?
ski holidays
easton wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Can you expound on this a bit?
A substantial ski area, with legendary off-piste, and lots of (mostly sophisticated and expensive, but still...) après. It's scenic - though not in the same league as the Jungfrau region or the Dolomites, in my opinion - and the village itself is not unattractive.
ski holidays
Verbier also on full Epic if you book lodging through official channel, though if you are in Oregon maybe Epic pass not that useful to you.
snow report
Imo, Verbier only if all of your group wants to go off-piste everyday. And it's less scenic & atmospheric. And it does not have 400 km pistes (Quatres Vallees is a notorious piste-kilometer cheater)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy