Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland for domestic tourism only?

Poster: A snowHead
Re importing food to Switzerland for self-catering: Reading the information, it's not clear that the restrictions on food imports will be any different to now, when entering from France. Which is what most self-drive, self-catering types will be doing. i.e.

'Entry from the EU, Norway and Iceland: Foods of animal origin may be imported for personal use, as is the case for all foods. Customs regulations apply.'

Most self-caterers will be driving down via France, so they'll be entering Switzerland from the EU. And can carry what they can carry now. Even if the intention is that you can't bring stuff from the UK, that's not going to be a big deal and will just mean you have to do your shop in France. Which many people do anyway. And if you're flying to a self-catering accommodation, then there's a practical limit on what you can carry with you anyway.

As for pets, yes, I can see that having spent decades getting an international pet passport system running smoothly, it must be annoying that there are now barriers to pets travelling with them.

However I personally don't expect much sympathy from vigorous proponents of Brexit. The promised benefits of leaving are supposed to greatly outweigh the inconvenience for a minority of privileged skiers, overseas property owners and international holidaymakers with pets. A Price Worth Paying will be the response, and No One Can Predict the Future still has some way to run before The Future arrives and then you will have to Deal With It, It's Done.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-12-20 20:32; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LaForet, Thanks for clarifying that point. snowHead It just means I suppose that rather than British bacon and cheddar anyone driving to Switzerland for a self catering stay will be stocking up on say French Pâté and camembert instead. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It does read that I can happily bring along Caviar. So along with a bottle of Rosé de Riceys Champagne bought en route, that'll be me sorted.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LaForet, Good thinking! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LaForet, Did I miss something? The french/swiss border is closed? Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, said: so if my interpretation is correct you won't be able to drive into Switzerland in your car with your pet dog or cat

This is not applicable to "pets".

https://www.blv.admin.ch/blv/en/home/tiere/reisen-mit-heimtieren.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shep wrote:
@LaForet, Did I miss something? The french/swiss border is closed? Shocked

Shorley shome mishtake?? Currently pricing driving for Christmas en Suisse and a closed border will/would be just about the crowning turd - think Falling Down meets Terminator crossed with someone really quite cross (but happily for humanity with no access to weapons wink ).

Also, is it possible to delete a topic you have started as can't see an option to?

Also, also is it possible that those who voted for Brexit enjoy the freedoms accorded and those that didn't carry on as if we were still in the EU? Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@shep,
Quote:

The french/swiss border is closed?

Fake news! Border open as normal.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BoardieK, Thanks for clarifying that there are separate rules for pets. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Following on from my post the other day I have now had a call back from the lady I spoke to at the Swiss Embassy. She said that although it has not yet been formally announced, her information is that unfortunately it is virtually certain non-essential travel to Switzerland will not be possible for UK passport holders as from 1 January until the current covid restrictions are lifted.

She said - perhaps a bit tongue in cheek - that the only way of avoiding this would be for the UK to do a deal with the EU which continued the principle of free movement. I think we can all be certain, whether any trade deal is done or not, it won't (sadly in my view) include the continuation of free movement. I then asked if there was any chance the UK would be added to the list of non-Schengen, non-Efta countries with low incidence of covid who are allowed into Switzerland and she said at present the UK was "nowhere near" having the low levels of infection which might allow it to be added to that list.

She did say that if you can get into Switzerland before 1 January you will not be required to leave after that date, at least until your 90 days limit is reached.

I should also say that I didn't ask about the position of UK passport holders who already live in the Schengen area or the position of EU passport holders who live in the UK. So the position could well be different for those people.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for update @whollymoley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
whollymoley wrote:
Following on from my post the other day I have now had a call back from the lady I spoke to at the Swiss Embassy. She said that although it has not yet been formally announced, her information is that unfortunately it is virtually certain non-essential travel to Switzerland will not be possible for UK passport holders as from 1 January until the current covid restrictions are lifted.

Good luck to my next door neighbour then. He and his buds left by car (via tier three bits of England) for Zermatt in the early hours! Can't wait to see what happens. He's a proper optimist, to be fair.

CG
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Langerzug wrote:
@BobinCH,
Our trip to Lech is planned for March, thank you

Good luck to you with waiting until 18 december until Swiss federal government deciding on skiresorts. (Just needing to wait until that late is a disgrace in itself, whether you’re pro or contra)
Good luck with the ‘Swiss liberal freak show’ (quote from a major Swiss newspaper)
Good luck with the ‘Swiss federal system cracking under the pandemic’ (quote from Swiss Federal Broadcast)
Good luck with 80% of Swiss intensive care occupied.
Good luck with Verbier being ‘surprised’ about the queues on there first day of opening.

Just for you, miserable git Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charliegolf - the restrictions don't apply until 1 January. So your next door neighbour will be fine unless he's a very slow driver!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@whollymoley, Yep! Laughing Laughing
latest report
Only the UK cops to avoid then. Then the French! Very Happy
snow report
Yes, he might have problems with the French police if he's planning to drive through France. As I understand it there are restrictions in travelling through France which are in place until 15 December.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
@BobinCH,
Our trip to Lech is planned for March, thank you

Good luck to you with waiting until 18 december until Swiss federal government deciding on skiresorts. (Just needing to wait until that late is a disgrace in itself, whether you’re pro or contra)
Good luck with the ‘Swiss liberal freak show’ (quote from a major Swiss newspaper)
Good luck with the ‘Swiss federal system cracking under the pandemic’ (quote from Swiss Federal Broadcast)
Good luck with 80% of Swiss intensive care occupied.
Good luck with Verbier being ‘surprised’ about the queues on there first day of opening.

Just for you, miserable git Very Happy

Good response BobinCH, I for one like all the positive news from any of the open ski areas. Keep them coming.

There's far too many pedantic pessimists on here otherwise, welcome to the optimistic.
snow report
An alternative view of the Swiss covid response....... Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/3SiygTGPc1s

Apologies if posted before.
ski holidays
Drove yesterday from U.K. to Switzerland. Quickest journey ever , zero French police en route, eurotunnel & borders no problem, quite a few British cars on the French roads.
ski holidays
Have a great trip!
snow conditions
gra wrote:
Drove yesterday from U.K. to Switzerland. Quickest journey ever , zero French police en route, eurotunnel & borders no problem, quite a few British cars on the French roads.

Well there's so many on here forwarding why everything shouldn't be happening, it's good to see someone getting on with it.

I sincerely hope you have a fantastic trip.
snow conditions
+1
snow conditions
Living the socially distanced dream Very Happy

Stay outdoors!

http://youtube.com/v/vBm7t-9pHLA
snow conditions
The socially distanced queues there at Medran look far more civilised than how it was pre Covid...
snow report
@ski3, thanks all! Snows really good for mid Dec, everything working fine on the mountain ⛷
ski holidays
Android2000 wrote:
The socially distanced queues there at Medran look far more civilised than how it was pre Covid...

So in Verbier are the mountain restaurants and town cafes still only doing takeaways? Or are they open fully now?
snow conditions
Got the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry today, No issues with customs, police etc and easily checked into hotel. Will cross into Switzerland on Tuesday but don't see there being any issues. Lots of French and English people around despite French Lockdown.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nick M, fully open until 2200 everyday with effect from tomorrow.
ski holidays
@max.makinson, why would there be any issue? We have no quarantine rules for the UK- come on in and enjoy the snow snowHead
ski holidays
Steve Sparks wrote:
@Nick M, fully open until 2200 everyday with effect from tomorrow.

Is that Valais or whole Switzerland?
ski holidays
Skiing in Switzerland on the verge of imminent Closure

Swiss Hospitals on the Brink of Collapse

Skiing must also be banned

In a letter to Federal Councillor Alain Berset this week.

Five university hospitals expressed their "great concern about the current situation".

Intensive care units beds are very scarce and the there are no more Nursing staff .

Since October, the university hospitals have postponed more than 4000 operations.

"Ethical questions will start," says Uwe E. Jocham, head of The Bern Hospital.

Hospital directors fear a third wave of coronas will occur after Christmas, with the number of cases rising sharply and a collapse of the hospital system.

In their letter to Alain Berset, they call for stricter intervention by the Federal Council.

Gregor Zünd calls for the closure of restaurants, shops, museums, cultural and sports facilities throughout Switzerland.

Skiing should also be banned.

https://www.20min.ch/story/uni-spital-zuerich-fordert-lockdown-942313350986

Covidiots

STAY AT HOME
ski holidays
@Dravot, That is VS, most of the German speaking cantons have agreed to shut at 1900.
snow report
Steve Sparks wrote:
@Dravot, That is VS, most of the German speaking cantons have agreed to shut at 1900.

Nice one thanks. Hopefully I’ll be able to get our for something to eat this week
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Skiing in Switzerland on the verge of imminent Closure

Swiss Hospitals on the Brink of Collapse

Skiing must also be banned

In a letter to Federal Councillor Alain Berset this week.

Five university hospitals expressed their "great concern about the current situation".

Intensive care units beds are very scarce and the there are no more Nursing staff .

Since October, the university hospitals have postponed more than 4000 operations.

"Ethical questions will start," says Uwe E. Jocham, head of The Bern Hospital.

Hospital directors fear a third wave of coronas will occur after Christmas, with the number of cases rising sharply and a collapse of the hospital system.

In their letter to Alain Berset, they call for stricter intervention by the Federal Council.

Gregor Zünd calls for the closure of restaurants, shops, museums, cultural and sports facilities throughout Switzerland.

Skiing should also be banned.

https://www.20min.ch/story/uni-spital-zuerich-fordert-lockdown-942313350986

Covidiots

STAY AT HOME

Yeah, but look at the pow snowHead
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@LaForet, Thanks for clarifying that point. snowHead It just means I suppose that rather than British bacon and cheddar anyone driving to Switzerland for a self catering stay will be stocking up on say French Pâté and camembert instead. Madeye-Smiley

Hmm...

I'm not sure I'd like to replace my bacon & mushroom sarnie (avec HP) with pâté et champignons Shocked
snow report
Not sure how banning skiing will cut infection rate when trains buses everyday are busy all over Switzerland
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Hmm...

I'm not sure I'd like to replace my bacon & mushroom sarnie (avec HP) with pâté et champignons Shocked

Embrace the difference and go continental! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I don't think this is really an 'EU issue', it's the mountain interests of each country pressurising other states' mountain areas. Ultimately, it is largely done to the economic self-interest of small areas who rely heavily on the winter season to exists (without their central governments funding). Nowt to do with the EU.
snow conditions
Alain Burset press conference today at 12.30pm local time after he has talked to canton health chiefs. Wonder what he will say...

Swiss press over the weekend seem to suggest the Federal Government will announce a traffic light system for cantons so they can rapidly react to increasing case numbers. Suggesting that they want to target the cantons with highest virus rates. They also suggested that any measures would affect shops and restaurants, but not ski lifts (which are up to cantons and covered by the permit system)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy