Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Buying Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all! New forum member here and looking for advice on skis and I was hoping someone here would be able to help!

I just started looking for skis this year to buy. As I'm a 17 year old who's finally stopped growing, I can finally get skis and boots which I wont outgrow. I bought used boots from an old shop on sale, and was also was convinced to get a pair of skis there. I ended up with a pair of 174cm K2 amp rx skis in very good condition. Upon doing further research I found out these were considered beginner skis, which I was a bit dismayed by. My question was will these skis be ok for me? I've been skiing since I was 5 or 6 and ski on the east coast and often on blacks and double black, and I'd consider myself a solid intermediate skier.

It could be that it doesn't matter so much that I got a pair of softer beginner-intermediate, but it could also be I won't get better at skiing on them.

I have kept an eye out on craigslist for any used ski which pop up and did see some stiffer Atomic Nomad Blackeye TI Skis in great condition for $120, but they're 171 cm, which I'm worried is a bit too small for a 6'1" to 6'2" 180 lb 17 year old.

Anyway I hope I didn't overwhelm anyone with all that info and thanks in advance to whoever respond!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello and welcome to SHs snowHead

Far from too much info, no worries. The K2s do look a bit down the scale - on paper the Nomads are possibly a much better option. But I'd think 171 maybe a bit too short as well. Height far less important than weight.

If you live near a ski hill, ... round here (France) there are annual (well, normally) ski sales not just used but new as well. Often some fine bargains to be found.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome Smile

Reviews differ from site to site on the K2:

https://www.snow-online.com/ski/k2-a-m-p-rx-2012.htmlp - says

".. The ski is very smooth and forgiving. It's the perfect tool for intermediate skiers. The ski is available from 146 to 174cm. The skis handle like slalom race skis. Perfect edge hold and a small radius ranging from 0 m to 17 m make them the first choice for short turns..."

Other sites do say it is a "mellow intermediate ski"

Seeing as you already have the ski - stick with it and see how it goes. I would go for better boots first....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My first thought would take you in a different direction....IMV. Whatever money you can gather together, should be put to properly fitted boots. Second hand boots are unlikely to be a great fit - and decent boots are more important to get right initially.

I agree that the Nomads look a better option.

As for length - If they are for All Mountain use, I think you should be looking at around 180 (Intermediate of average aggression)

If for Piste only - Around 175
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you guys for the responses!

From your responses, I think I'll keep them for the season, see how they are, and if I feel next season I need to upgrade, I'll do that.

Boot wise I think I'm ok. I tried on several boots there, and ended up with some Head Edge+ 9s which felt really snug, and my toe just slightly touched the front. I only get to ski a few times a year so I didn't want to sink so much money into it, and am happy with the $100 I paid for my boots. If I ever am able to ski more, I'll certainly look into getting fitted boots.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@cheeseybread, I've had the Blackeye Ti in a 167 length since 2011, and they've served me well. They're heavy, stiff, comfortable with speed and with being driven hard in the turn, but for my weight of 205 lbs and height of 5'6" they're maybe a little short to provide the float they should in deeper snow so I still do a passable impersonation of a submarine at periscope depth despite their "all mountain" credentials and 88mm waist. For your size I'd say that the 171 are still too short for you, and you'll maybe need to work hard to bend them. One of my buddies has similar stats to you and he has the 176 model of the same skis and loves them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheeseybread wrote:

Boot wise I think I'm ok. I tried on several boots there, and ended up with some Head Edge+ 9s which felt really snug, and my toe just slightly touched the front. I only get to ski a few times a year so I didn't want to sink so much money into it, and am happy with the $100 I paid for my boots. If I ever am able to ski more, I'll certainly look into getting fitted boots.

Then I would consider getting a moulded footbed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks, I would submit that “east coast” skis are not generally selected for their “float”
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, yes, and neither are all-mountain skis the most obvious choice for skiing sheet ice in rain. But on the day or two per year when it's not like that... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy