Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone please let me know what insurance Is needed of going to Switzerland on December ?

Poster: A snowHead
Just want to have everything sorted .

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, if you're skiing make sure you also say "Oui" when asked at the Caisse "Assurances?" i.e do you want piste insurance?, which will cover on-piste attendance and helicopter evacuation to hospital. Think £100/minute for the helicopter. Even if your policy covers this, the CHF 5/day means you don't have to pay then reclaim, so a huge payout and reclaim element is removed.

As for the rest, use the 'Search' to find the insurance threads on here for member feedback on what specific policies cover re Covid. Be particularly careful about the fine print as some are effectively excluding all cover if you go while Mr. Raab continues to blacklist Switzerland. Not just the Covid bit but the whole policy. If you're over 60 you may have problems at the moment in finding any policy that covers you for travel, well, pretty much anywhere.

A good starting-point is to talk to your current travel insurance company. And whatever you do, make sure you have documentary support for anything they tell you on the 'phone.

The EHIC should cover you into 2021 if you're in Switzerland before 1.1.21, but you need to check this for yourself with the insurer, as it's critical to obviating cost in a worst-case scenario. Consider what will happen if you need to remain in CH after the end of the holiday: you'll almost certainly need someone from the UK to come over and be with you. You'll also need accommodation and subsistence for you both. Generally, better policies will also have a repatriation element, where they will pay for a medical flight back for you and your carer, and while this is expensive, it may still be cheaper than months recuperating abroad. Basically, they're incentivised to bring you home, which is what you want.

I think a lot of people focus on the cancellation costs, but these are eclipsed by the costs having a serious accident and subsequent surgery and recuperation, or just being hit at the wrong time with a serious illness. And beware the 'covid wash' - a lot of policies are giving a nod in the direction of covid but you then find that fine print excludes exactly those situations where you'll need cover.

And my conclusion after my wife broke her arm in March in Switzerland was that you get what you pay for with travel insurance. Our insurer's helpline was exactly that - the rep gave some really useful advice before she was discharged at the hospital (about being sure to get an official 'Fitness to Travel' statement for the flight home); got a copy of the Discharge Report and translated it and had their doctor review it (to be sure the hospital wasn't just throwing her on the pavement); organised me to fly over and the hired a car to pick her up; got and paid for empty seats each side of her on the flight home; and generally really useful help throughout the whole process. There were three casualties on that flight - one guy had already had surgery for a bad leg fracture, while the other with a broken collar-bone had been kicked out of his French A+E with no certificate and wasn't covered to have anyone fly over to help him. That was when I realised what the extra £125 we paid bought us compared to his policy.

And always declare pre-existing conditions. What I found was that 'routine' ones (like the typical over-50s High Blood Pressure) didn't make much difference to the policy premium. I assume because they're amenable to medication. Obviously, if you've got or are recovering from something much more serious, then the premium will be higher, or you'll just be refused cover.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 2-12-20 11:58; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doesn’t EHIC card cover medical costs should you be hospitalized in CH?
https://www.kvg.org/en/domicile-in-eu-efta-_content---1--1078.html

Not sure it covers repatriation or costs incurred if you ended up quarantined in CH though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
https://www.kvg.org/en/domicile-in-eu-efta-_content---1--1078.html

Not sure it covers repatriation or costs incurred if you ended up quarantined in CH though.

I though EHIC puts you on the same basis as a resident, so if a resident has to pay, as they do in some countries and for some treatments, then you pay but the same. If its all free for residents then its free for you. So depends into which camp Swiss healthcare is provided to its residents falls. Anyone know?

But wouldn’t cover repatriation I think. They sort you out and put you out on the hospital pavement.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EHIC will cover all medical costs except for the first 92chf.
So if you have a sore throat...92chf
If you have a heart transplant...92chf

Repatriation is not covered.

We have gone skiing in Switzerland many, many times and just had the lift pass assurance that Laforet mentions and an EHIC.

I was helicoptered to hospital...just showed my lift pass, and had my broken leg fixed...92chf.

I really, REALLY, hope that the UK can get back into EHIC.
I cannot see a reason not to, it is a treaty of its own, not an EU thing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

It depends if we're talking COVID or not. If you're not hospitalized for COVID - then likely EHIC is all you need, for COVID, for Europeans it piggies back on your original insurance. So if your original insurance says you don't get reimbursed for going into a COVID zone, ... well, then neither with EHIC help you (since your local funds would have to pay for it). But they will still pay for the helicopter/broken foot/etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LaForet wrote:
Well, if you're skiing make sure you also say "Oui" ** when asked at the Caisse "Assurances?" i.e do you want piste insurance?, which will cover on-piste attendance and helicopter evacuation to hospital. Think £100/minute for the helicopter. Even if your policy covers this, the CHF 5/day means you don't have to pay then reclaim, so a huge payout and reclaim element is removed.

**Or "Ja" is you're on the German speaking side.

lets face it its Switzerland, they will take one sniff of you and speak to you in English.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the original question came from someone in the UK then the EHIC will pay for everything and anything Covid, except for that 92 CHF.
The NHS covers Covid...therefore a UK person with valid EHIC is covered.

Swiss hospitals are very efficient, and that goes for their administration too...show your EHIC and that is all you need to do.
No insurance phone calls, no pay and reclaim. No being held hostage like in France until the bill is payed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rungsp, as long as it is a state hospital not a private one, but I can’t see how you’d end up in a Klinik without realizing.

My mum (UK) had a stroke in CH over the summer and the EHIC covered hospital, a month in rehab and intensive physio and occ therapy for a month. You pay 15chf per day for inpatient and 92chf per ‘bill’ like a prescription when you’re not in hospital. The bill went to the NHS and they send you receipts in the post. You can claim all of those contributions from your private travel insurance.

The Swiss efficiency is not a trope, it’s pure brilliance
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone know an insurance company that would give cover for skiing in Switzerland during this period?
Any I talk to say the won’t cover if the foreign office recommend only essential travel?
Any help appreciated thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Worth trying battleface - they have always covered for non FCO travel but understand they recently added winter sports coverage.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.itij.com/latest/news/battleface-adds-winter-sports-cover-travel-policies
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No personal experience mind, just been doing the research in case...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Battleface doesn't cover us over-60s.

Pays to read the fine print. Looked at the Eurotunnel (Allianz) COVID insurance today. Two pages of encouraging covid-this and covid-that then bang - all cover is excluded for any country on the FO exclusion list. So, pretty useless.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rom77, are you coming from the UK, or another EHIC country?
If the answer is Yes, then as has been explained at length, all your medical consequences (including Covid) are covered.
If you pay for the Lift Pass Insurance then all your skiing accident issues are covered.

Your two biggest risks are covered.

In reality what other cover do you need?
Cancellation
Lost luggage
Repatriation in case of injury.

We have skied countless times in Switzerland with just EHIC and Pass insurance....I really don't think the others are worthy of insurance (i.e. we self insure by virtue of taking the risk), but of course you may think they are must-have.

The only insurance company I am aware of that works is Snowcard...but obviously do your own careful research and come to your own conclusion.
ski holidays
I bought a policy from https://www.skicover.com/

Unless I've missed anything, it covers everything from CV19 to being airlifted off a mountain.

Allows travel against FCDO advice

Cancellation cover if you test positive for CV19 before travel.

Not expensive either!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy