Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost of driving to the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mind you, petrol's gone sky high again in the last couple of weeks anyway, I've noticed. I hope there's every chance of it coming down again by the summer
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks for that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Drove to Val Thorens on the 21st April and here is what I found.

Diesel on autoroute was always close to 1.20 Euro per litre. Off autoroute I found 1.09 the cheapest.
The tolls were 55 euro each way.

I also found that I used more diesel than normal due to the extra weight and roof racked skis and also the fact that the roads are so great to drive on ( at night I did majority of my driving ) that I was always around the 90mph mark. Passat Tdi I usally get closer to 55 mpg on motorways but I got 45mpg on the trip if that gives you any indication.

Another good tip is get on the michelin france site and print off your route map, they also give you the locations of any static speed cameras and pretty exact toll prices for your journey ( mine were spot on ).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 4-05-06 7:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the_fatadder,

Quote:

(less if we take gerry cans from the farm with us),

In case this was not a joke.

FYI.

It is illegal to carry Full Benzine/Gas cans in vehicles on the Public highways in Europe (inc the UK)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never been stopped for speeding on the french motorways. I usually drive about 130kph, but do, on occasions do about 160 (on the way to Val T)... I've never even seen a policeman looking vaguely interested. Petrol has gone up since the prices posted on 21st April. I've seen it as high as 1.39 per litre in some small service stations. Leclerc yesterday was 1.27 for 95 unleaded. Of course I don't travel during the high tourist season weeks, so perhaps it's different then, but then neither is the fatadder proposing to do so.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, how much is gearbox oil? snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you get a route from the via michelin website, it marks the positions of the speed cameras. Also, they have signs just before the cameras. & unlike over here, the camera is always about 1km from the sign!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, is that correct?

We have allways kept a can of diesel in the back of the landrover and never had any issues. what about driving with a can back from the petrol station to home (petrol for the lawnmower etc)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the_fatadder, from what I've read, it's only illegal in Greece, but it is not advisable to carry petrol in a can in a car. Diesel shoould be ok.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BUMP

Up date on French Diesel and petrol prices. August 5th on the Motorway coming home Petrol (95) around €1.40 and Diesel €1.20 per litre. At Ashford Channel Tunnel exit Petrol AND diesel 99.99p per litre!!

(and yes the speed trap was at 38.6 before Calais toll booths as usual. We saw two speed traps and both cars had a blue light on don't know why maybe they have a new ruling that says they must be visible)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Telepeage box has arrived, very efficient service (only sent off for it on Tuesday) and with my password for the motorway operators website which means you can print off your journey times and kilometres travelled etc Toofy Grin

Should you want to wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy