Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self drive/self catering newbies: advice wanted

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be driving down next year though in a hire car, as it was that or 2 cars, one with no second driver. Anyone know how far south you need to be before the hypermarkets start stocking snow chains?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
About 20KM after you need them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WindOfChange, Apart from the one you just passed on the dual carriageway, obvs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey, we'll have a couple of small children with us so we can just check the nearest hypermarket to each of the no doubt many toilet stops Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting point for those of us who drive down.
We bought a new (to us) car last week & I’m transferring the private plates but as the regulations change with effect 21st September to a Union Jack flag with initials U.K. I thought I’d just get new ones made up.
Turns out the suppliers are not ready for this change & it’s proving difficult to find the new style plates that are required for driving on French roads
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonny996, can you not get unflagged plates and use a UK magnetic sticker?

I didn't know that GB stickers are changing to UK stickers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have seen UK stickers that go over the end bit of a numberplate to cover up the EU flag and GB letters.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So far I have only seen information about the change in letters on this forum, it can hardly be said to have been widely publicised. Given that there will surely be a transition before the new letters are essential.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
The law change is a somewhat subtle one.

"Until now, it was only obligatory to use snow chains on roads in France marked with a road sign and only when they were covered with snow."

Now it be obligatory to have snow tyres OR snow chains on specific routes in prefects of departments that are considered to be “mountain departments”

In essence as I understand it previously the gendarmes would set up a check point on certain roads and turn you back if you didn't have chains. Now they can check and fine you anytime on certain roads in mountain areas if you have neither winters or chains.

https://trans.info/en/france-make-changes-to-winter-tyre-regulations-207242
https://www.connexionfrance.com/Practical/Everyday-Life/Winter-tyres-to-be-obligatory-in-France

Thanks for the update on this. Says the law applies up to 31 Mar so late season skiing is is unaffected. That said, I still plan to get socks and chains at a minimum. Winter tyres will be done on the next tyre change whcih is probably in 6 to 9 months time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
After 28.9.2021, you have three options

1. Get a (UK) sticker in addition to your existing number plate or
2. Get a new |UK| number plate or
3. Get a new |UK| covering sticker:

1) Whatever format of number plate you already have, if you get a separate (UK) sticker for the back you are covered everywhere:

I got mine online for about £3 including postage. As long as this is on the car, then you're good to drive anywhere in Europe on a DVLA-valid UK number plate. The format for a sticker is internationally agreed (The Vienna Convention 1968 Annex #64) and the only valid one is the large 215x175mm oval black-roman-capitals-on-white background:

So no dinky small-white-on-blue types etc. As long as the car has the standard DVLA approved plates, you can have all the familiar variations - a plain plate with just the reg. no.; the old GB+EU stars; the unofficial CYM and dragon; etc. - provided you have a white-on-black oval (UK) sticker attached as well.

2) Alternatively, you can replace the number plate with a new one which has the stripe carrying the 'UK' rubric:

With the graphic (e.g. a union jack) being optional. Note that for Spain and Switzerland you still need a separate [UK] sticker.

3) Or you can get stick-on replacements that go over the previous stripe and has 'UK' and the union jack.

For more details see the thread on The New Post-Brexit Number Plate Format.

I switched back to my plain (i.e. no stripe and no country code on the left side) number plates the car originally came with and have just attached the standard GB (soon to be [UK]) magnetic sticker on the back for our current trip.

[The examples are downloaded from the Plates for Cars online plate designer, which lets you play around with all the different combinations that are available. There are loads of other online suppliers.]

And just let's be clear on who is responsible for this - Grant Schapps. He is the Minister who has asked the UN to change the country designation code from GB to UK. Apparently as his part in responding to Northern Ireland's concerns over the various recent post-Brexit issues around the NI Agreement and the consequences of agreeing to a border in the Irish Sea. The Minister is keeping a low profile over this completely unnecessary, unwelcome and bizarre initiative. The best he's managed is to get the Tory Tabloids all frumious over what they characterise as a vindictive EU reprisal to subvert the Great in Great Britain. Even 'though it's actually a UN arrangement. Initiated by a Tory Minister. It is quite disturbing to think that a Minister genuinely believes that a significant answer to the the complexities of the NI Agreement under new border arrangements arising from EU withdrawal lies in something as simple as a change to number plate formats.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 30-08-21 8:09; edited 24 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just bought stickers from Amazon, £1.75 for UK & Union Flag on blue background to cover up the GB & stars.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Since I’m getting new plates made up due to screw holes I might as well get them correct. Stickers would drive my car OCD off the edge
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonny996, lol...I said that to my husband!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Decided at the last minute that we should have a sticker, so popped into a car spares place in Camberwell near to where we were visiting our son.

Clearly the guy hadn’t sold any for a while and he didn’t know the price. Eventually he (I think) made up an extortionate price, which I paid.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, having read this thread I realise that not only was I ripped off, but also that I’ve bought an old ‘GB’ sticker. And it’s stuck!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@LaForet, what happens if I do nothing?
latest report
I didnt put anything on my Swiss car to come into the UK. It wouldnt even occur to me to look into it. You guys are all in the detail.
snow report
Layne wrote:
@LaForet, what happens if I do nothing?

I would speculate - nothing. But, it will give an official an excuse to detain/fine you if they are in a bolshie mood. Personally, however unlikely the probability, for the sake of a £3 magnetic sticker, I'll go with the sticker. It's much the same principle as the Crit'Air sticker, or the Green Card, or the IDP, or the DVLA ICMV for Lichtenstein - all things that I'm unlikely to actually need, but if an official justifiably demanded their production (e.g. I have to re-route home from CH via Lichtenstein for some reason), then it'd be too late at that point to procure one. So given that the cost of procuring them is trivial, it seems worthwhile to get them in advance.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 28-08-21 22:32; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@LaForet, I haven't purchased a Crit'Air sticker.

I am half being devils advocate here, half middle-age rebel, half you and your fckn Brexit*. I've read that lorry drivers had their cheese and ham sandwich confiscated and it really winds me up.

Anyway....
ski holidays
Stuff visible from outside - Crit’air, number plate stickers - that cost next to nothing, might as well have them to avoid @LaForet’s bolshie policier.

Stuff not visible - contents of our cool box, ham, cheese, frozen lamb rack etc. Just came through the tunnel unchecked. If challenged it would be “Oh, I didn’t realise”.

It is, however, a complete pain in the ‘arris.
latest report
Someone nicked my GB magnetic thingy last year, believe it or not. There is no way it would fall off - it takes quite an effort to take it off. Will buy the UK one then, good job I checked this thread before ordering a wrong one.

As far as essential things for self drive/self catering go - someone already mentioned a 4 gang extension lead to avoid multiple adaptors. I also recommend a multiple USB port travel charger, because 4 sockets is never enough to charge all phones, iPads, kindles and other stuff.

Another thing I always take is a drier with hooks - it goes on the towel rack and makes a lot more space for socks, gloves, thermals, etc. Here is one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CKZGK86?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
The update no one is demanding is here.

Looks like we are back on and have done our planning and totally changed what we were planning too. As was pointed out earlier in the thread we are on holiday and its not an endurance test to get to the resort. With that in mind we have booked the Friday off and are catching a lunchtime time Eurotunnel and then staying in Dijon and easy drive to Valmeinier on Saturday. May even take the scenic route (is there one?). On the way back staying in Reims on the Saturday night and hope to take a tour of a champagne house (any recommendations?). Didn't realise how well priced accommodation in France. We are looking at a great 3 bed apartment in Reims for only £79. Oh and friends are no longer learning on Gloucester but of to Tamworth snow done (again any useful info welcome)

I've got a new question now regarding snow socks. Are these adequate and legal? I've got a Bluemotion VW Passat estate so pretty sure either snow socks or chains will fit and according to Halfords they are now legal in French ski resorts. Seem an easier option for me and that makes me happy but also a bit nervous.
And after reading the latest on this thread UK sticker ordered.

Cheers
ski holidays
Poshprop wrote:
I've got a new question now regarding snow socks. Are these adequate and legal? I've got a Bluemotion VW Passat estate so pretty sure either snow socks or chains will fit and according to Halfords they are now legal in French ski resorts. Seem an easier option for me and that makes me happy but also a bit nervous.

They are legal. Whether they are adequate is a depends. They will get you out of a spot and do work but are less durable.
snow report
TBH I was surprised how many British cars were driving on the continent end of December with neither GB or a UK badge/sticker/number plate . Id say a majority had nothing. I`ve still only got my SCO flag on the number plate, so reason why I was looking out. (and I know it never technically was legal, but its been on there since new and I`ve done 20+ journeys back and forth in the meantime)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy