Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arriving in Geneva then onto France

Poster: A snowHead
All - any idea the situation if we are arriving by air into Geneva from the UK and immediately transiting to France? Is there a requirement to comply with Swiss COVID quarantine rules - I think the link below makes it clear the rules don't apply as we would be transiting out of Switzerland.....

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/20201948/index.html

Which then brings it onto France. Presumably its the rules as they apply to coming from the UK and not Switzerland? Which would then seem to just be the declaration that we don't' have any COVID symptoms??

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-UK-and-French-travel-and-quarantine-measures

Sure it'll all change by December but just trying to get my head around it.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes that’s right.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do have to ask, it says,

"Some transport operators ask travellers to fill out and carry with them a sworn statement certifying that they do not have any symptoms of a COVID-19 infection."

What definitive and C-19 specific symptoms would they be exactly?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were due to fly into Geneva and then go onto France, but when Switzerland introduced quarantine I was able to move my flights to Grenoble, might this be possible for you? It would mean one less set of rules you would have to worry about.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WishIWasFitter wrote:
We were due to fly into Geneva and then go onto France, but when Switzerland introduced quarantine I was able to move my flights to Grenoble, might this be possible for you? It would mean one less set of rules you would have to worry about.

You dont have to go into switzerland from Geneva airport ..there is a French exit
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DaveD, how do you get to the French exit if you land on the Swiss side? I thought you had to clear Swiss immigration.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That’s my recollection as well, @snowdave. Iirc, the deal was that Cointrin would operate a French domestic terminal for French domestic flights.

Landing internationally, you're landing in Switzerland.

I could, of course, be wrong wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You don’t have to quarantine in Switzerland if you are not staying but just transiting through. See
https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classified-compilation/20201948/index.html

Relevant bit:
Quote:
The following persons are exempted from the quarantine requirement under Article 2:
f. persons who enter Switzerland for the purpose of transiting the country and who intend and are able to travel on directly to another country;
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@riman8, yes I think your assumptions are correct.

My flights to Geneva for December got changed to the point that they are no longer viable so I requested a refund. Thinking of rebooking flights to Lyon instead though, for the reason mentioned above, only need to contend with one set of rules.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@riman8, as the current situation stands you are fine flying into CH and transiting into France. I have been travelling quite a bit for work the last few weeks to various European destinations, mostly via GVA (I live in France).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowdave wrote:
@DaveD, how do you get to the French exit if you land on the Swiss side? I thought you had to clear Swiss immigration.

There is a French exit in the airport ..I dont know about immigration but you can get out of the airport straight into France
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DaveD wrote:
snowdave wrote:

There is a French exit in the airport ..I dont know about immigration but you can get out of the airport straight into France

But to be clear - you don’t need to either quarantine or exit via the French side if you’re heading off to France.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If you come from the UK you have to go through Swiss immigration, generally a very slow process - it can take an hour. There may be some gates that allow direct entry to France form internal French flights, but I have never found them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:

If you come from the UK you have to go through Swiss immigration, generally a very slow process - it can take an hour. There may be some gates that allow direct entry to France form internal French flights, but I have never found them.

I have used the French side to pick up a friend from the airport and have been into the airport that way....if you read the link below it gives you chapter and verse the road entrance is before you go into Switzerland ..Cool

https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Acces-Transports/Plan-du-Terminal-1
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DaveD, The road entrance is not a problem. You can get to the French side eaily. If we have only carry on bags this is by far the best way to return. It is a bit of a maze from the car hire desks, but in essence there is a single security desk that never has a queue of any sort. It is less than 10 minutes from dropping off the hire car to being airside. There is no baggage drop for UK flights from the French side of the airport.

As @DaveD's, link says, the French side is largely for internal French flights, which of course includes Corsica now.
ski holidays
A few years back, Swiss immigration desks were just before baggage reclaim. At that point you could take a left turn and up the escalators to arrive in France and avoid Switzerland. But the desks were then moved to where they are now and you have to go through them if arriving from the UK.
latest report
There was no need to quarantine when transiting through CH in the spring lockdown and should be a non issue.
latest report
Thanks for all this guys - very useful and good news. What's the guidance if COVID-19 is caught whilst in France? 2 weeks self isolation? This may have been posted elsewhere. Anyone finding decent insurance cover for this eventuality which, if we had symptoms later during our stay, could enforce 2 extra weeks of accommodation, food and new flights. Presumably like everywhere the guidance is if you have symptoms, self-isolate a book a test. And presumably even if you catch it and self-isolate in France for 2 weeks, you have to quarantine for 2 weeks when you return to the UK (which seems madness) just 'cos "them's the rules". Again someone might be posting on this elsewhere....
ski holidays
@riman8, you say "we" - what if one of you catches it, and the other doesn't get it till a week later (as has just happened to a colleague)? Then you're in isolation for 3 weeks.

The rules are quite simple, which means there are edge cases where they seem inappropriate. However, I think the population in general (and some politicians in particular) have proven that anything other than a simple clear rule has too much latitude for flouting. For example, you get COVID, get a test which proves it, isolate for 2 weeks, come home and don't do quarantine. Late in your illness, you infected your partner, who is pre-symptomatic, comes back to the UK, and doesn't quarantine because they've done 2 weeks quarantine with you.

Whilst quarantine and similar regulations are in place, my personal view is that the only reliable way to travel is by personal vehicle, despite that fact that I've flown almost every trip for years. That way, if one of my family or I become symptomatic, we can still get home.
snow conditions
@riman8, the current available 'Against FCO advice' insurance exclude claims resulting from Covid and therefore you would therefore have to fund your own extended stay. You would indeed have to self isolate if France and return when you are feeing better after 14 days - on top of that isolate again here as expected. To me not madness as the rules cannot legislate for every scenario - you are after all travelling against government advice. I agree with @snowdave, that having your own car gives you the ability to get back quickly in the event of sudden border, resort and commercial travel closures.
ski holidays
riman8 wrote:
Thanks for all this guys - very useful and good news. What's the guidance if COVID-19 is caught whilst in France? 2 weeks self isolation?

Don’t get tested. Some young guys who weren’t that ill but got tested in Italy and got stuck in quarantine for a month.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
I do have to ask, it says,

"Some transport operators ask travellers to fill out and carry with them a sworn statement certifying that they do not have any symptoms of a COVID-19 infection."

What definitive and C-19 specific symptoms would they be exactly?

This is a hard one, since one of the symptoms being loss of taste - Whenever i get airline food, it tastes like sticking your tongue out of the window on the M5 ... so at customs: No i couldn’t taste the food on the plane Puzzled Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
In answer to the original question, there is a good blog post about exactly this a little bit further down on the Ben's Bus blog page https://www.bensbus.co.uk/category/blog/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy