Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving skis for intermediate-advanced skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, fellow snowheads!

I'm on the search for my new ski and would like to hear your thoughts. A little bit of info about me: I'm 6'1(185cm) and 165lbs(75kg), I ski solely groomers and I enjoy making carved turns the most. Since I'm relatively young, I've never had top of the line equipment - I started on a pair of Völkl RTM 73's, then a friend of mine gave me his pair of Fisher RX8's 175 from around 2010. I'm considering the Rossignol Hero Elite MT Ti and the Dynastar Speed Master SL. The lenghts that I think are appropriate are around 165-170. What are your thoughts and experiences with both skis? I should also mention that I ski in Bulgaria, where pistes get bumpy quite quickly, if that should be taken into account.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends on what sort of turns you want to make..... you can carve pretty much any ski but the radius will vary from ski to ski and also the narrower the width underfoot will allow a quicker change fo direction as the ski will be quicker onto the new edge.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ivchaka01, welcome to snowHead

I think it's reasonably difficult to find a bad ski these days, unless you're rooting around in the bottom of the barrel. The marketing puff suggests the Dynastars may be a bit more demanding but I suspect both would be good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i agree, i would say length and stiffness will be key but as you aren't particularly heavy that shouldnt be an issue i would say something like a 175 would be about right with something like a 17 m radius which is GS-ish ski..... and if you want to make tighter turns then something a bit shorter but not too short as you are quite tall
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m the same height and weight as you with a similar fondness for carving up the groomers. I bought some Head iSupershape Magnum’s (171cm) and love them. Very Happy

With a turn radius of 12m they can be twitchy but if you push them hard, they are guaranteed to put a smile on your face with a great kick out of the turn.

They are also slightly more forgiving than some of the out and out SL skis and not as tiring.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I visited the shop again and they have both skis in the 167-168 length. Do you think that's too short? Personally I feel it's okay because I want to get into making shorter turns. Also I started leaning towards the Rossis because the multiturn provides some versatility.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grachen, it's not actually a radius of your turn ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ivchaka01, I'd probs go up a size. If you can. 167 seems a little short.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think that you are better looking at a bit more length (and I never normally say that!). The longest Dynastars are 174, I think, and give a radius of 14M which is not unreasonable for a general piste ski. Plus, the Dynastars are a complete hoot!

I think that for piste work you should look for a sub 70mm waist and plenty of stability. There are going to be a lot of skis which are good in this category. I would be a good idea to try before you buy if possible. I suspect that the Rossi's would be a bit of a let down if you had a couple of days on a proper frontside ski.

I have the i.Speed Heads at 177cm. I am 188cm tall and 90kg and they work great on piste. I have have no problems in variable snow or in bumps. I have skied them quite a bit off-piste and they are ok but turn a bit fast, so not a strong point!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Klamm Franzer, are there many sub 70mm waist skis that are not a bit more race-y?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I think that you are better looking at a bit more length (and I never normally say that!). The longest Dynastars are 174, I think, and give a radius of 14M which is not unreasonable for a general piste ski. Plus, the Dynastars are a complete hoot!

I think that for piste work you should look for a sub 70mm waist and plenty of stability. There are going to be a lot of skis which are good in this category. I would be a good idea to try before you buy if possible. I suspect that the Rossi's would be a bit of a let down if you had a couple of days on a proper frontside ski.

I have the i.Speed Heads at 177cm. I am 188cm tall and 90kg and they work great on piste. I have have no problems in variable snow or in bumps. I have skied them quite a bit off-piste and they are ok but turn a bit fast, so not a strong point!

Thanks for the detailed reply. How exactly does a longer ski impact its performance. The reason I want to stay away from longer GS skis is that I don't want to be going at Mach 2 on groomers around other skiers and risking injuring myself and possible anyone else. I would much rather get the same dynamic feeling from making shorter and slower turns.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The longer ski will be a bit more stable and the radius will be greater. It Is down to personal preference but if you haven't been used to SL skis in the past, they can be tiring to use all day as they are good at what they do, ie. Short turns.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ivchaka01, It's worth having a look at the Hero Elite Plus Ti. They are slightly wider at 74mm which helps them deal with the afternoon chop the 167 has a turn radius of 13m.
I've found them extremely versatile, beautiful first thing in the morning on the hard pistes, cope well in the afternoon, the more you push them into the turn the more they give back but they are equally at home pootling around with my grandchildren.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went for the Supershape E-Magnum after looking at many of the options suggested here - hopefully, I get it soon enough and can provide you some more specific feedback about it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I tested several skis last season and opted for Atomic Redster GS at 176 and 18m turn radius (I’m 176 and 83kg). Awesome fun, super grippy, stable and surprisingly agile on shorter radius turns. They do require a bit of concentration, though... Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy