Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
Kevin Loughran wrote:
Thanks guys. Always seen CH and knew it was to do with Switzerland and did Google it but couldn't find anything regarding what the initials were. I guess we'll know nothing until closer to the time. Hopefully this lockdown works but seemingly getting worse before it gets better here in the UK.

Nowt to do with the discussion but in this house Swiss Francs are "Chuffs" - can't imagine we're the only ones.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scamper wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/austrians-and-swiss-go-off-piste-in-christmas-skiing-covid-row

Some interesting views/snapshot quotes in this

Oooh.. the 10th Jan.. love it when a new date gets thrown into the mix!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
red 27 wrote:
primoz wrote:
I saw that Very Happy Obviously stores, hotels and restaurants are cool, and chairlifts are the thing where all the bad stuff happens. rolling eyes

Restaurants are take away only...

Can't see many people paying to stand around in Val Thorens eating a kebab and looking up at the pylons...

You'd feel like a eunuch at an orgy

Pretty much what certain days of the last EOSB felt like - a eunuch at a very very windy orgy

Kebab/Burger after Bar XV, Val d' I - am I the only one?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scamper, no, no, no, "chiz"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saying the resorts can open but their major draw can't is really a cynical way of stopping paying them any further support.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
If we get the snow then I at least hope that they'll prepare XC pistes ?

That would seem very sensible, and is compliant with Castex's statement that the resorts can open but the lifts must close. Smile
Btw I don't think they are called X-C pistes are they, I thought they were called loipes? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, Just been chatting on the same lines with a mate. The only extra item we thought of was cardiac events on the way up.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also posted on another thread, quote from PDS Facebook page
Quote:
Following recent declarations from the French government, the Portes du Soleil cross-border ski area finds itself in an unprecedented situation:
In CH, the ski lifts will be open in December in the resorts of Morgins, Champéry, Val d'Illiez Les Crosets Champoussin and Torgon.
In FR, the ski lifts will remain closed.
Access to all stations will however be possible, shops will be open and restaurants will offer delicious take-away meals.
The Portes du Soleil resorts are therefore ready to welcome all mountain lovers! Our teams are commited so that you can practice outdoor activities in the best conditions.
So come and take a deep breath of fresh air in our wonderful mountains.
Thank you for your messages of encouragement in this difficult period, it's heartwarming! ❤️
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@fixx,
Quote:

and touring

no snow, no rando ... Sad

Ah yes, good point Sad To be honest, as much as I'd like to get out there asap, if skiing is limited (touring only, and limited options for that), and I also can't spend as much time with my friends as I'd like, I'd rather wait until later in Jan. It's not that much longer to wait (if things open then Shocked )

Weathercam wrote:
I only have to look at FaceBook and see people extolling the virtues of Rando and how that's going to be the thing to do, and a few of these are people who have only been out with me once or twice in nigh on perfect Spring snow conditions.

December, Jan is totally different as you know.

Plus some of those people won't have skied since March at the latest - I know I haven't. I'd prefer my first run to be something a bit nicer to get the legs back, and I've toured/skied
a little in some interesting conditions... Skullie
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

I am pessimistic...

I am in Cannes at the moment and seems to me (hope I'm wrong) that after what the president said everyone is a bit relaxed, the local parks and plazas were busy as usual today... I fear a scenario in which people will go a bit crazy for the december festivities and then inevitably cases will increase for January and guess what, no ski for January and February either...am I being to paranoid? ... I gotta say, given the fact that I spend first wave in London and this second one entirely in the south of france...I think people in France is less likely to care about social distancing measurements and the correct use of mask Confused

My point is: Mid january is still a win I think. And as some other people addressed snow is not even there. That sort of matters.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Austrian resorts will open as normal, their government and ski industry appear determined. Disregarding an attempt to pressure them to close, coming from winter sports industry competitors in the EU such as Italy.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/26/france-says-ski-resorts-can-open-without-lifts-austria-bucks/

Joining an equally determined Switzerland.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Charlieehr, I was in a residential area of London on Saturday, there was an open food market down a street, people were crowded all in between the stalls, very few masks, it's not just France everyone is fed up of this and trying to do normal things, but when the bars and restaurants and most shops closed people will crowd in the places still available to go. I do agree with your assessment though, that's why I've moved my flights to March in the hope that some snowboarding is possible then. It's a lottery right now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know where this “mid January” thing has come from? Castex’ announcement today didn’t mention any dates other than xmas and NY, Macron only said he couldn’t envisage opening over the holidays and Merkel wants agreement to close until “early January”. Yet I’ve seen 15th and 20th Jan confidently quoted by several people (not in the press) so I’m wondering if I’ve missed something?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, maybe it's just because 15th is exactly "mid" January, and 20th is the next starting day for a traditional skiing week (Sunday-Friday)?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy from embsay wrote:
Does anyone know where this “mid January” thing has come from?

Pres. Macron.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

Pres. Macron.

But it didn’t, did it (assuming you’re talking about his speech on Tuesday). He said:
"Une concertation a été engagée par le gouvernement avec les élus locaux et les professionnels mais il me semble toutefois impossible d'envisager une ouverture pour les fêtes", dit le président de la République, qui souhaite "préférable de privilégier une réouverture courant janvier dans de bonnes conditions" et une coordination européenne sur le sujet.

Then Castex confirmed lifts closed over xmas/new year but again no reference to dates beyond december. Or is there another speech somewhere?
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@andy from embsay, maybe it's just because 15th is exactly "mid" January, and 20th is the next starting day for a traditional skiing week (Sunday-Friday)?

But that’s my point: neither Macron nor Castex mentioned mid-January, or 15th January, or 20th January in relation to ski resorts. They said confinement will be relaxed on 15th December subject to numbers continuing to fall, and bars etc closed until at least 20 January. No date attached to lifts/resorts opening.
latest report
Ski resorts to be opened only for schools, clubs and season pass holders. This is the proposal of the mayors of Serre Chevalier. They wrote this Thursday to the Prime Minister "to suggest that Serre Chevalier could be at the heart of an experiment which would only allow clubs, schools and locals who bought their season pass before October 15 to have access to the ski area. ". The goal: to open part of the estate and therefore justify the hiring of seasonal workers because "to open on January 20 in a dry way, without having run our economic machine once is very risky

Not much help for tourists but works for me Very Happy
PS: Can't see it happening.............
latest report
@andy from embsay, I've seen January, early January, mid January, 15th January, 20th January so don't think it's unreasonable to title this thread as I did......?
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
No tourists will go rando.

Because it sucks.

You spend 2hrs plodding uphill in freezing cold, and 2mins sliding down on half-skis.

Touring is for ski nerds.

Maybe you haven't seen the latest ski touring tech?

http://youtube.com/v/cJWkM531Keg
snow report
polo wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Because it sucks.

You spend 2hrs plodding uphill in freezing cold, and 2mins sliding down on half-skis.

http://youtube.com/v/cJWkM531Keg

FANTASTIC Smile
ski holidays
in Germany they are talking about 10th Jan not 15th
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
@andy from embsay, I've seen January, early January, mid January, 15th January, 20th January so don't think it's unreasonable to title this thread as I did......?

To be honest, I guess no- one knows so no point changing it.

Personally I've only seen January/early January/10th January in any reports referring to ski resorts though.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
davidof wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

Pres. Macron.

But it didn’t, did it (assuming you’re talking about his speech on Tuesday). He said:
"Une concertation a été engagée par le gouvernement avec les élus locaux et les professionnels mais il me semble toutefois impossible d'envisager une ouverture pour les fêtes", dit le président de la République, qui souhaite "préférable de privilégier une réouverture courant janvier dans de bonnes conditions" et une coordination européenne sur le sujet.

Then Castex confirmed lifts closed over xmas/new year but again no reference to dates beyond december. Or is there another speech somewhere?

It was decided a week before Pres. Macron's last speech that they wouldn't open before the 15th Jan.
snow conditions
polo wrote:
Laughing That's done incredibly well
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Ski resorts to be opened only for schools, clubs and season pass holders. This is the proposal of the mayors of Serre Chevalier. They wrote this Thursday to the Prime Minister "to suggest that Serre Chevalier could be at the heart of an experiment which would only allow clubs, schools and locals who bought their season pass before October 15 to have access to the ski area. ".

Could this give a boost to membership of the SCGB? Toofy Grin "We're the Ski Club of Great Britain, so we obviously qualify as a club to ski in Serre Chevalier!" wink
latest report
@davidof, thanks - must’ve missed that announcement - odd that they said that it’s still under consideration! Did they think people would have forgotten that they’d already given a date?
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Because it sucks.

Welcome back! We missed you.

How were the 3 months in Troll rehab?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, Unsuccessful obviously.
snow report
davidof wrote:

It was decided a week before Pres. Macron's last speech that they wouldn't open before the 15th Jan.

I missed that too! ( I can't keep up!). Could you post the link?
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
davidof wrote:

I missed that too! ( I can't keep up!). Could you post the link?

It was leaked to the press following a meeting on the 15th November (I think) and talked about on the TV news. I couldn't find a link now but I mentioned it at the time in the French Lockdown thread. A lot gets leaked to judge public reaction and then either confirmed or changed later but obviously the mid January data has been in their minds for some time. I guess the 15th makes sense as it is Friday before the 16th so lets things start up just before the weekend.

I wouldn't get fixated on dates, it depends on the sanitary situation. If things improve a lot over the next 4 weeks the date may be the first weekend of January. If things are not good, say the third wave arrives in force, then things may not open this season.
latest report
The Austrians will be pressing for a much earlier open date than the 20th!
snow report
Just got an app notification that Verbier 4 Vallées have extended the area that's open to include Atellas » Ruinettes, as well as the existing Lac de Vaux.
ski holidays
Grandvalira in Andorra has postponed the opening of its resorts (was originally 4th December) - looking at the webcams, that's nothing to do with Covid and more lack of snow.
ski holidays
Giovanni Brasso , president of the company that manages the Vialattea ski area with its 400 km of pistes has told the Italian govt. that if they don't open for Christmas he's shuttering the resort for the whole season.
ski holidays
Quote:

Giovanni Brasso , president of the company that manages the Vialattea ski area with its 400 km of pistes has told the Italian govt. that if they don't open for Christmas he's shuttering the resort for the whole season

I was kind of afraid of directives making those statements :/ ....What would be the logic behind that though ? @davidof,
snow report
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/27/italian-ski-resort-anxiously-waits-for-covid-ban-decision-sestriere-eu-christmas-season
snow report
Charlieehr wrote:
Quote:

Giovanni Brasso , president of the company that manages the Vialattea ski area with its 400 km of pistes has told the Italian govt. that if they don't open for Christmas he's shuttering the resort for the whole season

I was kind of afraid of directives making those statements :/ ....What would be the logic behind that though ? @davidof,

Sounds like a trump-esque game of chicken, could backfire on him spectacularly!
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:

Sounds like a trump-esque game of chicken, could backfire on him spectacularly!

It does sound a bit Barnier-esque Happy

Fixed costs such as snowmaking are too high without Christmas revenues apparently. I can see other resorts with shakey finances maybe doing the same.

I can't read the Guardian link on the work VPN - it says it is a #fakenews site and is blocked. Happy
The BBC is ok though.
snow report
@davidof, You're not missing much... a few Sestriere restaurant owners having a moan.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy