Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
Heard a rumour that Swiss skiing may continue but only Swiss or local (within canton etc) - was a friend of a friend so would love to know if anyone in CH or well connected has heard the same?
Was in Graubünden over summer and people were predicting even then that winter may well be Swiss-only.
Can’t see our family going anyway with the threat of any of our kids having to self isolate (due to contact with a positive case in school) hanging over our season but am still interested.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:
Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Finally a benefit of brexit : as Scottish resorts shall remain open in January wink

All joking aside - skiing itself is not a problem with regards covid.
However travel clearly is.
Thousands of people travelling from all over europe to resort (then back home).

Except almost nobody can travel to the Scottish resorts Crying or Very sad Hopefully Fife will get back down to level 2 before the snow arrives.

As regards skiing the problem is all the enclosed lifts. Chairlifts and drags fine. Gondola's, cable cars etc. not remotely good, perfect for spreading the virus. Presumably this is why Nevis Range have decided to close. Cairngorm's enclosed white elephant being broken it doesn't count.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blind_raven wrote:
Can I make the remark that there might as well be a decision soon? All this back and forth is just creating a lot of uncertainty. Plenty of people still trying to book or wondering if they're gonna lose money on their original booking, and just in general giving hope where there either shouldn't be any, or should be clear how it works.

All of these resorts that put in the effort to test daily staff, to come up with the right solutions and now they have to suffer the uncertainty of a bunch of figure heads playing a game of "will they/won't they?"

Geez.

How do you “make a decision” when you don’t have the facts, or the data your decision base on are changing every few days?

Option 1, make a random decision and stick with it, even if new data shows it’s a bad decision

Option 2, Make a “best guess” decision and change it when new data indicates it needs changing.

Option 3, wait for a bit and then make a decision and hope it’s a good one so it won’t need to be changed too frequently.

Which option will you do if you need to make that decision?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see this thread has already degenerated, with people bewailing their terrible hardship of not being able to go skiing and asking unanswerable questions about resort X in mid March. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, it can’t be helped. There’s no new “update” yet. So it’ll either be filled with speculation, or drops off to the bottom due to no new post.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, as was mentioned earlier, it was enviably going to move to 'rumours, hopes and frustrations' but as long as it's still skiing related and doesn't descend into a big argument about covid stats and R numbers, then that's fine by me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skimum1 wrote:
Heard a rumour that Swiss skiing may continue but only Swiss or local (within canton etc) - was a friend of a friend so would love to know if anyone in CH or well connected has heard the same?
Was in Graubünden over summer and people were predicting even then that winter may well be Swiss-only.
Can’t see our family going anyway with the threat of any of our kids having to self isolate (due to contact with a positive case in school) hanging over our season but am still interested.

I've not heard anything like that, and hoteliers here are reporting decent levels of bookings for Christmas.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@telford_mike, thanks, good to know Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Made this point on another thread but I wonder if the SNP will show solidarity with the EU and close the Scottish resorts too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I see this thread has already degenerated, with people bewailing their terrible hardship of not being able to go skiing and asking unanswerable questions about resort X in mid March. Laughing

Asked for people's thoughts and opinions, obviously no one can predict what's going to happen, not 'bewailing' anything. If I can't go I can't go, but thanks for your useful input.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless Switzerland is persuaded to close also the situation in France will result in riots or worse.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just read in Slovenian news, that EU comission said that responsibility or authority to close or open ski places is on national governments. If I get this right, this means there's not gonna be EU wide ban on skiing, and each country can decide on their own. So I guess it's safe to say, Austria will be open, which means I just need to figure out if it's perfectly legal for me to cross the border and go skiing there, or do I need to get excuse that I go there for work (based on my profession, piece of cake to make up excuse to go skiing for work Very Happy)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kevin Loughran wrote:
pam w wrote:

Asked for people's thoughts and opinions, obviously no one can predict what's going to happen, not 'bewailing' anything. If I can't go I can't go, but thanks for your useful input.

As you're a new member, the proper way to "ask for people's thoughts and opinions" is to start a thread of your own. NOT trying to hijack another thread with your question about March in one that the title clearly suggest it's about January!

Quote:
but thanks for your useful input.

You've got two "input" telling you your questions are "unanswerable", AND in the wrong thread. You're showing a lot of appreciation for their trouble! rolling eyes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 26-11-20 14:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My question was, what peoples thoughts were on the reasoning behind the mid January reopening, and wether it was to facilitate for the reopening for the rest of the season or not as per the title thread.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kevin Loughran wrote:
My question was, what peoples thoughts were on the reasoning behind the mid January reopening, and wether it was to facilitate for the reopening for the rest of the season or not as per the title thread.

The simple answer is no-one knows - the resorts will definitely hope that opening later will increase the chances of staying open for the rest of the season. But it just needs cases to start to rise again, and a dreaded third wave - and they'll quickly shut everything down again.

And just my own bug-bear, I wish people would stop talking about 'mid-jan' (not your fault, it's in the thread title I know!!!)
ski holidays
@Kevin_Loughran CH is the country code for Switzerland (Confederatio Helvetica), like GB is for Great Britain. The thing about CH Is that they currently seem to be determined to stay open for the season, although rates are high in areas like the Valais (Verbier 4 Vallées, Crans-Montana, Nendaz etc.) at the moment. They also currently have no requirement for UK citizens entering the country to quarantine or isolate. Hence a lot of discussion about them possibly being the principal ALpine destination for Brits hoping to ski this winter. You can in fact go Weekend skiing as of now in Verbier, for example, but your constraint is (a) that you're not supposed to leave the UK (b) you may have trouble getting satisfactory travel insurance as CH is not on the Foreign Office approved list and (c) you'd have to quarantine for 14 days on your return. Additional to all this uncertainty, there's the added issue that we lose the EHIC cover with the EU and Reciprocal EHIC cover with Switzerland as of 1.1.21 as well. So there are a huge range of unknowns and the various threads just keep cycling 'round the same speculation.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-11-20 15:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Thanks guys. Always seen CH and knew it was to do with Switzerland and did Google it but couldn't find anything regarding what the initials were. I guess we'll know nothing until closer to the time. Hopefully this lockdown works but seemingly getting worse before it gets better here in the UK.
snow report
Castex announced today that resorts can open for Xmas, but the lifts are to remain closed.....
“Come to the resorts, enjoy the mountain air and spend time in the shops” he said Laughing
snow conditions
Kevin Loughran wrote:

don't worry we think you're fine asking the question and indeed for a first post it's easier to slip into an existing thread on the topic. But as everyone has said it's really too early to tell (and may remain so up until the day you are due to travel). We could see a U, V, W or indeed L or _ shape when it comes to resort shutdowns
latest report
Posted this on the France lockdown thread before I saw this one - French resorts reactions and statements so far:
https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/26/french-ski-resorts-to-open-at-christmas-but-lifts-to-remain-closed-says-french-pm

I'm having virtual drinks with a friend tomorrow that I was meant to see in Chamonix over NY. We're vaguely toying with the idea of going anyway and touring - but I'm not convinced it'd be worth it. I have more later travel options than her though Sad
latest report
Hmm, resorts open lifts closed. Wonder how many people will be hit by the mad skidoo driver rushing back down to tow the next skier up.
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:
Wonder how many people will be hit by the mad skidoo driver rushing back down to tow the next skier up.

+ no grooming, safety markings or avalanche control, what could possibly go wrong.
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Castex announced today that resorts can open for Xmas, but the lifts are to remain closed.....
“Come to the resorts, enjoy the mountain air and spend time in the shops” he said Laughing

I saw that Very Happy Obviously stores, hotels and restaurants are cool, and chairlifts are the thing where all the bad stuff happens. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@fixx,
Quote:

and touring

no snow, no rando ... Sad

Mrs U just got rando boots too and I can tell she's itching to use 'em

At this rate, I can get her skins for xmas and they'll still be a surprise when she unwraps them. Also, cue, "Darling, how lovely! What are they?)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 26-11-20 17:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
primoz wrote:
I saw that Very Happy Obviously stores, hotels and restaurants are cool, and chairlifts are the thing where all the bad stuff happens. rolling eyes

That's sort of missing the point though, isn't it? It's not that chairlifts are bad, it's that having them running attracts a boat-load of people. How many people do you think are going to go visit a ski resort when the lifts are closed? Many many fewer than if the lifts were open. Which reduces the risk level a lot. Plus of course you don't have to deal with as many questions about economic support for the businesses that can now open </cynic>

FWIW, my guess is that part of the reason some of the bigger players are keen to close resorts until after Christmas/NY is because they will start up slowly then, with fewer visitors. Open the gondola doors on Dec 20 and resorts will be really busy if not full. If you want to give yourself the best chance of opening and staying open for the season (to the points about certainty for business above), then you want to open in Jan...and honestly, probably 2 weeks after Christmas/NY just to let any after effects of that period wash through. So much as it's going to annoy @Handy Turnip, I reckon mid-Jan is the most likely outcome Laughing
ski holidays
primoz wrote:

Fewer broken legs from stores, hotels, restaurants.
ski holidays
primoz wrote:

Restaurants are take away only...

Can't see many people paying to stand around in Val Thorens eating a kebab and looking up at the pylons...

You'd feel like a eunuch at an orgy
ski holidays
@ChrisWo,
Quote:

Plus of course you don't have to deal with as many questions about economic support for the businesses that can now open

Yeah, you just have to deal with the long term fallout from business failures ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EasyJet just cancelled my family's flights to Geneva in February (just before half term), so things are not looking too rosy!
latest report
ChrisWo wrote:
So much as it's going to annoy @Handy Turnip, I reckon mid-Jan is the most likely outcome Laughing
Laughing Laughing
latest report
Interesting statement from the Portes du Soleil: https://www.facebook.com/284452201937/posts/10157887414901938/
snow report
@under a new name, just talking to someone and my big fear is that those who actually go to a resort at Xmas, and what with shops open, might consider renting Rando gear, if only to skin up the piste, and then ski down, but their skill-sets might be such that they can't ski unprepared pistes and injure themselves ending up in the hospital.

And that's not taking into account those that will go and try it away from the resort and potentially be a bigger drain on resources.

Then Ski touring will end up being banned again rolling eyes

I'm sort of mentally preparing myself for this scenario for the two or so weeks we'll be out before resorts open.

If we get the snow then I at least hope that they'll prepare XC pistes ?
snow report
@under a new name, I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing, just that it's rational from some perspectives!
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I don't think that's really truly a big problem, do you? I can't see it. Anyway, even here there isn't that much rando kit for hire.
ski holidays
Quote:
Unless Switzerland is persuaded to close also the situation in France will result in riots or worse
I'm intrigued....What could possibly happen that's worse than riots??

Over the closure of ski resorts? Shocked Eh??

God knows how people might react if this was a matter of life and death, with thousands of people dying... Confused
ski holidays
@under a new name, in Serre Che could be a problem as we have so much available terrain and many shops rent rando gear.

I only have to look at FaceBook and see people extolling the virtues of Rando and how that's going to be the thing to do, and a few of these are people who have only been out with me once or twice in nigh on perfect Spring snow conditions.

December, Jan is totally different as you know.
snow report
No tourists will go rando.

Because it sucks.

You spend 2hrs plodding uphill in freezing cold, and 2mins sliding down on half-skis.

Touring is for ski nerds.
snow conditions
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/austrians-and-swiss-go-off-piste-in-christmas-skiing-covid-row

Some interesting views/snapshot quotes in this
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
primoz wrote:

Restaurants are take away only...

Can't see many people paying to stand around in Val Thorens eating a kebab and looking up at the pylons...

You'd feel like a eunuch at an orgy

Pretty much what certain days of the last EOSB felt like - a eunuch at a very very windy orgy
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
No tourists will go rando.

Because it sucks.

You spend 2hrs plodding uphill in freezing cold, and 2mins sliding down on half-skis.

Touring is for ski nerds.

Says the w_anker who advises you should ski off-piste without a backpack Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy