Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
JohnHSmith wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=4704686
It might seem odd but in many ways it would be easier for me psychologically if I were unable to go. That would take the decision out of my hands. It feels harder to be able to go legally (assuming that Italy allows visitors from the date the slopes open) but to not go because it is the right moral decision

I hear you, I would say I’m a mentally flexible person, last minute changes of plans to not faze me & I know we are living in uncharterd times so these last minute changes are required but the absolute unwillingness to commit to digital black & white rules from the U.K. government is shocking
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
halfhand wrote:
@JohnHSmith, Why are you trying to twist this to justify a ski holiday? It is not essential, it does not constitute exercise within the meaning
of the Tier 4 restrictions and as you are in a Tier 4 area you are not allowed to travel abroad unless you have a damn good reason (like work). Going skiing is not a good enough reason. It is really not difficult.

I'm not trying to justify a ski holiday. In exactly the same way as many other people (I am not claiming anything special just for me) I have not been on furlough over the last year or so, and whilst everyone else in my office has been on furlough, I have been left to cover the day and night shifts of three people. I need a break from it. I have booked myself holiday time off work in July, August, September and December and for pressure of work reasons, every one has been cancelled. I need a break mentally. Perhaps I am not as mentally resilient as others. Having been self employed for about 30 years until 3 years ago, my mindset is such that if I do not go away from home, then there is no rest. I am still waiting for the phone to ring for work matters.
It would be easier for me if travel were not permitted (you are perfectly entitled to your interpretation of the regulations @halfhand but having read the Govt website and read the regulations, I am confident that I am actually permitted to travel abroad to ski) and whilst I do believe I can leave the UK, I am not sure I can enter Italy.
Mentally that makes it easier for me to focus on getting through until Easter and hope I can take a holiday then.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JohnHSmith, I can totally feel where you're coming from and know how you feel. Between March and up to now all i've had is a week off in Sept - all other leave being cancelled. Even the Sept week was spent trying to sort out elderly parents and errant son. MY OH got made redundant in Oct and we took the decision to come out to France in early Dec. I can honestly say its the best thing we could have done. The change of scene and being in the mountains even without the skiing has made an enormously positive impact to my mental health. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a holiday - having something to look forward to gives us all hope and a reason to keep going.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@JohnHSmith, current list of EU safe countries:

Information for travellers from third countries to the EU
The Council updated the list of countries for which travel restrictions should be lifted. This list will continue to be reviewed and, as the case may be, updated every two weeks.

With current rates the UK seems unlikely to enter this list for several weeks/months. That sound be all the proof you need that you cannot go.

I am aware of this. But it isn't a ban, a prohibition. It provides details of countries to which restrictions apply. The restrictions vary
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JohnHSmith, we all need a break from it, however, those of us with an ounce of sense in our heads are spending that break at home, as foreign travel is only allowed in exceptional circumstances, a skiing holiday is not an exceptional circumstance. I have a property I can't visit.
Turn off the phone, disconnect your work email account and find yourself something to distract you from it. Or just go ahead, ignore your conscience and spread the virus around.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JohnHSmith, totally get where you are coming from but I don't think the gov.uk allows you to travel. I've potentially 2 months without work in feb/march and am hoping to get some skiing in but it's not looking likely at the moment.

Can you book a holiday from work, turn your phone off and enjoy Cumbria from your doorstep??

Quote:
Those in a Tier 4 area in England, should not travel abroad. You can only travel internationally where you first have a legally permitted reason to leave home.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the situation carries on as it is currently, it's going to be the end of a lot of businesses in the ski areas.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If the situation carries on as it is currently, it's going to be the end of a lot of businesses in the ski areas.

Something that will no doubt be very much in the minds of the decision-makers when Austria emerges from lockdown in a couple of weeks. As a local bar manager said to me back in November, “they can’t keep us closed, or we’ll all go bust”. At least the infection rate has been going in the right direction (opposite to the U.K.).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@robs1, sadly, I think you’re right. It already has been.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JohnHSmith, You're in the wrong here bud. Best to just accept no skiing for a while and move on Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Irrespective of your interpretation of the UK government advice, all the alpine countries currently effectively ban tourist travel and/or (in most cases 'and') also mandate quarantine after arrival, which would rule out a short break. Most of these restrictions will be reviewed before Jan 18th, but that doesn't mean they'll change. The information from the FCDO ( https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice ) is a good source, though I'd suggest backing it up with information directly from your target country.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/ansturm-skigebiete-lockdown-103.html

Apologies that this is German only. Brief summary- loads of Germans headed to the slopes in the Alps, Black Forest, Harz and Sauerland. Police managed to turn a fair few around, but as the pictures show, plenty managed it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I spoke with SERMA today (Mozine-Avoriaz).
They said, that they are expecting an announcement on the 7th, rather than opening on the 7th.
This is a bit of a step change from the previous position that they would open on the 7th if sanitary conditions permitted.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sadly I’ve written off skiing for this year. I would be surprised if UK travellers are allowed to travel to ski this season
Most of UK will be in lockdown with non essential travel banned even assuming the resorts are fully opened. ☹️
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just moved my Obergurgl 6th March 2021 trip to 5th march 2022... Same price, deposit carried over, all very easy via Crystal.

Slim chance of it being possible this year but I've judged that enjoyment of the holiday would be spoiled by the various requirements and restrictions.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
@JohnHSmith, we all need a break from it, however, those of us with an ounce of sense in our heads are spending that break at home, as foreign travel is only allowed in exceptional circumstances, a skiing holiday is not an exceptional circumstance. I have a property I can't visit.
Turn off the phone, disconnect your work email account and find yourself something to distract you from it. Or just go ahead, ignore your conscience and spread the virus around.

There is always golf! Wonderful way to spend 3 to 4 hours walking around especially if you live in an urban area.
ski holidays
Just a quick question, how many of you would travel to a ski resort where the lifts are NOT running for the foreseeable future if travel restrictions allowed you to do so?
snow report
Italy has just pencilled in 18th January to open their ski resorts
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Just a quick question, how many of you would travel to a ski resort where the lifts are NOT running for the foreseeable future if travel restrictions allowed you to do so?

Not I.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

I would as long as there wasn't a ban on touring!
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

Never
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

I would. Definitely if that becomes the situation I will be down that tunnel like a rat down a sewer Laughing
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

An unlikely scenario - that lifts considered more 'dangerous' than cross-border travel. BUT if it was the case that everyone agreed that international mixing was in fact of no consequence, but sitting on a lift with someone for 6 minutes was, then yes, I would more than likely go to my 2nd home - just for the bloody change of scenery.
latest report
As the snow builds up at the Scottish ski areas anyone thinking of having a Scottish ski trip is out of luck for this month at least, the Scottish Government has announced a lockdown from midnight tonight for the whole of January as a minimum and that amongst other measures will result in all the Scottish ski areas having to close. https://www.thenational.scot/news/18985056.covid-scotland-stay-home-order-new-limit-outdoor-meetings/
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

Well all the french did to Chamonix and Megeve over Christmas and New Year. In Les Houches we were running at approx 2000 per day uphill!
ski holidays
Has anyone heard if the mont blanc season pass can be changed from this season to next season and just call it quits for this year
snow conditions
@Idris, So if there was a chairlift fatigue virus pandemic rather than a human one? Very Happy Yes I would be there.

But as I can skin next day or go bopzing the night before I would be contributing less to the economy.
latest report
Apparently Andorra plans to open for international UK tourists with negative PCR tests from 9th of January "subject to the epidemiological situation"

From the email received today
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Oleski, Small snag with getting there though, as I don't think Spain or France will see getting to Andorra as essential.

We could always have a whip round for a exec chopper!
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

An unlikely scenario - that lifts considered more 'dangerous' than cross-border travel. BUT if it was the case that everyone agreed that international mixing was in fact of no consequence, but sitting on a lift with someone for 6 minutes was, then yes, I would more than likely go to my 2nd home - just for the bloody change of scenery.

This was an option for anyone living in tier 1 or 2 departing self drive to France for Christmas week to do activities like snow shoeing and cross country skiing. Obviously the opportunity has now passed until the UK covid rate comes down.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

We did just that on 15 Dec. As much as I would like to have the lifts open and be able to ski, I have to say am really glad we came out. We are pretty much self isolating anyway here - self catering, just OH and I but making the most of the change of scene, wide open spaces and walking. Planning on doing some snow shoeing and poss x country in the next couple of weeks (assuming no lifts).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy