Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH, is that the Bruson bubble ? gonna be a long day there if that is the queue
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, not a lot of social distancing happening !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
@BobinCH, is that the Bruson bubble ? gonna be a long day there if that is the queue

That was Le Châble. We ditched that queue and drove up the hill. A bit better at Medran but still busy. Xmas is going to be nuts!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55181518
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A parody video went viral in Switzerland this week that punned on the Austrian resort of Ischgl that became a coronavirus hotspot earlier this year. It invited tourists to fictional Ischgliich — Swiss dialect for “I don't care” — and advised booking soon, with “intensive care beds already sold out.” On Friday, Zürich’s Tages-Anzeiger newspaper asked: “Is Switzerland a liberal freak show?”

https://www.srf.ch/play/tv/deville/video/ischgliich?urn=urn:srf:video:8977327b-468f-4aba-bd78-0ea2b8d53b71
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:

I’d guess if infections rise in the area then there could be a detrimental effect on the countries planing to open in the new year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
r11s wrote:
kitenski wrote:

I’d guess if infections rise in the area then there could be a detrimental effect on the countries planing to open in the new year.

Yep the spotlight is definitely on CH. Most of the queueing is outside or in well ventilated buildings and everyone’s wearing masks so hopefully that avoids virus spreading but who knows...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Let’s hope so, like you say, the eyes of the European leaders will be focussing on the impact of resorts being open in CH.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The other countries should be grateful for Switzerland running this pilot. If there isn't a surge in cases befoe Christmas, then there is some confidence resorts elsewhere can at least open lifts. There would still be a question mark over bars and restaurants though.

Rather like the UK, early application of Tier 3 in Liverpool showed numbers could be brought down even though schools and universities were functioning (with restrictions).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Being devil's advocate here, but how will anyone know that they caught the virus in Verbier? At the moment, aren't most of these people non-resident visitors from the catchment area? Anyone contracting this Weekend won't show symptoms until well into next week. When they'll be back at work or home somewhere else, with plenty of other contacts in-between. I suppose if everyone is running the 'SwissCovid' app that might narrow tracing down, and if everyone is scanning a Q-code somewhere then that will help. On reflection, might it not even be misleading? e.g. most of the infections showing up in Lausanne, Sion, Montreux and Geneva?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
r11s wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Yep the spotlight is definitely on CH. Most of the queueing is outside or in well ventilated buildings and everyone’s wearing masks so hopefully that avoids virus spreading but who knows...

the bed-wetters will be quick to blame skiing...the average tube train is x5 worse than that, enclosed, with mixed mask wearing compliance....plus today's headlines showing how shops are absolutely packed with bargain hunters...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Bodski96, I was rather hoping to ski in France next week but the forecast snow seems to have passed us by.

Seems like they all made it!

And this is why this season will probably be a writeoff rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hardly any lift queues in Zermatt today. The large gondola was full obviously, but no worse than the plane over here.

If I get covid (again) it won’t be pinned on Switzerland anyway.

Ski resorts in Scandinavia are open as far as I know (they are in Sweden at least), but it’s been a poor start to the season.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 5-12-20 18:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That’s the trouble with only Switzerland offering skiing at the moment to non-residents, everyone that wants to do it goes there making it busier than usual.
Even if there are fewer people going because of quarantine reasons etc, if those that do go descend in one place then it will be busy there
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Themasterpiece, ah I see so Zermatt wasn’t that busy then?
snow conditions
Verbier would probably be more popular as it’s not far from Chamonix and also with Zermatt you have to get the train all the way there with sometimes 3 changes
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, Are you with MancSkier and Andre Silva? They are both in Zermatt right now.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, yes
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
That’s the trouble with only Switzerland offering skiing at the moment to non-residents, everyone that wants to do it goes there making it busier than usual.
Even if there are fewer people going because of quarantine reasons etc, if those that do go descend in one place then it will be busy there

with shopping malls full and football opening up again this weekend I'd say that there are multiple threat vectors. Skiing is probably reasonably far down the list
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, Og du kommer fra Sverige. Ha det godt. Happy
latest report
Dravot wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

with shopping malls full and football opening up again this weekend I'd say that there are multiple threat vectors. Skiing is probably reasonably far down the list

As are restaurants in UK TIER 3, but the rationale of the decision makers seems to differ from us powerless plebs. I’m exhausted by my own impotent raging !
ski holidays
r11s wrote:
I’m exhausted by my own impotent raging !

?? isn't that what sewage media (sorry I mean social media) is for... impotent raging?
snow report
Hi Does anyone know the situation in Spain and what it might be Christmas week? As far as I can tell Baqueira is open, although not much activity on the web cams.
snow conditions
James77 wrote:
Just seen Hotelplan suspended Inghams ski and Flexi Ski at ski until after 30th January, apologies if already been said.

Interesting -- Crystal are still offering Holidays for January...
snow conditions
albob wrote:
James77 wrote:
Just seen Hotelplan suspended Inghams ski and Flexi Ski at ski until after 30th January, apologies if already been said.

But for which countries/resorts & for which dates?
snow report
Quote:

albob wrote:
James77 wrote:

But for which countries/resorts & for which dates?

With Austrian accommodation providers and restaurants opening on 8th January, and the mandatory quarantine scheduled to end on 10th January, I can imagine that Crystal might do good business in January, particularly if the second wave has petered out by then and people are getting vaccinated.
snow conditions
@Tom H,
Quote:

Hi Does anyone know the situation in Spain and what it might be Christmas week? As far as I can tell Baqueira is open, although not much activity on the web cams.

Negative PCR test required to enter Spain, as well as various forms and scans at the airport. You must fly into Catalonia (Barcelona or Gerona) as Catalonia has a closed perimeter border - you can't go skiing from other regions of Spain. Nighttime curfew and bars etc close at 9.30pm. Also quarantine on return home. They are on a trajectory of loosening restrictions though.
snow conditions
Was in a big local ski shop this pm. A lot of people buy skimo gear.

One of the salespeople also told me there would be a shortage of ski de fond gear, partly due to demand but also due to less gear being made this year.

In my local big ski resort this morning. It was like a busy weekend in the season with the number of people skinning up and doing other activities. Ok I've seen similar at the start of the season before the lifts open. 50cm of snow at 1450 meters and down to valley levels in some quantity. The first time le sappey have pisted the village ski de fond trails for 3 seasons.

Quite a few cars in difficulty as the last 6km were on snow covered frozen roads. I only put the winter tires on yesterday as I had the brake pads to change.

Police were checking attestation on the way out - they'd caught a number of ski tourers well over the 3 hours (remember this includes the commute) but were just warning people today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

One of the salespeople also told me there would be a shortage of ski de fond gear, partly due to demand but also due to less gear being made this year.

In my local big ski resort this morning. It was like a busy weekend in the season with the number of people skinning up and doing other activities. Ok I've seen similar at the start of the season before the lifts open. 50cm of snow at 1450 meters and down to valley levels in some quantity. The first time le sappey have pisted the village ski de fond trails for 3 seasons.

Quite a few cars in difficulty as the last 6km were on snow covered frozen roads. I only put the winter tires on yesterday as I had the brake pads to change.

Police were checking attestation on the way out - they'd caught a number of ski tourers well over the 3 hours (remember this includes the commute) but were just warning people today.

I assume this is France?
snow report
Dravot wrote:
davidof wrote:

I assume this is France?

Yes.
snow conditions
JohnHSmith wrote:
Friends in the Kronplatz area are expecting opening on 7th January. They would normally be opening about now
Dolomiti Superski have announced 7th Jan Opening snowHead
ski holidays
Does anybody know if the Austrian quarantine arrangements are to run out ON the 10th January or at 23:59 on 10th January? I.E. If one arrives in Austria on 10th January, will they be quarantined?
ski holidays
The restrictions are in place until at least 10 Jan. it’s wait and see at the moment unfortunately
latest report
[quote="BobinCH"]
r11s wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Most of the queueing is outside or in well ventilated buildings and everyone’s wearing masks so hopefully that avoids virus spreading but who knows...

Outside but shoulder to shoulder! Covidiots never better described.

I'm desperate to ski again - but not desperate enough to join the massed ranks in lift queues like that. I really can't see this ending well rolling eyes
ski holidays
https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information

Does this say that with a verified negative test within 72 hours of arrival no quarantine needed ?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

Your comments about rising numbers, sadly, playing out. Do you happen to "know" how much is simply to do with increased testing?

I hear that shops here who sell rando kit are selling a lot of rando kit. Quite a bit of muttering about avvy knowledge, experience, risks, etc.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I hear that shops here who sell rando kit are selling a lot of rando kit. Quite a bit of muttering about avvy knowledge, experience, risks, etc.

Doesn't surprise me, but the other problem is that the avi courses – required this year more than ever, with the increased number of tourers – can't run. I organised one back in September when everything was fine to run in November, which got bumped twice due to regs and then cancelled because we ran out of dates Sad
snow conditions
I have just been spammed by another resort saying about how they are open but the lifts aren't, and why don't I go and spend my Christmas holidays there, as it's such a fun place.
I really think whoever is behind this is a complete bell-end.
They just haven't thought it through.
If as we are told the lifts are closed for sanitary reasons (stop spread of COVID), then FFS don't encourage people to travel 100s of Kms, where they might either bring the virus with them or take it back again.
Given that the bars and resto's are closed - what is there actually to do in the evenings? Right - nada. So people will buy drink in the crowded supermarkets, and then congregate in the town after drinking cheap supermarket booze.
If walking while social distancing is such a great thing to do in the winter time, why haven't millions of people been doing this every winter instead of wasting money on needless expenses such as skis, snowboards, lift-passes, lessons & helmets?
And for those who do visit the mountains for the first time, they risk being very disappointed with the whole shebang, seeing it as getting cold for no good reason.
If people come and spend their money on travel and (discounted) accommodation when the resort is effectively closed, that really hurts the local businesses like ski schools, restaurants, bars, ski shops etc...
Much better would be that the resort states "We are CLOSED - but we'd love to have you visit when we are open again."
Then all the services can benefit from the influx of tourists, and the user experience will be soooo much better than passing the day hunkered down in a 12m2 studio as its cold outside with the highlight of the day being a packet fondue and a bottle of Sidi Brahim from Carrefour Mountain.
ski holidays
...and breathe!

Wink
snow report
@WindOfChange, tbf they are only echoing Castex the French PM.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy