Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
Castex said there would be enforcement when the Swiss PdS resorts open (Dec 15th).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WindOfChange, who's going to enforce it? it's truly unenforceable.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like i said here theres only really 2 border crossings, and the extra Gendarmes normally posted to the ski resorts could easily do it, as they'll have little else to do.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WindOfChange, 2 xings in the PDS but 572 kms of normally unpatrolled border with CH and per the news story, 9 brigades of douaniers to do the patrolling on top of their normal duties...

The news anchor was rather trying too hard not to laugh ... snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has any date been officially been given for when the french will reopen the lifts ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@robs1, Not yet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WindOfChange wrote:
ecureuil wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Whitters wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Not sure if already posted but France to impose random border checks to stop skiers crossing the border to Switzerland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55157175

Good luck with that.....there are dozens of border crossings, including usually unmanned ones, that will need to be policed so they'll probably concentrate on the main ones. Probably more of a psychological deterrent than an effective control

Completely agree - maybe they'll impose such a high fine for getting caught that it puts off the majority from trying, even though the odds of getting through are in their favour.

A threat of mandatory isolation /quarantine, perhaps in a government facility, if caught on the return may also help.

On the way upto the ski resorts in Swiss PdS, really there's only 2 border crossings that are any use, St Gingolphe and Pas de Morgins.
You could come across from St Cergue or Geneva and dog it round the top of the lake, but it's a bit of a schlepp.

Also there's no fine - You will have not broken the law.
Castex said as much in the interview.
He said we can't stop you from going into Switzerland to ski, but we want to deter you.
You will need to quarantine for 7 days though as you have been in a "high risk" area.

Strange though that they don't mind me crossing into Switzerland daily to work indoors in an air conditioned office with other people, but they don't want me in the outdoors when I will be waring a mask and gloves. And no quarantine or people trying to deter me. ( Apart from Mrs WoC )
Also my helmet will protect me from everything, I read it on here last year.

Liberty- Fraternity - Equality == Police State - Intolerance - Hypocrisy

I'm of similar thinking to you.

The tunnel vision of Merkel, Conte and Macron seems to be that absolutely skiing in the EU must be curtailed to next to nothing. Similar to the 4 UK nations where leisure, even outdoor some sports, were banned. Their argument I guess would be that education and industry/commerce must prevail, where choices have to be made to bring down R values, over sports. It's not just skiing/boarding in itself, if hotels and lifts were open, that would encourage huge numbers e.g. wealthy Germans to ski elsewhere ... movements of people fuelling the pandemic across the EU. Ischgl seems to get mentioned all the time, but can't the sport be continued this time with closed bars and nightclubs?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Exactly - Banning skiing because of Ischgl is like banning football because of Heysel.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow&skifan wrote:
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-austria/austria-allows-christmas-skiing-effectively-for-locals-only-idUKKBN28C1RG

VIENNA (Reuters) - Austria on Wednesday chose a middle way in its standoff with neighbouring countries on whether skiing over Christmas is safe, by letting resorts reopen on Christmas Eve but making ski holidays virtually impossible.

Restaurants, hotels and tourist accommodation, however, will stay closed until Jan. 7, the government said, meaning skiing over the holiday period will essentially be limited to people who live close enough to a resort for a day trip.

In an apparent concession to Rome, Berlin and Paris, which had expressed concern about cross-border trips, Austria also said it was introducing a new quarantine requirement for anyone arriving from their countries and many more.

Until Jan. 10 all arrivals in Austria from a country with more than 100 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people in the previous two weeks will have to go into 10 days’ quarantine, which can be shortened if they test negative after five days in isolation, the government said in a statement.

That covers virtually all of Europe, including Germany, where the level is currently above 300 and Italy, where it is above 600. Austria’s own infection level is 796, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.

So they don't have a plan for after Jan 10th? Can't see them going less stringent after that but can they ban ski holidays forever?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pastorius, long term plans don't really work in these Covid times, as the situation is constantly changing. My guess is the quarantine restrictions may remain in the hope that the various national lockdowns manage to reduce the infection rates sufficiently. That would at least allow the hotel industry to reopen.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our ski trip to italy with ingams has been confirmed as cancelled, they are trying to offer us a week in march if theres availbility at the hotel we had orginally booked into..now waiting to hear if my first week in feb is also cancelled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A message in the snow to Macron, from the Paradiski pisteurs;

https://en.la-plagne.com/discover/ski-area/webcams/roche-de-mio
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RichYork, can't see anything. Is it yellow?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichYork wrote:
A message in the snow to Macron, from the Paradiski pisteurs;

https://en.la-plagne.com/discover/ski-area/webcams/roche-de-mio

Did you mean this shot?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153187&start=40#4683788
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You need to rewind the webcam to about 14h to see it
snow conditions
The organiser of our trip to VT (2nd Jan departure) says that VT won't open until 23rd Jan. I've not seen anything on here but can anyone else have confirm this?
snow report
Swiss hotel rooms were selling out fast yesterday and today, I assume on the back of the news from Austria.

(From perusing booking.com and individual hotel websites).
snow report
@halfhand, Steve Angus on the Snow Reports subforum also mentioned 23rd Jan but no one else has (other dates mentioned include 5th, 15th, 20th). No idea where the date comes from, but maybe there is some info on the ground, there are a few Snowhead spies in resort who might have clues.
latest report
@j b, Cheers. I don't expect it to be going ahead anyway Toofy Grin
latest report
Heard from a friend of ours, who is a head-waitress at one of the bigger operations in Tignes that she will be starting work in early Feb.
snow conditions
@Ski lots, if true that gives a very tight window for anyone trying to avoid French half-term. According to another thread that starts 6th Feb, though congestion will be worst after 13th (Parisian plus UK holidays).
snow conditions
waitress implies not only opening, but restaurant or bar opening. Here's hoping.
snow report
Friends in the Kronplatz area are expecting opening on 7th January. They would normally be opening about now
ski holidays
It's time to crack on here. Restaurants and bars re-open soon as well.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 18-06-21 1:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
j b wrote:
@Ski lots, if true that gives a very tight window for anyone trying to avoid French half-term. According to another thread that starts 6th Feb, though congestion will be worst after 13th (Parisian plus UK holidays).

Cough cough JB, I think you mean English holidays, our half term is 6th Feb. I wish it was that week later as every week counts at the moment
ski holidays
I can’t see the numbers being anywhere near normal for UK travellers at half term given schoolchildren would need to quarantine for a week and miss school (if they don’t mind paying the test & release) or two weeks if they won’t pay it.
snow report
@Skimum1, also the one week a year skiers who aren’t that into it won’t care too much about missing a year
snow conditions
@Skimum1, I'm happy to pay for the tests but quarantine even for a week will kill it I want my kids in school they've missed too much as it is.

Unless quarantine disappears by February 13th (unlikely) I can't see us going at half term. Still a few weeks away from paying a balance so sitting tight as I'm sure many others are.

Only hope is Erna Low can change booking to Easter and wife can get the time off work.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lucky you (normally) @Jonny996, we were always grateful on the occasions when our local county council set our February half term different from the majority of the country.

This year of course, no point really in worrying about dates at the moment. Very little is predictable.
latest report
Quote:

also the one week a year skiers who aren’t that into it won’t care too much about missing a year

Ime it's the one week a year skiers that are kicking up the most fuss and going to the more extreme lengths to try and ski. Most of the seasonnaires/ski bums I know are "meh, can't be bothered with the hassle of this season - it will still be there next year".
snow report
Ski Miguel are delaying start of their season to mid jan for all destinations
snow conditions
Just seen Hotelplan suspended Inghams ski and Flexi Ski at ski until after 30th January, apologies if already been said.
snow report
r11s wrote:
Ski Miguel are delaying start of their season to mid jan for all destinations

Could be end jan / start Feb, awaiting details
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@WindOfChange, 2 xings in the PDS but 572 kms of normally unpatrolled border with CH and per the news story, 9 brigades of douaniers to do the patrolling on top of their normal duties...

The news anchor was rather trying too hard not to laugh ... snowHead

You wanna bring back the old days and play a petit cache-cache on the cols? It's totally true, not even the Gestapo managed to seal that border completely. I'm just not sure that's everyone's cup of tea.

Snow&skifan wrote:

The tunnel vision of Merkel, Conte and Macron seems to be that absolutely skiing in the EU must be curtailed to next to nothing. Similar to the 4 UK nations where leisure, even outdoor some sports, were banned. Their argument I guess would be that education and industry/commerce must prevail, where choices have to be made to bring down R values, over sports. It's not just skiing/boarding in itself, if hotels and lifts were open, that would encourage huge numbers e.g. wealthy Germans to ski elsewhere ... movements of people fuelling the pandemic across the EU. Ischgl seems to get mentioned all the time, but can't the sport be continued this time with closed bars and nightclubs?

Switzerland and Austria are real ski nations, while Germany, Italy, France and the UK are not. The difference being, is skiing seen as a normal thing you do or perceived as a leisure for the upper classes. Some skiers will catch covid, bars closed or not. The press would make a fuss about that, even if the risk isn't any higher. The corona measures are already heavily redestributive to the top. Lower income people are losing their jobs by the thousands while the rentier class is pretty much uneffected. That all doesn't play well with maintaining the public corona discipline and down the road with support for the leading politicians. So at its core it's some kind of symbol politics. But not in an ineffective way.
ski holidays
6 lifts to open in Soelden on 24 Dec. Hotels/Rest from 7 Jan.

https://www.soelden.com/winter/live-info/current-ski-resort-information.html
snow conditions
The way it’s looking, does anyone think it’s actually realistic that we will be allowed to ski in France at all in January?
snow conditions
Bodski96 wrote:
The way it’s looking, does anyone think it’s actually realistic that we will be allowed to ski in France at all in January?

No. You need to look beyond France.
snow report
snow conditions
@Bodski96, I was rather hoping to ski in France next week but the forecast snow seems to have passed us by.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Bodski96, I was rather hoping to ski in France next week but the forecast snow seems to have passed us by.

Seems like they all made it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy