Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
queenie pretty please wrote:
Just reported on Der Standard ahead of the Austrian government announcement tomorrow. Shops and schools can reopen on 7th December but hotels and restaurants will remain closed until January. Ski areas can open with the agreed safety measures. There will be a government rescue package for hotels and restaurants.

So basically locals and day trippers can ski, bringing their butties and thermos flasks but no ski holidays.

I don't understand this. Are all hotels closed in Austria and must remain so? Are hotels not essential service e.g.for travellers on essential business / carers etc.?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@peanuthead, hotels can be used for business purposes, but not tourism purposes. This also includes holiday self catering apartments.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When we went to france in July the shops and restaurants were very very pleased to see tourists...as they got very little support from the government , one couple wanted us to stay longer, even though we'd been there 3 months, we travelled to Poitiers, Limoges, Angoulême, la Rochelle...all were desperate for tourists and have had a terrible year, if a ski resort does not want us there then they must be very well off... for many its the only time they make any money.. i could be wrong, but I’ll bet a couple of beers im right
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It doesn't matter what the individual business thinks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Merkel & co cranking up pressure on Austria to keep hotels closed until they open too:
https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000122134319/kein-skiurlaub-in-den-weihnachtsferien

No skiing holidays during the Christmas holidays
Schools and commerce are ramped up, gastro and the hotel industry remain in place for the time being. The government plans strict entry restrictions for the holidays.

Michael Völker, Steffen Arora
1 December 2020, 18:27

No skiing during the Christmas holidays – this is what the government wants to announce on Wednesday after the Council of Ministers.

Vienna – There will be no skiing holiday in Austria, not this year. The Christmas holidays will not be able to be spent on the slopes, not by Austrians and not by foreign guests. The cable cars will start operating, but the catering and the hotel industry will remain closed, and the Corona-related barrier is expected to last until January. These and other measures will be announced by the government on Wednesday after the Council of Ministers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder what they can do about Airbnbs and such.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@blind_raven, Airbnb in Austria has to be registered tourist accommodation, so yes they need to remain closed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Same in Slovenia... if you rent anything on Airbnb (or any other platform), you need to be registered, same way as big hotel. You can surely rent on Airbnb without being registered, but it's quite sure way to get few 1000eur fine from tax authorities (and few others, as there's more then just tax stuff involved). And as soon as you are registered, you are in same place as any other accommodation. Ok in spring, when first lockdown was losening up, they first opened small(er) accommodations, so small apartments/rooms/hotels could be open, while bigger (more then 30 beds) were still closed for almost a month.
But at the moment, hotels are closed (including Airbnb) except for business travelers, which are in my case pretty rare unfortunately. But we have at least few so at least we get expenses covered rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anybody got any idea what time the announcement is being made today?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
there goes Italy...
https://www.dovesciare.it/news/2020-12-01/sci-e-covid-incontro-regioni-governo-tutti-i-no-se-ne-riparla-dopo-il-15-gennaio
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pastorius, Austrian press conference at 13:00 CET. It does seem that most details have already been released to the press. On the news this morning, schools and shops reopen, but not hairdressers, indoor sports, restaurants, bars and hotels. Ski areas can reopen for locals and day trippers only. No ski holidays, international arrivals intending to stay in Austria for more than 24 hours, have to quarantine for 10 days.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The way Northern Italy has suffered I can't imagine many of the locals would welcome a flood of tourists anyway. Even if businesses do suffer.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Pastorius, Austrian press conference at 13:00 CET. It does seem that most details have already been released to the press. On the news this morning, schools and shops reopen, but not hairdressers, indoor sports, restaurants, bars and hotels. Ski areas can reopen for locals and day trippers only. No ski holidays, international arrivals intending to stay in Austria for more than 24 hours, have to quarantine for 10 days.

Thanks queenie, seems that's the way it's going to go. Hoping they include an end date for these restrictions as well!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We need to get most vulnerable vaccinated asap. UK regulator has this morning approved the Pfizer vaccine and it will roll out from next week. Hopefully the Oxford one will follow shortly. Unfortunately the EU regulator isn't due to meet until the end of December (although perhaps this will change).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
esaw1 wrote:
The way Northern Italy has suffered I can't imagine many of the locals would welcome a flood of tourists anyway. Even if businesses do suffer.

You may have a point (and I admit that my perception is only driven by the opinion bubble that I have contact with who are generally aligned with my thinking) but I think you need to bear in mind that for many ski resorts, everyone is in the skiing business and no skiing means everyone suffers, and at several levels.

So while I could easily imagine that there are probably many people who live in Aosta who might not welcome the skiing trade there are probably very few in e.g. Champoluc who would argue against opening the lifts in a "safe" and "secured" manner.
ski holidays
mitcva wrote:
We need to get most vulnerable vaccinated asap. UK regulator has this morning approved the Pfizer vaccine and it will roll out from next week. Hopefully the Oxford one will follow shortly. Unfortunately the EU regulator isn't due to meet until the end of December (although perhaps this will change).

Maybe the EU have the view that injecting a chemical punch into the entire of its population without long term testing as being a touch irresponsible?
Given this governments track record the odds are that this first batch is from someone who used to pour them pints at their local.
Since my demographic will probably dictate I will form part of the tail of this programme of "immunisation" and having been at the head of the contagion I will watch with interest
snow conditions
"Chemical punch" like the flu jab
latest report
US regulator due to report on Dec 11. Apparently, the EU regulator doesn't work weekends.
ski holidays
Pastorius wrote:
"Chemical punch" like the flu jab

yes like the flu jab which has Fo9ked my winters on two occasions when the wrong strain or the wrong dose was given to me.
oh and perhaps like thalidomide

only saying......
snow report
@Crevasse dweller, uhhhh, Thalidomide isn’t anything to do with vaccines.
latest report
Quote:

Apparently, the EU regulator doesn't work weekends

“We’ve been able to authorise supply of this vaccine under provisions under European law which exist until January 1st.” - Dr June Raine, Chief Executive MHRA. 2nd December 2020.
ski holidays
Thalidomide isn't a vaccine.

I fully support bringing in vaccination based access to facilities, I'm sure it would make people think twice about whether they actually are anti-vaxxers or not.
latest report
Pastorius wrote:

I fully support bringing in vaccination based access to facilities, I'm sure it would make people think twice about whether they actually are anti-vaxxers or not.

I would agree to that statement but after the rollout and second dosing in what? a years time? so skiing in what? 2022? and as I said I would be at the back of the queue watching with interest.

I also don't consider myself an anti vaxxer but cautious in light of previous experience of covid or flu vaccination.

It would be foolish to put blind faith in a vaccine for one type of covid and so I don't believe it will the panacea to everyones lockdown delirium.

Trust. No one wants to ski more than I do at the moment...even if there was a base.
snow conditions
Best advice I can give to a crevasse dweller is to take plenty of socks. Which one are you wearing today?
latest report
BBC World Service yesterday. Brit instructors from Les Deux Alpes and Saas Fe and a french Instructor from Val d'Isere. Talking about covid repercussions this winter. Interesting piece. Starts at 27.40.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w172x2t4qt2bc8f?fbclid=IwAR0Dr20kUV6LE5rXShpYjoc9LjNvBHBGApgvpBgccVsYW6ons4oCaj4LHMI
snow conditions
@Crevasse dweller,
Quote:

one type of covid

There are other types causing any problems so far? (SARS1 and MERS very restricted and barely noticeable, mink version causing problems for minks, mRNA tech means rollout of new versions for new versions relatively trivial).

"panacea to lockdown delirium"? No. The only realistic path back to some sort of normal? Yes.
snow report
@DJL, titter.
snow report
Not sure if already posted but France to impose random border checks to stop skiers crossing the border to Switzerland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55157175
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Not sure if already posted but France to impose random border checks to stop skiers crossing the border to Switzerland.

Fame at last for Nicolas Rubin!
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:

You mean to try to stop them going! Long border that is...
ski holidays
Fair point!!!
ski holidays
Big protest , considering size of the area , in Bourg St Maurice today organised by the 5 Marie’s . I doubt many pics in social media later
snow conditions
I'm not sure if they know something we don't but I have just had two bookings through my agent for Xmas week and New Year week.
So even though the ski area is shut it would appear the French still want to go away for the holidays.
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:

Good luck with that.....there are dozens of border crossings, including usually unmanned ones, that will need to be policed so they'll probably concentrate on the main ones. Probably more of a psychological deterrent than an effective control
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Good luck with that.....there are dozens of border crossings, including usually unmanned ones, that will need to be policed so they'll probably concentrate on the main ones. Probably more of a psychological deterrent than an effective control

Completely agree - maybe they'll impose such a high fine for getting caught that it puts off the majority from trying, even though the odds of getting through are in their favour.
snow report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That has left one French town hall on the Swiss border draping Swiss flags from its windows in protest at the French decision not to allow the ski lifts to run. Châtel is among a number of resorts on both sides of the border that make up the Portes du Soleil ski area.
snow report
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-austria/austria-allows-christmas-skiing-effectively-for-locals-only-idUKKBN28C1RG

VIENNA (Reuters) - Austria on Wednesday chose a middle way in its standoff with neighbouring countries on whether skiing over Christmas is safe, by letting resorts reopen on Christmas Eve but making ski holidays virtually impossible.

Restaurants, hotels and tourist accommodation, however, will stay closed until Jan. 7, the government said, meaning skiing over the holiday period will essentially be limited to people who live close enough to a resort for a day trip.

In an apparent concession to Rome, Berlin and Paris, which had expressed concern about cross-border trips, Austria also said it was introducing a new quarantine requirement for anyone arriving from their countries and many more.

Until Jan. 10 all arrivals in Austria from a country with more than 100 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people in the previous two weeks will have to go into 10 days’ quarantine, which can be shortened if they test negative after five days in isolation, the government said in a statement.

That covers virtually all of Europe, including Germany, where the level is currently above 300 and Italy, where it is above 600. Austria’s own infection level is 796, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Whitters wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Completely agree - maybe they'll impose such a high fine for getting caught that it puts off the majority from trying, even though the odds of getting through are in their favour.

A threat of mandatory isolation /quarantine, perhaps in a government facility, if caught on the return may also help.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Whitters wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

A threat of mandatory isolation /quarantine, perhaps in a government facility, if caught on the return may also help.

On the way upto the ski resorts in Swiss PdS, really there's only 2 border crossings that are any use, St Gingolphe and Pas de Morgins.
You could come across from St Cergue or Geneva and dog it round the top of the lake, but it's a bit of a schlepp.

Also there's no fine - You will have not broken the law.
Castex said as much in the interview.
He said we can't stop you from going into Switzerland to ski, but we want to deter you.
You will need to quarantine for 7 days though as you have been in a "high risk" area.

Strange though that they don't mind me crossing into Switzerland daily to work indoors in an air conditioned office with other people, but they don't want me in the outdoors when I will be waring a mask and gloves. And no quarantine or people trying to deter me. ( Apart from Mrs WoC )
Also my helmet will protect me from everything, I read it on here last year.

Liberty- Fraternity - Equality == Police State - Intolerance - Hypocrisy
latest report
@WindOfChange, but watching the news today there's no enforcement of any quarantine ... the underlying problem is the total lack of logic.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy