Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe's ski resorts to remain closed until mid January?

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
The French resorts seem to have accepted that Christmas is a no go and are pushing strongly for a 5th January reopening. Given the lack of visitors then it seems like it could work.

The Pyrenees - where there is a lot of spare bed capacity in hospitals want to reopen whenever there is snow but were told no by the govt. today.

That would be awesome if it happened!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jabuzzard, I wonder if there are any routes crossing the border that do not have APNR?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tatmanstours wrote:
@jabuzzard, I wonder if there are any routes crossing the border that do not have APNR?

Probably, but the two things. Firstly in terms of the money governments are spending on COVID-19 adding ANPR to all border crossings would be a drop in ocean, besides it has uses after it's all over anyway wink Second you could just truck up and but some concrete barriers over any minor border crossings that don't have ANPR today. Either way problem solved.

The suggestion was that it was not practical to enforce. I was merely pointing out that the technological means to enforce it exist and are much much cheaper than most people imagine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would be amazed if ANPR wasn’t already in place.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This guy might have found a solution https://www.reddit.com/r/skiing/comments/k3vhq9
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great way of beating the rush hour jams. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Saalbach has not changed its position that the lifts will open on 7th December. The snow cannons are going full pelt. No doubt they want to encourage people like me to buy the season pass.

Apparently we're to expect a further announcement this Wednesday, and it's likely that the opening date will be deferred to 18th (which is unsurprising).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems like it would be an olive branch to the Germans and would still see them open semi on time!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pastorius, yes, an acceptable compromise
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Italian regions propose banning day trippers to save ski season .

Under the proposal, unveiled on Monday by the regions of Piedmont, Valle d'Aosta, Lombardy, Trentino-Alto Adige/South Tyrol, Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia, only people who can prove they have booked accommodation or own a holiday home in a resort area would be allowed to buy a ski pass.

It's the latest push to save Italy's ski season, after the government indicated that slopes would not be allowed to open as usual in December for fear of starting new Covid-19 clusters.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bulgaria - we are having a few cold days here, snowed a bit and snow cannons are on in full power. Slopes starting to look good! Planned openings are 19th of Dec, but historically they open earlier if snow coverage is enough. Current covid measures (effective until the 21st) mean hotels are open, but restaurants are not, so room service only. Mountain huts sell take away food so I guess restaurants around the slopes will do the same. Hotel spa areas also closed. Sports are allowed for adults so skiing is allowed. I guess all this makes it not very attractive for tourism, but at least we (the locals) will have a normal ski season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tatmanstours,

Just wondering how do the locals feel about tourists coming, I understand there is a balance between saving tourist livelihoods and protecting locals especially older people and adding to hospital crisis.

I am sure not everyone will welcome tourists with open arms.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2waterford wrote:

Well I'm sure hugs will be frowned on, but they may perhaps bump elbows..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2waterford wrote:
@tatmanstours,

Just wondering how do the locals feel about tourists coming

Not that enthusiastic.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2waterford wrote:
@tatmanstours,

Just wondering how do the locals feel about tourists coming, I understand there is a balance between saving tourist livelihoods and protecting locals especially older people and adding to hospital crisis.

Good question
snow conditions
2waterford wrote:
@tatmanstours,

Suspect if your business/job depends upon it you’ll be delighted. If it doesn’t you’ll want as few tourists as possible.
ski holidays
When I’ve stayed in B&Bs or family owned hotels in Austria I have noticed that they often have the elderly Mum or Dad living with them in the same residence so I suppose it will be something they’ve considered. With that said if you need the money to make a living then you need it to happen
snow report
https://www.lefigaro.fr/voyages/montagne/ski-la-date-d-ouverture-des-remontees-mecaniques-sera-finalement-annoncee-mi-decembre-20201130?fbclid=IwAR3e5WExonHS_mIV8_txuVGW9vrOZxXOAMZGuxD6PMkrEgA_Cz5feem3iiw

Looks like a decision on 11th December may be forthcoming?
snow report
@KenX, given that several Swiss resorts are already open and more opening this weekend, the title isn’t really accurate.

Are any Austrian resorts open/opening this weekend? And Dolomites looks like it’s getting plastered. All staying shut?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 1-12-20 12:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
davidof wrote:
2waterford wrote:
@tatmanstours,

Just wondering how do the locals feel about tourists coming

Not that enthusiastic.

That's not just during pandemic though is it? many destinations have their own "descriptor" for tourists however friendly it may be referred to.
snow conditions
Quote:

That's not just during pandemic though is it? many destinations have their own "descriptor" for tourists however friendly it may be referred to.

I think in a pandemic the main headache is you don't entirely know how to handle the worst. If they would be certain that everyone is well-behaved and/or tested they'd definitely be less reluctant.
snow report
ski3 wrote:

"Grockles" for example. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@BobinCH, likely opening date for Salzburg ski areas is 18th December, but to be confirmed. Of course not due to lack of snow.
snow report
@2waterford, there are already some tourists here of course. Day trippers and people from neighbouring countries who have holiday accommodation here visit at weekends. OK so there's no skiing and no restaurants at the moment, but there is hiking, some ski touring and supermarkets. Tourists who spend money here and stick to the rules will be welcomed. They're an essential part of the local economy. I think not allowing restaurants to reopen will be something of a deterrent to mass tourism.
snow report
I'm dying to spend some money and follow the rules!
snow report
Just reported on Der Standard ahead of the Austrian government announcement tomorrow. Shops and schools can reopen on 7th December but hotels and restaurants will remain closed until January. Ski areas can open with the agreed safety measures. There will be a government rescue package for hotels and restaurants.

So basically locals and day trippers can ski, bringing their butties and thermos flasks but no ski holidays.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
ski3 wrote:

"Grockles" for example. Madeye-Smiley

Yes, I'm a "Grockle" in north Devon and then an "Emmit" after some investigative local negotiations Very Happy in North Cornwall.

Still, better let the thread get back on track.
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
Just reported on Der Standard ahead of the Austrian government announcement tomorrow. Shops and schools can reopen on 7th December but hotels and restaurants will remain closed until January. Ski areas can open with the agreed safety measures. There will be a government rescue package for hotels and restaurants.

So basically locals and day trippers can ski, bringing their butties and thermos flasks but no ski holidays.

Cool Smile Only problem is, I'm officially not allowed to go out of country (in fact out of municipality) for now, except for business. So it will be business trip to Nassfeld for me... need to remember to take my camera with me and make 5 photos to prove it's for business Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@2waterford, a
Quote:

@tatmanstours,

I am sure not everyone will welcome tourists with open arms

To be honest we’ve had very little contact with “the locals” of late (all pubs etc. obviously being closed). However the likelihood is that most of them will want the lifts to open so that they can go skiing and, in many cases, earn a few shekels from the few tourists who come. I know a few pub and restaurant owners, who are totally brassed off with the restrictions (not least because they’ve already had the virus) and just want everything to open, subject of course to any essential safety measures.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@2waterford, a
Quote:

@tatmanstours,

I am sure not everyone will welcome tourists with open arms

To be honest we’ve had very little contact with “the locals” of late (all pubs etc. obviously being closed). However the likelihood is that most of them will want the lifts to open so that they can go skiing and, in many cases, earn a few shekels from the few tourists who come. I know a few pub and restaurant owners, who are totally brassed off with the restrictions (not least because they’ve already had the virus) and just want everything to open, subject of course to any essential safety measures.

Exactly this.
snow conditions
I'd have thought the story would be the same the world over in any remotely tourist or local tripper location, those that make their living from or related to tourism will want tourists back, those who don't will be the ones kicking up a fuss over being overrun, put at risk etc
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'd have thought the story would be the same the world over in any remotely tourist or local tripper location, those that make their living from or related to tourism will want tourists back, those who don't will be the ones kicking up a fuss over being overrun, put at risk etc

Exactly. Back in the spring when the first confinement here started to ease locals were up in arms that outsiders, including 2nd home owners, were unlawfully travelling here. Now they're demonstrating against government decisions to stop skiing over Christmas. 100% of the working population here though relies on tourism, especially skiing for their livelihood. Before skiing came here this was just grazing pastures and a few farms.
snow report
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/01/austria-set-to-bow-to-pressure-on-covid-risk-with-ski-holiday-ban?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, yes, we may need to tread carefully with some of the Austrian second-home owners, whose attitudes towards tourists can be parochial at the best of times.
ski holidays
Macron says he'll close French borders to skiers if countries insist on keeping their ski lifts open and has warned the Swiss government there will be consequences.

Meanwhile looking nice in Spain

http://youtube.com/v/8cYp7eugYz4
latest report
Scamper wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/01/austria-set-to-bow-to-pressure-on-covid-risk-with-ski-holiday-ban?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

All very frustratingly light on actual detail - "into January" could mean so many things
ski holidays
reported in Der Standard today

No ski vacation in the Christmas vacation
Schools and retail are ramped up, gastronomy and hotel business will remain closed for the time being - probably until January. Cable cars are still allowed to start operating

No skiing during the Christmas holidays - the government wants to announce that on Wednesday after the Council of Ministers.

Vienna - There will be no skiing holidays in Austria, not this year. The Christmas holidays will not be able to be spent on the slopes, neither by Austrians nor by foreign guests. The cable cars will start operating, but the gastronomy and hotel industry will remain closed, and the corona-related lock should extend into January. The government will announce these and other measures on Wednesday after the Council of Ministers.
latest report
Quote:

No skiing during the Christmas holidays

...except for locals Blush
snow conditions
Pastorius wrote:
Scamper wrote:

All very frustratingly light on actual detail - "into January" could mean so many things

I think they are making decisions tomorrow.
snow conditions
Fingers crossed for very early jan
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy