Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most beautiful ski map

Poster: A snowHead
Inspired by the thread started by compostcorner, what is your favorite ski map?

My favorite is the map showing the whole Portes Du Soleil. Although I might be biased given that this was the first place I skied in the Alps, I still think it is a piece of art.

But what is yours?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any of the plan-view maps in the old Good Skiing Guides - so much easier to follow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@altis,
Yes +1. perhaps not ‘beautiful’ but beautifully clear and a great way to easily compare areas.
In terms of detail I think the old GSGs are yet to be bettered. Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This thread is useless without pictures
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I could pore over piste maps for hours on end. The best are impressive works of art; the worst can make a ski area less enjoyable than it could otherwise be.

A good map should have:
- ALL pistes, plus their names or numbers
- lift capacities and types
- an attractive background which gives an idea of the terrain
- shadows to illustrate slope aspect
- clear marking of piste junctions to show exactly which pistes / lifts join up
- altitudes of resorts, peaks and other hubs
- toilets, restaurants, features such as boardercrosses

The Portes du Soleil whole area piste map gets marked down from me as it doesn't show piste names or whether chairlifts are detachable or not. Within the PdS I like the Chatel Liberte map which I think is attractive and very clear.

For an example of a good piste map for a big area, I think the 3 Valleys map is excellent. Saalbach is another favourite.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 25-11-20 11:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More North American based, but anything by James Niehues. He came out with a coffee table book recently:
https://jamesniehues.com/pages/the-man-behind-the-map
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
denfinella wrote:

The Portes du Soleil whole area piste map gets marked down from me as it doesn't show piste names or whether chairlifts are detachable or not.

How does knowing whether a chairlift is detachable change your plans?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I remember the first detachable chairlift, in Val Thorens - was new technology back then, so kept breaking down for most of the 1st season, but seemed amazing when it worked! Similar to the step-up from 1 and 2-man chairlifts to 3-man... then to 4-man! How times have changed...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@marcs44, Why did you have to go and post that.... I now have to spend a few days hovering over the Buy Now button before I inevitably click it... rolling eyes
*edit* $35 for shipping.... WAAAA ANOTHER DAY OF PREVARICATING !

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 25-11-20 11:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just something different...

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BTW, skimap.org is every ski nerd's dream site Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways, Ha, sorry about that! It's a cool book. It's more on the art side of things as it doesn't name trail/piste/lift names and details but really nice to flip through!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Red Leon wrote:

detachables are quicker, so an old-style non-detachable may be best avoided on a cold day
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
denfinella wrote:

A good map should have:
- ALL pistes, plus their names or numbers
- lift capacities and types
-

I share your interest in piste maps but can't recall ever seeing one with lift capacity shown
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DCG wrote:
Red Leon wrote:

detachables are quicker, so an old-style non-detachable may be best avoided on a cold day

They also don't knock f*** out of your ankles.
ski holidays
@DCG, lift capacity definitely shown on some, different icons for a 4 seater, 6 seater and 8 seater. Can't remember any examples, possibly some in Ski Amade and VT?

Edit: Aha, knew I'd seen them, this is from Kiroro. And it's definitely nice to know which ones have hoods Laughing
https://www.kiroro.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/e90409406c6af72f284f39fec4be932b.pdf

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-11-20 12:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
DCG wrote:
Red Leon wrote:

Neither do the old style ones if you remember to take a step forward just before contact - as long as the people on either side don't do the same
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@DCG, lift capacity definitely shown on some, different icons for a 4 seater, 6 seater and 8 seater. Can't remember any examples, possibly some in Ski Amade and VT?

Ah. I'd assumed that capacity meant x,000 ppl per hour not whether it was an 8-man etc
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
DCG wrote:
Red Leon wrote:

Ankles?? How tall are you? Puzzled
ski holidays
I fear some people may be taking a flippant remark a bit too literally wink NehNeh
snow report
I recently got the one with 268 resorts from Marmota, they also have one with 609: https://marmotamaps.com/en/ski-maps
Just trying to convince the wife to hang this on the living room Laughing

snow report
Woosh wrote:
BTW, skimap.org is every ski nerd's dream site Cool

Many thanks. My life will never be the same again.
snow conditions
latest report
@AndreSilva, Marmota maps have come a long way since 2015 and their kickstarter, still have the 609 map founder edition rolled away in tube - its a monster!
snow report
Not a piste map per se but a beautiful photo https://www.instagram.com/p/CH5pLnUl0xI/
ski holidays
extremerob wrote:
@AndreSilva, Marmota maps have come a long way since 2015 and their kickstarter, still have the 609 map founder edition rolled away in tube - its a monster!

I wanted that one but the size makes it a bit difficult when convincing the wife to hang in the living room Laughing
snow report
AndreSilva wrote:
extremerob wrote:

I wanted that one but the size makes it a bit difficult when convincing the wife to hang in the living room Laughing

Plus the cost of getting it framed makes you go - "I'll do it when I have a place to put it up!"
snow report
extremerob wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:
extremerob wrote:

Plus the cost of getting it framed makes you go - "I'll do it when I have a place to put it up!"

I've got that original one too, still love it. Not got it framed (not least because I've moved a fair bit, so being able to roll it back up in a tube is helpful at that size) but do put it up poster style on the wall - using lots of command strips to avoid wall and map damage, and sit a bit nicer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Favorite piste map? The one in my head! snowHead
latest report
The 2010 piste map of abetone is absolutely excellent.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy