Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance report: Columbus Direct

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just renewed my winter sports insurance and wanted to post my experience from making a small claim last year. When I was shopping around I've noticed that it can be hard to find reviews from people who've actually made claims, and of course, that's when the reviews matter most.

I've previously used MPI and they have been great, although I have never made a claim. But they are very straightforward and open, and if I had a complicated insurance situation in any way I'd use them again. Last year their rates went up so I started looking around and I landed on Columbus Direct. Their cheapo annual multi-trip bronze policy is less than £30 for myself and my son. I figured it was just barely better than nothing, but I did it anyway.

In the end, I did make some small claims for piste closure days and a missed bus in Tignes (an extremely annoying encounter with Altibus that I've written about here before). Columbus Direct paid out on both claims, reasonably quickly and without any difficulty, for about £300 in compensation. I wouldn't say they rolled out the red carpet for me, but they were very clear about the conditions of the policy and the paperwork they would need, and they were absolutely true to their word. It helped that I was careful in documenting everything and complying with their requirements fully.

I realize this isn't a significant amount of money, and that the more expensive insurance policies might prove their worth when the stakes are higher. But it's good enough for me for now, so I've renewed with them again this year. They say it will cover expenses and cancellations related to Covid-19, but it will not cover me if the FCDO advises against travel. That's more than fair for the price.

I just wanted to share this experience because it's not always easy to hear from people who've made claims. I know a lot of people on this forum have more complicated insurance requirements than I do, but if you're looking for an inexpensive, basic but trustworthy policy I'd suggest giving Columbus Direct a look.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@diaphon, thanks. You right that you don't often get to hear about claims experiences with insurers and get to judge them with that in mind.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy