Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plans this season re Covid

Poster: A snowHead
This is not an off-piste (or piste) question, but how are people modifying their plans in relation to Covid this coming season?
Personally, being 72 and with lung problems I am being extremely cautious. I am planning a January holiday, driving out and self-catering. I don't fancy flying or staying in a hotel.
On top of that I will avoid restaurants (indoors anyway) and am picking a resort with good off-piste but almost no enclosed lifts. (In this case the Haute Maurienne - of the 6 resorts we ski there are no cable cars and only 3 gondola lifts and two of those you can avoid easily.). I hope I will also do some Scottish skiing, again driving up and self-catering.
Plus I am going to put my name down for an April holiday in the hope I will have been immunised by then.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best wishes and good luck with your plans. I'm a year older and am desperate to go skiing but I've not got any plans yet. Just not sure what to do. Fingers crossed for a decent vaccination thingy and then hopefully can deal with the ensuing rush to the slopes!

I've not been keeping up to date with the news but wasn't there something about the French not allowing recreational skiing or something. I've tried to stop thinking about it (too depressing!) and the only reason, I'm looking at Snowheads today is because of this hacking thing causing me to change a lot of passwords!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our January Easyjet flight times have been changed, and while still being on the same days, this does mean we can move them for no charge. We are therefore going to move them back to March, and as our Airbnb is 100% refundable atm the moment, we will cancel that, and rebook nearer the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, don't forget you won't be immunised till 4 1/2 weeks after the first jab - more with the Oxford vaccine.
10 days ago I was told the Savoie region had the highest Covid rate in France and 50 people had died in Chambery hospital the previous week. Italy may be worse by now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rate per 100k in Savoie 336 as of 20th Nov, when it was well over 1000 3 weeks ago.
https://geodes.santepubliquefrance.fr/#c=indicator&i=sp_ti_tp_7j.tx_pe_gliss&s=2020-11-14-2020-11-20&selcodgeo=73&t=a01&view=map2

Even allowing for their lower level of testing per capita, that is at least a significant positive.

Meanwhile here in the UK, we are muddling through with far less impact from our lockdown 2. Be under no illusions-figures in the south east have actually gone up over the last 3 weeks, so clearly some people just can't be bothered with it anymore. If you don't believe me, just check the UK govt website for all the data that data nerds like me peruse daily.
Interesting research also from the Covid Symptom study..
https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/did-lockdown-2-0-work-heres-whats-going-on-with-covid-19-across-the-country
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowball,
Good to see you back on snowHead
Personally I'm looking at March and April as possibilities though I have a weeks time booked in Feb I don't think it will be spent skiing anywhere other than possibly Scotland.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
no jab no trip for us
have a re-arranged family wedding in Santorini late summer.
Then prob have a week on the slopes in Dec. either for xmas, or opening week. A lot depends on our annual group trip date if its early Jan or Easter.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am guessing in practice they won't get to the 70-75 age group till the end of February, which means April skiing. Still, I hope I am proved wrong.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowball, good to see you back, sadly not planning anything myself, playing it all very much by ear...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowball,

probably have nice quiet slopes if lots of people cant/wont travel.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most of the alpine regions in France have a high level at the moment, there is debate going on at the moment as to whether the resorts will open in Christmas and if so how and what rules will be in place, the big issues is the hospital spaces local units are nearly full and they don't what to add the normal winter tourist and skiing accidents to this until numbers come down, the resorts are in talks with the French governments and they have said they will make a decision in 9 days time.

the other issues are
Quarantining - currently there is a 14 day quarantine for people returning from most (all?) of Europe, this seams to be stopping most people planning to come, as I guess they can't manage that with work and school etc, I think the UK government are looking at lowering this to 5 days with the new faster tests?

insurance - After the latest lockdown when travel is technically allowed, you may be able to travel to Europe with the potential to quarantine after, but if the home office is recommending not to travel, I understand it rule out most travel insurance, which is a bit of a gamble skiing.

facilities - The skiing itself should be fairly low risk, it will be the restaurants and bars etc, so there could be issues about whats open if you get here. I think this is a lesser deal for those that are coming for skiing and are happy to be self contained, but if the locals can't work in these places then they may not be keen to take the risk of greater numbers coming.

I am basing this on the news I am see here in France but I have heard it the same for Italy around the Aosta area? For my local area like most tourist places at the moment, there is the split thoughts of some wanting it all to open for the season to keep a local businesses and work going, and others that would rather it stay shut.

I know it sounds like bad news, but hopefully there will be some answers to the above issues soon, and i am convinced if they can open the resorts will, if not it will be a hard time for locals.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like no skiing in France at Christmas

https://www.skipass.com/news/ski-noel-macron.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just heard that Flaine isn't opening til 20th January (just in time for French half term....)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The little resorts in the Haute Maurienne host mostly French families, so perhaps that makes it more likely to open? January 20th no good for me, I booked an apartment for the 9th (through booking.com so can cancel quite late). I think self-catering may run out before hotel places this year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the announcement last night, it was said that they will confirm about ski resorts in 9 days time, but they can't really see an option for opening at Christmas (any resorts) but there is a small chance I guess, Restaurants and bars will not be open till the 20th of Jan at the earliest (the 20th is the next announcement date), I cant see them opening the ski resorts with out the bar etc, but maybe they will.

from the the 15th December it looks like people can get out fir unlimited exercise, so in theory ski touring should be ok. But if hospital numbers are still high then they may look to stop adventure sports because of the risk of accidents, they did this just before the first look down. hopefuly we will know more in 9 days.

I am based near Briancon and i am happy to help if people have questions about these area if I can help, and if touring is an option I run a free online guide book to touring around here. - https://www.ecrinscollective.com/guidebook/ski-touring
snow conditions
ecrinscollective wrote:
..............from the the 15th December it looks like people can get out fir unlimited exercise, so in theory ski touring should be ok......

Rob there's the little matter of snow at the moment, so no fear of FOMO for at least the next ten days looking at the forecast.

Our current plan, Version 2.7.1.2 is to Xmas here with the family as not much point them coming out as they will not want to tour etc

Then leave for Serre to arrive before the end of the year, and that's more to do with Brexit than anything else.

Whether Prefecture allows touring is the next big question as we could well see many inexperienced people arriving for Xmas renting kit and skinning up the piste and then injuring themselves skiing down on unpisted snow?
snow conditions
[quote="Weathercam"]
ecrinscollective wrote:

Our current plan, Version 2.7.1.2 is to Xmas here with the family as not much point them coming out as they will not want to tour etc

We are now trying to work out how we meet our families for Xmas, potentially with my wifes and my families we have about 7 households so it ain't going to work!
snow report
Haha not thought about snow, it has been very hot here, still climbing in shorts (carte pro holders can still practice their sport).
it has forecast to get colder and wetter next week but we will see.

Maybe catch up for a tour this season.
ski holidays
Do any of you guys know if the resort is making snow in serre at the moment?
snow report
@Crevasse dweller, they have been, but after yesterday's dump think they'll be quite happy.

My garden this morning

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy