Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

piste maps

Poster: A snowHead
does anyone else get exited about piste maps, i just love looking at them, even for resorts i will never go to, i love to see all those squiddly red and blue lines beside huge mountains and wondering what they would be like to ski, and when i see a long red or blue line i think that must be a lovely long run. i can ponder over a good piste map for ages, its like reading a good book, looking for mountain restaurants and seeing what might be a good view point.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
guilty.... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might like this site too Razz
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Collected piste maps wallpaper our downstairs loo...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's a little feast for you.. https://www.perso-laplagne.fr/CollectionPlansPistes.htm
Click on each to open
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, awesome Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Richard_Sideways, that sounds a great idea for use of old piste maps, may have to dig out any old ones I have and do this for my man cave (aka garage!!) will have to do online searches for resorts I have visited but do not hold the maps anymore.

hopefully there are other resorts with similar resources to La Plagne

the missus has done similar with old OS maps on recycled furniture for her "womans cave"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should we set up a "snowheads swapshop" for spare lift maps, like the kids do for their playing cards and so on?

Got: Courmayeur 2016

Want: Pas De La Casa 1998

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nbt, brilliant!!

wonder which ones would be the rarest and possibly carry a premium, a bit like lionel messi!!!!

I have several of the following

Megeve/Combloux 2015/16
kaltenbach/fugen 2016/17
3valleys 2017/18

want the following
3valleys 1991/2
Breckenridge 1992/3
espace killy 1992/3
livigno 1993/94
sauze d'oux 1993/94
3valleys years 1994 through to 2006
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nbt, Brilliant idea - I have several duplicates that I could swap for my missing ones, Ill post 'em up when I get back home..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh dear. About a month ago I chucked a big box of old piste maps, going back to the 90's. Loads of old French and Austrian ones.

Does anyone remember those 3D piste maps - plastic fold out jobs - I used to have one for 3V. How many different 3D ones were there ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good to know I'm not alone in this. My particular fetish: prior to going to a new area, I get the map and laminate it. Then I study it, so I know my way around. Its fun and pays dividends....fewer wrong turns etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scooter in Seattle, How about this for geeky : On the last evening of our family ski trips, A few of the more sad types have to draw a piste map from memory as a competition ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But have you ever tried to improve on the resort issued piste map ?

Sounds sad but I did. The Madonna di Campiglio (Italy) map was very confusing so I drew my own one for the following year.

Instead of those awlful artistic impressions, mine was proper topographical. Just like the ones on open piste map now.

Mine also had symbols for 'relatively flat' (II) I.e. start poleing for blues that should have been green runs. It also had >> for quite steep.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 19-12-18 18:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kezzy19661, You are Sheldon Cooper and ICM £5
latest report
This thread Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing and I considered myself a bit of a skiing anorak snowHead
snow report
KennyEverett wrote:
This thread Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing and I considered myself a bit of a skiing anorak snowHead

Which bit? The little pocket for maps on the left sleeve?
ski holidays
Here is one of my early older maps:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ha17XTfKb9uN3-1Sfxb01Is49oepdNF1
ski holidays
@terrygasson, you really should check with your wife before publishing details of her 'lady cave' online...

I've been known to annotate maps before, useful stuff to know where the flats are on a snowboard. Thin tipped sharpie is a must.
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, I would need an os map myself to locate her “woman’s cave” Laughing Laughing
snow report
kezzy19661 wrote:
Here is one of my early older maps:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ha17XTfKb9uN3-1Sfxb01Is49oepdNF1

Excellent, I'm going to Folgarida this year so will come in handy - more so than the official piste map I've been struggling to understand. snowHead
snow conditions
Wish I had kept all my old piste maps - love getting a pdf up on the screen and reliving runs and memories offseason.
Not so keen on the trend to interactive maps on the resort websites, nothing beats a beautifully rendered 3D view of a
resort. Zermatt/Cervinia is a favourite - take a look at https://www.piste-maps.co.uk for a large collection of maps
snow conditions
Also guilty of map addiction, I always keep one from each resort ive been to stored in a box in the attic. One day I intend to wallpaper a room with them. Funnily Mrs Seahoob dosn't agree with this for some reason?
......goes off to attic to count maps. Very Happy
ski holidays
............back from attic where I found 37 piste maps and caught frostbite.
That is 37 resorts I have skied in for a day or more.......I now realise where all my money went!
snow conditions
My family rolled their eyes when I told them about this thread.
A different map fix I can highly recommend is the bergfex Touren app
The Austrian map o/S equivalent has all pistes marked on it, with slightly different gradings to the piste maps, so you can study in detail some of those reds that should be blacks etc. You can also waste hours of your life like I do, working out how they can connect ski areas, esp the smaller ones to give us all new fab places to ski.

Lastly it doesn’t need to be a bloke thing but has any female even read this thread??

Happy Christmas all
snow report
@HugoC, yes, I am female, I have read the thread, and I love ALL types of maps...

One of my pre-holiday ‘musts’ when I go somewhere new is to buy a Wipeout goggle wipe piste map of the area - not always as up to date as they could be, but a useful and lovely keepsake. When I’m too frail to ski (!) I plan to sew them all together into one giant map Very Happy

On holiday, I mark up a copy of the paper piste map rating the restaurant stops (usually just a note of what was I ate, as it seems my belly has a longer and better memory than my brain), and I make a list of the pistes skied that day and their conditions. This one tends to gets a bit tatty, so I take a couple of unmarked/pristine piste maps home too... and wallpapering the loo with them sounds like a great idea!
snow report
my friends are not in to skiing holidays, so i generally go on my own, if i"m in a catered chalet then i have company and everythings ok, but on the times i go to a hotel there are a few lonely nights, on one occassion i found a bar, got meself an extra large beer, and looked at a skiing map of austria, so i tried linking up as many resorts as possible, its amazing that on paper how many austrian resorts you can link,from linking ischgl to st anton in the west and just going eastwards towards salzburg, as you can imagine i"m great fun at parties
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, I confess, I too have a piste map fetish. I will spend hours gazing at
Quote:
all those squiddly red and blue lines beside huge mountains,

this is especially useful before visiting a new resort.

The best site I have found is https://skimap.org. It has just about every North American resort and lots of European resorts. It also has older piste maps so you can see how resorts grow and change.
latest report
I tend to spend a lot of time looking at a piste map of a fourth coming trip and searching out the runs on YouTube. I find this is really helpful when I actually get to the resort coz most of the time I know where I'm going.
ski holidays
FrequentFaller wrote:
I tend to spend a lot of time looking at a piste map of a fourth coming trip and searching out the runs on YouTube. I find this is really helpful when I actually get to the resort coz most of the time I know where I'm going.

Why only the fourth trip? Smile
latest report
Agreed, I can fritter away hours of my life looking at them. If you’re thinking of going to the Dolomites and you haven’t downloaded their 3D map then I urge you to do so. An excellent planning too and can spend hours looking at it.
And as your trip gets closer down forget to look at least 3 weather reports to try and work out what what’s likely to happen
ski holidays
Guilty too.
Maps are ace.
I tend to be searching for holidays first, find potential destinations according to what meets my budget, then research the piste maps - always look for highest lift elevation (some kind of re-assurance), then where are the trees areas for bad weather.
Most important is lifts - i.e. how many drag lifts are there (one is too many Embarassed ). Will discount going to a resort on this fact, grew up with them in Scotland, do not want drag lifts on holiday.
Then what area of resort does the local area skipass cover.
Are there enough red and black runs, are there too few blue runs?
After that will be looking at resort reviews.
After that it's on to youtube for some actual footage of area.

Exhausting I tell you. Very Happy
snow conditions
openskimap.com
snow conditions
Quote:

Most important is lifts - i.e. how many drag lifts are there (one is too many Embarassed ). Will discount going to a resort on this fact, grew up with them in Scotland, do not want drag lifts on holiday.

I am curious as to why. Is it because you are on your own?
snow conditions
I can recommend setting them as the desktop on your computer at work - looks like you're working, when actually you're planning and imagining all the fun you'll have when you get there or reminiscing about past trips...
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I am curious as to why. Is it because you are on your own?

Nothing to do with skiing alone, just at nearly 50 I ski for a week a year and my fitness is ok but rests are good, if I'm paying a good whack for a ski trip after long runs I really appreciate a rest via a chair or gondola back up, that's all. Drag lift is not a problem just prefer a seat! Love those high speed detachable chairs - relax and enjoy the view, find myself almost nodding off on some of them, so comfy! When I ski at home in Scotland it's 95% drag lifts. Little Angel

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 23-01-19 14:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@boredsurfin, Brilliant link. Thank you for sharing it. Looking at the very first one I see the runs are graded red, yellow, green and blue as the easist. When did the green, blue, red, black system come into being?
latest report
@boredsurfin, Brilliant link. Thank you for sharing it. Looking at the very first one I see the runs are graded red, yellow, green and blue as the easist. When did the green, blue, red, black system come into being?
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
FrequentFaller wrote:

Why only the fourth trip? Smile

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy