Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute Route

Poster: A snowHead
New video from Faction with Sam Anthamatten leading a couple of Verbier based pros and the Faction Marketing manager on the Haute Route, with some spicy side peaks thrown in.

http://youtube.com/v/GPi_JbWC5Qs
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent video. Given that it connects the two areas I ski in the most I would love to do that. Unfortunately I think it is beyond my ability at present and, given that I am 60, it is likely to remain so. Nevertheless one can dream.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drone footage has transformed these films in recent years. Fantastic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnMo wrote:
Excellent video. Given that it connects the two areas I ski in the most I would love to do that. Unfortunately I think it is beyond my ability at present and, given that I am 60, it is likely to remain so. Nevertheless one can dream.

If you have decent stamina, some ski touring experience, and can ski confidently in variable snow (hard and icy in the morning, slushy at end of day) it should be feasible. The up is much more challenging than the down - which is relatively short and usually well tracked in season. It’s approx 1000m of up per day over 4 -5 hours.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MHskier wrote:
Drone footage has transformed these films in recent years. Fantastic.

Agree the drone footage is superb! We are doing it in April in the opposite direction so need to get practicing with the Mavic Air!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great video - only thing that I didn't like was that it was only 16 minutes long!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Strong choice of Lange Freetours and Cast for running around above 3000m on a multi day tour.

Really nicely shot. Quality of Faction's movies recently has been v. high.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What were those bindings where the toe piece was swapped out @ 11:40. CAST?

Shower thought : Is wiping your bum with banana peel really that effective?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
What were those bindings where the toe piece was swapped out @ 11:40. CAST?

Shower thought : Is wiping your bum with banana peel really that effective?

Yep Cast - they were one of the sponsors
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks

First thought was heavy but I suppose the same as the old Fritschi freerides and only a bit more than shifts.

https://mcfrisk.kapsi.fi/skiing/posts/CAST_Freetour_touring_binding_review.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, Yes. That's 3kg a foot in boot and bindings before you even consider skis. Punchy.

I cannot comment on the banana peel thing. Guess it's better than the map.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gorilla wrote:
Strong choice of Lange Freetours and Cast for running around above 3000m on a multi day tour.

Really nicely shot. Quality of Faction's movies recently has been v. high.

Anna was on shifts with Dalbello Lupos,

Yann was on casts as well with Dalbello Carbons

Elizabeth was on MTN pure bindings and Fischer Ranger boots

So no one was really on a pure touring set-up.

I was actually wondering after watching what is better shifts or casts (I understand the casts are just 100g more now)there seems to be a lot of talk of shifts on snowheads not so much on casts - is it just access and availability to them? The casts have a big roster of pro athletes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I was actually wondering after watching what is better shifts or casts (I understand the casts are just 100g more now)there seems to be a lot of talk of shifts on snowheads not so much on casts - is it just access and availability to them? The casts have a big roster of pro athletes.

Hard to get in Europe. I could really see the advantage of shifts as they combined the functionality of a pin binding with the release characteristics of an alpine binding. That made a lot of sense. Cast is heavier and I don't need to be on P15s or P18s as I am just not a good enough skier to justify the additional cost or weight. I ski slowly and don't jump off things. Well, not exactly slowly but a lot slower than anyone sponsored by Faction.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes for mere mortals I can't see the big advantage of CAST bindings over shifts. For those in the know - which way round does the banana skin go anyway?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

If you have decent stamina, some ski touring experience, and can ski confidently in variable snow (hard and icy in the morning, slushy at end of day) it should be feasible. The up is much more challenging than the down - which is relatively short and usually well tracked in season. It’s approx 1000m of up per day over 4 -5 hours.

Thanks for the reply. That is encouraging. I am pretty fit (probably very fit for my age). My stamina is also good. I have not done multi day ski tours (but intend to) but I do multi day (usually 4-5 consecutive days) cycle rides in the summer doing up to 100 miles per day and climbing over 5,000 feet per day. I have only been ski touring for 6 years but do several days each year. It definitely is my favourite part of skiing. I can get round all ski terrain I have come across - although I would probably lose points for style in some of the trickier areas.

2021 is not going to be the year I do it but I want to keep Zermatt-Verbier on my target list. Thanks for the encouragement.
snow report
@JohnMo,

Sounds like you would be fit enough. I looked at doing it this year but COVID killed that. There look to be many variations and the guide advised us to start midweek to be out of sync with the crowds while skiing and at the huts.

It would be great to have a snowheads "Haute Route" bash.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 25-11-20 19:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
extremerob wrote:
Great video - only thing that I didn't like was that it was only 16 minutes long!

Loads more on YouTube ...

http://youtube.com/v/rBGVgWquVZc

http://youtube.com/v/C5fw0P_0XQM

http://youtube.com/v/pU-LiDvNP-Y

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 25-11-20 19:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That is encouraging. I am pretty fit (probably very fit for my age). My stamina is also good. I have not done multi day ski tours (but intend to) but I do multi day (usually 4-5 consecutive days) cycle rides in the summer doing up to 100 miles per day and climbing over 5,000 feet per day. I have only been ski touring for 6 years but do several days each year. It definitely is my favourite part of skiing. I can get round all ski terrain I have come across - although I would probably lose points for style in some of the trickier areas.

2021 is not going to be the year I do it but I want to keep Zermatt-Verbier on my target list. Thanks for the encouragement.

You easily have the fitness if you can climb 5000ft in a day on a bike. IMO do it in direction Verbier to Zermatt. That way you leave the best day until last.

Good point above about avoiding the classic Cham to Zermatt Sunday so Saturday schedule if you can. When I booked the huts the Vignettes hut was already full for the Friday night on one of the April weeks

We are doing Weds 28th April to Saturday 1st May - 2 groups guided, one self-guided. Let’s hope COVID and the weather play ball!
snow report
DB wrote:

+1!
ski holidays
I watched this yesterday just after it premiered. Would love to get in to this sort of stuff, just need try touring full stop first! On the bucket list to get to!
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
DB wrote:

+1!

Not that hard to organize. Flights to GVA, transfer bus to Argentiere(6 day)/Train to Verbier (4 day). Book guide via SH reco/Cham guides office. Book huts online. Train back from Zermatt. Main challenge is finding a similar standard group but SH probably as good as anywhere for that
snow report
Quote:
I do multi day (usually 4-5 consecutive days) cycle rides in the summer doing up to 100 miles per day and climbing over 5,000 feet per day. I have only been ski touring for 6 years but do several days each year. It definitely is my favourite part of skiing. I can get round all ski terrain I have come across - although I would probably lose points for style in some of the trickier areas.
I would say that you would manage it no bother. However, if you have not done a multi-day hut to hut tour, I'd say you couldn't go wrong with four or five days in the Silvretta area of Austria as a starter.

Great touring - but nothing too radical in terms of terrain; fantastic scenery; and lovely, comfortable huts - some with hot showers.

A fair few companies organise the tour too.
latest report
@JohnMo, I haven’t done the whole HR but I have done bits of it around Arolla (my first ever hut to hut tour). The organiser of that trip was about 67. The skiing on the vid is not representative of the classic HR. It’s mostly pretty mellow. The huts are however the most crowded I have experienced (admitted I’ve never climbed Mt Blanc at peak season...)
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
I would say that you would manage it no bother. However, if you have not done a multi-day hut to hut tour, I'd say you couldn't go wrong with four or five days in the Silvretta area of Austria as a starter.

Great touring - but nothing too radical in terms of terrain; fantastic scenery; and lovely, comfortable huts - some with hot showers.

A fair few companies organise the tour too.

Yes my first hut-to-hut ski tour was in the silvrettas, a great introduction to multi-day ski touring as the terrain and huts are not too high.
COVID allowing I'be be back there again in March 2021.

Would be good to do Piz Buin.

http://youtube.com/v/0QCXzskUae0
snow report
Arno wrote:
@JohnMo, I haven’t done the whole HR but I have done bits of it around Arolla (my first ever hut to hut tour). The organiser of that trip was about 67. The skiing on the vid is not representative of the classic HR. It’s mostly pretty mellow. The huts are however the most crowded I have experienced (admitted I’ve never climbed Mt Blanc at peak season...)

Yep the classic route is mainly mellow skiing but looks like from the vid that there are some spicy options to explore (that SE ridge of Mont Blanc de Cheilon looked pretty cool). Huts only operating at half capacity this year so should make for a more chilled experience, but need booking early as suspect it will be a popular touring season.
ski holidays
People, do not forget there are various Haute routes. Silvretta has been mentioned.
West Oberland is lovely as it is very quiet Les diablerets across to Kandersteg.
Haute route Soleil is another gem from Fiesch into Italy and across to Andermatt, the weather can be difficult however!
There are others as well.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, it's a very long time ago that I did it but the normal ski route up Mt Blanc de Cheilon is very nice. It's a great peak
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is also the Urner Haute Route - Engelberg to Andrermatt

http://youtube.com/v/4qazD6znOcg
ski holidays
Quote:

Would be good to do Piz Buin.

Piz Buin is great. Also the Weisbadener Hutte is really nice. Suggest hanging out for a couple of nights and doing the Dreilanderspitze as well if you have not already been up.
latest report
Thought I would throw this in here - Sam Anthamattan talking about his gear set-up

( he does not use a ski finder avalanche rescue - maybe Joe Axelrad should sponsor him NehNeh )

http://youtube.com/v/vdroNWzMl0I
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy