Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

if france is closed.......

Poster: A snowHead
are you able to ski in austria / switzerland instead assuming that there's some snow?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ajc2260626, there's already loads of threads running on this. Have a search. There's definitely one with Austria in the title and another with Switzerland.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
found the swiss one (was looking in the wrong area) cant find the austria one yet ....LOL
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ajc2260626, the simple answer is we don't know yet. The lift companies here are pushing to open in mid-December, but some governments are pushing for an EU-wide closure until some time in January. The leader of the province of Salzburg wants the ski areas to be open over the Christmas period, but concentrating on Austrian residents only, so no foreign tourists. There's a lot of ifs at the moment, and yes many threads on the subject. I would say that a skiing holiday is not essential travel, so probably not something you should be planning for until restrictions are lifted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@queenie pretty please, thanks for that, so really the only place currently is Switzerland. I guess we can see what happens in the next couple of weeks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006&highlight=

More general related ramblings: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153571&highlight=
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Switzerland wide open if you have the cash and some insurance coverage
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Switzerland looks like easiest way forward if you were going that route, have skied verbier and zermatt with my mates etc but this would be a family ski with 4 and 7 year old so would need quiet ski resort with ski in ski out accommodation and ideally high-ish altitude wise...... normally i would go tignes as i know it like the back of my hand and which accommodation to go for...... any recommendations ? will drive if i go so doesn't need to be near airports etc

cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajc2260626 wrote:
Switzerland looks like easiest way forward if you were going that route, have skied verbier and zermatt with my mates etc but this would be a family ski with 4 and 7 year old so would need quiet ski resort with ski in ski out accommodation and ideally high-ish altitude wise...... normally i would go tignes as i know it like the back of my hand and which accommodation to go for...... any recommendations ? will drive if i go so doesn't need to be near airports etc

cheers

Nendaz for 4Valley ski area https://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/apartment-victoria-1-1.en-gb.html appartment rental right on the slope.

The principal picture in that link has photographer's back to the home slope, so you walk out in the morning and turn right to ski down!! to the lift, then on return you get off the piste straight into your accommodation carpark. It's that convenient.

If you're driving too, then easy to go round and park at Siviez which is right in the centre of the northern section of ski domain to make it easier to ski out with children if the direct ski route there from Nendaz was not within skills.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski3, yep that would be perfect, not avail new year week but thats exactly what i would be after Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To add, image #23 on that link (bottle of wine on table) that's the piste in grass in front of you, with the lift cables just visible top right.

We've often stayed in the apartment just above car roofbox in image #1.

Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect you'll find Austria a bit strange. Its reasonably priced, chocolate box pretty and the people are generally friendly and welcoming. There is also snow as opposed to the green meadows and lakes of meltwater you've heard about because its so low. Theres also generally towns and villages full of locals at the bottom of the slopes as opposed to 1960s council estates that have to be cleared of tumbleweed every autumn.

Plus the tourists just tend to call it Austria, as opposed to Aaauussstria and call each other by their names as opposed to dahling...

All very weird.

Sorry...couldn't resist wink snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.interhome.co.uk/switzerland/valais/siviez-nendaz/

Siviez a little more "rudimentary" and less of a village but brilliantly located and could be available.

Interhome office in Nendaz have been very helpful to us when we've visited with various group members making late bookings etc. They are probably worth a call/contact to see what's what in availability.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@robboj, yep skied aaauussstria a few times kitz, saalbach, stanton, etc etc but never with the family.... would prefer austria for the reasons that you mention but as i understand it as the mo heres a two week quarantine / test on arrival from the uk where as the swiss set up has neither?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajc2260626 wrote:
@robboj, yep skied aaauussstria a few times kitz, saalbach, stanton, etc etc but never with the family.... would prefer austria for the reasons that you mention but as i understand it as the mo heres a two week quarantine / test on arrival from the uk where as the swiss set up has neither?

I'm glad to hear it and I suspect you're right that the Swiss set up is likely to be the only option. Personally I've written the Alps off this season but will be delighted to be wrong.
ski holidays
yes i am many things but not that type of person, definitely a more grounded cheap and cheerful type of guy Laughing
latest report
Interview in "Der Spiegel" with Austria's tourism minister yesterday, explaining the rationale behind Austria's intention to open its ski resorts before Christmas:
https://www.spiegel.de/reise/europa/oesterreich-tourismusministerin-das-virus-holt-man-sich-nicht-auf-der-piste-a-38f55482-d30b-44ff-b05c-ac36ebb0cd35

Austria's Minister of Tourism on the winter season
"I'm not at all afraid of being infected there"
When can the ski lifts start up again? Angela Merkel calls for the winter sports areas to be closed. Austria's Minister of Tourism, Elisabeth Köstinger, doesn't think so - the vacation in her country is safe.
An interview by Claus Hecking • November 27, 2020, 1:17 a.m.

SPIEGEL: Minister, you and your Chancellor Sebastian Kurz promised in September that there would be "skiing fun" this winter. Would you still say that despite soaring infection numbers and a new lockdown with curfews, schools and business closings?

Elisabeth Köstinger: We will do everything we can to ensure that the number of infections falls and that a winter holiday in Austria is possible. I assume that we can do this with a joint effort. Tourism is indispensable for all of Austria, especially for the rural regions. And we showed in the summer: Holidays in Austria are safe.

SPIEGEL: Chancellor Angela Merkel has doubts about that. She calls for the Europe-wide closure of all ski areas.

Köstinger: I can't get anything out of this approach. That is also not a European responsibility. I don't know on what legal basis the EU should order the closure of ski areas. Apart from that, Austria is taking all measures to enable safe holidays. You don't get the virus on the slopes, but when you party afterwards. That's why there won't be any après-ski this year.

SPIEGEL: How do you want to ensure that a skiing holiday in Austria is safe?

Köstinger: By eliminating all sources of danger. There are comprehensive concepts for the winter season that guarantee this security. Our Ministry of Health has carried out detailed cluster analyzes of previous infections. In the hotel and catering industry, the incidence of infections was very low. Most cases occur where people know each other well: in the family environment and in the leisure sector. We also have the largest free trial program for hotel and tourism employees in Europe . More than 500,000 tests have now been carried out. Before Christmas we will test the population all over Austria.

SPIEGEL: But last March, thousands of ski tourists in Austria were infected with the virus. You can't afford a second Ischgl .

Köstinger: We couldn't afford the first Ischgl either. But we all learned something new in dealing with the corona pandemic.

"The situation in gondolas is no different from that in a subway or tram."
SPIEGEL: What if the neighbor coughs in the gondola or in the bubble chair lift?

Köstinger: 85 percent of all lifts are open anyway, in the fresh air. The covers of the chairlifts are partly removed, partly they cannot be closed. And wearing mouth and nose protection is mandatory in all lifts. The situation in gondolas is no different than in a subway or tram. The operators are instructed to always ensure fresh air supply. And there is no cable car in Austria that takes longer than 15 minutes to travel. The risk of infection is low.

SPIEGEL: Images recently went through the social networks. In Austrian ski areas such as the Zillertal or Kaunertal glacier, they showed crowds of tourists crowding in front of cable car stations.

Köstinger: These pictures from the Zillertal and Kaunertal were catastrophic. We held intensive discussions with the cable car operators so that this would not happen again. The operators have comprehensive prevention concepts that they also implement. There are floor markings and disinfectant dispensers everywhere at the entry and exit points. And on the following weekend, these scenes no longer existed: because the health authorities and the police took over control on site. The cable car companies learned quickly - and so did the skiers. We trust that after nine months of the pandemic, people will have internalized the rules.

SPIEGEL: But what if some don't follow the rules?

Köstinger: Every cable car company has its Corona officer. There will be security services at critical points, and police or cable car employees will also take over supervision.

SPIEGEL: How should that work with food - in deep winter, in closed rooms?

"We don't give France any advice on when it can reopen the Louvre."
Köstinger: With 50 or more guests, every company has to present a prevention concept. These include: regular ventilation, sufficient space, strict rules at the buffet. Employees and guests must wear mouth and nose protection and guests are only allowed to take off their masks at the table.

SPIEGEL: Then they can still infect each other.
Köstinger: You can do that in other places within your group. Personal responsibility is required here. Our concept prevents the different groups from infecting each other. You know: in the summer we had an eruption on Lake Wolfgang. This cluster mainly affected young employees. It was able to be completely contained within a very short time without many visitors being infected. We carried out thousands of tests on site - and had extremely fast contact person management. That worked extremely well.

SPIEGEL: What have you prepared in case there is an outbreak in a ski resort?

Köstinger: If guests need health care, it will of course be made available to them anyway. The tourist regions have agreed on a system of "safe houses" for milder developments. That means: Special accommodations are provided in which the corona infected are accommodated. They can no longer infect each other. This is how we ensure maximum security for everyone involved. In consultation with the German health authorities, infected people can also be brought home without symptoms.

SPIEGEL: The restaurateurs have invested a lot of time and money in their new concepts. Nevertheless, they had to close in early November, in the second lockdown.

Köstinger: My heart bleeds that we had to close the catering and hotel tourism business even though they did everything to create maximum security. But we had to restrict contacts, and the exit restrictions from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. are taking a large part of its business away from the catering trade. It was important to me to compensate the companies as much as possible for the failures. We replace them up to 80 percent of their turnover. And the strict measures now open up prospects for the winter season.

SPIEGEL: But what if the season is cancelled or starts late, as the governments of Germany, France and Italy are calling for?

Köstinger : We don't give France any advice as to when it can open the Louvre again. Nor do we prescribe in Italy or Germany when cafes, restaurants or schools can reopen. Each country should make its own decision based on its infection rate. The EU Commission has now made it clear that it does not intend to regulate this across Europe.

SPIEGEL: What do you do if the number of infections does rise again in January after the lockdown is lifted?

Köstinger: It is clear that we will have to prepare for tough, difficult months, not just in Austria, but throughout Europe. We will do everything we can to ensure that the number of infections remains down - with strict hygiene concepts and more personnel.

SPIEGEL: How much tourism do you expect this winter?

Köstinger: We now expect a slump of up to 50 percent compared to normal years. That's a problem. The hotel industry in Austria has only eight percent equity base.

SPIEGEL: How do you intend to prevent companies from going bankrupt en masse?

Köstinger: We provide guarantees for loans, hourly taxes, offer fixed cost subsidies, and short-time work for employees. We have reduced the sales tax for restaurants and hotels to five percent. And we offer the companies a reimbursement of 80 percent of the turnover compared to the same period in 2019. In the holiday hotel industry, the majority of the companies will make it: with massive support from the state. How big the support has to be depends on the number of visitors.

SPIEGEL: What does it depend on how many guests come?

"The risk of getting infected in a hotel in Hamburg is no smaller or greater than in a hotel in Serfaus."

Köstinger: Almost half of the visitors come from Germany. The quarantine requirement for returnees from Austria currently applies there. The greatest risk of infection comes from acquaintances - not from the hotel industry, where people wear masks and keep their distance. The risk of getting infected in a hotel in Hamburg is no smaller or greater than in a hotel in Serfaus in Tyrol . In my opinion, it would be key here to enable the most free. That means: If you come from Austria, a negative PCR test should be sufficient and you don't have to be in quarantine for days.

SPIEGEL: Virologists would disagree: In some patients in the early stages, the tests show no infection. Do you expect the German authorities to be convinced of your argument?

Köstinger: I believe that we need to deal with the corona pandemic differently. Of course, measures such as wearing mouth and nose protection, keeping your distance and maintaining hygiene are necessary. But I believe that quick tests will be a real game changer. We use them to filter out super spreaders very quickly. You know, we are the only country in the world that regularly tests employees in the hotel and catering industry. In the summer, we were able to isolate employees who tested positive very quickly, and the virus did not spread.

SPIEGEL: Will you go skiing yourself this coming winter?

Köstinger: Definitely . I'm not at all afraid of getting infected there. Distance, mouth and nose protection and hygiene concepts ensure maximum safety; there is no après-ski. And you don't get the virus out skiing. I'm looking forward to skiing fun.
snow conditions
Come to Switzerland going by the mad cap Government policy of Covid non-existent School rules no chance skiing will be shut down. Profit before people that’s the name of the game here.
latest report
@tatmanstours,

TL:DR version?
ski holidays
@diarmuidlynch,

I am still amazed people are prepared to risk such a thing without insurance covering them. Nobody knows exactly how covid is going to affect them.
latest report
@Mr.Egg, it’s the lockdown version wink
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
@diarmuidlynch,

I am still amazed people are prepared to risk such a thing without insurance covering them. Nobody knows exactly how covid is going to affect them.

The Swiss have no coherent policy, one village or town has different rules to other. For instance where I live the Primary School and secondary school have different quarantine rules even if they are 200 metres apart
snow conditions
Quote:

@diarmuidlynch,

At least anyone arriving before 31/12 will be covered by EHIC for the duration of their stay - a final chance to reap the rewards of the scheme before we leap into the abyss.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

@diarmuidlynch,

At least anyone arriving before 31/12 will be covered by EHIC for the duration of their stay - a final chance to reap the rewards of the scheme before we leap into the abyss.

Health is only one side of it.
What if a positive test is returned before flying & then denied boarding? extra expense of having to pay for any additional accommodation, a replacement flight, extra airport parking, etc.
ski holidays
Welcome to Amity Island.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

@diarmuidlynch,

Health is only one side of it.
What if a positive test is returned before flying & then denied boarding? extra expense of having to pay for any additional accommodation, a replacement flight, extra airport parking, etc.

For sure you need nice insurance policy coming to Switzerland as a hospital bill in Switzerland would pay off the national debt of an African country, but I guess it’s the same for you guys anywhere in New Year. You should get an Irish Passport that is if your grandfather was Irish
snow report
@diarmuidlynch,
My Grandfather was Irish Skullie
snow report
@Mr.Egg, but you wouldn't apply for an EU passport Shirley? Wouldn't that be against any principles that you might possess?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@diarmuidlynch The UK travel insurance situation re Switzerland and the EU is going to be no more different to the UK than it is re North America and the rest of the world, with whom the UK has no reciprocal cost arrangements. As it was, when I travelled to the USA, I had to be prepared for $20K/a day intensive care etc costs, for which my travel insurance covered me. That now applies everywhere, post-Brexit.

@ajc2260626 So really, there are only two Covid-specific questions:

1. Can I get cover at all, given my profile?
2. How much will Covid cover elevate the cost, if I can get it?

Plus the Brexit-specific question:

3. How much will USA/RoW-style cover elevate the cost of European cover once outside the EHIC?

Personally, if I can't get covid cover then I can't travel anywhere abroad. Switzerland will be no different to anywhere else in the world. If I can get covid cover, then I can handle it costing 2x-3x what it does now, after which point it's getting prohibitively expensive.
snow report
The Staysure policy appears to cover you for medical costs with their Covid add on extension.
snow report
thunderer wrote:
The Staysure policy appears to cover you for medical costs with their Covid add on extension.

I believe it's only valid if FCO does not advise against travel to the destination. They only cover non-COVID related claims if traveling against FCO advice.
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
@Mr.Egg, but you wouldn't apply for an EU passport Shirley? Wouldn't that be against any principles that you might possess?

Nope. I have zero interest in applying for one.
snow report
There are plenty of insurers who will cover travel and medical insurance in the COVID world, you just have to look beyond the High Street and be under 60 https://www.battleface.com/?partner=179
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
@diarmuidlynch,
My Grandfather was Irish Skullie

I had to renew my irish passport recently and took an age to get , the passport office told me when I called that every Brit and their mother is applying for one hence the delay
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
There are plenty of insurers who will cover travel and medical insurance in the COVID world, you just have to look beyond the High Street and be under 60 https://www.battleface.com/?partner=179

I'm 67. Bear in mind that surveys put the percentage of UK skiers over 60 at about 23% or so. Let's say 1 in 4. So we're not the insignificant minority that the comment implies. Add to that anyone under-60 with one or more 'pre-existing conditions' and the segment who can't travel because they can't currently get travel insurance is even bigger. But it's an important point, as @ajc2260626 might be prohibited from travel abroad anyway, by virtue of covid age or health travel insurance exclusions.
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:

Talk to me about their off piste skiing coverage (or lack of...). There are still pretty limited options out there, even if you're under 60 and otherwise healthy...
latest report
Even as a beneficiary I wonder really why the NHS, i.e the UK taxpayer, should be expected to pick up the tab when I rupture my ACL skiing out of control in Obergurgl.
snow report
I've just had my year travel policy renewal from Saga (don't think I had my money's worth this year!).

No covid cover.

I'll wait until I'm likely to use it before I look for something suitable.
snow conditions
Health cover (under the S1 provisions) is undoubtedly the main reason why I and Mrs TT are intending to apply for Austrian residency (but not citizenship) next year. Presumably the same applies to many others.
snow report
noggy wrote:
Even as a beneficiary I wonder really why the NHS, i.e the UK taxpayer, should be expected to pick up the tab when I rupture my ACL skiing out of control in Obergurgl.

The same reasons it picks up the tab for drunken idiots who fall in the high street and do their ACL, or for druggies who OD, or rugby players who incur spinal injuries.
Free universal healthcare for all is a central tenet of the NHS...and is flawed philosophy. It serves to encourage a lack of personal and social responsibility. But we all want and "love" the NHS, so it shall continue. I got destroyed on another forum for suggesting notional charging for primary healthcare (eg £12 for a GP appointment), or an excess charge (which could be covered by insurance) for accidents /injury. I won't repeat that here!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy