Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Concrete Gold

Poster: A snowHead
Concrete gold of the Alps

The most beautiful places in Austria's mountains are being concreted over and why politicians are often powerless to face this building boom.

In the Austrian Alps, more and more luxury properties are being built for the rich - the best locations are being built. A holiday home or a chalet is particularly popular with wealthy EU citizens.

Buying is not to live there , it is primarily about making the most profitable investment possible

https://tvthek.orf.at/profile/Am-Schauplatz/1239/Am-Schauplatz-Betongold-der-Alpen/14072091
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well at least you can't blame Britons anymore.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And I thought this was to Whitegold's return!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Concrete gold of the Alps

The most beautiful places in Austria's mountains are being concreted over and why politicians are often powerless to face this building boom.

In the Austrian Alps, more and more luxury properties are being built for the rich - the best locations are being built. A holiday home or a chalet is particularly popular with wealthy EU citizens.

Buying is not to live there , it is primarily about making the most profitable investment possible

https://tvthek.orf.at/profile/Am-Schauplatz/1239/Am-Schauplatz-Betongold-der-Alpen/14072091

No brainer to buy knowing mugs will rent. Austria is at the botttom of the pile when it comes to ownership
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Austria has a low population density and can easily double or triple its ski stations.

Plenty space for more cribs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Conservation, perhaps a rare example where the UK has led Europe.

By and large we have done a good job in the UK of protecting our best landscapes from sprawl. Across the alps by comparison landscape scale harm has been caused by 70 years of urbanisation, earth moving and of course the development of ski infrastructure.

Even the alpine national parks and protected landscapes are often developed right up to their edges and sometimes inside. I imagine the post war financial and economic pressures have just been too great to resist.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually in Salzburg, building new homes as second homes has been stopped by the state in most areas. New hotel or holiday apartment builds are also subject to very strict regulations and generally now only allowed in cases of replacement/renovation for existing buildings. Perhaps other states haven't quite got to this point yet, but I expect it will happen. Of course it's of little interest to British buyers anyway as it's very difficult for non-resident non-EU citizens to buy property in Austria.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@queenie pretty please, Having bought two in the last six months I beg to differ. Although one of those was a "Prime Residence".
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My understanding was that in Austria as a foreigner it is difficult to get a mortgage. Although I accept many luxury properties are cash purchases.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RedandWhiteFlachau, prime residence no problem at all. But second homes are less easy now. More seem to be "Ferienwohnung" with the understanding that they are occupied for a certain portion of the year. Plus I expect you already have a relationship with your Gemeinde as a property owner and provider of holiday rental accommodation so permission for you is probably just a formality. A new application for second home ownership for an unknown non-EU non-resident isn't likely to get very far.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One issue is ruining the landscape, the other issue is the towns/villages turning into ghost towns (esp in the summer).
The same thing was happening in Derbyshire 30 years ago when I rented something there. Rich people were buying second homes (mainly people from "down south") but not spending much time in them. The prices of the more atractive (3 bed plus) homes rose sharply. Locals in the village couldn't afford to buy the better homes and so sometimes more than one generation of the family were living together in a two up two down terrace. The young eventually moved away leaving the older members of the community living in the poorer/smaller buildings of a ghost town. Although it has to be said that in the alps many of the ski villages would have been no more than a few farmers had it not been for the skiing.

Interesting that one of the companies in the video was Dutch (the one with the very posh buy to rent apartments valued at around 1 Million € each).
The mayors & ex mayors who were allowing the private comapnies to build large developments for buy to rent schemes (which they made money from by selling their own private land) but then not allowing the locals to build more homes for their own children was a bit naughty.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LittleBullet, I know three people who have purchased 2nd homes/holiday homes in Europe (2 in Tyrol) who didn't need to arrange mortgages, purely an investment. Houses are used max 8 weeks a year. Reall doesn't contribute anything to the local community or economy. Unfortunately, locals in Europe are being screwed over as outside money pushes up the price of homes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I dont think it’s difficult to get a mortgage but the LTV levels tend to be low in comparison to the UK. Therefore cash required for the equity.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
Conservation, perhaps a rare example where the UK has led Europe.

By and large we have done a good job in the UK of protecting our best landscapes from sprawl. Across the alps by comparison landscape scale harm has been caused by 70 years of urbanisation, earth moving and of course the development of ski infrastructure.

Even the alpine national parks and protected landscapes are often developed right up to their edges and sometimes inside. I imagine the post war financial and economic pressures have just been too great to resist.

Deforestation:

UK = 90%
Austria = 50%
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Whitegold, Source of those stats?
snow report
MorningGory wrote:

Made up like all the rest
snow conditions
@DJL, Obvs Very Happy
latest report
DJL wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

Made up like all the rest
if he was referring to the Carboniferous period, he might have a point.
snow report
@MorningGory, unfortunately Whitegold's statistic about Austria is broadly correct. 48% of Austria is forested.

Forest area in Austria
Austria has a total land area of 8.4m ha. Approximately 4.0 m ha is forested land (47.6 per cent).
snow report
@MorningGory, I’m afraid he’s correct about UK as well. England forestry cover in 2007 was 8.6% of land area, UK as a whole was 11.7%, and Scotland was 17.1%. The whole island is substantially deforested, although there have been recent improvements. Afraid I don’t have more recent figures to hand but the Forest Research website will have the answer
snow conditions
But what did it used to be? Surely deforestation implies a reduction?
ski holidays
@MorningGory, that’s a difficult question (but an interesting one!). It’s fairly well accepted that Scotland and UK are deforested; without human interference since the last glaciation it is expected to have been nearly all wooded c5,000 years ago apart from the highest areas. Not necessarily uniformly densely covered but a lot more than present. Various reasons why cover has dwindled, partly because of felling for early industry and farming practices; forest management only became a thing in 19th century and the Forestry Commission was established for national security/ strategic reasons after it was realised during WW1 we risked not having enough timber for pit props in the coal mines.

Chris Smout’s books on the subject are well worth a read if you’re interested.
snow conditions
UK is an ecocidal monster.

No trees. All big fauna exterminated. Seas are all but empty.

Pollution and ecocide exported to China factories by smug middleclass green maniacs.

It's a disaster.
ski holidays
The thread is about development not woodland cover rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Peter S, yes but they’re very much related - justified thread drift I reckon (and anyway blame WG and MG!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy