Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blizzard skis temporarily stops ski production

Poster: A snowHead
Article in German

Salient points

Austria ski Company Blizzard based in Mittersill, Austria (Salzburg area)
Last year they produced around 400,000 pair skis
Demand for skis has dropped around 25% to 300,000
Next week till 20th Dec no ski production
20th Dec til end of Feb = reduced working hours, 3 days a week.
220 Workers are affected

https://salzburg.orf.at/stories/3077202/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-11-20 8:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DB, would a more accurate headline not be "suspend" perhaps rather than "halt" ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@DB, would a more accurate headline not be "suspend" perhaps rather than "halt" ?

...or "temporarily halt" Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look if I was getting €12 a piece I might put more effort into the accuracy of my translations. wink

Halt for me does not mean permanently stop but changed the title anyway to make it clearer.
https://sentence.yourdictionary.com/halt
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What skis are they even making this time of year? Mid season releases?

Going to be an inevitable downturn in ski consumption this year if fewer people can get on snow, despite places like Pugski doing their best to punt a buy early, buy often message for their advertisers. Seems entirely sensible to scale back on replenishment/ next season's stock until you know what sell through is looking like. Or you can do a Rossi and just keep overproducing......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep there are going to be some seriously good deals for ski gear this Spring if manufacturers have/had produced based on historical sales pre-covid
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never really thought about how many skis they produce before the season starts before, are skis produced all year round? Even if there is a massive change to the COVID lockdown and travel retrictions (e.g. a vaccine that works and is administered in time) I guess they know their business for this year is well down. If the ski season is confirmed as a no goer this season they will probably halt production until next season again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AIUI the bulk of skis are made to match retailers' orders placed in spring with an amount of buffer stock to redistribute for stuff that sells through early. But then when it's gone it's gone. This can mean "hot" skis sell out early in the season.

The problem is largely of Skicos' making with their adherence to model years and new graphic technology meaning they make their stocks a perishable good.

I heard that some major retailers in the US had simply cancelled all their orders when COVID hit.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
Look if I was getting €12 a piece I might put more effort into the accuracy of my translations. wink

That made me chuckle Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
DB wrote:

That made me chuckle Happy

Come off it, that’s only available for serious respected journalists Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DJL wrote:
Come off it, that’s only available for serious respected journalists Very Happy

Now I know why DG is making such a fuss Toofy Grin

Back to the original topic - not surprised by this - I also wonder how much money is being spent in R&D and new product development for winter 21/22 or will it be a lot of carry-over from this year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
extremerob wrote:
Back to the original topic - not surprised by this - I also wonder how much money is being spent in R&D and new product development for winter 21/22 or will it be a lot of carry-over from this year.

This will have a massive implication for ski production. Instead of the 21/22 models being the same ski in a different colour it will be the same ski in the same colour. Shocked (you heard it here first).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
extremerob wrote:

This will have a massive implication for ski production. Instead of the 21/22 models being the same ski in a different colour it will be the same ski in the same colour. Shocked (you heard it here first).

Sure but that doesn't help vendors who would be able to charge full retail prices for a "new" ski and make a larger profit margin on the sale than having to discount a "new" ski as its a carry-over of last year with the same decal.

I also think its not as a simple as that - take Salomon for example over the last few years - they have introduced, the Stance line, the S-Blast line, S-Force line, Shift MNC10, Shift Boots, or take the QST ski launched in 2016, tweaked in 18/19 and reconstructed for 19/20. The question is does a manufacturer invest to launch a new product next season 21/22 or say no rush best to wait to 22/23 there will be more demand then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
extremerob wrote:

About time they dropped the stupid new graphics stuff anyway. Works great for savvy consumers but is a whole industry intent on shooting themselves in the foot.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
extremerob wrote:
Sure but that doesn't help vendors who would be able to charge full retail prices for a "new" ski and make a larger profit margin on the sale than having to discount a "new" ski as its a carry-over of last year with the same decal.

I also think its not as a simple as that - take Salomon for example over the last few years - they have introduced, the Stance line, the S-Blast line, S-Force line, Shift MNC10, Shift Boots, or take the QST ski launched in 2016, tweaked in 18/19 and reconstructed for 19/20. The question is does a manufacturer invest to launch a new product next season 21/22 or say no rush best to wait to 22/23 there will be more demand then.

Was skiing in Kaprun three weeks ago and the shops were full of equipment. Much of this years stock is probably already in the shops/shop storage.
Expect shops will lose out having to let stock go at a discount and manufacturers will have to cut back on further developments until the world gets back to normal in 22/23.
A lot will depend on if/when the ski season starts.
snow conditions
@DB, thing is, that shops didn't order usual amounts. They are fully stocked, but what you see in store are 100 pairs, while other 10.000 are in storage, and this year, they are not. I know for certain company (not small player), that their this years production is down for 70%. Most of orders come in on end of the winter, that means during first lockdown. And with things being anything but certain at that time, orders were low.
And based on current development with new winter, I'm not sure it's going to be any better next spring when orders for 2021/22 season will be coming in.
latest report
Sounds like to me if you are not desperate to have the latest model of ski then there are going to be bargains to be had in due course. Then again I have always tended to go for the purchase of ski gear as far as possible in the sales at the end of the year. Sometimes things break and you have to purchase mid season and I always think ouch.
ski holidays
jabuzzard wrote:
Sounds like to me if you are not desperate to have the latest model of ski then there are going to be bargains to be had in due course. Then again I have always tended to go for the purchase of ski gear as far as possible in the sales at the end of the year. Sometimes things break and you have to purchase mid season and I always think ouch.

Yep, I've bought 6 pairs of skis in my life (still have all but one of them)and I'm pleased to say I've never paid anything close to full price for any of them. Some bargains to be had in the spring for sure although I couldn't possibly justify any more.
snow conditions
The exception to the rule is touring gear which is supposedly being bought in record amounts.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
The exception to the rule is touring gear which is supposedly being bought in record amounts.

Suspect many people could be sat at home with spangly new touring gear (full lockdown) or many of us will be touring up the piste in rows with 1m social distancing between us.
It will make the queues on Everest look tame.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy