Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediate women's ski advice

Poster: A snowHead
I would like to get a pair of skis for my GF. Some details:

Height: 180cm
Weight: 65kg
Skill level: intermediate? (feels comfortable on all blues, tackles reds after some getting used to, was on a few blacks already)
Attitude: calm, careful
Terrain: on-piste (varying conditions), mostly in Austria and Switzerland

Skis that are on my radar currently:
Head Super Joy
Head Absolut Joy
Atomic Could 9
Atomic Vantage 77 TI W
Völkl Flair 76 Elite
Stöckli Nela 80
Stöckli Laser MX

I would like to get something that matches her abilities today (without causing too much discomfort) and will be able to grow with her during the next couple of years. Which skis do you recommend and why?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @hsg

The usual recommendation is to try a few different skis out on snow wherever you can find it. I can't comment on the skis you list other than the Absolut Joy which I tested 4 years ago at Hemel and my observations at that time were "Lives up to its name - held edges on ice and hard pack, brilliant in the soft and lumpy stuff." These could possibly be suitable for your GF but the choice of skis can be a very personal thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a somewhat cautious Intermediate, I think she should be on something reasonably forgiving - So I agree that the Head Absolute Joy would be a good choice.....but I'm a bloke and haven't skied on them (which motyl has).

A big welcome from me as well. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mrs KF has Head Pure Joys and they are very stable and forgiving, much like herself Laughing . My daughter has had a go on them and has taken to a whole different level and they have still held on well, so they could also be on the list. Head make excellent skis for piste work.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Moved off my Cloud. 9s to Super Joys - love them!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you to all of you for the valuable comments! One of them even made me laugh. Smile

My GF is also very kind and forgiving, so based on this, I tend to lean towards the Joys.

Trying them is not really an option as I would like the skis to be a Christmas present (I unfortunately started to think a bit late). Worst case, if it doesn't work out well, I will have enough time for scratching my head during the holidays. Laughing

Her last rental was a Stöckli Spirit Motion (from 2018 I think) which is a piste-oriented 121-66-126mm ski with 10-11m turn radius (AFAIK). She liked those a lot.

I narrowed down my options but added some more Joys to the list at the same time:
Head Pure Joy
Head Absolut Joy
Head Real Joy
Head Super Joy

I feel like the Absolut Joy would be the best choice for now. Would you think that it has enough potential for supporting her in the coming years on her journey towards becoming an advanced skier (if that's what she wants)?

If a Real Joy or a Super Joy would provide even more headroom for improvement, would it likely be disappointing in the beginning? The last thing I want is to create frustration/disappointment with an improper choice.

In some other forums I've read about the divisive nature of the Joys: skiers tend to either love or hate them, at least this is what they say. Do you have any opinion on this? Obviously it wouldn't be nice if she would fall in the latter category. Smile I know that the best would be to really try some of these, but ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hsg, If going at slow speeds, maybe the Absoute Joy....but it may be too lightweight for pushing on and probably doesn't have a lot of headroom.

If she can cope with the Super Joy, it is a ski she won't grow out of - It's very light, but reasonably stiff. One report says it has very accessible performance and one review says it's relatively demanding.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don’t buy a ski for her to ‘grow’ into. She may hate it and it will be your fault!
I think you are probably correct thinking about the Absoult Joy.
How many weeks a year will they be used ?

I’ve a pair of Super Joy and use them as my general go to skis.

Would’ve really liked a few runs on the Power Joy but that didn’t happen at the early season ski test Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@muppet, I tend to agree that the Absolut Joy seems to be a better fit for her attitude/skill level. On the other hand, I found at least 2 reviews (of more recent Super Joys, namely the 2019/2020 and the 2020/2021 models) where the conclusion was that they are suitable for intermediate and advanced skiers too. That's why I'm a bit confused.

I estimate that she will spend ca. 2-4 weeks on the slopes per year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The description of beginner/intermediate/advanced relate more to how one skis rather than what colour pistes one skis. Is she a confident skier (at her level)? Does she (like to) ski fast? This will create forces to which the Super will likely respond better than the Absolute. She may be ready, or she may find the Super too stiff for her enjoyment and may even lose confidence.

As her skiing improves the skis will need to change. I had to change my skis for stiffer ones within a couple of years. Old Fartbag makes the point well; it is a difficult decision and my opinions are just that. Do you have any videos?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My opinion is that she is confident at her level. Compared to the average skier on the piste, I don't think she skis fast. She likes to build her confidence up first and increase her speed after. She likes to enjoy nature, the atmosphere, the views and speed is less of a priority for her.

This is a short clip from the beginning of this year (she is the one in the front in black, with white helmet). The angle is not the best but it probably gives an idea.
http://gofile.me/5lfKt/UwubwIkVC
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the skiing looks promising but I hope that someone will come along who is better qualified who can advise. Personally, being cautious by nature and based on everything I've read about them, I'd be wary of the Super Joys at this stage while she develops her skills. Good luck and remember it's the thought that counts!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've owned two of the skis you mention. After watching the video I'd say the Cloud 9 is probably a better choice than Super Joys, (based on my experiences of the two)
Have you considered the Rossignal Famous series. (Maybe the 6 for your gf) - I have friends who think they are the dogs wotsits.

Hands up - if you are skiing for a couple of weeks each season I'd be renting - chance to change if the skis don't suit; latest models (or at least, last season's); no pressure to keep skis that aren't quite right, negating to step up because you've bought them.

I understand that it is your wish to buy her skis.
Left field alternative - Carv inserts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scamper wrote:
I've owned two of the skis you mention. After watching the video I'd say the Cloud 9 is probably a better choice than Super Joys, (based on my experiences of the two)
Have you considered the Rossignal Famous series. (Maybe the 6 for your gf) - I have friends who think they are the dogs wotsits.

Hands up - if you are skiing for a couple of weeks each season I'd be renting - chance to change if the skis don't suit; latest models (or at least, last season's); no pressure to keep skis that aren't quite right, negating to step up because you've bought them.

I understand that it is your wish to buy her skis.
Left field alternative - Carv inserts.

Yup, having watched the Video, I too would not recommend the Super Joys....but something more likely to inspire confidence, rather than remove it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought some Head Absolut Joy skis last season. The skis I purchased were shorter than the K2 superone all mountain skis they replaced. I found that my skiing was better with the Head absolut joy in faster icy conditions and when turning on soft moguls. However when we had a few days of deep powder on piste I did not find them as good as the K2 skis they replaced..I wonder if it was simply due to the fact that the k2 were all mountain and more suitable for the conditions or whether one is better off with longer skis in deep powder?

I bought my 15 yr old daughter (confident skier) the Head pure joy skis and she was very happy with them.
ski holidays
@snowymum, In softer snow, surface area is your friend - so width underfoot, plus length (as well as design ie. Front and/or Back Rocker designed for All Mountain use and possibly how stiff they are).
snow report
@Scamper, we've been renting until now, but I think it is not really worth it here. Basically after ca. 5 weeks of skiing, the investment has paid for itself. I know it's not an investment, but still. Laughing
If I also take into account our time, then buying makes even more sense (IMO). At the same time, we lose some flexibility as well.

Based on your feedback (and some more video-watching) I discarded the Super Joy.

If I would need to make the call today, I would probably go for the Absolut Joy. However, I still have 1-2 days. And I did not even ask about the length yet. Laughing
I would consider the 163cm and the 168cm variants. I think that the 163cm one could be a better fit for her. That would be around nose height (or maybe 1-2 cm below), and would probably be a bit easier to handle, with a shorter turn radius, etc. However, I am not entirely sure if the combination of "Women´s Camber" and "Allride Rocker" (as Head is referring to those features) would call for longer skis. What do you think?

BTW, I found a nice article on ski length matching: https://blisterreview.com/recommended/how-to-think-about-ski-length

I was not aware of the Rossignol Famous series, I will have a look at those too.
ski holidays
@hsg, For an Intermediate of her stats, with average aggression, I would be looking at 156 - 162. That drops to 153 - 159 for a cautious Intermediate.
snow report
There's an opposing view to just renting too.

Each rental approach brings the potential uncertainty of not knowing if it's you or the ski if you encounter difficulties.

This can be enhanced by the candidate not knowing just what to specify when renting as their experience doesn't really facilitate this.

Owning your own ski, hopefully bought with research as here, will allow the user to develop skills on that ski, target any difficult traits, and seek specific tuition within that envelope. Further it will usually develop their own thoughts and analysis as to what type they next want to buy eventually.

Your own ski as baseline comparator is also a useful reference as you develop and sample other (maybe more advanced) type as your skill set and experience improve.
snow conditions
As an alternative I'd also suggest Rossi Hero Elite All Turn, a light and all-round terrain ski (piste orientated but copes with slushy and other stuff pretty OK - I use in Scotland), fairly short radius. I'm a small-ish mature girly type, confident (?!) intermediate, best ski I've yet used.

Personally, on a small trial of the Super Joys I found them too light. I liked Cloud 11s, Cloud 9s also OK though again a bit light and soft (I can be an agressive skier though; when not, the Cloud 9 are lovely, and I've seen a lot of intermediate to advanced ladies very happy on them in Europe, a popular retnal ski.)

A very personal decison though. Maybe you ought to consider giving your GF a "voucher" (or IOU) so that she can choose her own skis herself? (Shop, online review and/or hire experience / try out?). Could be a lot of blame otherwise! (Nice as the thought is - wish that I had a BF willing to buy me £300+ skis for Xmas. Sigh...)
snow conditions
Bear in mind that many resort rental shops have a scheme where you can hire and then buy at a discount, once you've found a ski that suits you. I've always had more success finding just the right ski when doing this, compared to buying something in the UK. Both my UK purchases turned out to not really be the ideal, but once purchased, that was it. Whereas in the resort, one I tried was just hopelessly wrong for me, and another was OK. The next year the one I got on hire was perfect and I swapped it for a new one at a discount. If you tell them up-front that you're hiring with a view to buying, it's a big incentive for them to invest their time, effort and to give you good equipment.

If you're lucky, you may be in the resort when the manufacturers are having a test event. This allows you to try out a wide range of skis and buy. Again, they are incentivised to put as much effort as possible into making a sale, so you get good advice and the best equipment to try out.

In the meantime, if you want to get her an actual physical present, why not buy a ski carrier bag? This means there's something under the Christmas tree for her to unwrap. And with the bag, there's also far less chance you'll make the wrong choice.
latest report
Just an update, I made a quick decision and ordered an Absolut Joy (163cm) yesterday evening. I hope she will like it, the topsheet is definitely a good fit (as far as I can tell). Smile I understand that it is one of the least important things, but still ...

If she doesn't like it, we will find a solution. I'm pretty sure she won't blame me. Smile

The skis will get delivered sometime tomorrow. I'm super excited, probably too excited. I feel like I should start looking for another pair for myself. I'm just not sure if I deserve it. Laughing

This story wouldn't be complete without the final conclusion, so I will let you know about that.

Thank you everyone for your great support and the helpful comments, this is a very nice community indeed!
latest report
@hsg, Let us know how the Skis work out.
snow report
@hsg, Can't go wrong with the Absolutes. If she really skis 4w/y she will probably outgrow them within one season. But then again that's much cheaper than renting and fells better as well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy