Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rab Microlight

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is anyone using this jacket under a shell for resort skiing or using for touring? It’s not super super light but reports say it’s quite water resistant. Interested to hear from anyone that has the jacket.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've one and really like it.

But, bought for last season and coviddid? out of ski trip before even getting there, so incomplete view of more in depth on mountain qualities.

Bought "snug" fit with idea to use it as you indicate, fits well with quite a long tail so you don't get a gap at the base, works well under shell as it slips against and doesn't bind and get snagged.

So far just very light "camping rain" it's been out in, so not in depth. Shed it mostly and labelled as NikWax treatment on it's internal specification.

Keeps heat easily when walking, front zips up to mouth level with decent space right there to move around without binding, very soft on face area with no sharp "annoying" snags, hood front has bendable stiff core to prevent flapping, and small enough when down to stay out of the way.

It feels certainly like it'd perform as you want but I've not much to add there. Maybe this year Very Happy optimistic a snowHead

Mine bought at discount from Cotswold OD last season, plus a DoE reduction as kids are participating
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I highly doubt it for the up when touring but you could for recreational skiing use.

Probably get ripped open in short order looking like a cross between the Michellin man and a burst sofa .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have one. They're more water resistant than the Arc equivalent (which I also have - the Arc is lighter) or the PHD equivalent (mine is not current-season).

Current RAB sizing is designed to disguise fatness, although they also quote Japanese sizes which are accurate.

I use the synthetic equivalents for snowboarding - they don't feel so nice or pack so small, but are more amenable to washing than down.
The Microlight would certainly work although it may be too hot for some.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I used that item it would be -20 with wind so on a open euro glacier up high like 2600-3200m but the arms would be restrictive

A gillet works better under a shell (or over in a hurry) and is smaller to pack, better on an off quickly better everything in practise

Synthetic as Philw suggests but a SL gillet could be down for size/heat .

Anything you see punters wearing in london high st,s generally wont be great for sport its just whats trendy and fits like a sack on a sloth ie. not for sporting high level flexible activity .

Personal fit for activity is 1st otherwise its uncomfortable in the bottom draw and never a go to item .

The Arcteryx Atom LT is going to be a far more versatile item across the board in general use from ken high st to a glacier....so I would check it out if not considered .

You may want no hood on the duvet layers under a shell but whatever works or suits requires fitting time in store I find ,online can be a fitting mistake .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve got one (hoodless) size M and it fits well (5’10”, 39” chest, 32” waist). Used mostly after a winter run in U.K. or for the pub.

I have worn it for skiing under a shell in c. -15C temps but generally a bit too warm for this.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for your quick feedback. Sounds too warm then. I will take a look at the synthetic versions too.

I already have a North Face gillet.

Now only need the stores to open up again!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
While skinning up on a ski-tour or spring alpine skiing, an insulated jacket would be too warm for me - tend to use merino wool base & mid layers plus a softshell gillet for these.

Where I need high insulation (very cold day while a) alpine skiing b) ski touring descent or c) ski-touring peak break) I use primaloft mainly because of the water resistance and maintenance issues.

https://thehikingauthority.com/primaloft-insulation-vs-down-which-is-better/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bennyboy1, I have three of these. I use the hoodless one under a Mountain Equipment for skiing (on Piste) most of the season, but bought it for conditions in Canada in Jan/Feb when a normal ski jacket was just not up to the windchill. I was cold all of the time in my HH jacket with base and midlayers. I have never been cold since.

I rarely ski after March so it's fine for me, but it is definitely a warm layer under a shell.

I love them. I wear my others all of the time for walking in all seasons, they look like new even though the oldest is probably 7 years old and has done a full season every winter.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a cheap decathlon copy of the Rab down microlight and I also have a Rab microlight down gilet.

They were both warm under a shell jacket but the problem is with down you can get a bit sweaty in them as not especially breathable (which then makes you cold when you stop / sit on a chairlift).

I now use an Arcteryx Proton LT. (I have two in different colours)

Light , warm and breathable (with a degree of water resistance too).

I managed to snag one of these off sportpursuit for £ 125)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Coreloft vs Primaloft
https://norwaygeographical.com/coreloft-vs-primaloft-insulation/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good link thanks for that !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy