Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for Off Piste destination in Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
It doesn't HAVE to be Italy but I do love the food, the people, and the prices .... and I am a bit sick of Espace Killy and the Three Valleys.
I already have a Canadian powder highway trip, a family trip to Sauze, and a Cat Skiing trip to central Europe booked.
What I am looking for is an early Jan trip to a resort where three friends can put ourselves in the hands of a good instructor, who will guide us off-piste, and try to knock out some of the bad habits aquired over decades of skiing. And hopefully teach me not to ski on the backs of my bloody skis .....
We would like to keep the cost reasonable if poss.
We have done many Snoworks couses in the past but would prefer to try something different this time.
Keen on the idea of finding an instructor/guide for a week.
I did a week of quite extreme skiing in La Grave and frightened myself to death ... so no need for anything too mad ...
Absolutely no need for apres ski ... the quieter the better .. I am so old I go to bed around 8.30 when skiing!

Any suggestions/ideas would be gratefully received.
I suppose the emphasis would be on education ... I can go bananas in Canada and Cat Skiing!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FoofyNoo, If you're prepared to skin for an hour or so then you can't beat Alagna on the Monte Rosa Ski area.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@FoofyNoo, If you're prepared to skin for an hour or so then you can't beat Alagna on the Monte Rosa Ski area.

Absolutely! Thanks for the suggestion
I will always skin to ski ... as long as it's not for too long snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gressoney-la-Trinité, the next valley up from (and lift-linked to) Alagna. Masses of terrain, lots of accessible gully skiing on various runs underneath the Stafal cablecar, known by their pylon numbers.

Also linked to Champoluc, so the best placed of the three to explore more of the Monte Rosa area.

And you can heli-ski from there, drop-offs at various high points allowing you to ski all the way from >4300m down to Zermatt, then lifts back up to Cervinia and ski all the way back (15km or so, IIRC) from there to St Jacques/Champoluc (needed a taxi ride when we did it) and lifts/ski back over to Gressoney. Fabulous day, must do it again some time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@FoofyNoo, some of the Off Piste Performance weeks sound right up your street. We’ve been twice - both times the Ski Performance weeks in Chamonix - and learnt loads/ improved lots/ had huge fun. Highly skilled and experienced coaches/ instructors. Not all their weeks are Chamonix based.

https://www.offpiste.org.uk/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Gressoney-la-Trinité, the next valley up from (and lift-linked to) Alagna. Masses of terrain, lots of accessible gully skiing on various runs underneath the Stafal cablecar, known by their pylon numbers.

Also linked to Champoluc, so the best placed of the three to explore more of the Monte Rosa area.

And you can heli-ski from there, drop-offs at various high points allowing you to ski all the way from >4300m down to Zermatt, then lifts back up to Cervinia and ski all the way back (15km or so, IIRC) from there to St Jacques/Champoluc (needed a taxi ride when we did it) and lifts/ski back over to Gressoney. Fabulous day, must do it again some time.

Interesting ... thank you
You are the second person to recommend this area.
Seems sensible to go for the middle resort for ease of access to other areas ...
Any knowledge of instructors or ski schools .... or accomodation?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Inboard wrote:
@FoofyNoo, some of the Off Piste Performance weeks sound right up your street. We’ve been twice - both times the Ski Performance weeks in Chamonix - and learnt loads/ improved lots/ had huge fun. Highly skilled and experienced coaches/ instructors. Not all their weeks are Chamonix based.

https://www.offpiste.org.uk/

Checked these guys out ... look great but really wanted to stay away from France this time .. maybe in the future.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't choose Italy for off piste. there are far better options for snow North of the ridge, Verbier and St Anton offer what you desire
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's fair to say that the Monte Rosa area can suffer from high winds and variable snow as a result and that in the past couple of years at least, the northern alps have had far better snow. I've also had fantastic skiing in Verbier - the runs off the back of Mont Fort are epic. However, the quality of the terrain in the Monte Rosa is, IMHO, offers more than Verbs: proper high alpine, more similar to Chamonix or La Grave. You have more vert when you take into account the ski touring from the top of lifts above Gressoney / Alagna. Competition for good snow is also significantly lower. If you're into ski mountaineering / the spicy end of ski touring, it offers a lot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@FoofyNoo, also, GnarliBuG 2023...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Madesimo, Lombardy

http://youtube.com/v/nIe7cIFofPg

San Martino di Castrozza, Dolomites

http://youtube.com/v/6zi__yV99VI

http://youtube.com/v/GjnHUzOHGbo

Trafoi and Solda, South Tyrol

http://youtube.com/v/06mfZxCeZAM

All three have great terrain, great snow record, easily accessible off-piste, low volume of skiers going off-piste, trees for stormy days, very reasonable accommodation costs, great food
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gressoney la Trinite (not the other Gressoney which isn't linked) would get my vote too, though I have had a holiday there with no snow fallen for a very long time, I have also had holidays with brilliant powder. Andrea Enzio is a famous guide in Alagna though I think he has got a bit cautious since I first knew him.
Courmayeur might also be worth considering.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mike Pow,
Thanks, as always for your fantastic suggestions ... none of which I had heard of but all sound intriguing!
If you had one week, early Jan, which would you go for .... ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
Gressoney la Trinite (not the other Gressoney which isn't linked) would get my vote too, though I have had a holiday there with no snow fallen for a very long time, I have also had holidays with brilliant powder. Andrea Enzio is a famous guide in Alagna though I think he has got a bit cautious since I first knew him.
Courmayeur might also be worth considering.

Thanks for making the distinction between the two Gressoney's ... could have made a bad mistake with the accomodation ...
I'll check out Andrea ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FoofyNoo wrote:
@Mike Pow,
Thanks, as always for your fantastic suggestions ... none of which I had heard of but all sound intriguing!
If you had one week, early Jan, which would you go for .... ?

The $64,000 question Smile

You won't go wrong with any of the 4 areas suggested

Are you able to just book flights and then see who has the goods?

At that time of the season, getting accommodation shouldn't be a problem
snow conditions
@FoofyNoo, book flights and hedge your bets between Monte Rosa or Cham/Verbier depending on which side of the Alpine ridge gets the best snow conditions. Can recommend an excellent guide in the Aosta valley if you’re interested?
latest report
@BobinCH,
Thanks ... definitely worth a look.
If you get 5 mins to PM me details of the guide, I would be grateful...
ski holidays
Here’s his IG account. I’ll PM you his phone number. He guided my wife and I in Alagna several years back and we subsequently did Mont Blanc and the Haute Route with him. Very nice guy and goes the extra mile.

https://instagram.com/zanimountainguiding?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
snow report
Champoluc, Alagna or Gressony, great for off piste, quiet in January. Much cheaper than France. High resort.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Did you follow a storm to get the goods in Italy? Some years Italy/southern alps seems dry, other years it seems to get more fresh than the Northern alps, so storm chasing would seem the best best IMHO.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@Mike Pow, Did you follow a storm to get the goods in Italy? Some years Italy/southern alps seems dry, other years it seems to get more fresh than the Northern alps, so storm chasing would seem the best best IMHO.

Yes

Two trips to San Martino in March 2016

Second trip I took in Trafoi, Solda and Pejo 3000 as well

Madesimo we arrived in resort at 8pm to pissing rain. Turned to snow overnight. Was always snowing up high. Snow was great.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

Mike is a powder magnet. I’ve blocked several weekends over the last few seasons and never got conditions to play ball…

Hopefully this season is a good one down South!
snow conditions
@BobinCH, it can't be any worse than last season!
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

Madesimo we arrived in resort at 8pm to pissing rain. Turned to snow overnight. Was always snowing up high. Snow was great.

27 years ago I went to Madesimo as a teenager. It snowed from the day we got there till the day we left. It just kept coming and coming
ski holidays
@FoofyNoo,

You've had great suggestions already. I think Solda is a fantastic hidden gem if that appeals.
May have missed it but Courmayeur would also be good.
Final thing is that while other areas are more obvious off-piste meccas, the tree skiing around Souze d'Oulx is EXCELLENT so don't ignore the off piste when you are there.
latest report
@jedster, Courmayeur?
ski holidays
Advice from someone who has actually been there.

Courmayeur is not worth it. Pisted slopes small area in REAL kilometers and vertical. The tree runs into the valley opposite Mt Blanc are nice, but not really worth booking a stay in Courmayeur. The scenery is spectacular though.

Solda is is really really small. Again, spectacular scenery.

The 2 best ones are:
1) Gressoney. The offpiste terrain is just spectacular. You just need to wait until end november, mid december to see if the base layer of snow is OK. Once in 10-12 years they have a "dry" year, like last season. The pisted slopes are fine because they are 100% covered with a VERY high capacity artificial snow system. But that's not your reason for going there
2) Madesimo. Less known under offpiste fanatics that MonteRosa, a bit less terrain, but also LOTS less competition for that nice virgin slope of DEEEEP snow. The slopes both sides of Groppera are fantastics

Famous Malfatta between Gressoney and Alagna

http://youtube.com/v/GOIlRRiHN-w

Madesimo

http://youtube.com/v/98eLAeUqpoU

http://youtube.com/v/2d5471BnGVM

http://youtube.com/v/czC79bbqsd0
snow conditions
@FoofyNoo, as has been said, the Monta Rosa in my view has access to some of the best off piste in the Alps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice film of Malfatta, though it is actually the other side of Alagna from Gressoney, not between them. A bit down the ridge from the even hairier Punte Vittoria. Madesimo I have never been to but Canaloni looks worth skiing. Lots of runs in Italy called canalone and they are usually interesting.
ski holidays
I have twice been on long weekends to Italy with plans to ski off piste, Alagna and Madesimo, both times the there was no fresh snow and blue skies. On both trips after one day we jumped into the car, drove to Switzerland, clear sky on the Italian side and dumpling on the Swiss side, to be rewarded with 3 days of deep powder. But I have also had great trips to Monterosa and Madesimo.
My point is if you want to ski fresh snow - stay flexible.
Warning- Italian hire cars rarely have snow tires and came with broken chains Eh oh!
snow report
Onnem wrote:

Courmayeur is not worth it. Pisted slopes small area in REAL kilometers and vertical. The tree runs into the valley opposite Mt Blanc are nice, but not really worth booking a stay in Courmayeur. The scenery is spectacular though.

But what about the Glacier de Toule off the Punta Hellbronner? One of the best off piste lifts in the Alps with 2000m descents both back down to Italy and across into the Vallée Noir down to Chamonix.

http://youtube.com/v/HKm_jgs61gU
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Onnem wrote:

But what about the Glacier de Toule off the Punta Hellbronner? One of the best off piste lifts in the Alps with 2000m descents both back down to Italy and across into the Vallée Noir down to Chamonix.

http://youtube.com/v/HKm_jgs61gU

Exactly! That's what I was talking about.
snow report
@Onnem,

Quote:

Small piste map but there is a massive amount of off piste terrain and its quiet. The acreage of 1300m vertical descents off the back of the Schontauspitze is HUGE and you wont have to fight for turns.
Big ski areas that are well known off piste meccas are seldom the percentage option in my experience.
snow report
jedster wrote:
@Onnem,

Quote:

Small piste map but there is a massive amount of off piste terrain and its quiet. The acreage of 1300m vertical descents off the back of the Schontauspitze is HUGE and you wont have to fight for turns.
Big ski areas that are well known off piste meccas are seldom the percentage option in my experience.

100%

And Trafoi around the corner for even less competition (see vid above)
latest report
Thank you so much everyone for your fabulous suggestions!

I think many of these will be explored over the next few years.

This time I have decided to go to Gressoney-La-Trinite and get guiding from Società delle Guide Alpine di Gressoney

Can't wait!

All I have to do now is pray for snow!
ski holidays
FoofyNoo wrote:
Thank you so much everyone for your fabulous suggestions!

I think many of these will be explored over the next few years.

This time I have decided to go to Gressoney-La-Trinite and get guiding from Società delle Guide Alpine di Gressoney

Can't wait!

All I have to do now is pray for snow!

Enjoy, and report back please
snow report
@FoofyNoo, yep, would love to hear about this.
latest report
I've made 2 trips to Gressoney over the years. We've had some great skiing on the Monte Rosa through all of the valleys on the Italian side. We did an overnight in Zermatt once with the help of a heli lift to the Col di Lys and a great run down to Zermatt. And then skied back over into the Champoluc valley through the Zermatt lift system.
Also did a Monte Rosa circuit, again with a heli lift to get to the north facing slopes above Macugnaga and then on to Saas Almagell on skis. One day of great powder and sun in Saas Fee and then by taxi to Zermatt. Downside was that the wind came up the next day so we got in one early heli run in great snow and sunshine above the Hotel Trift, but all the lifts over to Italy (even the pomas) were shut down. Long ride back to Gressoney. Hope you get good snow and weather. Enjoy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy