Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shift binding, Din 10 or 13?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there. I need some of your knowledge geniuses of the ski universe...I want to get a Shift hoping to get into touring while being able to do resort as well (bla bla bla you know the deal)

My question is, is the shift-10 din enough for me?

I got a very good deal with the 10 Din Shift? I am 6'1 (1.84 cm) and about 175 lbs (79 Kg)
By the simple nature of my request here you might infer that I am now a shredder by any means. I never skied anything more than 9 and I think it was a good setting for to me.

I can do like 180s and jump comfortable in mediums park jumps (only grabs and things like that) I like of-piste terrain and try a few small cliffs here and there. My goal for next season is to land a backflip (yes that is my stupid goal). I like to go fast in bounds, and I can say I am very decent carver (is that a word ? carver?)

Another way to put it is: when exactly do you start to need +10 Din setting. And who the Be Nice please! needs 18? (Candide I guess).

Thanks so much for your knowledge Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm slightly lighter than you and 3 inches shorter. When using my powder and all mountian skis anything below 9 DIN for offpiste tends to lead to quite a few pre-releases on landings or hitting dips in heavy snow (with Guardisn/Tracker bindings). I often have them set at 9.5 for security if the terrain is steep. Unless you are regularly popping off a ski on your landings I would say that the 10 would be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Charlieehr, would think the 10’s are fine set on 8 or 9. I’m a similar size to you and have never had problems on my (4-13) Shifts set on 8. @Spyderjon has tested most of these bindings so hopefully he’ll comment
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As well as weight, height and skiing style, boot sole length is an important part of DIN calculation, so not enough info in the OP for anyone to comment on correct DIN setting for you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks everyone . Sole lenght is at 315 mm @Tubaski,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Charlieehr, easy answer; what do you set your current bindings at?
The Shifts will be DIN certified, so you should be able to carry those settings over....
We should meet up some day once Covid and snow allows!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I assume you’d want to use the bindings for a few years, so if you are towards the end of the range, you might want to consider whether you will need to go up or down in the future because you have e.g. got a bit older (I think advice is to adjust down at 50) or put on/lost a few pounds. Have a look on the chart and see where such adjustments would put you, whether that is still in the range available and whether or not that is much of a consideration for you. I waited for the 4-10 version to be released because I use DIN 5.5, and while the 6-13 will go a tad below 6, it doesn’t give me any leeway if I need to go lower.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Charlieehr, of my reading of the din chart is correct, and assuming you are under 50 you should be at DIN 7 (max 8.5 if you are particularly fast / aggressive). If you are over 50 then it would be 6 (max 7). Please consult a qualified ski tech for confirmation though!
So it sounds like you may be running them too high.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tubaski wrote:
......So it sounds like you may be running them too high.

Nope.

@Charlieehr, assuming U50 then 315mm/184cm/79kg = 8.5 din for a Type III skier or 10 din for a Type III+. So your 9 setting is good for me.

I would've sold you the 13's (at no extra cost) but the 10 will be ok but as Scarlet says, the 13 would give you a bit more jiggle room.

The set-up on the Shifts is critical (the instructions aren't correct and neither is the Salomon tech manual rolling eyes).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I would've sold you the 13's (at no extra cost) but the 10 will be ok

Thanks a lot everyone. Yes that was my issue, I got a better deal $ with the 10s so I was like 'Do I need those extra 3'

Quote:

We should meet up some day once Covid and snow allows!

100% Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I really don't get this. I ski quite OK (well actually I'm the best skier on the hill), ski all kinds of terrain, from ice to steeps & deeps (Shane McConkey woulda been jealous)... I set my bindings to 7 and never ever have had a pre release ( at least not on marker bindings).
What am I doing wrong?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steilhang, saying you ski on 7 means nothing unless you quote the five criteria used to determine that setting. In the OP's case it's all down to his skier type and he's definitely type III and will probably be a type III+ on occasions. These are levels were a pre-release is to be avoided. The issue for anyone skiing at these levels is that when just 'pootling' the settings are going to be excessive.

If the OP was a pretty natty racer then I'd probably be setting his SL skis at 12 and his GS's on 14.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steilhang, how often are you jumping off things?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gorilla, never. My back dislikes it. But I don't pootle either. Anyway, I'm happy with things the way I have them. Will leave the discussion to the experts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What do you think about the stack height of the shift? is it a compromise? @spyderjon, thanks.
ski holidays
Charlieehr wrote:
What do you think about the stack height of the shift? is it a compromise? @spyderjon, thanks.

Compared to what? And the actual stack height at the toe depends upon what boot sole profle you have.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy