Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comprehensive update on 3 Valleys COVID & opening dates

Poster: A snowHead
Detailed report video from Tim Wall of www.latania.co.uk. Covering both La Tania, and the 3V.

Bottom line is that they have lots of COVID testing and protection in place; and they are ready to open as normal — Courchevel on the 5th Dec, and La Tania on the 12th Dec — subject to lifting of the lockdown:

http://youtube.com/v/IbSZLceUZjQ

www.latania.co.uk

Note that this wonderful La Tania website is chock-full of useful information; not just on La Tania, but covering the whole of the 3V.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They can’t possibly know, but hope springs eternal.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@telford_mike, +1

Think I could be a lot ruder, but as it's a Sunday Laughing

As it's currently looking the situation is very bleak indeed, before I saw this I was reading the latest French figures after KenX in Serre Che posted on our WhatsApp group that France, yesterday's new cases: 86.852

So was taking a look at https://www.ledauphine.com/sante/2020/10/07/les-cinq-chiffres-cles-de-la-covid-19-dans-votre-departement-(mise-a-jour-quotidienne) and other pages with regards the situation, bearing in mind Macron's stated target of 5,000 cases a day for him to lift the lockdown Dec 5th.

And this morning's headline from Le Dauphine is "La pandémie reste hors de contrôle"

And that's before we even talk about the lack of snow!

A barren Col du Lautaret / Galibier sector yesterday!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"As it's currently looking the situation is very bleak indeed, before I saw this I was reading the latest French figures after KenX in Serre Che posted on our WhatsApp group that France, yesterday's new cases: 86.852"

A little left field projection, would the subsequent "peak" in antibodies that can only come from infection be the "real" controlling determinant of medium time frame risk and infection occurrence?

The political sphere "think" they are taking actions that result in lowered rates of positive tests, but if it's the accumulated antibody spike that cuts off it's progress, then going into January should give "good" infection figures.

The timing may be "right" for 2021 activities early in the year.

That because they are just watching the peak infection to inform their belated policy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That 80,000+ number is obviously pretty alarming, but bear in mind that it's something of a one-off figure that shouldn't be paid too much attention in itself. France has been re-structuring the testing and reporting system and that figure includes a backlog from the past few days / weeks. Worldometers is planning to re-distribute the cases to the appropriate days once they get more details.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stevomcd, it’s a big number whatever they come up with and the prospect of opening early December surely looks doubtful.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if 80,000 is accurate and 50% are asyptomatic then at the rate of in crease most of France will have had it by Xmas, I really cant see any country still having lock down for xmas, people just wont stand for it, the only issue I see is if countries close borders to travellers. Its better to have lockdown now than on the 2nd of Jan
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't go back to the 3 Valleys if I was paid, the amount they were charging for food and drink was daylight robbery, sheer greed. 9 Euros for a can of Fanta was the ultimate rip off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Its better to have lockdown now than on the 2nd of Jan

Yes, hoping to be in VT on 2nd Jan.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
robs1 wrote:
if 80,000 is accurate and 50% are asyptomatic then at the rate of in crease most of France will have had it by Xmas

Not a chance.

The tourism sector has been warned to expect lockdown or partial lockdown to the start of February.

French public are largely favourable for a lockdown over Christmas so politically it is not currently an issue.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nevis1003 wrote:
9 Euros for a can of Fanta was the ultimate rip off.
Curious , where was that at?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimottaret, You've got to love Courchevel!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robs1 wrote:
if 80,000 is accurate and 50% are asyptomatic then at the rate of in crease most of France will have had it by Xmas, I really cant see any country still having lock down for xmas, people just wont stand for it, the only issue I see is if countries close borders to travellers. Its better to have lockdown now than on the 2nd of Jan

I think the 80,000 figure included some earlier tests not previously counted. I don't think it was the figure for one day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
9 Euros for a can of Fanta was the ultimate rip off.
Curious , where was that at?

I wouldn't get involved
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Love the positivity.

But let's see.
latest report
@Layne, rolling eyes rolling eyes good spot, I will take the 9 euro fizzy drink claim with a grain of salt Laughing
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
robs1 wrote:
if 80,000 is accurate and 50% are asyptomatic then at the rate of in crease most of France will have had it by Xmas

Not a chance.

The tourism sector has been warned to expect lockdown or partial lockdown to the start of February.

French public are largely favourable for a lockdown over Christmas so politically it is not currently an issue.

I work in the tourism sector and talk to the lift pass office, ski schools and tourist office at least twice weekly. I haven't been told this in my region of the Tarentaise and have just set up my tourist tax and lift pass accounts from 12 December.

I am not saying what you are hearing is incorrect or that February is not a possibility but this does indicate an inconsistency in advice. We have been told to prepare for 12 December opening and in fact to ensure covid protocol compliancy by that date.

Having said that, I agree that there would need to be dramatic and rapid improvement in France's covid situation for the advice to be ready to open to actually result in opening on that date.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 9-11-20 9:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

We have been told to prepare for 12 December opening and in fact to ensure covid protocol compliancy by that date.

can I ask what the source is for the 12th ? and where are you referring to? all of France, or, specific ski domains
latest report
My area is Les Arcs and the advice is only in relation to my communication with that resort. I haven't spoken to any other resort.
snow report
Dippy wrote:
@skimottaret, You've got to love Courchevel!

Love skiing in Courchevel, but you just know that those are the days you take a packed lunch. All the time people are willing to pay crazy prices they will keep on charging them.
snow report
@julietp, thanks, is the Les Arc date of the 12th the normal opening week of the season there? I ask as Meribel is the 5th and we have a course running. I haven't heard anything that it wont open but you got me worried !
snow report
Yes 12th is the normal date. You should ask them but i suspect that as much as they tell us it will open on the planned date it may be as much outside their control as it is ours. Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
There is a letter whizzing round on WhatsApp from the mayor of Val D'Isere saying they are targeting mid December for a public opening. However, can't find it on an official site.
latest report
On a tangent, anyone else watching SKi A&E? As a slightly nervous skier I am not sure I should be watching really but seems it is the closest we will get to snow for a while. Even if France does open, I am not sure we will go for Xmas this year.
snow conditions
Cheesie168 wrote:
On a tangent, anyone else watching SKi A&E? As a slightly nervous skier I am not sure I should be watching really but seems it is the closest we will get to snow for a while. Even if France does open, I am not sure we will go for Xmas this year.

There was a whole thread about it last year: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149898&highlight=
latest report
@sugarmoma666, thanks, off to have a read as I missed it.
snow report
I see posts all the time on FB from people I know well in the Serre Che tourism/hospitality and ski schools and obviously, they are being optimistic as they're trying to entice people to book!

Yesterday Serre Che TO put this up on their site and they too are hoping for mid December, however, I think "dream about your next vacation" is probably most apt Laughing

https://www.serre-chevalier.com/fr/station/infos-pratiques/mesures-covid-station

With the situation we are all living in, it seemed more than important to us to keep in touch, to reassure you, to allow you to dream about your next vacation, to get yourself a breath of fresh air. We are waiting for you and we are committed to welcoming you in all serenity in total respect for barrier gestures in order to allow you to have a successful holiday in the mountains.

But it really is all conjecture unless the number of new cases comes down substantially.

And don't get me wrong, as soon as there's a positive signal we're in the van and off whilst looking at the daily figures and monitoring French Media and WhatsApp jungle drums Toofy Grin

French Covid Cases
https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/fr
ski holidays
Same here the maire, the tourist office and lift company are all stressing that work is going on up the mountain in readiness for opening. It is, I've friends up there. L’ANMSM (Association Nationale des Maires de Stations de Montagne) are in discussions with the government so opening will be coordinated I guess. But at the end of the day nobody really knows yet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
julietp wrote:
Yes 12th is the normal date. You should ask them but i suspect that as much as they tell us it will open on the planned date it may be as much outside their control as it is ours. Fingers crossed.

Yes exactly - I believe the French lockdown is due to end at the end of November, so most resorts will aim to open on their planned December opening - but obviously that doesn't mean it will happen, and they are as much in the dark as everyone else. But they will (quite rightly) plan for the most optimistic scenario.
snow conditions
I really want to hope that we can spend Christmas as normal people with our family, and not everyone huddled in their corner. I understand that we must work together to contain the spread of the virus, but not at the cost of mental health! Everything should be within reasonable limits.
ski holidays
noticed the snow cannons are on in Courch and mottaret.
latest report
I paid 4 euros for a Twix in Courchevel about 6 years ago. Wasn't even for me!

Looking at the Web Cams they have sod all snow so I'm not sure what is going to open next week.
snow report
With the lack of current snow and the fact it's so early season, there doesn't seem to be any point in the resorts pushing to open as soon as the French lockdown finishes. Makes more logical sense to work with the government on a compromise of around mid-December, so they can be seen not to be the source of virus transmission in early December, but giving them plenty of time to get up and running for the lucrative Christmas/new year period.
latest report
@Handy Turnip, yep. There's no snow yet, which isn't so unusual, although it would be nice to encourage a little enthusiasm amongst the paying public.

But round here there's no expectation of lifts opening before xmas week. And little expectation for bars and restos opening really at all ...
snow report
russ_e wrote:
I paid 4 euros for a Twix in Courchevel about 6 years ago. Wasn't even for me!

Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy