Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Mantra binding mount position..

Poster: A snowHead
Hi y'all..

Have just taken delivery of some Mantras for the coming season (thought note RobRar in Tignes with Whitedot test means it must be here!).

(http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105073)

Got some Marker Griffon 110s thrown in but didn't get them mounted as looking at new boots at the mo.

Having looked around the web and at previous posts have not come across a thread which might answer questions about where you mount the bindings i.e. factory recommendations vs. personal preference.

So far what I've come up with is this post from elsewhere -

http://www.skis.com/Best-Mounting-Point-for-Powder-Skis/blog-1-26-2013,default,pg.html

Most manufactures’ boot center marks are not the actual center of the ski. Volkl in particular has a tendency to place their boot center marks farther back than what is ideal for most people using their skis as all mountain skis.
As a general rule the best way to have your twin tips mounted is to find the “true center” of the ski and measure back from their. The easiest way to do this is to stand one ski on its tail and the other on its tip. Measure this distance (in centimeters) between the two “recommended mounting points” and split that measurement in half. Now measure that distance forward of the manufacturers recommended mounting point. This will net you the “true center” of the ski.

Now to find your ideal mounting location:

- For rails mount “true center”. This will give your skis a lot of balance.
- For park mount 2cm back from “true center”. This give you more pop off jumps.
- For 50/50 park/all-mountain mount 4cm back from “true center”. This provides a good balance of pop in the park and stability when cruising.
- For all-mountain/powder mount 6cm back from “true center”. This will allow you to weight your tips on hard pack, yet allow you tails to sink in powder.
- For powder/big mountain mount 8cm back from “true center”. This will make it difficult to get forward on hard pack, but you will float effortlessly in powder.

Looking at the true centre vs marked boot centre suggests a huge 9cm difference (if I'm getting this right), suggesting the Volkl mark is aiming squarely at the off piste/forward rather than the all mountain/switch/play crowd.

I think (as an occasional switch rider) I probably want to go for a more forward to true centre position from the factory, maybe a +2-3cm from the factory mark.

Any thoughts on this. And if I've missed a crucial thread which addresses this then please just bump me on my way... And if I'm just getting it plain wrong by considering the Volkl as a true twinnie also feel free to point it out. Learning all the time...

cheers, m. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really wouldn't classify the Mantra as a twin tip, just because it's got a very small rise at the tail, doesn't make it anywhere near close to a twin in my books. IMHO it's very much in the all mountain category, so I'd be mounting close to where Volkl recommend or a little further forward if I was you.

If you want a ski that's for skiing in the park, I'd probably choose a different ski but that's not to say the Mantra will be absolutely abysmal in the park or skiing switch, just that others would be better.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You only want to mount at true centre if you are going to be skiing them switch loads or in the park, the only skis I skied which were mounted on true centre skied horribly to me, I would be really wary about centre mounting for occasional switch skiing. I have the women's version of the Mantra and have mounted them at the recommended mark for the Mantra and they ski nicely as an all mountain ski. They aren't a particularly playful ski anyway so i would worry it would mess up the rest of your skiing to mount them further forward., also agree with Chrisssyg, they really aren't a twin tip unless thye have changed them hugely since my Auras, they are pretty flat at the tails.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mantra's should only be mounted on the '0' line. Nuff said!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for responses. That seems to be the crux. Just wondered if anyone mounted all-mountain skis further forward for riding switch. You would mount the binding +3 from the factory mark for the all-mountain/powder mount 6cm back from the true centre (as above recomm.), or might opt for a conservative +2 with these Mantras. Absolutely wouldn't centre mount for very good reasons Toofy Grin For the park also would definitely opt for something shorter, thinner and softer in the tip. As Chrisseyg points out nothing might be abysmal in the park. But not sure these would be the choice. Madeye-Smiley

BTW 171cm 78kg DIN8-race Mantras 177cm Smile

Bout to post - thanks spyderjon for wading in.

end of. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mantra +park = oh dear rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought my son Volkl Mantra Jr Skis (158cm) and was researching the proper binding position. I've read many opinions. We are basically an all-mountain family and he has a one-ski quiver. He occasionally ventures into the parks for some jumps, but that's the exception.

Would these recommendations hold true for a 158cm Mantra Jr. ski?

- For 50/50 park/all-mountain mount 4cm back from “true center”. This provides a good balance of pop in the park and stability when cruising.
- For all-mountain/powder mount 6cm back from “true center”. This will allow you to weight your tips on hard pack, yet allow you tails to sink in powder.

The factory ski mount point on the ski is marked true center. If you flip one ski next to the other. The mount point lines match.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Captain Kaos,

1. the "new" Mantra is very different indeed from the '13 version. Probably not even deserving of the same name. Whether it's any good, I have yet to experience. It's getting "marmite" reviews.

2. How close to an adult Mantra is the junior version? Most non-race junior skis bear little resemblance other than graphics to the adult version.

So, no, that advice is both out of date and inappropriate and anyway, I think you are over thinking things. Assuming he's a teenager, when he's thinking about mounting, it's not his bindings he's thinking about...so although mounting is probably 99.99% of his attention, and those Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 4-6cms might be important...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Head venturi95s were mounted 50mm forward of recommended when I bought them 2nd hand, I occasionally ski switch but there was a huge, noticable improvement in general skiability when I moved the bindings back to recommended.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tangowaggon;

I think I'll set them 3cm back from true center based on feedback, ski length, and our family mix of ski terrain.

I couldn't imagine skiing 5 cm forward of suggested. These skis look like almost like twin tips in profile. Thanks for the feedback.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I recently mounted a set of mantra Jr's for my ten year old and decided to go with on the mark. As the binding adjustment on the bindings are in the heel piece so as he grows he'll be going to be negative soon anyway.
The mantra Jr's are pretty much symmetrical with similar amount tip and tail rise, plus I'm sure my boy will insist on taking them through the park so centre seems about right for him.
We've done a few hours at Hemel so far and he likes the feel of them, however not done any park features yet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BetterinBlack: are the marks the "]" that's on the sidewall? I ask because when I line up my son's skis back to back, these lines do not align.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can place the skis base to base and lightly clamp them roughly centre, then slide a piece of paper in from each end between them.

Mark where the paper stops as this denotes the "flat" part of ski geometry (takes out any tip and tail rocker) then get the centre between the two paper "stops" this point is more likely to be the notional ski centre.

True twins will align the above with absolute end to end centre as they are symmetric.

Any difference between absolute centre and the above, notional method, usually shows the ski's rearward geometry bias, and so classifies the ski characteristics as designed.

Presumably that's similar to how they are marked by factory.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JUST LET THIS POOR THREAD DIE! THAT'S TWICE IT'S BEEN RESURRECTED AND IT REALLY JUST WANTS TO SHUFFLE OFF THIS VIRTUAL COIL.

Inhumans.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ooops rolling eyes I didn't check the date.

Pleading cov-post weariness in defence for my inattention Very Happy
snow report
@ski3, snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Mantra's should only be mounted on the '0' line. Nuff said!

This
snow report
@CH2O, not you as well. Stop poking it. It's dead.
latest report
0 line for me - there is nothing twin tip about the mantra but they do rock!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy