Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brexit Readiness: treating UK nationals at the external Schengen borders and related issues

Poster: A snowHead
Some useful info here for Brits

As of 1 January 2021 at 00h00 Central European Time → UK nationals are treated as third country nationals

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/borders_seminar_ppp_final_public.pdf

Taking animal products, food or plants with you .. What NOT to pack in your CAR.

Rules when travelling from a non-EU country

If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey. Restricted quantities of fish or fish products are also allowed.

These rules will apply to the UK from Jan 1 January 2021 at 00h00

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm#shortcut-4
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
#brexit dividend
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK, so we can't take our own bacon with us, but at least we can have proper Corn Flakes. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brianatab wrote:
OK, so we can't take our own bacon with us, but at least we can have proper Corn Flakes. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

What about BiteSize Shredded Wheat?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can I take proper tea bags?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand wrote:
Can I take proper tea bags?

No! Didn’t you know the EUrrgh are banning tea?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Assuming the arrangements will be reciprocal, how I am I going to survive without bringing Edam back?!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, Are we due for £/Euro parity soon? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
Assuming the arrangements will be reciprocal, how I am I going to survive without bringing Edam back?!

Well, could hire a certain taxi and it would be waved through the customs ... the secret is to know which taxi to use
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most important thing in that slideshow, is that we are going to be able to collect stamps in our passport again Madeye-Smiley

I do like flicking through my passport & looking at the various stamps. Just me?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 5-11-20 7:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
will the various EU State Police be setting up hambushes for the unsuspecting tourists ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surely it will be cheaper to buy duty free in EU States rather than bring your own provisions from U.K. ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops wrote:
will the various EU State Police be setting up hambushes for the unsuspecting tourists ?

We will have to restart to handing over our papers, erm passport with a €20 note inside not to be carted off for further questioning.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, You really need to read what you post if you dont want to appear as an idiot.

"Carrying animal products, food or plants in the EU
If you are travelling in the EU you can carry meat or dairy products with you as long as they are for your own personal consumption. This also applies to plants or plant products, such as cut flowers, fruit or vegetables as long as they have been grown in an EU country and are free from pests or disease.

In this context, EU includes the 27 EU countries, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, and the UK."
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:

Cheese mule?! I reckon babybels are so sized to be swallowed whole, allowing for 'retrieval' once safely back home. Alternatively, you could smuggle quite a few full sized cheeses inside an elephant. Mad Arrow Shocked Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
did you know that Edam is the only cheese that is made backwards ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm okay. Tarriff code 9011 and 9031
snow report
I didn't real the links.

Presumably without a deal (although let's wait for the US election...) there will be both VAT and duty to pay should anyone visit Europe and return with new ski gear.
ski holidays
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-tariffs-from-1-january-2021
snow report
If UK nationals are treated as third country nationals from Jan 1st, then we are categorised same as all other 3rd country nationals, i.e. US.

Access to Schengen area is now allowed to members of EU/EEA/CH, very difficult for 3rd country nationals to gain access.

Unless something changes or there is a deal, come 1st Jan, UK citizens can't enter Schengen, right?

Please tell me I have missed something, and I am wrong!
snow conditions
@ribblevalleyred, that was the situation a few months ago during the first lockdown, Schengen was essentially closed to non-EU.

However at the end of June the EU Council added some 3rd countries to the list that are allowed to enter Schengen (based on low covid rates) - these were:

Australia
Japan
New Zealand
Rwanda
Singapore
South Korea
Thailand
Uruguay
China, including the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macao, subject to confirmation of reciprocity

The 3rd country list is reviewed every 2 weeks. The question is whether the EU will allowed UK to be added to the list. Unlikely unless the epidemiological situation changes.
However, the UK is currently listed as "allowed" to enter Schengen:

"The following categories of persons are exempt from the temporary travel restriction to the EU+ area from third countries that are not on the list agreed by the Member States:

(a) EU citizens and nationals of Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, as well as their respective family members;

(b) third-country nationals who are long-term residents under the Long-term Residence Directive, or deriving their right to reside from other EU Directives or national law, or who hold national long-term visas, as well as their respective family members.

The temporary travel restrictions should also not apply to people with an essential function or need, including

healthcare professionals, health researchers, and elderly care professionals
frontier workers
seasonal workers in agriculture
transport personnel
diplomats, staff of international organisations and people invited by international organisations whose physical presence is required for the well-functioning of these organisations, military personnel and humanitarian aid workers and civil protection personnel in the exercise of their functions
passengers in transit
passengers travelling for imperative family reasons
seafarers
persons in need of international protection or for other humanitarian reasons
third-country nationals travelling for the purpose of study
highly qualified third-country workers if their employment is necessary from an economic perspective and the work cannot be postponed or performed abroad"

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response/travel-during-coronavirus-pandemic_en#traveladviceandbordermeasures
ski holidays
I think the point (maybe wrong) that ribblevalleyred was asking was nothing to do with Covid. Purely the fact that we are/will be no longer part of the EU, and will be classed for movement, the same as any other 3rd Country National.
latest report
ribblevalleyred wrote:
If UK nationals are treated as third country nationals from Jan 1st, then we are categorised same as all other 3rd country nationals, i.e. US.

Access to Schengen area is now allowed to members of EU/EEA/CH, very difficult for 3rd country nationals to gain access.

Unless something changes or there is a deal, come 1st Jan, UK citizens can't enter Schengen, right?

Please tell me I have missed something, and I am wrong!

I have 'allowed in to Schengen area for 90 days without needing a Visa' (but can't remember where I read it !!)
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Most important thing in that slideshow, is that we are going to be able to collect stamps in our passport again Madeye-Smiley

I do like flicking through my passport & looking at the various stamps. Just me?

Isn't that going to end up being massive time waster though having to queue and get stamped vs using an e-gate?

rayscoops wrote:
Surely it will be cheaper to buy duty free in EU States rather than bring your own provisions from U.K. ?

but that won't be on food/products you consume within the EU - you'll only get the duty back on items you export - so purchasing ski equipment, electronics etc.
latest report
Quote:

Isn't that going to end up being massive time waster though having to queue and get stamped vs using an e-gate?

That depends the deal agreed and whether we'd be permitted to use e-gates

Quote:

I have 'allowed in to Schengen area for 90 days without needing a Visa.

The current rules to enter Schengen without a visa is for 90 days per 180 day rolling period. This means that if you stay for 3 months, you cannot re-enter the Schengen area again for a further 3 months (until the 180 days expire). This stops you from returning to UK to 'reset' the clock.
snow report
@BergenBergen, Presumably that only applies to the UK up until the 31st of December as we are currently not an EU member but act as if we are, from the 1st of January we will presumably cease to act like one as the transition period will be over
snow report
@rambotion, Yes but
stanton wrote:
These rules will apply to the UK from Jan 1 January 2021 at 00h00
He has secret sources he cant tell us about, apparently.
snow conditions
Quote:

Presumably without a deal (although let's wait for the US election...) there will be both VAT and duty to pay should anyone visit Europe and return with new ski gear.

I've bought in plenty of new clothes from all over the world back to UK. It's simply not an issue. Perhaps if you bring 10 brand new north face jackets in all different sizes you might raise some eyebrows. A few things clearly for personal use? Don't worry. If you are concerned just take the tags off and there is no real way to determine they are new. Border control have much more pressing concerns!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I've bought in plenty of new clothes from all over the world back to UK. It's simply not an issue. Perhaps if you bring 10 brand new north face jackets in all different sizes you might raise some eyebrows. A few things clearly for personal use? Don't worry. If you are concerned just take the tags off and there is no real way to determine they are new. Border control have much more pressing concerns!

isn't the point being you're meant to declare on arrival.

HMRC’s rules are clear: you must pay VAT on your £390-plus US purchases when you fly home, which makes those big savings a lot less appealing

If you just arrived back from a trip from the US and then customs searched you, you had a new macbook, new iphone, new pair of skis, new ski jacket etc etc and you have the receipts on your person you would then be fined - I say receipts here as that would be definitive proof of where the items were purchased. It would be advisable to remove tags as well and unseal boxes to make it look less like new if you're searched.

Exactly the same reason why you shouldn't buy a watch at geneva airport and keep the box and receipt on you as you fly back into the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu
Quote:

Allowance for other goods
You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).

If a single item’s worth more than your allowance you pay any duty or tax on its full value, not just the value above the allowance.

If you go over your allowance
You pay Customs Duty on anything you bring in above your allowance. The rate:

is 2.5% for goods worth up to £630
depends on the type of goods if they’re worth more than £630 - check by calling the VAT, Customs and Excise Helpline
You may also have to pay import VAT.

Import VAT
You may have to pay import VAT on the total value of the goods plus duty. The VAT rates are the standard UK rates.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 5-11-20 16:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@extremerob, indeed. I've declared before and just been waved through as it wasn't worth their bother
snow conditions
https://www.britishineurope.org/articles/63738-travelling-into-and-out-of-the-schengen-area
ski holidays
Border Force do, indeed, have more pressing concerns but they are perfectly happy seizing items that have been incorrectly declared (by design or mistake). They can seize the goods or make you pay duty on them.

They can also detain the goods until you provide evidence of how your purchased them...so that shiny new MacBook, you've just bought in New York but have taken out of the box, will sit in storage until you can prove that you either bought it in the UK or pay duty on it.
snow conditions
Firstly, I doubt there will be massive savings on ski gear given the exchange rate and likely future direction thereof! More importantly, we will each be able to take 20kg of fish on European jollies! Toofy Grin
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
I've bought in plenty of new clothes from all over the world back to UK. [breaking the law is] simply not an issue. ... A few things clearly for personal use? Don't worry. ...
I'm simply pointing out that we have voted to take those extra costs for importing things from the EU.

That you care little for the law isn't really relevant, although
it's incorrect to suggest that the UK border people never take action.
snow report
extremerob wrote:

If you just arrived back from a trip from the US and then customs searched you,

Ive not seen a customs officer when leaving arrivals since the mid 1980s
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, You should try Glasgow when when the KLM Amsterdam coffee shop weekender comes in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy