Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti - Suitable for my Daughter?

Poster: A snowHead
I know the best answer is: Try some and see.....but this is not going to happen, as a) We won't be skiing this season and b) I can get them hugely reduced.

I am looking for insight from anybody familiar with the skis - but in particular from any Ladies out there skiing on them.

My Daughter:

Height: 5' 7"

Weight: 9.5 Stone

Ability: Decent advanced skier

Speed: Likes to float about, but also likes to step on the gas, if necessary

Current Skis: K2 Burnin' Luv (They are full Camber, 163 to the tip and belong to Lady F)

Her History:

She learned to ski at about 4 - in fact she doesn't remember not being able to ski....But....She stopped having lessons at about 14 (she's now 28 ), though she had some great Instructors, like Simon Mc Combe in Val D'Isere. Her fundamentals are sound and she can get down nearly anything On Piste. She won't go near Off Piste and hates flat light.

She could be very good, but is not ambitious, as she is quite happy with her current skill level - which is a decent advanced skier.

What does she want from a ski?

Basically, she wants a Ski with 2 gears: She wants a ski with a narrow waist, tight Turning Radius and that is forgiving enough to allow her to take it easy and float about ie. Not one that requires constant attention at the helm, needing properly driven at all times....but....Also a ski that can be driven hard and fast, while feeling grippy, stable and without flapping at the front. While I have no doubt that the SZ 12 will give the latter, I don't know whether it is forgiving enough to provide the former.

The model I'm looking at is from 17/18, so the original construction and in a 158.

Any thoughts gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Old Fartbag, I've got the Speedzone 14 Pro, which (IIRC) is the same ski but with a race plate and a different binding. My absolute favourite ski, really versatile, the one ski I've got absolute confidence in. Easy enough to pootle around, but great in performance turns too, even cope okay in powder (I've done more off piste on them than on my 'all mountain' skis!). Hell I've even taken them through GS gates - not well, but I don't think I can blame the skis for that;) Admittedly I'm taller and heavier than your daughter (and not female), but certainly found them everything you describe. The only minor issue I had was I initially found them a bit hooky (I suspect as much my fault as the skis), but fixed that with a little tuning advice from spyderjon and they have been superb since/.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're quite a handfull. I bought the Dynastar Intense 12, women's version for my ex girlfriend who'd skied over 40 years and was very good. Once she got used to them she loved them. She had the 166.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tubaski, Thank you Sir.

One characteristic that I believe K2 and Dynastar share, is the comfortable, limousine-like ride...so I think Dynastar would be a good substitute.

She could look at the Ladies version (Intense 12), but they aren't as cheap.

I suppose the unanswerable question, is how much effort does one use to pootle about? She needs properly fitted boots, which was to happen this season and would also (greatly) help.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B wrote:
They're quite a handfull.

This is my worry...and is the Women's version more forgiving?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, one girl's handfull is another's disappointment? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, one girl's handfull is another's disappointment? Twisted Evil

I'll pretend I didn't read that. This is my Daughter we are talking about. Razz
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
Claude B wrote:

I don't think so, just the colour. But typically french she'd been skiing on ones she'd had 20 years. So it was a a big change. She found them quite tiring at first, had to drive them all the time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, could it perhaps be possible that your ex-GF was still using the techniques of 20-40 years ago? and that with current technique they'd have been more of an instant "hit"?

@Old Fartbag, I'll just get my coat shall I?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
She did have a slightly old fashioned technique. Very good skier though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Claude B wrote:

I don't think so, just the colour. But typically french she'd been skiing on ones she'd had 20 years. So it was a a big change. She found them quite tiring, had to drive them all the time.

What had she been on? The Burnin' Luvs are from 2007 and she loves them, but they are getting a bit long in the tooth now (I worry about whether the Bindings are even indemnified).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some really old Rossignol piste skis which were literally 20 years old.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

@Old Fartbag, I'll just get my coat shall I?

No need. I know what you're like. A good slap will do. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B wrote:
Some really old Rossignol piste skis which were literally 20 years old.

Thx

Were they straight skis? What length were they?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No they were carving skis, about the same length I guess mid 160s.
snow report
She's a bit shorter but heavier. Aggressive fast, strong skier. Loves moguls.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
No they were carving skis, about the same length I guess mid 160s.

Thx - so reasonably "like with like".

Going from long straight skis, to short carving skis can take a while to get used to - as can going from a long Freeride ski with a GS type turning radius, to a short, narrow ski with a Slalom type radius....especially with old school technique.
latest report
Claude B wrote:
She's a bit shorter but heavier. Aggressive fast, strong skier. Loves moguls.

She sounds much more Expert, than Advanced. I suspect she is considerably better than my Daughter.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, The Dynastar Speedzone 12 is one of the best recreational skis I've ever skied.
If your daughter skis as well as you says she does, they'll be perfect for what you say she wants to do with them...
Although, for her height I would look at the next size up 166m.
snow conditions
Not really, only the length. The old ones were pretty old technology and had become very soft through the years. She spent 5 weeks or so in Alpe d'huez every winter so they were well used.
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
@Old Fartbag, The Dynastar Speedzone 12 is one of the best recreational skis I've ever skied.
If your daughter skis as well as you says she does, they'll be perfect for what you say she wants to do with them...
Although, for her height I would look at the next size up 166m.

Brilliant, thank you. I tried to describe her ability as accurately as possible.

It is 158, or nothing - but that gives a turn radius similar to what she has at the moment.....she likes an easy life, but is capable of turning up the wick.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, I have the SZ12s, 166 length. I'm 5'9" and a smidge over 10 stone if I've done my metric to imperial maths right. I'd say I'm intermediate with a dose of advanced and I bought the skis to work on piste technique.

I'd echo @SaraJ's rating, they are great skis. I can pootle on them without any trouble, but the more effort I put in, the more I get back. I have not yet found a limit for them (though to be fair I've used them exclusively in Scandi land so I've not had a really long, wide piste to play on).

I would be erring towards the 158 if I was your daughter's size. Dynastar would put me on the 158s, and I am a little bigger; based on my experience so far, I think I would be happy on the 158s if that's what I'd bought.
snow report
@mgrolf, More encouraging feedback - So thank you for that.

As a Ski Nut, I am always looking for ways to improve, so it's just a little frustrating that Miss Fartbag isn't interested in fulfilling her potential....but on the other hand, it means she is unlikely to overtake her old man (until he really is too old).
ski holidays
Well, the deed is done - spurred on by getting them delivered before we drop out of the EU.

I probably won't find out how well they work out until 2022.

Thanks all for the feedback.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy