Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope or not - to practice between snow hols?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,
Thinking on the above - there is a dry slope close to where I live and it costs €40 a practice session (which to the best of my understanding is about 2 hours) or membership for the season is €450. It's open September to April. Practice sessions are free once you are a member.

Now - I did a couple of refresher lessons before my last trip, used my own boots and board, on the snowflex slope - which is very short, but was enough to refresh the muscle memory from my last trip 15 years previously. They have a longer dendix slope that I did not use.

I am a beginner who can negotiate most slopes (i like to think with suave and panache - but really not sure on this one). Found icy reds tough going in Finland in January but was happy to keep trying them anyway.

I'm wondering if it worth shelling out the membership fee to slide on the plastic to practice things like switch etc?

History - 6 days boarding in France about 15 years ago with 4 or 5 half day private lessons, 5 days in Finland in January 2022 (no lessons just getting myself around). 2 refresher lessons on the dryslope in between (one on 2019 prior to a cancelled trip in 2020 and another in Dec 2021 prior to heading to Finland).

I really enjoy the boarding and would like to be better at it, but am limited by family and finances as to how much I will get out of Ireland to real snow any given year. I am hopeful of a trip to france at easter with the family to reinforce what they learned in Finland while it is relatively fresh, but failing that i am definitely going to wangle one to two trips next winter, with the kids in tow.

In the mean time - yay or nay for the plastic? Is it worth the money? Opinions please.

Equally - would it be worth a family membership to give the kids a weekly practice session on skis? The cost of family membership is around the same as flights for the family to the snow!

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never met an expert standard boarder or skier from the UK who didn't put significant time in on plastic. You can't expect to learn to play piano well with one week's practice a year: you have to practice hard and regularly, or it's not going to happen. Arguably some people are happy not managing to learn to play well enough for others to enjoy... perhaps you need to decide first if you actually want to get good, or just play around on holiday. If it's the latter, then plastic isn't for you.

Boarding on plastic is harder I think (I do both) than skiing because you really have to control your one edge.... but then you need to learn to do that if you want to ride well anyway.

I was an average swimmer until I bought a season ticket, because then I had to swim every day, and that's what it took to get me sorted with that sport. So I'd buy the season pass and make sure I got value from it.... but then it's obviously an individual thing. I would say that a season ticket is cheaper than a new full-retail snowboard, and one of the two will make you a good rider, but the other won't. No prizes for guessing what most people choose... which is perhaps why they're not very good wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wot @philwig, typed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
40 euro / 450 euro?

not for me! Are they taking the wee wee?
40 euro for 2 hrs on a 100m plastic run or 40 euros for a whole day lift pass with many Km's of runs? Think our local slope is £15 for all day & last time I paid yearly price was about £80 each.
Are you sure that is not including lessons or something?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That does sound expensive. Snowtrax is only £16.50 for 2 hours or £21 including equipment hire.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all,

Yeah, Irish prices for this are significantly higher than UK, as they are for many things. The joys of a much smaller population across which to spread the costs I guess! I believe it's a not for profit enterprise too, and with the ridiculous cost of insurance for pretty much any non-pedestrian activity in Ireland I can understand the reasons. Hence having to give it a bit of thought and figure out if it will help me progress and get where I would like to be.

I think I would like to be a lot better than I am and with a family and responsibilities I won't be doing a season in the alps for many years so I guess it's the only option. I even bought a secondhand board and boots locally for small money so I could hike the local wicklow hills and get a bit of practice in if there is decent snow cover - but none so far this year worth reporting, at least not at a time when i could take a trip to try it out anyway.

There's no alternative and I'm just lucky that I live within 25 minutes of the facility rolling eyes

@philwig Very persuasive argument for giving a season ticket a go next year. If I do I will be there twice a week getting value for my money!

@Mr.Egg - if it was that price locally I would have the whole lot of us signed up for the season.

Thanks again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@philwig, hard to quantify what an "expert standard" boarder/skier would be as it may mean different things to different people and of course people have their own goals. But I respectively would disagree with your assertion. I tend to ski twice a year - for 6.5/7.5 days - about 7/7.5 hours a day. So let's say 100 hours a year. That's the equivalent of 2 hours a week. And the cost per hour even taking into account all costs is vastly different.

On top of that the terrain and conditions in the mountain offer multiple layers of challenge, which need to be conquered to reach expert level. You can only go so far on a 100m dry/fridge slope with a constant pitch/conditions.

I am not against dry slopes or fridges. And in the OP case (all be it, it seems a bit pricey for what it is) I can see the sense in it with the limited opportunity to get to the Alps and their current standard. On the flip side I'd be inclined to save up the money and have a proper blast in the mountains.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You can only go so far on a 100m dry/fridge slope with a constant pitch/conditions.

I'm with @philwig, yes it's a consistent surface -- but that's makes practise/development a little easier --- the same input will give the same result. Yes there is a limit to quite how far you can go, but 25 minutes from home means many more opportunities to practise, rather than waiting for the snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see there is a family package for 900 euro - if that covers 2x adults & 2x children, then maybe it’s not that bad if you use it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, the family package is better value, but no chance my wife will use it. I have 3 kids though, so might see if the family pass can be used for the four of us. I might even take a few lessons on skis Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think it depends on how realistic it is for you to spend lots of time there, away from the family. Most parents (mothers and fathers both) can only get a certain amount of time to themselves for hobbies or activities which are not shared. If the kids get into it and enjoy going a lot, then it could be really good. If not, it seems likely that your wife will get pretty fed up with you going off and leaving her with them several times a week - as you would, if she spent a couple of nights a week at a choir (for example) and you were left as permanent baby sitter.

Whether the kids get into it - and stay into it - probably depends on how sociable an activity it is for them - other kids they like hanging around with.

We used to go to a terrible dry ski slope in the Ayrshire coalfield. So terrible it didn't have a lift of any kind (skis on shoulders and walk up the muddy grass.....). There was often a little gang of local kids there, having a ball, and extremely skilled (all skiing, this was before the days of snow boarding). To be fair, it was about the only thing to do for miles around....

There's no doubt in my mind that you could get very good on a dry slope. That's where some of our slopesiders train, isn't it? But for you, too, a social element would help. Is there a club?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It seems to be set up as a club alright, with a good bit of a social aspect to it. I hear you on the getting out bit, I'd have to work it around other commitments and kids activities. I'll have a think over the summer. And i'll update if I go for it with progress.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It seems to be set up as a club alright, with a good bit of a social aspect to it. I hear you on the getting out bit, I'd have to work it around other commitments and kids activities. I'll have a think over the summer. And i'll update if I go for it with progress.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

i'll update if I go for it with progress

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@philwig, hard to quantify what an "expert standard" boarder/skier would be as it may mean different things to different people and of course people have their own goals. But I respectively would disagree with your assertion. I tend to ski twice a year - for 6.5/7.5 days - about 7/7.5 hours a day. So let's say 100 hours a year.

You realise out of those 100 hours over half (perhaps even closer to 70%, even more if you start adding in lunches and other stops) will be sitting on lifts and not actually downhill skiing. You won't become an expert snowboarder on 2 weeks a year - just like you wouldn't become an expert at anything doing it only 2 weeks per year or even 2 hours per week. I remember bein in awe at my 2 week per season friends "expert" snowboarding, then them visiting me 2 months into my first season and I was shocked how bad they were now in comparison. I'd now class them as "good for holiday snowboarders" but certainly not good let alone expert snowboarders. Of course it does depend how you define expert but you can't beat time on snow (or plastic in this case) for improving.

Quote:

I see there is a family package for 900 euro - if that covers 2x adults & 2x children, then maybe it’s not that bad if you use it.

If you can get it for 900euro for you and 3 kids and go enough it starts to sound more reasonable. If you go every other week that's 12 visits during the season = 18.75euro per person per visit. When you consider how much subs cost for kids sport and how much a day out of entertainment costs it doesn't seem crazy. Of course that's assuming they enjoy it.

I've never actually ridden artificial slopes, but heard they trash equipment so might be worth getting some cheap 2nd hand stuff or using rental gear if included.
snow report
Quote:

heard they trash equipment

they trash clothes too. And thumbs.
snow report
You can only go so far on a 100m dry/fridge slope with a constant pitch/conditions.

Yep, you only need to look at Dave Ryding to qualify that little gem
latest report
Good perspective. The kids certainly enjoyed the real deal so hopefully they would like to try the plastic.

Equipment is included but I really like my flow bindings (for better or worse!).

Thanks for all the perspectives.
snow report
I can't see if your children are boarding or skiing.

But a possibility may be long board or mountain board to get them doing something towards boarding in non ski season. Basic skills are all but identical with rudimentary equipment not too costly.
I teach my daughter on her brother's long board just on tarmac with very gentle slope needed. We've a carpark near us that has, topographicaly, a flattened dome and only about 5 degree max at any point which is great for building skills at slow speeds, just basic balance and then linking successive turns, it's very effective and confidence instilling.
Mountain board a little more involved equipment wise but can be shared and carried out on any grassy slope, you need just enough gradient to keep it going with the relative friction it generates, again the skills build easily. As you're driving around you start spotting suitable terrain, pretty easy access generally and keeps them fit.

A little left field, but great fun.
snow conditions
Hi ski3, the kids are skiing as I figured that was easier to learn. But if we go for a family membership they can try boarding lessons at a bit of a discount. One of them is mad to try boarding. Just wanted then all in the same lessons for our first trip.

Cost wise it's about twice the yearly rugby club sub, but almost ten times the camogie club sub! Can't beat the GAA for cheap sport.

Lots to mull over anyway, while I continue to try persuade my wife that an Easter trip to France in a good idea.
latest report
I wouldn't bother, to reach a good recreational snowboard level is easy enough if you put in the weeks away and have patience. Even if you went for it you'd get bored well before the year is up and then it'll be a chore more than anything. I went to my local fridge in Jan 2 years without being on a board and after 2 runs it was way too small. It takes 5 mins to get up and 2 secs to get down. I practiced my freestyle but still wasn't enough. Save your dough and plan a 2 week holiday next year add some lessons, maybe even come to Hemel for a weekend and get on a snowboard in day course (or whatever it's called now) I was tempted to join Hemel but doing 2 to 3 weeks a year worked better plus got to see so many different mountains. Andorra and Bulgaria are cheap enough to start with.
ski holidays
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

So he trained his whole career on a dry slope did he rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
The additional practice opportunities plastic slopes deliver clearly is a major way for people in non-snowy places to get the practice needed to get good.
I've never seen an expert (piano or snow) who got there by practicing for only two weeks a year.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that people ought to restrict themselves to only plastic, which can only be a misunderstanding of the argument.
Practicing both on plastic and on snow is obviously the way to go, if you can afford it.

Here's Mo from yesterday, he's very good, but most people would likely agree he's not quite "expert" just yet.
ski holidays
One name. Dave Ryding. World Cup winner and all round superhero. Learned on a dry slope.
ski holidays
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Layne wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

So he trained his whole career on a dry slope did he rolling eyes rolling eyes

Nope he also trains in a fridge
snow report
Personally doing a few laps on a dry/fridge slope would soon get V boring unless you can get a structured training scheme like joining a race club or progressive lessons. If there's a social side all the better.

Thread drift time... in first Google search of dry slope in Ireland up came the ski club of Ireland who owns and runs the biggest artificial slope in Ireland..... SCGB take note
snow report
Unfortunately we've lost some good facilities in UK, Shefield, Hillingdon, Bracknell (shortish but decent enough gradient to get some energy going) I've hooked a few into trying skiing over the years at these.

Interesting how DR publicity plays out, cycling seemed massively boosted by national participation in the sport generally.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Found this also https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120982 a few names still prominent here.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

heard they trash equipment

they trash clothes too. And thumbs.

And scaphoids
ski holidays
or "Hillend Thumb" as it is known in the Edinburgh ED
ski holidays
When my OH walked into the Casualty department of Gloucester Hospital, clutching the directions they gave him at the slope (they had a pile to hand, at the reception desk) they knew exactly where he'd come from. He did once stab himself in the calf with a stick - through a pair of denim jeans...... but hard to blame the slope for that.
ski holidays
@washout that's the one near me. Don't think there are any others on the island.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy