Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leki Trigger S Straps Off Piste

Poster: A snowHead
I have been told many time not to use pole straps off-piste.

I have Leki poles with Trigger S strap system which is supposed to release when snagged.
Do people think this is enough to mitigate against the possible dangers that straps pose, or would you still not use them?

Any words of wisdom appreciated ....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have leki poles with trigger s, and I don't trust the poles to release off-piste, if there is a chance they won't release it is a risk not worth taking.

Quote:
The safety spring-trigger system releases the strap upwards under strong tensile load. The first ski pole with a built-in safety binding can minimise fall injuries.

What is a strong tensile load, what if the movement for the pole to release is not clear due to already being in an avalanche.

Worth reading this thread:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/leki-trigger-s-safety-system.16149/

and this:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/leki-trigger-s-ski-poles-do-they-release-when-you-crash.23815/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-10-20 22:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Salomon do poles with releasable straps - marketed as 'S3'. I inadvertently tested the system last winter and it worked rather well. Just a tumble, not an avalanche, but was a bit bemused to find a lonely strap around my wrist and the pole somewhere a dozen metres above me - until I remembered the release system. Here are a few links, one to a review the other to Salomon's page - they start from £40.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/salomon-mtn-carbon-s3-pole
https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/men/alpine-equipment/poles.html?dir=asc&is_ajax=1&order=price&p_technology_1=23189

Rossignol do a simlar system - I spotted theirs in Au Vieux Campeur for about €35 for a pair of basic alu poles.

To try to answer the OP's question: yes, happy to keep my straps on both off piste and in the trees with the Salomon S3s but not having tried the Leki system can't comment on theirs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a pair of really fancy carbon hollow Leki poles with an S trigger system which hung on to a pair of Leki gloves.
But they were a bit of a phaaf to clip on and I never use straps anyway.

I lost the gloves first Sad
Then I fractured one of the poles, (the left one)
I know ... I know.. but these poles were so fancy they had port and starboard in a pair.

So now I've just got one pole, its very nice ... but I've lent it to somebody ...
So now I've got cold hands and no poles. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went over some safety nets two years ago. I found a pole still attached to a glove hanging from the nets. It looked rather macabre! It also explained a sore shoulder. I rather lost my faith in trigger s after that but perhaps it was just one of those things.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have some trigger S poles with straps which attach onto my gloves (as they are Hestra gloves and so not directly compatible). I only use them on piste however have have some BD adjustable ones for off piste which have conventional straps which I don't use when off piste.

I am fairly confident the trigger S ones will release if I fall on piste but not sure I would trust them in an avalanche situation or similar.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@FoofyNoo, by whom, and did they explain why?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, it’s hard to pull an airbag if your pole is being pulled and pushed in slide, it’s hard to “swim” and it’s hard to try to make an air pocket as the slide comes towards a halt. In summary in a slide it’s best to ditch your poles as soon as you lose balance. I wouldn’t be using trigger s off piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

@FoofyNoo, by whom, and did they explain why?

Probably best explained here by people much more experienced than me ...

http://youtube.com/v/CF2vFsYR8dU
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Charliee, thanks, but my question was really pointed at a very generalised "not to use pole straps off-piste".

But I really shouldn't have got into a conversation that is not really going to have an end.

For the little that it's worth I typically use my straps going uphill but wouldn't in trees or if I was worried about a decision I'd made. But in the latter situation, while I'd take them off, I'd have more on my mind.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's another video arguing why you shouldn't use pole straps off piste: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=804213130414843
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Here's another video arguing why you shouldn't use pole straps off piste: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=804213130414843

Basic video, but arguments well explained!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use G3 Via poles which have easily removable clip on straps, so I’m not tempted automatically to use them.

Aside from the avalanche burial issues, the main risk with loose pole straps is getting them hooked up when tree skiing, hence going with the removable option.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:

Thanks. That's me convinced ....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
esaw1 wrote:
I went over some safety nets two years ago. I found a pole still attached to a glove hanging from the nets. It looked rather macabre! It also explained a sore shoulder. I rather lost my faith in trigger s after that but perhaps it was just one of those things.

Not sure he had any sort of releasable straps at the time, but the de-gloved description reminded me of what nearly happened to a ski friend when his pole got caught on a tree and he batmobile turned into it - except de-gloving is apparently a medical term for when you pull all your skin/flesh off your hand/lower arm! Skullie Luckily he narrowly avoided doing this, unluckily he still has some giant scars to show why (at least conventional) pole straps in the trees are a bad idea! Shocked
snow report
@stuarth, degloving is not limited to hands/arms. Also can happen to mens' old chaps. Anywhere really. It is possible that anywhere else may be described as "degloving-like" ...
ski holidays
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you want to keep your pols straps. Most if not all experts I have spoken to who dislke pole straps have themselves NEVER been involved in a major avalanche.

Due to unfortunate situations/lack of care and attention/the places I ski n live in, I have been ncked off my feet and carried away by snow 20+ times. I have been severly avalanched twice, once getting away with a dislocated shoulder due to cliff contact and once a messed up knee due to the washing machine affect and the 300+ vertical meter ride in less distance. EVERY time I have been very glad of having my poles or ploe (lost one once). When you have lost one or both skis, if you have even just one pole you can make progress is unconcolidated mess that is avalanche debris, wether is be quicksand soft or icy bouldery mess so much faster than not having poles. Of my friends who have been avalanched and burried NONE have blamed their poles. Most have lost them.

Tree skiing and poles, don't use poles with a metal ring as part of the basket (a la old school powder basket). Don't bash the trees with your pole to get them out of the way, ski round them. I have skied a lot of trees, and lots of burried vegitation in deep light powder snow. I've only got hung up trying to punch trough stuff.

Poles have straps, use them, but correctly (somone shouldbe able to find a nice video of how to correctly use a pole strap)
ski holidays
@Idris, thank you
IMO do what works for you but nothing is more tedious than being lectured by a no pole straps evangelist when you have weighed up the pros and cons yourself and decided that using the straps works for you
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
@Idris, thank you
IMO do what works for you but nothing is more tedious than being lectured by a no pole straps evangelist when you have weighed up the pros and cons yourself and decided that using the straps works for you

Wink only met one who had been avalanched. And on hearing the detailed account of his avalanche story - and a quite well documented story - long burial, found by dog etc. He is somone I. and most of his friends won't ski with on a fresh snow day or if the risk is above 2. His personal survival decesion making process is not fuctioning well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy