Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where can I go skiing this Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
WishIWasFitter wrote:
I'm happy to take a test before leaving but I don't want to on arrival

t4tomo wrote:
that was the OP's point, you've unwittingly answered your own question without seemingly realising it, nor apologising for being rude

You're right. I'd read this as being happy to take a test before leaving the resort after the holiday, but I see now that the intent was to take a test in the UK before leaving home, and then quarantine at home if it comes back positive. My objection was to willingly moving around resort with covid rather than cancel a holiday.

@WishIWasFitter, I had misunderstood what you were objecting to, so I apologise.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In terms of answering the title question... not even sure Hemel will be possible the way things are going Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27 wrote:
WishIWasFitter wrote:
I hate the unknown, part of me would like to be told I couldn't go. Any advice or suggestions?

You can't go.

Happy to help Little Angel

There's a lot of truth in that.

Really, the probability of "can't go" is really high. So it's more practical to accept that. And then, you may get pleasantly surprised if you find some place you can go right on the night before.

WishIWasFitter wrote:
I like the look of Borovets in Bulgaria but can't find any cheap flights.

I wouldn't bother with booking anything this far out. Things could change substantially between now an mid-December.

I repeat, "you can't go". But come back and resurrect this thread in mid-December. You may be pleasantly surprised to find there ARE places you can go with reasonable certainty.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christmas is too early for proper skiing here, unless November-December is colder and snowier than usual, which so far it isn't. While they will open on the 19th the latest, the conditions before january are not optimal, and I don't expect them to work hard this winter when the foreign tourists are gone.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think we are determined to go somewhere, but it might not end up being skiing. I'm researching various options, so hopefully in a couple of weeks once we know what will open I'll be ready to book. Also waiting to see what gets snow. I like the look of Valfrejus and Norma as we don't need a large area, but I think they might be a bit low for Christmas. I didn't know Spain had a ski resort, but again a bit risky for Christmas. I haven't found any small and high resorts in Austria that have doorstep skiing, any suggestions please? I have Saasfee for Switzerland, though that is bigger than we need and is the accomadation we are interested in is already full or nearly.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scandinavia possibly. They are generally good for early season snow, which is variable at best in Alps, and may be more likely to have less restricted travle - but who knows on that point. They will certainly have very expensive alcohol!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sweden only , norway is completely closed I believe.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WishIWasFitter wrote:
I haven't found any small and high resorts in Austria that have doorstep skiing,.

https://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 19-11-20 12:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WishIWasFitter, there are loads of hotels in Austria that are situated at lift stations or even on the piste. The downside is that they are often not in the village centres and can be a little isolated. Lift stations almost always have equipment storage, so walking around in ski boots carrying skis really isn't a necessity if you do not have "doorstep skiing". Remember most visitors to Austria bring their cars, so they are happy to park at lift stations each day and have the benefit of being able to visit many different ski areas during their stay. Doorstep skiing really isn't a huge draw here, but it does exist.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
WishIWasFitter wrote:
I haven't found any small and high resorts in Austria that have doorstep skiing, any suggestions please?

Kühtai ((village and hotels at 2020m)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kühtai, Obertauern and Rohrmoos (althoung not very high), many hotels in SFL, Lech or Oberlech, Zürs, Stuben, Saalbach etc and you could find almost everywhere in every ski resort some (or better to say a few) hotels that are near the slopes-lifts...but usually are really expensive

PS i know they are not really small but ok....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the ideas. Kuhtai looks great for me, but doesn't have enough blue runs for my family. Schlosshotel looks gorgeous but rather pricey
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I haven't found any small and high resorts in Austria that have doorstep skiing, any suggestions please?

@WishIWasFitter, There are plenty of Austrian resorts that have doorstep skiing. The snow line is lower in the eastern Alps, so you don’t need as much altitude. A good, efficient and extensive snow-making system is probably as important as altitude in the early season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the last week BA flights to Mexico, Bulgaria and Austria have doubled, which was making me lean towards a crystal package holiday to Finland, but they have now delayed letting tourists in untill the 13th Dec, I wonder whether there will be another delay a couple of days beforehand. I'd love to see the northern lights but not sure about a week of almost no daylight. I hear France is making an anouncement on Tuesday, hope there's a definitive answer on whether the ski resorts will open.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="WishIWasFitter"]I haven't found any small and high resorts in Austria that have doorstep skiing, any suggestions please? /quote]

Obergurgl
snow conditions
@WishIWasFitter, Scotland 23-28 December Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Finland.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Finland.

Closed to foreign visitors
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
WishIWasFitter wrote:
I haven't found any small and high resorts in Austria that have doorstep skiing,.

https://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/

We have stayed there and its the hotel used in the Will Ferrell film 'Downhill'. Fiss/Sefaus is far from being a small resort and I believe the area is on the top 10 global most visited resorts every year - but relatively unknown. Great hotel with a T-bar to gain elevation to ski-in/out. The meals have a buffet component starters, dessert and you will definitely be breathing in other people's warm air in the dining room and the pool area. You'd do well to get the holiday under £5K for a family of 4.
snow report
WishIWasFitter wrote:
I've cancelled our accomadation at VT but keeping flights so will wait and see what opens, also looking at Bulgaria

People we know in Sofia say that the situation is very serious. I'd be rather inclined to not overburden the health system there, especially given the age profile of the population. It's not like you are being asked to put up with wartime, national service, years of family separation etc. Just stay home! Unless you really need those Instagram snaps... rolling eyes
latest report
That's France out until probably the 20th Jan
ski holidays
WishIWasFitter wrote:
That's France out until probably the 20th Jan

Bulgaria too:

https://www.novinite.com/articles/206673/Extraordinary+Measures%3A+Bulgaria+Proposes+Lockdown%2C+Closes+Schools%2C+Restaurants%2C+Malls
snow report
Bulgaria - new measures from this saturday, but ski resorts (and any sports, except indoor gyms) not closed down (none currently open anyway, but expected opening dates are around 15th of december, weather permitting). Hotels are also open, but restaurant can only do take-away, meaning any hotel guests will be eating in the hotel room only. Measures are for 3 weeks, ending on dec 21st.
snow report
... otherwise yes - covid situation is bad right now, as we didn't have a first wave in spring, we are having it now. Seems to be at the top at the moment, so I expect things to be much calmer by Christmas.
snow conditions
Germany seeks EU deal to close ski resorts

Is Germany going to be the Grinch that stole Xmas (skiing)? Toofy Grin
snow report
@Alastair Pink, under what EU powers/laws could that happen, exactly?
snow report
what is wrong with those Germans Puzzled
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Alastair Pink, under what EU powers/laws could that happen, exactly?

I expect Germany is just hoping that by having a meeting with the other EU alpine countries they can reach a common agreement to close the ski resorts over Xmas. It wouldn't be EU power/laws, just several countries reaching an agreement to act together (if it happens that is). Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Is Germany going to be the Grinch that stole Xmas (skiing)? Toofy Grin

Well, they still blame skiing for the spread of covid rapidly through europe
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, but the way the tory party propaganda machine wrote it up, it's a demand on the EU to act at EU level. They need better editors.

They also got "Macron made clear on Tuesday that ski resorts in France would stay shut until the New Year." wrong. He didn't say that. They need better translators.
snow report
So much for the "ever closer union".
snow conditions
I think I'm down to Finland or Switzerland, I like the look of Leysin, but is a bit low, anyone been there? Currently Finland is due to let tourists in from the 13th dec, anyone been in Dec, read reports that the snow isn't great then and only a few flood lit slopes are open. Levi looks promising.
snow report
@mitcva, what union? Of alpine nations?
latest report
Quote:

I think I'm down to Finland or Switzerland, I like the look of Leysin, but is a bit low, anyone been there? Currently Finland is due to let tourists in from the 13th dec, anyone been in Dec, read reports that the snow isn't great then and only a few flood lit slopes are open. Levi looks promising.

Where did you see that about 13 Dec?
There is (just someone's holiday) video on YouTube from Xmas 2019. It is not as dark and cold looking as I thought when considering the same thing.
ski holidays
WishIWasFitter wrote:

Been to Leysin a few times and I like it. Its not the biggest area or the most demanding terrain, but they do have plenty of chair lifts, and the runs back to the village are all covered by artificial snow making, so you should be good to 'get home' even if its a bit warm. Added bonus too is the mountain railway from Aigle that drops you in the resort.
I'm booked in for Feb, but depending on the quarantine situation, I might give it a miss, and save things for 2022 - and commute/renew the MagicPass (which is a bargain if you get in early doors)
latest report
Serbia is gearing to open up its ski resorts in Dec.

Small and low, but maybe a Xmas option for folks on a budget.

Switzerland the premium option.

Merkel wants all EU ski resorts to close until Jan.
snow report
Not sure where I read about the 13th, sorry. @zombie

@Checkflaps have you ever been to Leysin in Dec?
snow report
Andorra, and I think Spanish Pyrenees resorts, traditionally start snowmaking early so they can open for the national holidays before Christmas. I've just checked the live webcams and you can see snowmaking already at least in upper Grandvalira and Bacqueira-Beret. There is no guarantee all the mountains will be white but they try to get the main pistes covered. They do this every year.

I have no idea if Brits will be allowed in.
ski holidays
WishIWasFitter wrote:
Not sure where I read about the 13th, sorry. @zombie

@Checkflaps have you ever been to Leysin in Dec?

Too low IMO for Dec, especially this year given there is literally no snow to it’s highest altitude at the moment. It could change quickly in Dec but could also be very scratchy looking at the current (bare) forecasts. What about Saas Fee. Already open. Much higher. Good snow guaranteed on the glacier.
latest report
@Orange200, Spain now requires a negative test to enter. Catalonia (where Baquiera-Beret is) has recently reopened sports facilities and bars etc with limited capacity. Bars and restaurants close at 9:30pm, and there is a 10pm curfew. The big problem though is that Catalonia has a perimeter border closure - you can't enter or leave except for essential purposes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy