Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Bartlett break-in

Poster: A snowHead
Many snowHeads will know the long established store Ski Bartlett that has an excellent reputation. Sadly according to a recent Facebook post they have had a break-in during the just started lockdown and stock has been stolen: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159553229569252&id=165344769251
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a bug for them. At least they dont sound too down about it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a mess, feel for them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pathetic and sad what people do - hope they catch the thieves!

Would be interesting to see the CCTV footage - looks like they drove straight into the shop Puzzled

Sure it makes it even harder for Terry and the crew this year with COVID and the challenges.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a pretty brazen theft. For those that don't know the area Bartlett's are on the Uxbridge Road, a major road through West London on a 24hr bus route.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Terry is a lovely guy, will take more than a few idiots to get him down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a car nicked off the drive a little over a week ago in the middle of the afternoon. Main road, right by set of traffic lights and a car garage that was open.

Tilt-and-slide recovery truck reversed up to it, hooked it up and drove away in less than 5 minutes. One of the neighbours saw it and took photos (but didn't get the registration - although I suspect it would have been using cloned plates).

Both he and I are still waiting on a call from the police having reported it online.

I wish Ski Bartlett more success!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I only started using Ski Bartlett about four years ago. I think they are a great little outfit and I wish them every success.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bought my boots from them a couple of years ago. Lovely place, a real warren of snow kit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From the Facebook post, it seems that they were unaware that it had happened until they arrived in the morning and found it like that. That suggests a lack of an intruder alarm system, or at least a lack of alarm monitoring which would have called them to inform them of a disturbance. CCTV will show nothing useful even if they have some - stolen 4x4 reverses through the door, masked people hoover up some of the stock and depart, changing vehicles a mile or so away and torching the stolen car.

In that area, with houses all around, I suspect that someone heard or saw something, but again like the CCTV it won't help. If there was an alarm but no monitoring, they'd have been really annoyed at the alarm for the time it was active, and then gone back to sleep. Even if they called the police, I suspect that they would issue a crime number for insurance purposes and ask if they had any conclusive evidence of who did it, and on hearing that there was nothing, they then marked it as closed unless some of the stolen property turns up on eBay or is found elsewhere and can be traced back to this theft.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ousekjarr, from their comments below the Facebook post they said it was early morning not overnight and that the police responded in minutes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tubaski, thanks, I hadn't seen that - the joys of Facebook only showing you the "most relevant" comments...

The intelligence of the people that did it won't be high, especially given that this is not exactly the best time to sell ski gear, but they've probably done this multiple times and gotten away with it so far.

With the police station being 300m away, the unusually fast response time is perhaps to be expected especially as there would probably have been some cars in the area. Even then, without a witness who could say "they went that way", it's not a great comfort. Getting a vehicle make, model and registration number from CCTV would probably be 10-15 minutes even with someone on site instantly, so that's not going to be an immediate help unless it can push the footage to a phone in real time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ousekjarr, are you now or have you ever been a Police Officer ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Restless native, no - have you ever been a victim of crime? I have, and the police response wasn't all rosy - but then I have realistic expectations of what can be achieved on a limited budget and with limited manpower, and I'm not expecting an armed response in under 3 minutes when I call to say I've been burgled while I was away for the weekend. I also know several police officers well, and while they work hard and have far more work than they can ever complete, I have no issues with them. Is your point that 100% of crime is fully investigated and the Met always get their man (or woman)?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ousekjarr, I don't understand how Facebook works at all. They offer an advertisement for something that I have not been interested in in my life. No, well, political advertising is broadcast to everyone, but the goods for embroidery ... Why do I need this? The principle of "relevant" reviews is just as incomprehensible. It would seem that in 2020 there should already be adequate principles for the operation of social networks.

Did someone saw something? This is not a fact. Because here people see anything except robberies and break-ins. I would not hope for witnesses.
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
@Restless native, no - have you ever been a victim of crime? I have, and the police response wasn't all rosy - but then I have realistic expectations of what can be achieved on a limited budget and with limited manpower, and I'm not expecting an armed response in under 3 minutes when I call to say I've been burgled while I was away for the weekend. I also know several police officers well, and while they work hard and have far more work than they can ever complete, I have no issues with them. Is your point that 100% of crime is fully investigated and the Met always get their man (or woman)?

You are absolutely correct Ousekjarr, given the resources available to Police Officers, with the best will in the world , unfortunately there are going to be victims of crime who do not get a satisfactory outcome to their complaint. It never fails to surprise me however how many people on public forums can speak about what Police Officers can/ can’t or should have/ should not have done despite never having been in the job.
snow report
Plenty of people on this forum that are not, or have never been qualified ski instructors but their views and opinions are welcome!
ski holidays
@Challenger007, WTF are you on about ? Very Happy

You are JuanGluv and I claim my £5.
ski holidays
@Restless native, like the story theft of the toilets from the local nick, there are many occasions when the police have nothing to go on wink

Not being a serving or former police officer doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion on policing, and clearly it doesn't stop the politicians "elected" to PCC positions from having a direct impact on policy and funding either. It is a fact of life that some crimes are effectively ignored, and in many cases the correct decision has been made to do so as the chances of a conviction are very low and it is essentially a waste of police time when they could be doing something more impactful. Some naive people think that this shouldn't be the case, but I'm not one of them. On the other hand, as a victim it is no consolation that the police aren't immediately rounding up the usual suspects and searching lock-ups for the stolen stuff. It's a problem of society, not of policing.

Your post looked like an attempt to jump down my throat for daring to criticise the police response, but I hope that I've explained that wasn't my intention, and you've realised that it wasn't necessarily the best approach to querying that reading of it.

On the plus side, at least your taste in films is good wink
latest report
Quote:

Getting a vehicle make, model

Well, if it turns out to be a Skoda estate, it could put about 400 Snowheads under suspicion...
latest report
Good point @Richard_Sideways, and it looks like this snowHead has a load of ski stuff to shift Toofy Grin
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:

The intelligence of the people that did it won't be high, especially given that this is not exactly the best time to sell ski gear, but they've probably done this multiple times and gotten away with it so far.

Sounds like they knew the high value stuff to go for though: Black Crows, Arc'teryx, Norrona. You'd expect with that sort of shopping list you'd have a pre-fencing strategy somewhere in Europe but probably will pop up on gumtree, eBay, FB marketplace in a couple of months with a selling for a mate backstory.
latest report
Just a thought, knowing nothing about the subject Embarassed but how feasible would it be during the ski production process to incorporate a visible unique serial number?
snow report
they do - I can you from memory (with some embarassment) that at least one of of my pairs of skis is 007, another IIRC is 0019
snow conditions

Serial number is just visible in this shot of my skis, inkjet printed across the middle.

Under the length (167) is a model number, AA0013800
latest report
We are Ski Bartlett customers. I hope the burglary doesn't impact the business, they are great.
snow report
Did they end up sharing a list of what to keep our eyes out for?
ski holidays
@thecramps, they're sounding pretty bouncy on FB and with Switzerland staying open...?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven't bought much from them but they do sound like one of those old school genuine buisness that rely on good service for repeat custome.
I presume they have insurance for this type of thing and it may be a blessing in disguise with the current lock down on the lead to xmas which is probably there busiest time of the year.
As for the comment with seriel numbers, in a perfect world yes but in reality who really is going to buy second hand skis and check seriel numbers? If something is bought and found out to be hot the only person penalised usually is the poor mug who bought it in good faith when the item is confiscated and the seller has disappeared into the sunset.
ski holidays
My guess would be that the kit is on its way to Europe. Like the 1000's of cycles stolen every week.
latest report
Washout is right from what I have seen .
Except the buyer isnt hammered as they havent committed the theft ....I have single item experience of this which came out of A van load nicked in scotland.

My guess from two past incidents (one of which was a single board nicked off Bartletts show stand years ago) is it comes down to insurance and the victim moves on possibly updating security.
(Bartletts inside steel gates looked old style target friendly .Most shops seem to have outside roll down steel garage type roller shutters possibly better which may be why people use them )

The police may track the theft if a trail or a active crew exists otherwise .......your guess is as good as mine.

People who buy nicked stuff may become part of that trail but are not the thieves the police want once insurance has paid out .
So if the kit was left in resort no ones going to bother about you unknowingly having bought it once insurance has paid out .

Another point is if items are advertised sold out of multiple occupancy properties good luck .

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 11-11-20 14:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm not expecting an armed response in under 3 minutes

On the couple of occasions I've had attempted break-ins I've had heavily armed response in around that timeframe.

One of the VERY few benefits of running a Post Office for a couple of decades.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy