Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
So relaxed here it's not true, police don't seem to be interested. Seeing loads of people obviously going hiking with rucksacks and poles. There was even a guy paraponting yesterday, ok 1 hour and 1 km is achievable but ... Shocked Very quiet though so they probably haven't many concerns. I'm mainly going out on my MTB, sticking to 1 hour and not exactly 1 km but not much further, roads and lowest paths at the bottom of the pistes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Claude B, interesting, it's good that people are still taking exercise anyway. Just a minor quibble, isn't it parapenting? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is, my bad. In fact he's up there already this morning, before 9.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Claude B, evidently loads of PGHM in Briancon not endearing themselves to the locals by openly having lunch en masse in one of the main hotels.

Evidently, they're all on exercise up in the mountains and on the frontier.

And that guy in the sky could well be an instructor so as per Davidoffs link on the previous page is exempt from the 1km 1hr rule
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
France is apparently going to change the lockdown rules. The "5000 cases per day" rule wouldn't be reached until April so they now say a R0 of less than 1 will be good to ease lockdown. This could happen before Christmas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can confirm the exemption for instructors. We've been out mountain biking and I'll consider going for a tour if it snows (MTB guide and snowboard instructor). Advice from our professional association is to use discretion and to remain as local as possible. Or, to paraphrase, don't take the piss.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's probably how the guy parapenting is getting away with it, there are several moniteurs here, summer and winter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tightening of controls from today.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got controlled again today - some of the Gendarms were nice, or at list civile, some were nasty and DON'T know the opening schedules of the local shops, as normal my paperwork past muster.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Getting very silly now rolling eyes

Having to wear a mask when out walking in the mountains, that said you can't theoretically go 1km from home?

Le port du masque obligatoire en Savoie, y compris dans les espaces naturels : une "mesure idiote" pour les promeneurs

Depuis le 3 novembre, l'obligation du port du masque a été étendue à tout l'espace public de la Savoie, y compris en pleine nature. Une mesure que les promeneurs ne comprennent pas.

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/port-du-masque-obligatoire-savoie-y-compris-espaces-naturels-mesure-idiote-promeneurs-1892868.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Les promeneurs ne comprennent pas", I take it that is an understatement @Weathercam.

However it does seem to be what people are doing, I had the St Gervais webcam open in another tab and magnifying the image people do seem to wearing masks (Haute Savoie, but I assume that is under the same requirements as Savoie). Plenty of people in the square it being market day and nice weather - though I can't help wondering whether some of the clusters of people apparently chatting are all from the same household. Perhaps the outdoor mask-wearing edict is to compensate for an observed inability of the French to adhere to social distancing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In Isère it's only mandatory outside in towns with a population of more than 5K. They are starting to crack down on hikers though, not that it's apparent here.

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2020/11/11/isere-coronavirus-covid-19-sante-confinement-non-respecte-en-montagne-attention-les-gendarmes-veillent?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd wrote:
Can confirm the exemption for instructors. We've been out mountain biking and I'll consider going for a tour if it snows (MTB guide and snowboard instructor). Advice from our professional association is to use discretion and to remain as local as possible. Or, to paraphrase, don't take the piss.

Am I being dim, or is there some logic to the instructor exemption I'm not seeing. So instructors can go on a longer hike/ride/tour/ski/fly/whatever but they can't, presumably, take a client? So what's the point of the exemption? How is it necessary for them to do these activities simply as it's their trade when they can't actually earn any money at it at present? Is it that they 'need' to keep practicing whatever activity they instruct in, I guess some may be in the process of working towards further quals?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't look too closely for logic, you'll get eye strain.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@midgetbiker, for top UIAGM guides at least, they have to stay fit so it's hugely important that they are not restricted to just an hour, but there again there are many that don't bother with maintaining that high level of fitness.

They would also argue that as soon as the snow comes they'll be out there and with each snowfall they'll get a solid understanding of how the snowpack developed as it were, if that makes sense ?

Also this time of year it's their down-time before they start working with clients, a few I know are out there with their wives etc which they can't do when the season really kicks off.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
France is apparently going to change the lockdown rules. The "5000 cases per day" rule wouldn't be reached until April so they now say a R0 of less than 1 will be good to ease lockdown. This could happen before Christmas.

That's good news. I hadnt heard of a '5000 cases' threshold, is that previously stated govt policy?
ski holidays
iainm wrote:
davidof wrote:

That's good news. I hadnt heard of a '5000 cases' threshold, is that previously stated govt policy?

Yes.

Latest news, lockdown to continue to around the 18th December. Afterwards some easing but non French won't be allowed to ski over Christmas.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 12-11-20 22:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Non French or non French residents?

Don’t think the extension has been confirmed, and at least schools are staying open so parents have a permanent justification for driving around a lot
ski holidays
polo wrote:

Non french residents, in all likelyhood. Details not announced but may be restricted to 100km.
latest report
polo wrote:
at least schools are staying open so parents have a permanent justification for driving around a lot

well driving to and from school, if you are somewhere else expect to get fined, if stopped
snow report
davidof wrote:
polo wrote:

Non french residents, in all likelyhood. Details not announced but may be restricted to 100km.

Ooh I hope they are till after new years......some ski lifts will be open and NO crowds Wink
snow report
Where did you hear that non residents won't be allowed in?
snow report
@davidof, that's a blow. We had been optimistically thinking we could visit forjust a few days at the very beginning of December. I guess we need to look at the details.
ski holidays
WishIWasFitter wrote:

It's going to be a very limited deconfinement for Christmas.
snow report
davidof wrote:
iainm wrote:
davidof wrote:

Yes.

Latest news, lockdown to continue to 15th December. Afterwards some easing but non French won't be allowed to ski over Christmas.

Where did you get 15th December? I think you really need to start posting sources. I watched Castex live tonight and live in the Savoie.

The latest news that I have (https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/live/2020/11/12/covid-19-suivez-en-direct-la-conference-de-presse-de-jean-castex-sur-la-situation-sanitaire_6059507_3244.html) is that on 1st December there will be some easing, certain businesses allowed to open, but bars, gyms etc will remain closed. With no further info on date. Sounds like they plan to ease up again around Xmas, but big gatherings unlikely.

No mention of skiing or travel for leisure reasons.
snow report
davidof wrote:
WishIWasFitter wrote:

You’re starting to sound like a French version of Stanton
ski holidays
@davidof, @timlongs, and others, does anyone know exactly what was decided about the end date? UK media (OK, journalists probably have the same dodgy O level French as me) seem to suggest Castex simply said lockdown would continue for another 2 weeks which it was due to do anyway subject to an interim review. Is it certain it will extend beyond 2 December?
snow conditions
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-lockdown-No-change-for-at-least-two-weeks

12 NOVEMBER 2020

France lockdown: No change for at least two weeks
Prime Minister Jean Castex made the announcement tonight, asking everyone in France to respect the rules. We summarise the key points of his speech
12 November 2020
Prime Minister Jean Castex gave an update on the coronavirus situation two weeks after the introduction of a second national lockdown
By Connexion journalist
France's prime minister Jean Castex has said that France’s lockdown, introduced October 30, will remain unchanged until at least December 1.

When President Macron announced the lockdown he promised there would be an update after two weeks at which point tighter or more relaxed restrictions could be announced.

However Mr Castex said there will be no immediate change and asks everyone to respect the rules and continue the recommended sanitary measures including airing rooms.

He said that from December 1 shops may be permitted to open, depending on the Covid situation, but not bars or restaurants. He also said that exemption forms (attestations de déplacement) will remain even beyond December 1.

Key points from Mr Castex’s announcement include:

Christmas and New Year.
Mr Castex said: "Our objective is to be able to allow a new easing [of rules] at the time of the Christmas holidays so that the people in France can spend the end of the year festivities with their families, but these will not be able to take place in the same way as usual. We will of course be able to be with our own family, but it would not be reasonable to hope to be able to organise big parties for several dozen people, especially on New Year’s Eve."
There will be a possible easing of rules on December 1 but it will strictly be for shops
Bars, restaurants and sports halls will remain closed even with an easing of rules for shops
Exemption forms (attestations de déplacement) will remain even beyond December 1
Economy. Mr Castex promised to continue providing “large-scale economic support to all the shops and businesses that have been forced to close."
In the last two months he said: “We have seen more than 10,000 additional deaths in France, one death in four is due to this disease today.”
In the last few days there has been one hospitalisation every 30 seconds and one admission to intensive care every three minutes
40% of the people admitted to the ICU are aged under 65
Economic activity could fall by at least 12% in November; this is three times less than in spring
In the next few days, each of the 800 university halls of residence in France will have two student representatives to help, in particular, first-year students or students in difficulty
There are 22% fewer commutes between homes and workplaces than in September
Long-distance train journeys fell by 85%
Domestic air travel is at 10% of normal capacity
45% of private employees worked at home last week for an average of 3.7 days per week. "But there is still room for improvement," Mr Castex said.
The peak of the second wave could be reached early next week
Mr Castex indicated that he had asked the labour minister to suggest to social partners to renew the system of entitlement to unemployment insurance for the unemployed who are currently at the end of their period of entitlement during the period of lockdown
The basic reproduction number (R0) of the virus has fallen below 1, to between 0.8 and 0.9. The R0 of an infection can be thought of as the expected number of cases directly generated by one case in a population, where all individuals are susceptible to infection.
The R0 number by region in France

That said I wouldn't be surprised that the holidays were for Frenchies only as that would need be a sensible PR move for Macron et al

And OH swears blind that she read something along the lines of no etrangers but now can't find it, though I'm sure if that was the case our geezonaire WhatsApp group would be pinging like crazy?

There are many tiny resorts where it's mainly French over the holidays, it will be the big high altitude ski factories that rely on Brits, Scandis, Dutch etc that would suffer the most.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don’t ski over Christmas anyway, too many (French) tourists Laughing
snow conditions
If I'm not mistaken the R factor did dip below 1 the other day.

I would not be surprised either if the borders are mostly closed for the holidays, even if some people will slip through, both to keep from us spreading the virus/bringing it back, same for travelers from other countries.

That said, the restaurants and bars in our Parisian neighborhood flouted the restrictions in Sept/Oct like a Trump voter at a Harley rally. No wonder the virus roared back. As far as I'm concerned they didn't earn the right to reopen.

The big resorts will indeed suffer outside of the school holidays. Conversely this could help smaller ski stations as people like us who often ski abroad will stay close to home, if we ski at all.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

And OH swears blind that she read something along the lines of no etrangers but now can't find it

The French border are open but you need a valid reason for travel - they are on the attestation. If you can tick one of the boxes you can travel (note school run from Calais to Serre Chevalier probably not acceptable Happy.

If there are travel restrictions at Christmas - talk of bringing back the 100km rule - then by definition people without a valid reason to travel to the Alps will not be able to travel.

If the ski resorts open it will only be a few lifts - if there are no hotels, restaurants etc.
snow conditions
Well if the current snow drought continues can't say I'm that worried and will be a damn site less hassle & cheaper doing the family thing back in the UK rather than Serre Che.

And this time last year we'd already clocked up 4 ski tours - today being a cracker Crying or Very sad

https://stylealtitude.com/best-ski-tour-2019.html
snow report
Weathercam, have faith, the SnowGods are just having a bit of fun.
The snow will arrive, and lots of it:
It will arrive the day before it is announced that the Lockdown and Travel Ban will be extended into mid January.
snow conditions
Just as an update, Swiss police are reminding CH drivers that a number have recently been stopped and fined for not having the appropriate Attestation declaring their reason for travel, and pointing them to

https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus

as the landing page for the appropriate forms. THe other site which I used in September was the French Embassy in the UK website, which also had English versions of the form:

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-UK-and-French-travel-and-quarantine-measures

and details of the latest conditions for travel and quarantine etc. for both journeys from UK to/through France and returning to the UK from France.
latest report
Confinement = High Pressure. It was the same in March and April. Makes it a bit more tolerable tbh. Soon changes, only 2 weeks ago.

Not much changed around here. Still seeing quite a few hikers about. Have seen more of the gendarmes and police municipale about but that may just be coincidental. I've been for a run/walk up the mountain this morning, 7km/1 hour and no more than 2km from mine. Several others up there.
latest report
Just in off the Geezonaires WhatsApp

Getting disturbing news from our French friends in Flaine who have just recovered from covid.
They run the restaurant at the top of the cable car. She says that the whole resort is not going to open this season because the hospitals won’t have capacity to take ski injuries. If true could have a knock on effect elsewhere.....
Surely they will review?

https://www.altitude.news/business/2020/11/12/stations-ski-esperent-noel-hopitaux-montagne-implosion/
latest report
That is disturbing news & it has some merits to the reason, it’s going to be disappointing for us skiers but devastating for businesses
snow report
DJL wrote:
davidof wrote:
WishIWasFitter wrote:

You’re starting to sound like a French version of Stanton

Add to that that next season is going to be more expensive... Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@Weathercam, The article you have posted in French does not back up your assertion above. It simply states that there are pressures on hospitals at the current time and that this raises concerns for the start of the ski season/Christmas period.
latest report
@snowymum, fair point, I should have checked the post, but did think the source was reliable.
That's the added complication of "fake news" reports not helping the situation, but as I think we all know we're really not going to know where some of us will be spending Xmas etc
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy