Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, from our own point of view, especially in the summer, there is more open in the valley when the French kids are on holiday. Come in mid-September and things are starting to close, although it has got better in recent years.
I wouldn't choose to come in February holidays though. Christmas and New Year is different as we can maximise our time there without using up all of our holidays, an extra 3 days is our travelling time taken care of.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Summer we tend to go for “busy” periods as there is more going on. Winter either Christmas (less often NY as it’s v busy), off peak Jan or Feb or mid March. Never French vacances scolaires.

I suppose I could have said @Hells Bells +1!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But not exactly a lot of "animations" happening this time round Laughing

That said as I was skiing (XC) yesterday to from Monetier saw that they were getting that magic carpet ready.

In the Summer we go back to the UK in August as it's just not fun, especially cycling on the road!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tristero, france is actually more.... imagine what they could do if they did a bit of work Toofy Grin

Although thinking about it, uk may overtake France again as it’s probably about two to three months ahead with vaccinations etc....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B wrote:
QED

Hi Claude..Just checking your ok in your 4th holiday home in your French Chateau.Not had any insults off you in a while.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 5-02-21 20:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@saintnickle, what's a Chateua?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@saintnickle, do you like travelling ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now that you've corrected your spelling how about the grammar! It's you're not your, just the first one in case that is too confusing.

I was kind of relying on you to come back and make a dick of yourself without my help, never in doubt really.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry old chap.Didn't manage to get to public school and uni.Mind my grammar.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@saintnickle, Don't forget to leave a space after a full stop old chap!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@esaw1, absolutely. Even I, as a secondary modern girl who left school at 16, know that
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many of us learnt Grammar in junior school. Very Happy Very Happy

Most of the younger generation not helped by predictive text, that always questions which one you mean to use, prompting many to correct to the wrong option.

Although in the case of some trolls, I think "General Ignorance" takes precedence. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@saintnickle, Oh, and we don't generally use a double full stop.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Many of us learnt Grammar in junior school

I don't know how old you are, @brianatab, but I'm 74 and I didn't learn a lot of grammar either at junior school or Grammar school! And presumably you are not familiar with the current English curriculum for kids in primary school - it's full of the kind of grammar most of us were never taught. You would be expected to recognise a fronted adverbial, a relative pronoun and a modal verb , if you were 10..... And to know EXACTLY when an apostophe was needed!
snow report
@pam w, Took 11+ '71-'72.

Had to google relative pronoun. rolling eyes Been using them for years without knowing what they were called. Very Happy

Being a stickler for the use of the apostrophe, I'm very pleased that it is a compulsory element of the Curriculum. Far too many people haven't got a clue how to use one.
( I recall seeing a news article a few years ago when someone made a point of anonymously correcting shop signs.- Went to great lengths to ensure the colours/font etc. matched.)
snow conditions
@pam w, I think in your day - almost my day - they assumed you would learn your grammar from the compulsory Latin.

Latin wasn't very good on apostrophes though.
ski holidays
Quote:

Been using them for years without knowing what they were called

Precisely. So have I. I learnt good grammar by reading and hearing good grammar.

I never learnt Latin, @j b - chose German instead, which came in very useful. Plenty of grammar there, but it's not much help with English grammar being able to recite a list of German prepositions which take the accusative or the dative. (O level 1963) I struggle now with the subjunctive in French and Italian but had been using it correctly in English for years before I'd ever heard of it. "If I were a rich man....."
ski holidays
To be fair I learned almost no grammar in English lessons, nor in Latin to age 13. While I don't know the official description of grammatical terms I learned a lot of real life usage through French evening classes.

Oh..and split infinitive from Star Trek reruns
latest report
French people learn grammar. I have a Francophone Belgian friend who told me about having detentions at school - and having to write out endless lists of declensions of irregular verbs. When I spent a week at a French language school in the Alps I was in a class with a couple of Italians. The teacher would say to me, before embarking on a grammatical explanation of something like direct and indirect pronouns "You just ignore this and take my word for it - the Italians will know what I'm talking about".
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Been using them for years without knowing what they were called

Precisely. So have I. I learnt good grammar by reading and hearing good grammar.

I never learnt Latin, @j b - chose German instead, which came in very useful. Plenty of grammar there, but it's not much help with English grammar being able to recite a list of German prepositions which take the accusative or the dative. (O level 1963) I struggle now with the subjunctive in French and Italian but had been using it correctly in English for years before I'd ever heard of it. "If I were a rich man....."

You've just got to revise your past continuous now Pam and you'll be good to go
snow conditions
and any of this "grammar" have the slightest relevance to France's current lockdown?
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, ah...Good point well-made
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@skimastaaah, ah...Good point well-made

https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

thank you ...
snow conditions
Quote:
and any of this "grammar" have the slightest relevance to France's current lockdown?
Your telling me their's a lockdown in France? Laughing
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
My. Eyes. Please. Don't. Do. That.

Back on subject, still no lockdown. If more of us can avoid flouting the rules then France might even just about get away with that wave. Quite unbelievably since I keep on hearing about ski trips over the border (not just day trips, proper overnight stays), or people being fed up with the curfew and wearing masks, and hosting dinners (let alone rave parties).

But I guess the season's gone.
snow report
Not sure why the r u l e s got an hyperlink.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:

You mean ..... "You're telling me there's a lockdown in France?" ...? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@patrick!, I think they will relax the curfew soon, evenings are getting noticeably brighter now at 6pm. Another 6-7 weeks before the clocks go forward....so I just think people will be tempted to stay out longer, and there will be political pressure to open shops etc until at least 8pm.

Just a thought......and many small towns seem to have activity past 6pm, eg take-aways are allowed, so I haven’t seen any evidence of strict policing. I like the French govs current policy of encouraging people to just be responsible
ski holidays
The gendarmes drive around town here just after 6 daily. Less need for people to be out after curfew than in bigger cities.
ski holidays
Well looking at my local barometers (parking areas) I would have said it's not as busy as last week, and as ever I'm totally wrong Laughing

Friends said maybe quieter as it's the SW off this week but Grenoble and Lyon off as well so they will head this way as well but they have other options in the NW Alps.

I parked up this morning opting to XC as snow-pack is so dire for touring, though did look like more snow at altitude but just could not be arsed to ski the crud from around 1,900m down and conditions for XC were great.

I'm not too sure if this should really be in the Cross Country thread, but it is really about what it's like in resort during "lock-down" etc.

As I arrived at circa 09:30 it was again not too busy, but the XC control, a hut where you show your pass and or buy a ticket had around 20 people and as I went out on the cross country piste so there were many people out and about, I'd guess 70% learning (and most doing classic) and many an ESF instructor.

Half an hour later I skied into Monetier and that was busy, so many people out on XC gear, quite breathtaking, and the control up there must have had 40 or so waiting, normally one or two.

My neighbour is an ESF XC instructor based up there and she's been working every day but for the holidays they've obviously taken on a load more instructors. Many a group of little kids with "Biarritz" Ski Club on or something like that.

I carried on for another half hour or so and on my return leg as I came back to the more mainstream areas it was such an eye-opener to see so many people out on XC, it was also quite nerve-wracking at times as I'm used to the pistes being really empty and with so many beginners resulted in people suddenly falling in front of you and it's not that easy on XC skis to manoeuvre out of the way quickly!

Even with the lifts closed it hasn't stopped the French travelling to the mountains for their holiday, and I think I've mentioned before, I wonder, travel restrictions allowing, how many Brits would bother to holiday and take up XC this year too?

There were so many families out there with kids of all ages, I just don't think the Brits have the same psyche, as most kids in Britain (massive overstatement I know) are glued to their phones/tablets etc

I suppose the real test will be to see how many people are out tomorrow doing it, or will the novelty / hard graft factor put them off.

Should also add many a FatBike out and loads of people out walking enjoying the fine weather after the last couple of days which were probably the foulest days of the year so far.

You would not have guessed that there's a pandemic going on!

And my friend who was due out yesterday had a positive PCR test so will not be seeing him for a good couple of weeks or more now!

So interesting to hear what other French resorts are like, and Italy opening their lifts Feb 15th I hear?
snow conditions
Not that busy here tbh. I went out on the snowshoes and there were a few people about on the easier bits, snowshoes, touring skis, boards, etc. I had lunch on a picnic bench below the resort with a couple on touring skis with a guide and a couple of others on snowshoes. By chance we were talking about Claviere, etc opening. They reckon the border guards at Montgenevre aren't bothered about tests, etc.

Probably more people about on the other side. Stade open for clubs training and the blue piste from 2100m groomed for anyone skinning up.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
By chance we were talking about Claviere, etc opening. They reckon the border guards at Montgenevre aren't bothered about tests, etc.

Maybe we can send Gavin up on his bike to check up ? Happy. I'm not planning on going to Italy before May so hope things have opened up a bit by then with the arrival of early summer.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Claude B wrote:
By chance we were talking about Claviere, etc opening. They reckon the border guards at Montgenevre aren't bothered about tests, etc.

Maybe we can send Gavin up on his bike to check up ? Happy. I'm not planning on going to Italy before May so hope things have opened up a bit by then with the arrival of early summer.

Good idea Very Happy I'd be up for a couple of days skiing in Sestriere tbh. Midweek after the french hols. The woman I was talking to said you can cross country ski from Montgenevre to Claviere now anyway Laughing I'll ask some of the Italians here what the crack is.
snow report
France might be in lockdown, but was reading earlier that Madrid (open with lighter curfew, and Covid restrictions) is full of French tourists.

What's the point of having a lockdown of all your bars/restaurants, with all the economic fall out, but allowing your citizens to travel "abroad", with no restrictions on return? rolling eyes

Cue yet another extended lockdown in France? Puzzled
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
The woman I was talking to said you can cross country ski from Montgenevre to Claviere now anyway Laughing I'll ask some of the Italians here what the crack is.

I thought there was a test case in the courts last week where it was decided that the French border wasn't closed to skiers?
latest report
Has anyone been skiing the trees just above Claviere? That is one of my favourite areas (or 2 areas) for tree skiing. Or is it crud in there?
latest report
davidof wrote:
Claude B wrote:
The woman I was talking to said you can cross country ski from Montgenevre to Claviere now anyway Laughing I'll ask some of the Italians here what the crack is.

I thought there was a test case in the courts last week where it was decided that the French border wasn't closed to skiers?

ahh the case is more complex than I thought

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/bourgogne-franche-comte/jura/haut-jura/controles-aux-frontieres-les-skis-alpins-au-pied-a-la-dole-entre-france-et-suisse-le-scenario-ubuesque-se-dessine-1942366.html
snow report
Absolutely. I don't think I'd bother for a couple of days skiing if testing is required.
latest report
Claude B wrote:
Absolutely. I don't think I'd bother for a couple of days skiing if testing is required.

It seems people in Serre Chevalier can ski over the border without a PCR.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy