Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
The torrid tale of the EU's vaccinegate:
https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-coronavirus-vaccine-struggle-pfizer-biontech-astrazeneca/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anyone know in the US, where ski resorts are very much open, the level of infection that's occurring and being spread etc? Just as a model / case study for Europe to look at, they seem to be having rates reduced as a nation at the rate of 4-10k a day cases. From 259k at the start of January to 169k now. Still huge numbers, yet they have a ski resorts open.

Wish I could find out this information. Meanwhile in Europe, we are either closed (France), or just letting locals ski. Bizarre how different each country handles the same issue.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
There is talk of widespread civil disobedience if another lockdown is announced
Well that would greatly assist....in spreading the virus Confused .

May as well torch a vaccination centre while they're at, like they've done in Holland... rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Does anyone know in the US, where ski resorts are very much open, the level of infection that's occurring and being spread etc?

A quick google suggests that a couple of weeks ago new infections in the US were at an all-time high of a quarter of a million a day. Now dropping, thankfully, but still far above the level they were at any time last year.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And another vaccine in research phase:

The candidate, named RBD-SpyVLP, could be as effective in lower doses making it easier to manufacture in large quantities and be used in conjunction with other vaccines, early animal studies suggest.

https://inews.co.uk/news/science/oxford-covid-vaccine-new-candidate-effective-low-doses-839831
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, Nice article, but you have a big misunderstanding on how number French plates work now.
In days of yore each (Sous) Prefecture issued its own number plates and the last 2 digits were the number of that department. So one on my old cars was 19 YL 74 for example, another ( a Subaru) I purchased in Gap so when I bought it the last 2 digits were 06, but when I registered it to my address in HS, I got a new registration issued by Sous Prefecture in Thonon Les Bains ending in 74, so I had new plates made accordingly.
This system changed a good few years ago, to a centralised system managed from Nantes.
The Official bit (Black and white) of the number plate no longer has any reference to the department where the owner lives. Furthermore if you buy a car from elsewhere, when you register it in your name, the plate stays the same. If you buy it from a dealer, sometimes they have dealer plates which start WW, and these will get replaced after about 6 months, but even then, the new plates have no indication as to where the new registered keeper lives.
Now the little Blue and White sticky on bit is not official, and you can have anything you like there. In fact go into your local Norauto / Feu Vert and you'll see you can buy what ever one you like.
Now some drivers like people to know / think that they are locals, so they conform to the notion of getting the local dept blue and white sticker, which is why many of the cars around you may not look "local", but given that a local could have bought a car from say department 85, and they can't be bothered with the effort or expense of getting new plates made up, then they will be happily riding around with the little blue and white 85.
Conversely as you can put whatever you like, (a chalet near ours is the secondary residence of a Parisian, but he sticks a blue and white 74 on his plate when he comes down, and removes it back in the hood so wherever he goes people think he's local).
The pictures of those cars number plates are all very nice, but they are completely useless in the context you are trying to use them, by suggesting that their registered keepers have travelled some distance to park up there - it suggests everything, yet demonstrates nothing.
Apart from that, nice blog Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WindOfChange, I know what you are saying and that might be the case of 10-15% cars in our area, however, the whole point is that where they are parked is a holiday apartment rentals parking and I walk the dogs most days through there, and in inter-season there are no cars there at all.

During half term as the different regions are on holiday so the cars parked here reflect on the whole which regions are on holiday that particular week.

So currently it is a good barometer of how people are staying there mid-week and at weekends etc. I could go down on Saturday I suspect and take photos of six different cars again from different regions etc or maybe as a coincidence, they are all from the same area but happened to have bought their cars from other regions Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
I was with a couple of friends last week, one who runs one of the largest resto/bars at the foot of one of the most popular pistes here in Serre Che and the announcement had just been made that lifts would stay closed, and she was really angry, my other friend has a Gite Hotel and a number of apartments.

I was getting quite frustrated listening to the bar/resto owner at how hard they work etc etc but that tends to be the two weeks Xmas/New Year & four weeks half term compare that to a similar establishment in any major city which is open all year, and then I explained how Cornwall stays open all year and all these establishments had the same issue so it's not unique to her!

Here I'm still surprised at how many people are about and scribed a little feature on the subject yesterday.

Ouch ! That post hurt... there is alot I could say on the subject : annual v seasonal and french v english business/employment/taxation laws. Particularly in the hotel industry. And even more so in a ski resort.
But I won't ! Yes, we're all hit by the current situation... but not equally.
Come and run my hotel for a while and we'll talk afterwards...
Vent over and no hard feelings !!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WindOfChange wrote:

Conversely as you can put whatever you like, (a chalet near ours is the secondary residence of a Parisian, but he sticks a blue and white 74 on his plate when he comes down, and removes it back in the hood so wherever he goes people think he's local).

It is illegal to stick anything on your number plate so your Parisian friend would risk a 135 euro fine if controlled.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, it's not illegal at the moment for people in France to visit another part of the country, is it?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sucette, sorry about that, I did make the point that it was other cities in France and then I threw Cornwall in as an alternative seasonal example, but it was more relating to bars and restaurants as opposed to a hotel in that you could have the lifts open but you don't necessarily need the bars and restaurants as Xmas / New Year's proved.

Good friends run a hotel in La Grave and they've been far more pragmatic over things, in fact, they were saying before Xmas that they did not expect to open at all as the lift would not, and how on the other hand they had their best-ever August with French making up for the loss of the Brits and American's (big cycling hotel).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, True, although I think that's only very recently come into effect
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, yes no restrictions as yet, whether that will be on the agenda this time next week in time for HalfTerm hols I'll have to ask my Pyrenean ski bum who seems to have his finger on the pulse as much as anyone else Laughing

WindOfChange wrote:
.....Apart from that, nice blog Smile

Aaaahh maybe you're referring to the blog post my OH wrote which I've only just seen, some on here might have empathy with my long-suffering Mrs Laughing

https://stylealtitude.com/comparisson-trap-ski-lockdown.html

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 28-01-21 18:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, no probs, you just hit a twitchy nerve !!
Hotels are in the delicate position in that we're not legally closed, only our bars and restaurants are... which actually makes a huge difference in the eyes of the law re. insurance etc...
And yes, we also had our best August for a long time thank goodness ! Felt like the entire country had decided to hit the mountains ! Doesn't come close to compensating for last March/April plus this winter but better than nothing ! Hoping this summer will be the same...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At the end of the first lockdown, when I think there was a 100km rule in place, the gendarmes were stopping people with plates from different departments. I know because we were stopped, for having 13 instead of 06. In fact it was a miracle we weren't fined, because I had been on the temporary dealer plates for over a year at that point. I suppose they were only interested in covid rule breakers and not random paperwork issues.
snow report
Quote:

yes no restrictions as yet

So why all the emphasis on cars which (might have) come from other parts of the country. Isn't that good for the local accommodation providers, restaurants etc? And after all, you came from the south coast of England. It's not clear what your angle is.
ski holidays
@pam w, yes that's what I'm saying in that YES people are still visiting which is a good thing, did you read the article?
https://stylealtitude.com/life-in-serre-chevalier-with-lifts-and-bars-closed.html
ski holidays
Macron to talk Sunday... Maybe.
snow report
Copy and paste from the https://www.connexionfrance.com/

Covid-19 France: What are the options for a third lockdown?
As Covid cases in France rise again, the government is discussing new confinement measures.

We look at the options being considered

As Covid cases continue to rise in France, speculation that a new lockdown is imminent is also increasing.

The French defence council held a meeting about Covid yesterday, after which no new measures were announced, and President Macron is – so far – not scheduled to make a public address this week as he has done before previous confinements.

However, government spokesperson Gabriel Attal said yesterday that current curfew measures are not thought to be slowing the spread of the virus quickly enough.

As such, the President and senior ministers are considering different confinement scenarios that will “be the object of consultations with parliament and unions” in coming days, he said.

We explain what these different scenarios might be.

Continuing curfew
This scenario is unlikely. Mr Attal said yesterday that the current national 18:00 lockdown, which has been in place for two weeks, has been “relatively effective” but “is not sufficiently slowing the spread of the virus”.

Despite the curfew, Covid variants are still “developing at a significant pace” he said.

The UK variant now represents 9.4% of all positive tests in France taken between 11-21 January. Doctors from major Paris hospital trust l’Assistance publique-Hôpitaux de Paris have said they anticipate a “very significant” rise in Covid hospitalisations as a result.

Curfew and lockdown
Another possible option is a combination of curfew and lockdown. If the 18:00 lockdown is shown to be effective enough at slowing the spread of the virus, this could be maintained from Monday to Friday.

Then, at the weekend stricter confinement measures would come into force. This would likely limit reasons for leaving the house to essential reasons only, with travel exemption forms needed.

Introducing such a measure would effectively restrict travel between regions and gatherings of family and friends.

A ‘light’ lockdown
A lighter lockdown would be comparable to the confinement measures in place in France from October 18-December 15, 2020.

During this confinement, universities, bars, restaurants and cultural centres were closed. But schools remained open and many other businesses including factories and public services continued operating. Visits to care homes were also possible.

Travel exemption forms were needed but a much wider range of reasons for leaving the house was permitted than during confinement in spring.

This kind of lockdown could have benefits on morale and the economy, and the chamber of commerce and President of employer federation Medef, Geoffroy Roux de Bézieux, are in favour of this solution.

He told news source La Dépêche: “We are asking for the right balance, which means leaving shops open and not falling back into the slightly absurd debate about what is and is not essential, which we had in November.

“We would like schools to stay open too. If they close it has an impact on the economy.”

He added that the confinement should also as be as short as possible, to limit the economic impact.

A ‘very tight’ lockdown
This option is being seriously considered, as Mr Attal said it would have a “quick and efficient effect on slowing the circulation of the virus”.

This kind of lockdown would be comparable to the first national lockdown which began in spring 2020 – with the possible exception of schools remaining open.

Speaking about the possibility of confinement, head of LREM MPs Christophe Castaner yesterday said that the government was trying to “find a balance” between protecting but not quarantining people in France, and in this context “students should be able to go to school”.

But another possible scenario is that the confinement will coincide with the February school holidays, which would be elongated so that school children could stay at home for longer.

Jean-François Delfraissy told news source BFMTV on January 24: “We could imagine adapting the school holidays. We could maybe add an extra week, or group the holidays [for each region] during the same period.”

The idea of a strict confinement is supported by many experts. Infectious illness expert Professor Eric Caumes told BFMTV on January 25: “We must lockdown rigorously starting from now and for four weeks, rather than having a weak confinement that lasts for weeks.”

More announcements from the government are expected soon.

Think I'll just ask my Pyrenean Ski bum mate Laughing
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

It is illegal to stick anything on your number plate so your Parisian friend would risk a 135 euro fine if controlled.

Absolutely NOT. I purchased a couple of new cars since the plates changed, on both occasions the dealership asked me what I wanted for the Dept sticker, which is why I enquired if they were legally obliged to put 74 as that where I live, and they both said NO - you can have whatever dept you like.
One of my Motorbikes has 25 and the other one has 06. Both 100% legal - I know as I have been nicked a few times (once they chased me for a few KMs), and even though that time they threw the book at me, the only thing that stuck was going over a solid line to overtake. And believe me they were really looking for things as they went over the bike with a fine toothed comb. Given that there is no mandatory control techniques on motorbikes, anything they find dodgy they will nique you on, and on neither occasion did the 25 on the plate bother them in the slightest.
ski holidays
sucette wrote:
@davidof, True, although I think that's only very recently come into effect

Yeah, 2009

Quote:
Conformément à l’article 9 de l’arrêté du 9 février 2009 fixant les caractéristiques et le mode de pose des plaques d’immatriculation des véhicules : « Les plaques d’immatriculation des véhicules portant le numéro
définitif prévu à l’article R. 322-2 du code de la route doivent comporter un identifiant territorial constitué par le logo officiel d’une région et le numéro de l’un des départements de cette région. L’identifiant territorial doit être intégré dans sa globalité à la plaque d’immatriculation et être situé dans la partie utile de la plaque à l’extrémité droite de celle-ci, sur fond bleu non obligatoirement rétroréfléchissant. Lorsque le véhicule comporte deux plaques, l’identifiant territorial doit être identique sur la plaque avant et sur la plaque arrière.Il est interdit de modifier les plaques d’immatriculation ou d’y rajouter un élément ».

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 29-01-21 9:23; edited 4 times in total
snow report
@davidof, Ah ok ! In which case, I don't think they enforced it until very recently then.... !!!! wink
ski holidays
sucette wrote:
@davidof, Ah ok ! In which case, I don't think they enforced it until very recently then.... !!!! wink

I have no idea about enforcement. Don't assume that just because you heard nothing the police weren't handing out fines. The illegality has been confirmed by the appeals court so there is jurisprudence which is probably what you heard.

https://www.autoplus.fr/actualite/plaques-d-immatriculation-les-autocollants-regionaux-interdits-248153

Normally they check number plates carefully if they stop you as it is easy money if they find something such bolts rather than rivets used to fix them. Front and rear plate being different in some way etc. I'll assume stickers will be the first thing they check now though.
latest report
It says you must have a regional badge.
And that the dept number must match one of the depts in the region who's badge is used.
BUT it does not say that this has to be either the region or the dept where the vehicle is registered.

@Weathercam, like you say it very probably is people coming from elsewhere, given the other factors you mention... holiday rentals, cars not there inter season etc... My point was that number plates don't prove that alone Smile
latest report
davidof wrote:
sucette wrote:

I have no idea about enforcement. Don't assume that just because you heard nothing the police weren't handing out fines. The illegality has been confirmed by the appeals court so there is jurisprudence which is probably what you heard.

https://www.autoplus.fr/actualite/plaques-d-immatriculation-les-autocollants-regionaux-interdits-248153

Normally they check number plates carefully if they stop you as it is easy money if they find something such bolts rather than rivets used to fix them. Front and rear plate being different in some way etc. I'll assume stickers will be the first thing they check now though.

Yes that's exactly what I heard.
However I know for a fact there has been no enforcement... we have relatives and lots of friends from Corsica (you know what they're like with their island identity !!) Those that have moved to the mainland and changed cars all have 2A/2B stuck all over their number plates, add to that they tend to apply their own version of the highway code, they have all been stopped countless times and been slapped with countless fines... but never once for an illegal number plate !
ski holidays
WindBagOfChange wrote:
It says you must have a regional badge.
And that the dept number must match one of the depts in the region who's badge is used.
BUT it does not say that this has to be either the region or the dept where the vehicle is registered.

@Weathercam, like you say it very probably is people coming from elsewhere, given the other factors you mention... holiday rentals, cars not there inter season etc... My point was that number plates don't prove that alone Smile

Go back and reread what you said and what I commented on.

WindBagOfChange wrote:
(a chalet near ours is the secondary residence of a Parisian, but he sticks a blue and white 74 on his plate when he comes down, and removes it back in the hood so wherever he goes people think he's local).

It has been illegal to put stickers on your number plate since 2009. The fine is 135 euros in the first instance, 750 in the second instance, 3750 in the third instance. The illegality was recently confirmed in the appeal court.
latest report
@davidof, He's Parisisn and hence above the law Smile
latest report
Possible announcement soon ?

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210129/macron-calls-new-defence-council-meeting-ahead-of-lockdown-decision
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@muppet, Castex to speak in a few minutes with decisions for this weekend
snow report
- No travel to/from countries outside the EU from Sunday 0h (there are exceptions)
- Travel to/from EU countries need a PCR test except for frontier workers
- shopping centers > 20,000 mq2 closed excl food
- aid for workers affected
- back to teleworking where possible
- police / gendarmerie mobilized to control the rules
- increased testing / quarantine

So no real change for now but the next days will be crucial.
ski holidays
Macron has lost the plot tonight.

I don't see France being open for business any time soon.
snow report
Surprised to see French masters skiing in Zagreb. I thought travel is restricted?
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
Macron has lost the plot tonight.

I don't see France being open for business any time soon.

Care to expand?
snow conditions
He's insisted that the EU/France has access to UK bound supplies of the AV vax.

Then he went on to say it was poo-poo anyway and didn't really work.

Then he said the vax situation with NI shows that Ireland would be better as unified entity (I don't think anyone cares what he thinks about that, but it's not the kind of thing a Head of State should be saying out loud).

He comes across as being very flustered and confused.

I don't see him leading France into a situation that will enable my Easter ski hol!
snow report
I think we have bigger things to worry about than you coming skiing.
ski holidays
@timlongs, You say that, but you haven't seen me ski!
latest report
im afraid @NickYoung, is right.... macron is having a shocker, he's obviously trying to give Boris a run for his money Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I think, with a foot in each camp, Boris performed catastrophically until recently when the vaccination programme has gone very well. IMO Macron had done well, rules in France were clear and firm and the death toll is lower but recently the vaccination programme has not gone well and he's struggling with other matters.
latest report
Probably because Borris and the government has very little to do with the vaccination programme, like the ventilator build last year.
Success was inversely proportional to the proximity of a Minister or their mates.
snow report
Jameswp wrote:
Probably because Borris and the government has very little to do with the vaccination programme, like the ventilator build last year.
Success was inversely proportional to the proximity of a Minister or their mates.

So what you are saying is that boris was responsible for the nhs not ordering PPE for nhs staff yet he isnt responsible for ordering the right vaccine at the right time and getting the delivery of it to patients
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy