Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
colinstone wrote:

Even in France, aren't professional courses/training permitted??

A friend here who runs BASI courses said that exams are allowed but not training.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suppose a 10 week "training course", with an internationally recognised qualification could be classed as Educational, and therefore travel be justifiable?

Although, why not just arrange quarantine in CH, and seek permission to travel ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the Twitter thread I linked earlier, I could only find one tweet defending the group from a person who seems to have some inside info..

=========

"..dtrigger
@dtriggs1
Replying to
@EurostarJustinp

What I expect from Eurostar staff -Totally inaccurate and ridiculous assumptions made. The group were students heading to Switzerland for Education/work - totally allowed under the rules with all the paperwork and negative PCR tests etc. Now sorted and students departed.
6:58 PM · Jan 14, 2021·Twitter Web App...."

========
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is literally the dumbest thing I have heard today. I feel sorry for the kids (18-19 years old apparently), stuck in an (angry) foreign country and the focus of media attention. The organisers need to be held responsible for this, and which parent would agree with this?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Android2000 wrote:
@albob, I was thinking there is likely a link. The guy trying to get on the Eurostar with a ski/board bag! FFS.

@brianatab, if they hadn't gotten Covid and tested positive, the plan presumably would have worked like clockwork.

well the plan did work, they went into quarantine where they were discovered as Covid+. The problem is the hotel staff who have been coming and going locally so the quarantine idea doesn't work that well in practice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quarantine rules would require them to be confined to rooms, and not being in contact with staff. Meals to be delivered, not served in the restaurant.

The hotel would (should) have been aware of quarantine requirements, and implemented them. Also minimum staff rotation. Staff should also have been adhering to lockdown rules (masks etc) at all times.

On the original link, I used google translate. It said staff had all tested negative, suggesting rules had been followed.

Looks like everybody tried their best to avoid this situation. Seems they were unlucky that someone got infected, possibly during travel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
France will implement border controls to make sure that all travellers from Europe arriving by plane or ferry have a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to travel, in order to enter France.

President Macron announced the new measure, which will come into effect on Sunday, January 24, during a meeting with the European Council yesterday evening.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Covid-19-Negative-PCR-test-now-needed-for-EU-France-travel-by-plane-and-boat?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=5dc64ca10d-NewsletterOct72020_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9b5fbe85b4-5dc64ca10d-358619305
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Out of curiosity, are any 'in person' BASI courses running in the UK at the moment? Are they considered essential here?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the Telegraph, Guy Ordway from Peak Leaders is quoted as saying:

“They think they caught it on the train in France. They felt intimidated travelling on the regional trains in France. A lot of them had come from Level 4 lockdown in the UK and then found themselves on busy trains.”

Of course! It's the French's fault!

I await with some interest the results of sequencing their variety of COVID. I think many people don't understand that you can be infected, yet not show a positive test if done too soon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite understandably the French locals of Vallorcine are not amused. Even if the people entering France did so in accordance with French regulations one has to ask whether it was wise. BASI and the organisers have hardly promoted Anglo-French relations!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This whole escapade needs filing under "too clever by half"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peak Leaders statement on FB:

Quote:
We can confirm that we have had a few cases of Covid within a group in France. We are following all the guidance from the authorities to make sure it is contained.
All had travelled in the UK in accordance with UK regulations and then entered France in accordance with advice from the French Consulate in London.
Any student with Peak Leaders was given the option of a full refund if they chose not to participate in the course.
All our trainees, the authorities, and the consulate are happy with the way we have dealt with this situation.
Whilst we are a Business Partner of BASI and run our exams in accordance with their standards, our decisions are independent.

Here is the link to our statement: https://www.peakleaders.com/2021/01/covid-cases/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
French authorities think they may have picked up covid on the TGV
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Extremely risky even irresponsible trying to run courses which involve travel from the UK in the present situation
This is just more negative news about British skiers,
Gap year courses in the Alps this season would have been better cancelled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Think, with that investment, I would have arranged a small coach. Much safer. And stay in a bubble. And just go to CH, have the Q and a test there.
snow report
Why can't people use their common sense.

They deserve all the bad press and criticism which comes their way.
latest report
davidof wrote:

Is there a source for that? I've only seen that said by the British "expert" who organised the skiing course.
snow conditions
and as it is abundantly clear with the time taken for incubation for the disease a PCR test 72 hours prior to departure does not guarantee you have not caught covid, not that the way the travel industry whine you would understand this.
ski holidays
@clarky999, Peak Leaders made the mistake of posting this pathetic apology on Facebook, needless to say no sympathy and lots of anger, which I share. Self entitled gap year ladies' front bottoms.
latest report
JamesHJ wrote:
This is literally the dumbest thing I have heard today. I feel sorry for the kids (18-19 years old apparently), stuck in an (angry) foreign country and the focus of media attention. The organisers need to be held responsible for this, and which parent would agree with this?

I definitely agree that organizers need to be held responsible. But definitely disagree on your sentiments for the "kids". First they are adults. Second, I would have no sympathy for anyone who travels anywhere for nonessential reasons (no reasonable person can call this essential) who gets caught up in a situation like this. This is not new it's being going on a year. Anyone who travels must be aware of risks
snow report
>Why can't people use their common sense.

Well, they can't. Can't take their rubbish away from picnics, festivals, beaches, parks, beauty spots etcetc. So can't hack the most basic of guidance and rules.

And can't isolate if they have symptoms - in UK only 17% with symptoms isolate.

It is really easy with not a lot of common sense - if you are not in a bubble - stay away from other people. Simples!!

So that means not travelling in aircraft, trains, buses and ferries etc. As the Swiss app calculates - no more than 15 mins at less than 1.5m to a positive case(s) in 24 hours. It will be more expensive, just have to suck it up.
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

I definitely agree that organizers need to be held responsible. But definitely disagree on your sentiments for the "kids". First they are adults. Second, I would have no sympathy for anyone who travels anywhere for nonessential reasons (no reasonable person can call this essential) who gets caught up in a situation like this. This is not new it's being going on a year. Anyone who travels must be aware of risks

I did a lot of dumb stuff when I was 18-19, however, it was all without the knowledge of those who were supposed to be raising me. You can't tell me that these kids have all managed to raise 8.5 K£ by themselves. Some grownups have made spectacularly bad decisions.
snow conditions
@JamesHJ, right on
ski holidays
BASI have issued a statement concerning the Covid-19 outbreak on the gap year course.
Quote"...we are not encouraging members to travel internationally to attend courses under the current restrictions."

If that's the case then the question is who has been encouraging people to travel internationally to attend courses, presumably that would be the organisers of the course, Peak Leaders?

BASI's statement also says that for "a BASI run course, our terms and conditions would entitle members to a refund; BASI has provided all members on BASI run courses that were impacted by Covid-19 with refunds when requested since the start of the pandemic in March 2020." One wonders whether the gap year course run by Peak Leaders also offered refunds to those who wanted to cancel due to the Covid-19 situation, the statement issued by them makes no mention of refunds being available.
snow report
JamesHJ wrote:
davidof wrote:

Is there a source for that? I've only seen that said by the British "expert" who organised the skiing course.

On the France 2 TV news tonight. They are trying to trace the source of the infection and any contacts and as they entered with negative covid tests one idea is that picked up the virus on the trip down by TGV or that they contaminated other people on the trip down. They were apparently tested on arrival in Vallorcine.

Quote:
Jérémy Vallas, maire de la ville "Les tests ont-ils été défaillants, ces étudiants étaient-ils déjà porteurs du virus en quittant le sol britannique, ou ont-ils été contaminés en France, lors de leur transit en TGV?"
snow conditions
All this vitriol but they’ve only done what it feels like the whole ski industry and most of the people who live in these places have been arguing for - gone on a ski holiday and taken sensible precautions, taken tests, followed quarantine etc.

It’s only the fact they’re from the UK that enables that kind of cognitive dissonance. If people want to open lifts and have hotels full of tourists, well guess what, quite a few of them will have Covid.
latest report
colinstone wrote:
>Why can't people use their common sense.

Well, they can't. Can't take their rubbish away from picnics, festivals, beaches, parks, beauty spots etcetc. So can't hack the most basic of guidance and rules.

And can't isolate if they have symptoms - in UK only 17% with symptoms isolate.

It is really easy with not a lot of common sense - if you are not in a bubble - stay away from other people. Simples!!

So that means not travelling in aircraft, trains, buses and ferries etc. As the Swiss app calculates - no more than 15 mins at less than 1.5m to a positive case(s) in 24 hours. It will be more expensive, just have to suck it up.

Unfortunately these examples seem more to do with the state of a person’s moral compass, they perhaps think rules don’t apply to them rather than a lack of common sense. They manage to find that when it suits.
snow conditions
JamesHJ wrote:
peanuthead wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

I did a lot of dumb stuff when I was 18-19, however, it was all without the knowledge of those who were supposed to be raising me. You can't tell me that these kids have all managed to raise 8.5 K£ by themselves. Some grownups have made spectacularly bad decisions.

Yes the parents/those that coughed up the money for it must have known and endorsed the plan.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Talking of returning to lockdown. The leaks are we will have 4 to 6 weeks strict lockdown for the school holidays. The two scenarios being discussed are:

1. Lockdown from next weekend
2. Lockdown from the 6th February

The remaining argument seems to be whether to shut schools or not.

So if you want to get out and do some sport and are based in France, take advantage now!
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Talking of returning to lockdown. The leaks are we will have 4 to 6 weeks strict lockdown for the school holidays. The two scenarios being discussed are:

1. Lockdown from next weekend
2. Lockdown from the 6th February

The remaining argument seems to be whether to shut schools or not.

So if you want to get out and do some sport and are based in France, take advantage now!

Or head out of your front door at sunrise, straight up the side of the mountain, avoid the tracks and stay in the trees... !!! Toofy Grin
latest report
Interesting thread. Particularly the link to the Eurostar issue - I did think it seemed strange someone would turn up with skis like that
snow report
This week France has said it lifts will not be able to run in ski resorts at the beginning of February and likely the whole month, French ski lifts to remain shut into February and likely beyond.

And Crystal have cancelled all ski holidays until 5th March. So the biggest UK TO has pulled the plug on UK skiers for the next six weeks, at least. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@davidof,

I feel that we are talking ourselves into a third lockdown because everyone else is in one. We are still below the 3000 in icu that was a requirement before our December release. The rate of bed occupancy is only 56%. That is less than a normal winter. It’s on the rise but it’s slow.

I realise they are worried about the UK edition of the virus but signs are it has been in Europe for a while without really affecting the infection rate. Some in the WHO are suggesting the main reason for the loss of control in the UK was their December lockdown policy rather than the new strain. Go figure.

Of course it will be what it will be and we’ll all have to comply (to some extent or another). Sigh....
ski holidays
OT

>moral compass vs common sense.

A load of bollards and just management speak.

"moral compass I think about a set of personal values that guide our decision making. ... Most of us have many values, but only a few (three to five) become our “core values.” A few examples of values are: integrity, family, fairness, personal responsibility, and kindness.Oct 10, 2019"

Commonsense - don't leave rubbish behind. Moral compass - personal responsibility value - don't leave rubbish behind.

Please start a new thread and explain the difference in this case???
latest report
zzz wrote:
@davidof,

I feel that we are talking ourselves into a third lockdown because everyone else is in one.

I think the govt. enjoys getting its revenge on people.

Macron was ranting last week about "64 million prosecutors" criticizing him. He then went off on some drug induced clap trap about "fail fast, fail often" to excuse how useless he is. It's a startup meme that obviously his speech writer thought would be a great way of explaining all the balls ups over the last 12 months and Macron did once say France was the "startup nation", before the Israelis stole the idea.

Anyway 2022 and we can put an adult back in charge, if there is anyone.
ski holidays
For what its worth, I think Macron is doing a good job. And as a small French business owner, I am so glad of the support we have received. If we were based in the UK, I think we would have had to close the doors.
snow report
That's not always the case. My girlfriend has received next to bug all for her business in central Lyon which has suffered enormously. On the other hand relatives, small business owners in UK, have done rather well.

I tend to agree though that France has handled this firmly but pretty well. Although the vaccination programme is well below the curve.
latest report
@timlongs, @Claude B, well in 2022 you can vote the boy president back into office for another 5 years of chaos.
snow report
No vote for me, not even for our maire.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
No vote for me, not even for our maire.

It was an election promise of Pres. Hollande to give the vote to all residents but in the end deemed politically unacceptable to pass.

I haven't excluded voting for Macron myself either but the GJ caused major disruption as your GF will remember with city centers, especially Paris, inaccessible for weekend after weekend. Then covid, it has been a disaster for shops and restaurants.

As you said, lots of people have received nothing, it depends on a lot of factors whether you get help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy