Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
@j b, Speaking to those in Tignes, they are expecting to have to wait for the half term hols for lift access.

Also picked up on the seaonaires net that some guys were turned away from Gatwick this morning having arrived for GVA flights hoping to play the transit card to Tignes.

Friends that left on the 30th went to Liverpool for their tests, no faff except for the drive! (And now maybe Tier issues).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you get quick turnaround tests in Liverpool? A bit distant but not out of the question.

But having downloaded the linked Attestation document from the page you linked before, I can see that most of us would struggle to claim one of the categories available. It seems to be down to that pesky new variant, plus the rocketing UK cases just when France is just about keeping things in check. Even if they do open lifts - I don't have special knowledge, but it wouldn't be that high risk if they wait until after the New Year holiday period - they won't be welcoming the British straight away.

Sadly it is difficult to see UK cases getting back under control that soon, and even if vaccinations are full speed ahead without problems it will take well into March for me to benefit. I guess we can just keep an eye on whether things change for the better and create a travel window to grab.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We got into France 26 Dec having had tests on Xmas Eve. Swabs at 0900, PCR results emailed 2242. Really quick but £500.
Dover FR Customs weren't interested in the Attestations etc. Only wanted proof of our permanent address. I had a copy of a Jan 2016 letter from the Douai Marie's office which gave me a proper address for my boat moored in Douai. I could see his eyes moving left - right, right - left as he read every word, seemingly trying to find reason for a Non.
And through we went.
Chemists do free rapid tests and about to have one pm 28 Dec when it twigged that a false positive would mean quarantine and a pucker PCR test requirement, which would probably delay our journey to CH on 29 Dec. So we walked away!!
And a free Swiss rapid test yesterday as part of the CH quarantine. 10 days nominal Q, but reduced by 3 for time in France. Out of Q Mon 2359 - after holiday crowds have left, so happy.
UK isn't on 17 Dec EU safe countries list, only around 10 worldwide. Portugal has just turned off UK tourists.
Which is why I was desperate to get into EU by 31 Dec.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@j b, I think you are right, the change today makes it tricky. Friends did go on the last ferry to Belgium from Hull, the Belgians were interested in the negative test, but once they said they were heading to France, they lost interest. No border checks at all twixt Belgium and France!

They used Biograd Diagnostics, e mailed results in less than 24 hours as promised.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
j b wrote:
Thanks @chocksaway.

Mind you, we don't know whether the Jan 7th resort opening will happen anyway, the chance doesn't seem to be much better than evens.

I think you'll find that's an outside chance as opposed to better than evens.........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@colinstone, did you have to prove your boat was your "principal" residence as per the form? From your name tab you only spend part of your time there. (We, like a few others on this forum, have an address in France but it hasn't been our main abode, particularly this year).

@chocksaway, thanks, I have made a note of that company. With daughter studying in Liverpool (assuming students return this term) it would be feasible to combine test with a brief "hello".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there any chance at all it’ll be the 7th now? Presumably operators, staff etc. are going to need at least a few days notice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hold_my_biere wrote:
Is there any chance at all it’ll be the 7th now? Presumably operators, staff etc. are going to need at least a few days notice.

it hasn't been ruled out yet and there are some staff working but it might be hard to get everything up and running at short notice
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As of today no one knows if it will be the 7th. Seems very unlikely but they need to let the resorts know in the next day or so either way.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve been back in the U.K. these last few weeks looking after my (non-Covid) ill Dad, but will have to drive back home to Switzerland soon, transiting via France

As I’ll likely be exceeding the curfew time, does anyone know if this is still allowed for those transiting as I can’t see it in the current form any more? I’d rather not stop overnight en route or leave too early if possible
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitters, keep an eye on the https://www.connexionfrance.com/ they tend to cover these things.

Have to say after only arriving last evening in Serre Chevalier, gobsmacked at how many people are here, but they should all leave tomorrow.

Really don't think the 7th will happen and many are saying that Half Term will not either but that's in the lap of the Gods.

Wouldn't be surprised however like post Summer on the beaches that there will be a spike here in France after the festivities and that could well determine if things will open, hence Jan 7th is too early to make that call.

The 20th which has always been mentioned as a possible relaxation of rules fits into that schedule if there is not a post festivities spike as by then we'll know either way?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Whitters, as I understand you need the Attestation, with the box ticked for "Ressortissant de pays tiers, en transit de moins de 24 heures en zone internationale". But you may still need a negative Covid test within 72 hours before crossing the Channel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@Whitters, keep an eye on the https://www.connexionfrance.com/ they tend to cover these things.

Have to say after only arriving last evening in Serre Chevalier, gobsmacked at how many people are here, but they should all leave tomorrow.

Really don't think the 7th will happen and many are saying that Half Term will not either but that's in the lap of the Gods.

Wouldn't be surprised however like post Summer on the beaches that there will be a spike here in France after the festivities and that could well determine if things will open, hence Jan 7th is too early to make that call.

The 20th which has always been mentioned as a possible relaxation of rules fits into that schedule if there is not a post festivities spike as by then we'll know either way?

Did France have a surge in the summer from.beaches ? We didnt despite all the media saying we would
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robs1, regions like Britany and SW (Hossegor) etc that back in May were in the Green saw a massive upturn in cases come September purely due to people travelling into the areas over the summer, and you could say the same for our area (05 Hautes Alpes)
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@robs1, regions like Britany and SW (Hossegor) etc that back in May were in the Green saw a massive upturn in cases come September purely due to people travelling into the areas over the summer, and you could say the same for our area (05 Hautes Alpes)

That's interesting as in the uk we didn't get a surge according to official figures, the press here went into meltdown about Bournemouth beach a couple of times with pictures etc showing huge crowds, several were not even taken this year as there was a fire on the cliff and it was in the photos they printed.

Numbers bad here now and heard today of a friend in his mid 70's who died from it.
snow report
@j b, thanks. I can’t see this on the current form, just something about travelling due to a late/early flight or train, so is this an extra attestation that you’re aware of, or maybe it has disappeared from the form?
ski holidays
@Whitters, it was a download from the web page that @chocksaway provided the link to above.
snow report
@j b, ok thanks I’ll take a look
snow report
@Whitters, assuming you found the link but just in case ........https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestations-de-deplacement-couvre-feu. Still allows for break of curfew for ''[ ] Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys; ''
latest report
j b wrote:
@colinstone, did you have to prove your boat was your "principal" residence as per the form? ....

No, just accepted letter from Marie's office with address.
FR Douane wasn't interested in the various Attestations or the Symptom free certificate.
snow report
@colinstone, thanks, it is interesting that that was the important evidence for them. While things aren't looking that optimistic for travel very soon, it does suggest for an apartment-owner simply having a copy of the tax notice in your name giving a French address might keep them happy.
ski holidays
Rapid testing available for £80 at the Holiday Inn Folkestone close to Eurotunnel.

https://just-health.co.uk/rapid-antigen-test-folkestone-dover/
snow conditions
That seems reasonable and well worth it
snow report
@KathE, thanks. I’m not sure if that covers my journey though as the eurotunnel train will just be at the starting point in France rather than the end so I might be pushing the boundaries of the exception rule here I think!
snow report
Confirmed. Ski lifts to remain closed for the foreseeable in France.
snow report
@davidof, a link or more info would be useful
snow report
@davidof, plus 1, I’m not surprised but would like to know more
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You won't get past UK police at Eurotunnel without a valid Covid travel test certificate with personals and passport number on it. The rapid flow test was used to clear the lorry drivers, but not sure if it is still valid for normal travellers??
ski holidays
Announced on the TV news this am. Further discussion next week.
ski holidays
Was it official from a government spokesman?
latest report
The locals are sure going to be fit from all that skinning that’s for sure!
snow conditions
Alpinebear wrote:
Was it official from a government spokesman?

No. The govt spokesman said no public places like theaters or cinemas. It seems to be from briefings to the press. Hopefully something will be published later. It has been on a couple of TV News channels this morning (France 2, BFM TV)
ski holidays
Still nothing concerning lifts opening.

The minister for SME doesn't think bars and restaurants will open on the 20th of this month which doesn't look good for resorts.
ski holidays
Alpinebear wrote:
Still nothing concerning lifts opening.

The minister for SME doesn't think bars and restaurants will open on the 20th of this month which doesn't look good for resorts.

No I've seen nothing in print but the govt. isn't very courageous for announcing bad news.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Announced on the TV news this am. Further discussion next week.

Nothing official announced yet. I believe there will be an announcement on 07 January (the notional date when lifts would open) and the closure will be extended at least
to February. French infection numbers are not going down overall, not going up either.
ski holidays
FWIW there's absolutely no work happening on the pistes in front of me, regardless of Jan 7th.

Two to three weeks before the resort opens the bashers would be out doing their thing, especially now given the 10-15cm over New Year, you'd think that they'd be bashing that down at least as preparation for Feb, but they're not doing that even.
ski holidays
They've done quite a lot here. Fair few pistes bashed for ski clubs and for ski rando and cross country over the holiday. Blasting has been going on too. I've just got back after 2 weeks away, will take a look in the morning.
ski holidays
Quote:

you'd think that they'd be bashing that down

@Weathercam, would you? I'm guessing but I would expect that any decent resort can probably get most of its pistes bashed overnight. So - obvious longevity issues aside - why bother in advance - especially if drivers are not yet all contracted, and more snow is expected?

I'm not convinced it's an indicator.
ski holidays
Does bashing the snow help preserve it for later in the season? I was up at Brevent in Chamonix last week and they’d pisted a surprisingly large amount of it. It’s not being used by clubs as far as I can tell so I’d be curious to know why they did it. That said it probably doesn’t cost much once you have the equipment and you’ve got at least a few people working anyway. Could be training new drivers I guess.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy