Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
Without any snow Christmas or no Christmas, it is bald men fighting over a comb at the moment. Even Val Thorens would probably have put back its opening 19 November opening if there were no covid restrictions.

LOL!

Puts things into perspective. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ma94jcg wrote:
Crystal have just cancelled our holiday to Les Arcs on the 19th December. Was expecting it, but now it is official.

They are offering up to 20% additional credit if we want to amend to another booking (maybe Easter...?)

Try a week later. Then if it gets cancelled another 20%? wash & repeat.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nelbert75 wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Nelbert75 wrote:
R number is positive at 0.64

Puzzled
Is there a different calculation for R number , its always positive surely and 0.64 implies falling numbers fairly rapidly.

I meant the news on that is more positive than the current situ with the hospitals

Ah apologies I misunderstood what you wrote. Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
Without any snow, Christmas or no Christmas, it is bald men fighting over a comb at the moment. Even Val Thorens would probably have put back its 19 November opening if there were no covid restrictions.

Laughing Laughing love that!!!

yep, I was looking at the VT webcams and it's looking very sparse at resort level for this time for year.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Prices for condos, hotels, and vacations in Feb to Apr will rocket.

Everyone in Europe will try and squeeze 4-6 months of skiing into just a few weeks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The ESF are getting in on the act.

https://www.skieur.com/actu-incomprehension-syndicat-national-moniteurs-ski-francais-demande-revision-mesures-annoncees-emmanuel-macron?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to admit I also find it strange that it was announced they would let the ski resorts know within 10 days and then suddenly Macron said what he did The day after! Why not just put them all out of their misery now if that’s what is going to happen. Maybe that was his way of voicing his opinion. Also wonder how much influence Italy and Germany have...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Claude B wrote:
Yes french visitors tend not to spend as much during the holidays, or at other times come to that.

because the salaries are lower than the UK with more tax, and less easy credit available, so there is less money to spend.

Aren't they simply a bit tight? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Prices for condos, hotels, and vacations in Feb to Apr will rocket
Possibly - but no one knows that for sure. But if so, plenty will pay it after going stir crazy for 12 months... wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The feeling I got from Macron’s chat last night was that he didn’t want to open before New Year but might have to depending on what happened in other European countries.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
Without any snow, Christmas or no Christmas, it is bald men fighting over a comb at the moment. Even Val Thorens would probably have put back its 19 November opening if there were no covid restrictions.

Very true
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:

Very true
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Compagnie des Alpes join in now.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/economie-social/la-nouvelle-eco-la-compagnie-des-alpes-croit-encore-a-une-ouverture-des-stations-de-ski-a-noel-1606311965
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B, I'm sure you're seeing posts on FB extolling the virtues of how even without skiing spending your Christmas in a ski resort can still be full of wondrous things to do Puzzled

And that's without them even mentioning the fact that there's still no snow!

Macron could do a U-Turn (save face etc) and announce that resorts will open and they will have a reprieve, but how many people will actually book with the current lack of white stuff and no restos and bars open etc and that's before they even really put their thinking caps on and deduce that queues will be horrific if only chairs and drags are open?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice to see many resorts in the US opening and as usual considerable amounts of snow.
snow report
@Weathercam, yep, no skiing, no snow, no bars, no restaurants ....... Puzzled
ski holidays
James77 wrote:
Nice to see many resorts in the US opening and as usual considerable amounts of snow.

Ski resorts and bars open, schools closed. Very different set of priorities in the US...
snow conditions
Looks like the EU is trying to close down all resorts in Europe until mid Jan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55081476
latest report
russ_e wrote:
That's what you take from that article? That the wicked EU is trying to force all ski resorts to close?

rolling eyes
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
russ_e wrote:
That's what you take from that article? That the wicked EU is trying to force all ski resorts to close?

rolling eyes

Rob, who mentioned anything about a wicked EU? The headline reads 'Germany seeks EU deal to close ski resorts'. Seeing as Germany run things I believe my original statement to be correct.

In fairness it seems a sensible thing to do, what's the point of France being closed if Italy is open?
ski holidays
Quote:

Seeing as Germany run things I believe my original statement to be correct.

If Germany did in fact "run things", then there would be no need for a meeting with other EU states to agree a deal, or what that deal would involve.
snow report
French PM will confirm no skiing at Christmas.
snow report
I wonder if the Swiss will tow the line with the EU plan or whether they will just chase the money.

At least the Scottish resorts will be able to open on Jan 1st wink
snow conditions
russ_e wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
russ_e wrote:

rolling eyes

Rob, who mentioned anything about a wicked EU? The headline reads 'Germany seeks EU deal to close ski resorts'. Seeing as Germany run things I believe my original statement to be correct.

In fairness it seems a sensible thing to do, what's the point of France being closed if Italy is open?
So the main Alpine countries are having a discussion about whether it's a good idea to agree to delay opening the resorts? Will Sweden and Finland be involved? Croatia, Spain? Czech Republic, Greece?
ski holidays
One would hope so as they are in the EU Smile

You would imagine that a French business owner will be pretty upset if the rest of the EU is open but they are closed. Germany, France and Italy are behind the policy I'm not sure how much of a say the rest actually get.

I wonder if the SNP will follow suit in solidarity with our EU friends? If they don't the wind probably will!
snow report
@chocksaway, what "EU plan"? There is no steenkin' "EU plan".
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
I wonder if the Swiss will tow the line with the EU plan or whether they will just chase the money.

Everything here says we'll be opening first week in December (assuming it snows, which looks unlikely).
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
French PM will confirm no skiing at Christmas.

Which he now has done.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, no lifts to run before January but ski resorts will be accessible, presumably for touring, cross country, snow shoeing etc.
ski holidays
@zzz, well, that'll bring the hordes won't it? Can hardly beat the show-shoers off with a merdey stick usually.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/glpqCyF6OFM

So we are invited to go to ski resorts over Christmas for shopping, restaurants, bars and cinema. But no (alpine) skiing. rolling eyes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-11-20 11:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Ski resorts: the ski lifts will remain closed at Christmas

If the ski resorts will be able to accommodate holidaymakers during the end-of-year holidays, the practice of alpine skiing on the slopes will not be authorized, however, confirmed the Prime Minister.

"We felt that the epidemic situation and that the situation of hospitals in the regions concerned, in particular in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes and Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, do not allow us to consider an opening for the Christmas holidays", a- he stressed, believing that "it would not be prudent to allow very large flows of populations to come together with activities likely to require hospital services".

Jean Castex said that the ski resorts would be easily accessible during the holidays. Only the ski lifts and public facilities will remain closed to the public
snow report
Looks like sledging instead this Christmas..
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@chocksaway, what "EU plan"? There is no steenkin' "EU plan".

If you want to argue semantics maybe a proposed EU deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55081476
latest report
@chocksaway, point me please at the EU law that would even allow such a restriction?

BBC making 1+1=5
snow report
@ldudley,

Quote:
So we are invited to go to ski resorts over Christmas for shopping, restaurants, bars and cinema. But no (alpine) skiing.

Except no bars, restaurants or cinema either rolling eyes
snow report
davidof wrote:
Even Val Thorens would probably have put back its 19 November opening if there were no covid restrictions.

They have plenty of artificial snow ready to be spread around. Pretty sure they would have opened just fine if it wasn't for this nonsense.
latest report
Alpinebear wrote:

If the ski resorts will be able to accommodate holidaymakers during the end-of-year holidays, the practice of alpine skiing on the slopes will not be authorized, however, confirmed the Prime Minister.

How does this make any bloody sense? They will open the virus spread hotspots but not the actual skiing where everyone stays apart and wears ski masks?
snow report
Verbier's open. Just saying.

Switzerland's at the epicenter of the epidemic but hey, there's no such thing as dirty money.
latest report
Oleski wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:

How does this make any bloody sense? They will open the virus spread hotspots but not the actual skiing where everyone stays apart and wears ski masks?

I think it may be due to the extra burden on the hospitals through ski injuries.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy