Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
snowymum wrote:
... I don't think anyone will be given a choice of being airlifted to Brittany.

You're right that people won't be given a choice; they will just be taken to wherever has space. In Belgium some patients have even been taken out of the country.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leaks suggesting 15th January for opening ski resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Somebody has told me that france 24 has said lockdown has been extended to February? Hope that's wrong, anyone heard that ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robs1 wrote:
Somebody has told me that france 24 has said lockdown has been extended to February? Hope that's wrong, anyone heard that ?

Not official but various dates are being talked about.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok he has now put up the article it appears it was cafes they were talking about being shut till 15 th at least nothing open over the hols except takeaway, cant see the French taking that well
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe/reconfinement-bars-cafes-et-restaurants-ne-rouvriront-pas-avant-la-fin-de-l-annee-2020-1605552713?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1605553725
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

cant see the French taking that well

Christmas isn't quite the commercial jamboree in France that it is in the UK.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe/reconfinement-bars-cafes-et-restaurants-ne-rouvriront-pas-avant-la-fin-de-l-annee-2020-1605552713?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1605553725

Hmm. So the minister says that epidemic is continuing to ebb. He's hopeful. We shall see.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, I agree, I see many of the French families who stay in our residence come home for lunch or take a packed one with them, often eating it while sharing a plate of chips and a drink in a 'self. We've got a couple of picnic rooms now though. They may eat out once or twice at lunchtime, but will often eat in their apartments at night, with the possible exception of Friday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Early to mid Jan would make more sense than just before Christmas.

Any re-opening before Christmas would just invite a couple of weeks partying and back to square 1 by Jan.

That would apply to all European Countries now back in lockdown.

Far better to lose a couple more weeks early on than risk wiping out the rest of the season.

(Apologies for bursting the bubble of anyone who was hoping to be away over the holiday period)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
@pam w, I agree, I see many of the French families who stay in our residence come home for lunch or take a packed one with them, often eating it while sharing a plate of chips and a drink in a 'self. We've got a couple of picnic rooms now though. They may eat out once or twice at lunchtime, but will often eat in their apartments at night, with the possible exception of Friday.

Last year we took a sandwich with us most days , eating out can get very expensive if your there for 8 wks, normally had a chocolate somewhere most days though and ate out once a week .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brianatab wrote:
Early to mid Jan would make more sense than just before Christmas.

Any re-opening before Christmas would just invite a couple of weeks partying and back to square 1 by Jan.

That would apply to all European Countries now back in lockdown.

Far better to lose a couple more weeks early on than risk wiping out the rest of the season.

My bold, but I'm not sure that's right. Christmas and New Year are two of the most important weeks of the season from a money-making perspective, the others being the various holidays in Feb. I suspect most resorts would rather sacrifice January and March/April!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yeah, @brianatab, what @clarky999, types. In a normal year, new year week was 15-20% of our income. - not that this would be a normal year.

But anyone I'm talking to would much rather be full on for xmas and NY and then close for a few weeks running up to vacances scolaires.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serre Che is busy the Christmas week but not as bad as High Season February and then the following week incorporating New Years is on a par with February High Season.

Christmas Day on the Mountain is always very quiet.

Could well be that Serre Che is very French along with many second homeowners, so Christmas week is for the Family and they don't come up and then they arrive en masse for New Years week.

Each day I'm more resigned to Xmas in the UK however for various Brexit reasons I'd like to be in France before Dec 31st ski resort open or not, not that it bothers us as we'll go touring, of course, if that's not banned as well rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
Serre Che is busy the Christmas week but not as bad as High Season February and then the following week incorporating New Years is on a par with February High Season.

Christmas Day on the Mountain is always very quiet.

Could well be that Serre Che is very French along with many second homeowners, so Christmas week is for the Family and they don't come up and then they arrive en masse for New Years week.

Each day I'm more resigned to Xmas in the UK however for various Brexit reasons I'd like to be in France before Dec 31st ski resort open or not, not that it bothers us as we'll go touring, of course, if that's not banned as well rolling eyes

That's our plan too, regardless of deal or no deal.the french will play silly bugs on the first so we aim to be over early on the 31st, only issue may be we cant get in our accommodation until the sat so need a hotel if they arent open it will be a problem
ski holidays
Talking to a French friend who owns a number of ski related businesses in Flaine last night.
He is very well connected at local and national level as an ex coach in the national team etc as well as a Guide and member of board of the regional organisation for guides.

He hasn't got a clue as to when/if the resort will open.
Basically there is no information or consultation going on.
The decision will be taken at National level and then the Prefecture will implement it.

Pick any date you like...it's just a guess after all.
latest report
is it even possible with numbers being down, that is not even financially viable to open the lifts?
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:

Pick any date you like...it's just a guess after all.

There's no date because not even the government know when it will be. The dates of the 15th Jan or 1st Feb have been leaked by the govt and are probably what they are thinking of currently but the situation may change and these dates will probably just be a return to school / work / university.

It depends on the hospital situation and infection rate but if the hospitals in the French Alps are at capacity you wouldn't expect a de-confinement to be imminent. Add to that the government saying we 'are a long way from a deconfinement'. The government has announced an 'adaption' from the 1st of December not a deconfinement. That means some small shops may open. Kids sports clubs will restart where it is safe. Pres. Macron is due to speak next week, that will probably mean bad news in the short term wrt to easing restrictions. Currently the state of medical emergency has been extended to the 16th of February 2021 and the Prime Minister has said that deconfinement will be "very" slow and will probably last to the arrival of summer.
snow conditions
Deaths in Isère +34% for a 10 week period from 1st September. It had been pretty stable the previous 2 years. For the rest of the region

Loire (45%), la Haute-Loire (42%) et la Savoie (41%). Suivent la Haute-Savoie (31%) et le Rhône (26%).

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/economie-social/34-de-deces-en-plus-en-isere-entre-le-1er-septembre-et-le-9-novembre-1605909916?
snow report
Place your bets for what the President will say next Tuesday night.

Suspect a few more businesses and little else to emerge. I suspect the hospitals are still to busy to cope with an influx of skiing injuries.
snow conditions
From the Connexion - but their guess is as good as ours, and I think the hospital capacity issue will be the crux.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Macron-to-announce-lockdown-next-steps-Tuesday-evening

The reopening of non-essential shops at the beginning of December and the opening of ski stations are believed to be two measures being considered by the government. Mr Macron is also expected to set out plans for the Christmas holidays and beyond.

Going to be interesting to see how it pans out, ski resort open with lifts running and shops open, but no bars and restaurants open, or just with very limited capacity outside?

And will Macron just limit travel to the French?

And just looked at the forecast and no snow to speak of up to December 1st along with webcams showing pretty dire conditions from Serre Che to Tignes!

But now does look cold enough for snow- making.
snow report
Quote:

cold enough for snow- making

running cannons in Chamonix's in town slope this morning. -7C at 05h30 ... snowHead snowHead brrr
ski holidays
They were running them here yesterday but may just have been ongoing tests. First time though that snow has been produced rather than just water vapour.
latest report
Col du Lautaret this morning taken from the webcam, and that face is SE facing but still very dry!

The actual Col du Galibier is just to the right of the picture, so that is circa 2,600m

Thing is they have to prepare the pistes now, for it's that artificial snow as a base that will last through to the end of the season, that's if we have one rolling eyes

snow conditions
Alpinebear wrote:
I follow John Litchfield on twitter His number crunching is pretty good 10

What’s the Twitter handle for John Litchfield please?
ski holidays
5RED wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:
I follow John Litchfield on twitter His number crunching is pretty good 10

What’s the Twitter handle for John Litchfield please?

@john_lichfield I think
snow report
He's just done his numbers for the last week. Things improving.
ski holidays
The govt. and ski resort operators are in talks today about reopening.

There are a number of ideas being discussed.

Possibly reopening but to local skiers only, the prime minister has talked about this already in a general sense but it is unclear how this will fly with the idea of allowing people to travel unlimited distances during the Christmas 2 weeks. The government is also trying to reach agreement with the Swiss, Italians and Spanish to have a common policy on opening.

Medical advice is to not open cable cars and gondolas with bars and restaurants also being closed.

A third wave of Covid infections is forecast some time in the New Year now so it may be a case of opening over Christmas then closing again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, and more of the same..........

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-s-ski-season-remains-in-doubt-due-to-Covid

Down to the wire I think as we all know?
ski holidays
Thanks @davidof and @Weathercam for the inside track on local speculation. It does sound that they could well decide the risk would be just too great of allowing resorts to open over Christmas. Somewhere higher up the thread you said there was a story that opening might be permitted once the New Year was over, but economically that would only be viable with financial aid from the government - particularly if further restrictions were deemed necessary over half term.

We have decided to cancel our booked flights for January and February - if skiing is possible we will minimise our own exposure by driving despite that being an unattractive prospect in winter. But we are in the fortunate position of having a place to go to, and flexibility with timing.
snow report
We should know a bit more later or tomorrow about what is planned. Again it will depend on the figures which are still not great in the French Alps.
ski holidays
>Possibly reopening but to local skiers only, the prime minister has talked about this already in a general sense but it is unclear how this will fly with the idea of allowing people to travel unlimited distances during the Christmas 2 weeks. The government is also trying to reach agreement with the Swiss, Italians and Spanish to have a common policy on opening.

Still planning to go to boat in N France on 21 Dec for Xmas, then to CH, Berne canton, 30 Dec till late/end March. Berne canton looks reasonable and most of the problems in CH seem to be in the French speaking areas. Might just be possible???
latest report
Me girlfriend is really worried. She believes that she'll be able to open her shop in Lyon 1e soon but that confinement will not change much. In which case she won't actually get any trade Mad
snow report
For the ski resorts it would be good to get some visibility at last but apparently their representatives have told the PM they want a later decision as the Covid-19 situation is still not great and hope that maybe delaying to around the 10th December on whether to open or not will be favourable.

As for CB's GF, very very difficult even with govt aid (if and when it arrives). Half of small shops may go bust.
latest report
@davidof, yes, she's fortunate in some ways as she owns her shop. Many others that are nearby and rented have already closed. She got very little from the government for the 1st confinement and doesn't believe she'll get anything this time.
snow report
Claude B wrote:
@davidof, yes, she's fortunate in some ways as she owns her shop. Many others that are nearby and rented have already closed. She got very little from the government for the 1st confinement and doesn't believe she'll get anything this time.

Has the french government given much aid to businesses in either lockdowns ?,
ski holidays
robs1 wrote:
Claude B wrote:

Has the french government given much aid to businesses in either lockdowns ?,

They promised 10k per month but few seem to have seen it
latest report
@davidof, has there been/is there a self-employed support scheme?

I'm wondering about how ski instructors, guides etc. will fare over winter if skiing is very limited.
latest report
For self employed (auto-entrepreneur) there is help upto 1500 euros per month.
ski holidays
@Alpinebear, Thanks. Ouch.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy