Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
DJL wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
I can hear the thread drift police in the distance. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hardly, @andy from embsay is hoping for a summer trip as am I.

Exactly! I think the main thing that will decide whether France stays locked down/inaccessible is their vax programme and what happens with variants!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DJL wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
I can hear the thread drift police in the distance. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I was gently poking fun at the thread drift police, not the drifters.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ringingmaster wrote:
DJL wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:

Ah. I think nuance is getting increasingly misplaced on Snowheads at the moment (by me here). May be one of the effects of current and previous lockdowns and emerging increased grumpiness all over the place (including me).

Now that is a thread drift Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alpinebear, It must be very frustrating. Not sure why there are so many regional differences, a differing set up in health services??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DJL wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
DJL wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:

Ah. I think nuance is getting increasingly misplaced on Snowheads at the moment (by me here). May be one of the effects of current and previous lockdowns and emerging increased grumpiness all over the place (including me).

Now that is a thread drift Laughing

Any thoughts on helmets at all? wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@andy from embsay, Yes! I may wear one for Jab 2, as I have been known to faint when approached with a needle.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
@andy from embsay, Yes! I may wear one for Jab 2, as I have been known to faint when approached with a needle.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, who knows. There is an expat lady who I know who is 73 but she lives here alone. She is on the waiting list with the pharmacy and the doctors for the vaccine but she still hasn't been called yet.

I've offered to drive her to Grenoble for an appointment but she prefers not to(thinks she is being a nuisance).

I can understand cities being a priority but frustrating when you read about other areas being able to offer the vaccine to more people.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to check where in your department vaccination appointments are available you can use this website -
https://covidtracker.fr/vitemadose/#dep-01

Obviously, selecting your department number.

At this point you need to be in one of these groups.
1) Avoir 70 ans ou plus.

2) Être professionnel du secteur de la santé et du secteur médico-social et avoir plus de 18 ans.

3) Avoir entre 50 et 69 ans inclus et souffrir d’une ou plusieurs comorbidités.

4) Avoir entre 18 et 69 ans inclus et être à un très haut risque face à la COVID-19 (ordonnance médicale nécessaire pour se faire vacciner) – voir la liste des pathologies à très haut risque sur la page dédiée à la vaccination, accessible depuis la page d'accueil Doctolib ou sur le site du ministère des Solidarités et de la Santé.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
.....and if by magic the pharmacy have just called with an appointment for next Friday and the 2nd vaccination date for July!

She is very happy with the news.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alpinebear, great news!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alpinebear, I didn't realise France was adopting the "British" vaccine interval - is this new? I thought Macron was very proud of his second doses.

From a lockdown perspective, the early UK data would suggest a wider dose spacing/greater coverage strategy appears the most effective way to use the vaccines, which bodes well for France getting back out of "lockdown lite".
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowdave, looks like it's 3 months between vaccines. Not sure what the French and British intervals are? If longer than the norm may be because of supply to the more rural areas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, Well certainly Minister Drain (sic) was saying France should not suffer a drop in vaccine supply because of British policy on vaxxing and second doses. Clowns.
Also hearing tonight that some of the younger cohort Vax bookings in Bourg St M have been cancelled...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Criteria for “green” rating being considered is 50% of adults with one jab (Times today):

The government is understood to be considering prioritising travel to countries where 50 per cent of adults have had at least one coronavirus vaccination. That would initially limit travel to a small number of foreign destinations.

France expected to hit that milestone by June 15th - as are most European countries. Review of policy on 28 June - still suggests summer could be ok if the current lockdown does its stuff and vaccine prog continues as planned.

So getting to the Tour start in Cluses at the beginning of July might still be a goer!
ski holidays
Alpinebear wrote:
@snowdave, looks like it's 3 months between vaccines. Not sure what the French and British intervals are? If longer than the norm may be because of supply to the more rural areas.

Evidence on a longer gap between AZ vaccines increasing effectiveness seems pretty robust now so you’d expect them to go for 12 weeks? Some suggestion that could also improve efficacy v SA variant too - but there’s so little SA about that proving anything is tricky. Ironic we have a variant that we’re concerned may make vaccines less effective, but we can’t prove it either way because the variant itself is so rare!
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
Some suggestion that could also improve efficacy v SA variant too ...
That would be encouraging. Where did you see a reference to that?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
Some suggestion that could also improve efficacy v SA variant too ...
That would be encouraging. Where did you see a reference to that?

I think it’s a bit of a “read across” job. From memory there’s some evidence that AZ produces more antibodies after a longer interval. The SA study everyone worries about used shorter intervals and I think stopped the test after 28 days. Other jabs (Pfizer, I think) proved more effective so the assumption is AZ will be more effective than the SA trial suggested, had it gone on longer and used the optimal dosing strategy.

But it’s all informed supposition rather than evidence as there’s so little SA variant around anywhere AZ is in use.
latest report
@andy from embsay, OK, thanks.
snow report
@rob@rar, if you don’t already, have a look at a Twitter acc called @sailorrooscout - she’s a boffin working on Moderna vax but explains a lot of the more impenetrable science posts well. Her take is AZ will definitely protect against serious disease for all variants and reduce viral load, and therefore slow transmission.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
Criteria for “green” rating being considered is 50% of adults with one jab (Times today):

The government is understood to be considering prioritising travel to countries where 50 per cent of adults have had at least one coronavirus vaccination. That would initially limit travel to a small number of foreign destinations.

France expected to hit that milestone by June 15th - as are most European countries. Review of policy on 28 June - still suggests summer could be ok if the current lockdown does its stuff and vaccine prog continues as planned.

So getting to the Tour start in Cluses at the beginning of July might still be a goer!

We are hoping for that too but not booking anything until the last minute, just in case but fingers crossed
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:

We are hoping for that too but not booking anything until the last minute, just in case but fingers crossed

We’ve got a few flights booked that were originally booked for Jan/Feb, so we just keep moving them back!
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
@rob@rar, if you don’t already, have a look at a Twitter acc called @sailorrooscout - she’s a boffin working on Moderna vax but explains a lot of the more impenetrable science posts well. Her take is AZ will definitely protect against serious disease for all variants and reduce viral load, and therefore slow transmission.
Thanks, I'll do that [Edit: - already do, it is a very helpful commentary]. I know the South African study of the Oxford/AZ vaccine which showed no efficacy against the B.1.135 variant, and like you I think its conclusions are not especially helpful as it was a very small study (around 2,000 participants), used the worst possible dosing schedule for the Oxford/AZ vaccine, and took place at a time of transition from the original variant to the South Africa variant so the actual number of infections with B.1.135 were so few as to make for very shaky conclusions. This was reflected in incredibly wide confidence intervals (95% CI, −76.8 to 54.8 ) for their secondary endpoint of efficacy against that variant.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 9-04-21 8:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Not sure if it's relevant, but 12,500 people in Schwaz district have been recruited for a study after vaccination. This is the area where 100k Pfizer jabs were deployed to combat the spread of the SA variant – the second dose is going out right now.

Pfizer not AZ, so not quite what you're looking for here, and I'm not sure how much info will actually be gained – there are now only about 13 SA cases that are still “live”, so not big numbers at all.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
Not sure if it's relevant, but 12,500 people in Schwaz district have been recruited for a study after vaccination. This is the area where 100k Pfizer jabs were deployed to combat the spread of the SA variant – the second dose is going out right now.

Pfizer not AZ, so not quite what you're looking for here, and I'm not sure how much info will actually be gained – there are now only about 13 SA cases that are still “live”, so not big numbers at all.

I think they’re reasonably confident in Pfizer’s efficacy against SA variant already, aren’t they? It’s whether the effectiveness of Pfizer, Moderna and (particularly) Novavax and J&J (as I think they’re the same tech as AZ) reads across when AZ is used optimally and after a longer interval. I think I saw a study with Pfizer working very well but the real benefit kicked in after 28 days.
latest report
Well, if it's any indication of "urgency to vaccinate" in France, or the "acceleration" much touted by Macron, I saw my GP today who has put me (aged 54) on the "priority" list due to pre-existings...

Next available appointment?

May 12 .

Hey ho!
snow report
.....phone call from Allemond doctor asking me to go tomorrow for the AZ vaccine. 50 with no pre existing conditions.

Over 500,000 vaccinations in France in the last 24 hrs up to 17h30.
snow report
@Alpinebear, if only I was so lucky.

I think it's (disappointingly) an enormously heterogenous distribution.

My GP was hoping that her practice could have started doing it themselves but her retired predecessor who would have done it can't get re-registered, or something.

I might pop into my local vet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I had my name down on two lists, one here in Bourg d'Oisans and one in Allemond. I mentioned that I was available at any time to come in.

Also work sent out an email asking for people to register with their medical provider.

Another expat here sent an email and put a letter in the post box of a nearby GP explaining they were available at any time.

They were called in within 48 hours.

Do you have a local pharmacy you could register with?
snow report
Alpinebear wrote:
.....phone call from Allemond doctor asking me to go tomorrow for the AZ vaccine. 50 with no pre existing conditions.

That's a really good daily rate, and if it keeps up France is well on the way. Thank goodness.
latest report
GreenDay wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:

That's a really good daily rate, and if it keeps up France is well on the way. Thank goodness.
Germany has vaccinated over 700,000 per day for the last couple of days as well. Shows they have a delivery system that is effective if they can get the supply side sorted out. Hopefully this reflects more European countries getting in to gear with their vaccine roll-out.
ski holidays
@Alpinebear, there's also a "reserve" site that we've registered with (I'll find the address). There must be some OAZ lying around unloved?
latest report
here if anyone is interested https://www.covidliste.com/
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:

Germany has vaccinated over 700,000 per day for the last couple of days as well. Shows they have a delivery system that is effective if they can get the supply side sorted out. Hopefully this reflects more European countries getting in to gear with their vaccine roll-out.

I definitely think that the supply is the issue, I got my first jab in U.K. this week at one of the hubs. It was extremely well organised with 50-70 vaccine stations & at least 200 staff, yet I counted less than 10 people in getting vaccinated! Why? I know the demand is there & now I know that the facility is there, so it only leaves availability
snow conditions
Definitely a supply issue, the evolution chart on Vaccintracker shows that first doses are pretty much tracking deliveries. I hope the predicted surge in available doses in the next month or so materialises as Mr HH and I are getting close to being allowed to get jabbed.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
I know the demand is there & now I know that the facility is there, so it only leaves availability
I agree. That’s the case here in the UK, across the rest of Europe and around the world. I think the only place which might be the exception is the USA which seems to be sitting on a stockpile of tens of millions of doses, although at their current vaccination rate that’s probably only a week’s supply. Even Israel is now negotiating with Pfizer for more supply.
latest report
@Jonny996, I see you are in Edinburgh - was that the EICC?

My wife got hers there last week (mine is tuesday) and the nurse who administered her dose said they could jag thousands more each week but that there was a supply problem.

They were all very frustrated. As you mention, it is all set up really well and has the ability to throughput many more doses each day.
snow conditions
@GreenDay, yes EICC. & I honestly think they have throttled back on staffing due to supply. If they were working at capacity the numbers would be rather impressive
snow report
Quote:

I honestly think they have throttled back on staffing due to supply

Well, one would hope so - no need to be paying overtime
ski holidays
@Jonny996, blimey - that is a huge vaccination facility with 50 to 70 stations. We have a mere 4 at the place we volunteer. And we only pushed through 220 people on Thursday afternoon as it was the end of a two day session. It was lovely to see some of our oldies back that we recognised from first time round. Definitely a few around with varying degrees of mental issues so although at times we looked as if we were ‘over-marshalled’ outside there were occasions when one or two of us were carefully ushering people along and encouraging them in. We all agreed that the weather was much better than we had endured in mid January.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy