Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, I would have no problems with Parisiens if they a. Learned to drive and b. Picked up after their dogs.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Lots of local folk in the French Alps hate the vacanciers, especially the Parisians, but they don't usually have such a good excuse.

In Chamonix we like hoilday makers and tourists, but we have a real problem with vacanciers, because they are French! - The savoyard reasoning isn't just anti colonialism (Savoie was an indipendednt country until 1860). It's the french want a discount on the few things they might buy and won't pay for any services (Guides, resturants, bootfiting etc.) - the rest of the world is welcome, they know you go on hoilday to spend money!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing Laughing Pretty much the same here. The Brits are most loved in the bars as we drink the most Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
has anyone scene the micky Flanagan sketch about the French pizza maker? v funny..... i love france but find the french often quite grumpy and no massive fans of the english, i speak passable french so i make the effort but in my experience theres a few that i come across that really give the impression that they are doing you a favour by letting you spend your money with them Laughing ... not all of them by any stretch but a noticeable % bearing in mind that you would think that they would be doing all they can for you spending cash with them and they work in the hospitality industry (the clue's in the title) Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
France is a great country just a shame about some of the residents, mind the same could be said about most countries, have to say the Italians are generally very friendly
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Italians are generally very friendly

"We might as well be" said one to me, year's ago, "unless you're in the right family, a hardened criminal or, preferably both, you might as well give up materialism and just be nice to people".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robs1 wrote:
have to say the Italians are generally very friendly

Fantastically so from what I saw in Alleghe during Snowmageddon, when the villagers went out of there way to look s when a large party od snowheads marooned itself on them. Absolutely kind, helpful and hospitable to their core.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A quick question. Under the new restrictions announced by Castex on Thursday, am I allowed to visit a department “sous surveillance” from my home in the Haute Savoie? I’ve searched the French press but can find nothing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I dont really like stereotyping nationalities. Every country has the grumpy and unhelpful - I can think of a few UK publicans who fall in that category. Every country has people who do not like to spend money, or perhaps more relevantly, cannot afford to spend money. We like to think of France as being a rich country - my suspicion is that it is like the UK, only rich in parts but that since the Alps and skiing are part of the way of life people try desperately to stretch their finances to support that ski vacance
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Claude B wrote:
Laughing Laughing Pretty much the same here. The Brits are most loved in the bars as we drink the most Shocked

A sight I often see and can never really understand is when a group of French sub 20 yr olds are in a bar for a couple of hours (waiting for their appts to come free?) with one or two cokes between them, using the WiFi whilst there's a group of hardened Brit drinkers wanting a seat Laughing

So hopefully last day or so of the vacancieres that said was with my friends last night who have a number of apartments and their phones were still pinging with bookings, all last-minute weekend bookings etc think that could well be the new norm unless we go into more of a restricted lock-down?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My local is heaving on a normal Saturday all day with people doing exactly that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajc2260626 wrote:
has anyone scene the micky Flanagan sketch about the French pizza maker? v funny..... i love france but find the french often quite grumpy and no massive fans of the english, i speak passable french so i make the effort but in my experience theres a few that i come across that really give the impression that they are doing you a favour by letting you spend your money with them Laughing ... not all of them by any stretch but a noticeable % bearing in mind that you would think that they would be doing all they can for you spending cash with them and they work in the hospitality industry (the clue's in the title) Laughing

They allow you to holiday in one of the world's most beautiful countries and just expect a little bit of gratitude in return. Is that to much to ask?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My French is pretty ropey but I’ve always had great service in shops, bars and restaurants when I at least try and ask in French

Even my - j’ai un petit problem avec mon surf, le binding is broken Embarassed got my board sorted free of charge in a ski shop
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tristero, absolutely not to much to ask, but all I ask in return is that they smile and be friendly whilst I am spending my hard earned cash with them..... I’m assuming that you would think that’s not too much that ask also?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have seen several times the difference in service and attitude in France when you try and speak their language in their country than they give to some arrogant British skier who cant even bother to ask for a beer in French , and who can blame them.
snow conditions
@robs1, Absolutely, I can remember back to my alpine climbing days in the early 1980s. Climbers of all nationalities in Chamonix used to hang out at the old Bar National (before it became a restaurant), and Maurice, the proprietor was friendly and cheery enough, except he would completely ignore anyone who tried to order beer in anything but French. It was quite amusing watching the few, mainly Americans who just shouted louder in English - how hard is it to learn "Une biere s'il vous plait".

I must say that in general I have found the French a pretty friendly bunch - I think ski resorts though are the worst place, I have much better experiences from cycletouring through proper rural, small town France.
snow report
Based on my experience of France, albeit limited to 5 or 6 visits, I suspect the view that French dislike foreigners, or are arrogant, or whatever, is at least partly due to confirmation bias. You meet a rude Frenchman and walk away muttering “typical”, forgetting that your last 5 interactions have been with lovely people.

I can only remember one rude encounter in those visits. Or, maybe they just like Australians better… Very Happy
snow conditions
Meant to say as well though, that my perception is that standards of service in France have deteriorated over the years. It may just be my rose tinted perception of the past, but I have often felt that French bar staff and waiters do not seem to have such high standards as twenty or thirty years ago.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
My French is pretty ropey but I’ve always had great service in shops, bars and restaurants when I at least try and ask in French

Even my - j’ai un petit problem avec mon surf, le binding is broken Embarassed got my board sorted free of charge in a ski shop

But it's awful and embarrassing when I attempt to speak simple French and they respond with a shocked, contorted, non-comprehending face - as if I've spoken Mandarin. Shocked
snow report
@Bergmeister, really? I think my French language skills are about the same but I mainly have a good reaction that you tried. And I do think the stereotype of the rude French is much overstated. I encounter many more and much more rude people in London.
snow conditions
Reminds me of my first ski trip, in Austria, trying to order a round of drinks in my best German, only to be met with a blank stare. The Barmaid was from NZ, and her German was worse than mine. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@RobinS, you are right, small French villages providing coffee stops when cycling are brilliant. To be fair, it is probably much the same as if a French cyclist asked for a coffee in an English village, as long as your speak their language however poorly they will engage.

Ski resorts are different, some cater mostly for international visitors and aren't prepared to show patience to a faltering French speaker. Others appreciate your attempts but will switch to English once they recognise their linguistic competence is greater and if there are other customers waiting.
snow report
Dragging this back on track from the predictable stereotypical brit french bashing. Weekend ban on drinking in the streets has started here. There was a very obvious police presence with 3 police municipale walking around all afternoon keeping their eyes on the places where people had been congregating to drink vin chaude, beer, etc. On the other hand there was a funeral service in the church with loads of people inside and outside. Ex instructor I guess given the number of red uniforms in attendance. After today I suspect it will be very calm here although I'm still hearing of a reasonable level of bookings. I guess people just want to escape the cities for a few days.
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
Reminds me of my first ski trip, in Austria, trying to order a round of drinks in my best German, only to be met with a blank stare. The Barmaid was from NZ, and her German was worse than mine. Very Happy Very Happy

Had a similar incident in les carroz an Aussie bar maid and I trying to communicate in french, also couple of years ago went for lunch in aussois and french waiter wanted to practice his english me my french,
latest report
@Claude B, Don't know if they got the memo about the outside drinking in Morzine, as they was a big urn of Vin Chaud on the table outside Schuss Pizza on Saturday, and plenty of beer consumed at the skatepark. Though I don't imagine there'll be much of that going on for a while now, as it's been snowing for 24 hours, it's cold and that's due to continue all week.
On the plus side, there's dial-a-jab available in Chatel in at the moment, so I'm off to get a dose in my arm today.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Departmental arrêt so just Isère. There has been something similar in Lyon too for some time. Surprisingly busy in town yesterday morning but that may have been a result of the poor weather and being unable to do much else. I'm off to the docs for my jab at 14.05 too Very Happy
snow conditions
@Claude B, Our doc said to take a Doliprane an hour before hand - not really sure why though as that's a paracetamol based drug, and if its to do with fear of blood clots, then you need aspirin, not paracetamol. Furthermore, I believe you need to take low-dose aspirin over a period of time for this prophylactic approach to blood clots, not just a one off.
Gonna take a Doliprane anyway - even though I don't know why:)
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, My sister and daughter both had flu like symptoms with AZ for 48 hours so I'm expecting similar. Got some paracetamol from uk so I'll have that ready.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B, Thanks for the tip heads up. I'll get some whisky, honey and lemons on the way back so I am prepared.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Saw a report recently that said you should avoid alcohol for a couple of days after the jab, as it slows the immune reaction. Sad
latest report
Our experiences of the AZ vaccine. 4 adults late 50s, 5 young uns in their 20s. 3 of the adults' felt a bit off colour and 2 went to bed early, 24 hrs after the jab.

All of the young uns felt dreadful for just under 24 hrs with flu like symptoms, all went to their beds, but were fine after. It sets off the immune system and the better the immune system, the bigger the reaction.
snow conditions
If I understand this, a fast acting immune response gives flu symptoms, but a slower response means you don't feel as bad?
I'm 52, so don't based on what's reported above, I should be in the second one?
snow report
I think it's also affected if you have had covid. I'm 53 and the doctor who administered my AzOx jab yesterday said as I had had covid I was more likely to have side effects than theppears 1:3 who get them without having covid.
I'm feeling a little rough today and my arm is very sore but compared to covid it is not at all bad.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Possibly. My daughter is only 25 (with asthma) so she was quite bad. I'm 62 so hopefully...... Very Happy
ski holidays
Would that suggest that the faster the immune system responds, the less likelyhood of you being contagious for a couple of days?
snow report
I had the AstraZenica jab and my wife the Pfizer one. Neither of us had any side effects at all. In fact my wife was convinced they hadn't actually innoculated her until the antibody blood test results came back. We are both showing the same results for the vaccine produced antibodies.
latest report
Quote:

Saw a report recently that said you should avoid alcohol for a couple of days after the jab, as it slows the immune reaction.

I saw that too - but a day or so too late, after I'd had those celebratory drinks.
snow report
@pam w, Smile SmileSmile
latest report
I had chorizo and mushroom rissotto and red wine after, no side affects from jab. Red wine readily available, wife's awesome rissotto not so available.
ski holidays
Just been done. I opted for a bar of dark chocolate with nuts instead of wine as a treat Shocked Not like me at all Laughing

Obviously trying to catch up. Stream of people being done, mostly older than me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy