Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski/board jackets with lotsa pockets anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sick of looking at pictures of ski jackets where they appear not to give a hoot for the pockets or pride themselves on giving you only 2 small pockets on the chest. I want 4 pockets on the outside just for starters, to carry water, a sarnie, sunglasses and so on. And lower down where they are out of the way. Anyone know of a brand that still believes in carrying stuff in your pockets rather than carrying a daypack?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hebairt, you sound like me Happy

I recently bought an O’Neill jacket, which met my minimum criteria for number of pockets.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know a number of people that have had rib injuries from crashing with stuff in their pockets. I prefer empty pockets with a backpack (which has a built-in back protector) which is also handy for a spare clothes layer etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, +1.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I know a number of people that have had rib injuries from crashing with stuff in their pockets.

Never heard of that one before.

Most jackets have huge "hand warmer" pockets, breast pocket and a lift pass pocket on the sleeve. Many also have inside pockets with little icons on them suggesting use for mobile phones. I have skied back from Arc 1800 with wine bottles stuffed in pockets, meat, veg and a lettuce down the front of my jacket. No problem at all - apart from the odd looks I was getting. The lettuce barely fitted.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More pockets means I can spread stuff out more and more comfortably.

My normal stuff I have spread around:

Piste map
Sunglasses
Neck scruff
Lift pass
Small pack of tissues
Small tube of sun cream
Lipsil
Credit card
Small amount of cash.
Room key
Mobile phone
Radio

This spread all around while skiing is quite flat. This with only two pockets as some coats got for creates uncomfortable bulges which I could see having more possibilities of creating injury.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I know a number of people that have had rib injuries from crashing with stuff in their pockets.

Never heard of that one before.

Most jackets have huge "hand warmer" pockets, breast pocket and a lift pass pocket on the sleeve. Many also have inside pockets with little icons on them suggesting use for mobile phones. I have skied back from Arc 1800 with wine bottles stuffed in pockets, meat, veg and a lettuce down the front of my jacket. No problem at all - apart from the odd looks I was getting. The lettuce barely fitted.

Ooh yeah, I've a mate who broke a couple of ribs by landing on his camera stashed in his jacket. Probably would've been okay with a lettuce though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, I broke ribs because of a radio in a chest pocket, and an avalanche transceiver in a harness. Now keep transceiver in trouser pocket and refuse to bother with radios (which aren’t reliable anyway). But clearly I’d not have suffered so much had it been lettuces in my pockets.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For what its worth, ive never seen a ski jacket which only has 2 pockets. If you're talking about shell type jackets then those are intended for climbing/alpinism where lower pockets interfere with harness / rucksack straps.
Happy to be enlightened if you can show me an example?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Roguevfr, it feels to me that the ladies jackets have less. Think it is the cut being different but noticed one jacket I spotted in the mens that I liked, when found the equivalent ladies one had less pockets.

Shells are definitely worse which I use in April skiing (last season excepted of course)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, Ladies don't need pockets coz we always carry handbags rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hebairt, Schoffel

@Roguevfr, Arc'teryx

I use a small day pack Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
@NickyJ, Ladies don't need pockets coz we always carry handbags rolling eyes Laughing

Happy

I believe my husband said something similar (right before saying ouch) when I was moaning about it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
radar wrote:
@Hebairt, Schoffel

@Roguevfr, Arc'teryx

I use a small day pack Toofy Grin

Arcteryx? What about them ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Roguevfr,
Quote:

For what its worth, ive never seen a ski jacket which only has 2 pockets. If you're talking about shell type jackets then those are intended for climbing/alpinism where lower pockets interfere with harness / rucksack straps.

Arc'teryx have two pocket jackets, though the lift pass on your sleeve could count as a pocket which would make it three
ski holidays
I'm sure they do, but as I explained above they're probably not intended as ski jackets per se.
Simply naming a brand which probably produces 50+ models of jackets is not giving an example.
latest report
my planks jackets has 6 pockets on the front, along with some inside for phone, gloves, etc.
snow report
I never wear a Backpack, so always get a Jacket with several pockets (currently in a Salomon).
In the past I have even resorted to stitching a couple of the pockets on the inside (ripped out of an old Jacket...)
snow conditions
@Roguevfr,

Here you go, ski and snowboarding specific jackets

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/macai-jacket

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/cassiar-lt-jacket
snow conditions
I think not, Radar, I've got an Asterix and it's as bad as any of them in terms of pockets. And cost a fortune.
snow conditions
Thanks for the Planks tipoff, lotsa pockets even if the models wearing them look 100 years younger than I do.
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@Roguevfr,

Here you go, ski and snowboarding specific jackets

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/macai-jacket

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/cassiar-lt-jacket

Whilst those jackets do appear to only have 2 external pockets, they are in the traditional place, I.e handwarmer pockets , as opposed to those high on the chest which is, (I think) what the original post was bemoaning. Most ski jackets and shells have at least one internal chest pocket for phone etc/ which doesn't make for comfortable carry if there is an external pocket placed over it. The Macai and Cassiar LT have 2 hand pockets, an internal chest pocket and a mesh dump pocket, as well as the pass pocket.

The only jackets in their ski range with high chest pockets as far as I can see are Guide jackets, which are definitely intended/designed to be worn with a rucksack and/or harness.
ski holidays
@Hebairt, the Schoffel is for you they have four external pockets, plus one for your ski pass in the arm.

The Arcteryx is there to illustrate a ski jacket with two external pockets.
latest report
radar wrote:
@Roguevfr,
Quote:

Arc'teryx have two pocket jackets, though the lift pass on your sleeve could count as a pocket which would make it three

Not always, my Arcteyx shell has two hand pockets, two chest pockets and a sleeve lift pass pocket - large enough for lip balm etc. too.
There's also an internal zipped pocket and a mesh dump pocket.

If you dont want to carry a pack, look at something like a utility vest, similar to what the patrollers wear
https://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/wear/acessories/the-north-face-powder-guide-vest/
snow conditions
This thread has inspired me - Going to go out this weekend and look for the new ABS Jacket they've apparently just released due to Snowhead demand, they call it the Michelin-man......it's the one that has a C02 canister sewn in, airbags in the sleeve uppers, and plenty pockets where I can stow my skins, water bottle, wooly hat, shovel, probe, spare layers, spare gloves, glove inners, snacks, sunglasses, radio, phone, wallet, buff, camera, spare pair goggles .....only issue is I don't know where I'd put the sunblock and room key?
snow conditions
My Northface powderflo has hand pockets, chest pockets and a sleeve pocket - plus two on the inside. Always takes me ages to find the piste map (which I invariably find I've stuffed in one of my trouser pockets to make it easier to locate ...)
latest report
@Pejoli, Happy

Since I got new trousers with of pockets, that has made my demand on jacket pockets less and yes put the piste map there for same reason now that I can.
snow report
Yes I had a North Face jacket that had those pockets. It wasn't great quality, or expensive, but it did have the pockets. It was draughty, I remember that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But no photos available for the Powderflo on TNF's website at the moment.
snow report
Look at Planks - a British brand.... Got it for the whole family, and all have plenty of space for stuff Happy
latest report
I's just sayin', I just bought this from SportPursuit and I'm really pleased with it, though the chest pockets are not large at all. But it does have lotsa pockets and plenty other good features, warm and everything. SportPursuit only has it in size Large but they will deliver in two days, and still have some left. https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1981511
snow report
Mammut Stoney HS. 3 big pockets on outside front - though my 2 year old had 4. Lift pass pocket - actually use trouser left hand pocket as ticket is then in centre of detector panel. Inside wallet/phone left side and goggle pocket right side. Got £30 for suggesting switch inside pockets over as most transceivers sit on left side.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy